[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are albums being made by women vastly overrated by the media
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5
File: womyn.jpg (113 KB, 787x536) Image search: [Google]
womyn.jpg
113 KB, 787x536
are albums being made by women vastly overrated by the media and wannabe critics? I don't know about you but I feel this to be kind of a politically correct thing. Most of the time they release "quirky" pop/electronic albums that aren't bad but aren't good either, just kind of meh. Then you check opinions & reviews out there and they're like OMG BEST EVER. What's your take on it?

pic related:
>Grimes: suuuuuuucks. Her only purpose is "tee hee i'm a weird girl!". Omegas' waifu

>Kelela: She's good but she's an Aaliyah rehash. Nothing original here.

>Julia Holter: Started good with her first album, but got worse since then. Her last two albums are the most boring thing I've heard.

>Holly Herndon: She has good ideas and the tracks are well executed but c'mon, she's releasing EP's disguised as full albums. Lots of pointless interludes that add nothing.

>FKA Twigs: booooooooooring. But she's female, quirky AND black, so clearly she's going to be the hipster media darling for a long time

>Laurel Halo: Great first EP, downhill from there. Every album she releases is more disappointing than the previous.
>>
eh, i mean i could cherry pick a bunch of the critically acclaimed albums this year made by male musicians which were also mediocre.

like i don't get the high praise for tame impala, panda bear, jamie xx, sufjan, kendrick, father john misty, etc. ALL the "tastemaker" publications are corporatized - based on what will appeal to the readers who like "non-commercial" "obscure" music which is safe glorified pop in all actuality.
>>
>>60352485
pretty much.

Though only one you have a point with is Kelela, OP. If she was not a hip Ethiopian, no one would care. She's so derivative of Twigs and Little Dragon.
>>
>>60352430
>Julia Holter: Started good with her first album, but got worse since then. Her last two albums are the most boring thing I've heard.
you objectively didn't listen to them then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5M8qRN_Rl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wql7tG_jwJA
>>
>>60352542
>you objectively didn't listen to them then?

No, I subjectively listened to them.
>>
>>60352568
You couldn't have considered the thoughtful compositions if you think LCS is a boring album
>>
I don't think so, no. At least, not anymore than shitty albums made by men are overrated.

desu though I think we're seeing a bit of a shift towards gender equality in music right now. A lot more female songwriters and female-fronted bands out there, whereas before it was still a little bit of a novelty outside of radio pop
>>
>>60352430
That's literally your opinion
You against everyone else that likes it
If you want to dismiss it because they just like them for being black/women/gay that's on you, nothing new btw
>>
They're all talented, But what you said is accurate. Pitchfork gives them all 8.0s-10.0
>>
>>60352633
>Pitchfork gives them all 8.0s-10.0
Laurel Halo - Hour Logic: 5.8
Laurel Halo - Quarantine: 8.0
Laurel Halo - Chance of Rain: 7.4
>>
>>60352647 Well I was close. I'm surprised Ian Cohen gave her an 8.0. He hates everything except for The Promised Ring and Title Fight
>>
File: 93-atxl.jpg (77 KB, 500x777) Image search: [Google]
93-atxl.jpg
77 KB, 500x777
>>60352430
Melt Banana is one of the best noise-punk/grindcore bands that gets lots of critical acclaim and most of their songs are written by Yasuko. Fuck you.
>>
>>60352485
>>60352598
>>60352620
>>
jesus christ you guys have shit taste in female musicians
>>
>>60352778
>muh joanna memesom
>>
>>60352485
>i don't get the high praise for tame impala, panda bear, jamie xx, sufjan, kendrick, father john misty, etc.
Spot on.

Can't understand the fawning over any of these artists' work this year.
Jamie xx's album is atrocious.
>>
>>60352778
Julia Holter and Laurel Halo are good.
Obscure music isn't better than popular music, you should know that.
>>
>>60352798
i don't listen to joanna newsom so idk what you're on about here
>>
>>60352798
Joanna Newsom is literally the most talented musician in popular music right now
>>
>>60352430
>>FKA Twigs: booooooooooring.
Opinion discarded

Also, Holly Herndon is one of the top 5 producers in the world right now, you unbelievable pleb.
>>
>>60352800
i know that. what does that have to do with anything?
>>
>>60352821
because usually you base your opinions on taste off of whether or not their taste is obscure or not
>>
>>60352430
No, you're just sexist. Tell me the new Tame Impala, Kendrick Lamar and Jamie xx albums aren't also overrated.

The media and 'critics' pander to a certain audience for traffic. It's got very little to do with gender. They just praise entry-level and/or extremely popular music with an image, in the hopes of attracting the many people who may gravitate towards that kind of music (usually people who want to feel like they like 'experimental' music without putting in much effort).
>>
>>60352830
no i don't, i base my opinions on whether something is good or not. popularity or lack thereof doesn't concern me, seems like a waste of time to think about that.
>>
>>60352778
OP does at least.
>>
>>60352430
some female artists are massively ovverated, some are underrated and some are receiving a fair treatment, just like male artists.

good list btw, everyone of them is overrated as shit, they're good but I don't get all the hype desu
>>
>>60352838
>popularity or lack thereof doesn't concern me
then you hate most all moderately popular music
>>
>>60352847
huh
>>
>>60352818
I agree but honestly OP's criticism of her albums basically just being EPs with interludes is pretty accurate. If all of Platform was an expansion on the ideas of the first two songs rather than a couple songs like that and a shitton of useless interludes and 'artsy' asmr then it could have been a contender for aoty.
>>
saddest thread in a while desu
imagine some sad fucking neckbeard sitting in there being mad and salty about different opinions and making threads about the politically correct menace elevating "bad" albums to high ratings
>>
>>60352893
he's right though :^)
>>
>>60352891
>I agree but honestly OP's criticism of her albums basically just being EPs with interludes is pretty accurate.
Yeah, but that's not a valid enough criticism to write her off. OP is just biased as fuck and it's pathetic.
>>
>>60352893
imagine you posting in it as well
woah
>>
>>60352893
Spotted the butthurt SJW
>>
>>60352891
I didn't think there was much filler on the album besides the ASMR. It's not AOTY but it's pretty good
>>
>>60352931
Da evil SJWs are gonna burn your crops and kill your parents.
>>
>>60352925
I'm not writing her off. You know, we had "Chorus" making the rounds for a long time before her album dropped, and when it did, it left me wanting more just for that very reason; they're EPs with interludes. She's quite good but needs to add more substance to her albums.
>>
>>60352925
It honestly doesn't sound like OP was writing her off as bad; compared to the other descriptions hers seems pretty positive and just describes why he thinks she's failed to make something truly impressive.
>>
>>60353015
If you say so, but you contextualised her in a thread of "overrated" female musicians, half of which aren't overrated at all.

I completely agree about Grimes being overrated, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 938x97) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 938x97
>>60352838
>popularity or lack thereof doesn't concern me, seems like a waste of time to think about that
>>
>>60353154
is there a point to this? i didn't like that album, not my kind of music at all.
>>
>>60352969
Its true desu they hate every cis white person so they would given the chance
>>
File: 1410048298351.gif (2 MB, 200x223) Image search: [Google]
1410048298351.gif
2 MB, 200x223
>>60352430
Misogyny. Littledicks.
>>
>>60353422
White knighting. Cavernous vaginas.
>>
>>60352430
The Grimes album is great, tho
>>
>>60352430

Female artists are over\underrated at the same rate as male artists. What you're demonstrating is something called confirmation bias, and it's hilarious that you can't see it.
>>
>>60353422
need a name senpai
>>
>>60352430
By the time something has tits everyone thinks its a form of power so yeah....
>>
>>60353434
You prefer it up the arse that's why you hate women. Gaybody.
>>
>>60353520
>Female artists are over\underrated at the same rate as male artists.

I think OP point is that female artist , not all, but mostly get overrate because they are women. Since they are women, their albums are looked upon as "something new" , "inspiring", "creative", or "pushing boundaries" . People think that women aren't being treated fairly in the music industry , so here comes whiteknights and SJWs putting any woman with a decent at best album up on a mantle as one of the most innovating artist ever. Men, however, are mostly judged on their music. Unless he's mainstream, a male artist making an average album will not even be looked at.
>>
I disagree, OP. a lot of my favorite work happens to be made by women right now.

I would however take issue with the way that critics and a lot of current applications of theory always only bring attention to their being women, and women in relation to power and privilege etc. rather than letting their work be much more than that... which it is (and, in fact, so often not at all about politics but a richer reflection of experience, formal experimentations around materialities of flesh, technology, spirit, etc. - and yes there is always that feminine thing there but it doesn't have to always be taken as a 'feminist fuck-off')
>>
>>60353697
>Unless he's mainstream, a male artist making an average album will not even be looked at.

There are many, many female artists making average albums who don't get a look at either. There are even more women making mind-blowing albums that don't even get a cursory glance. It's nothing to do with what genitals someone has. A lot of it is just purely luck if your mediocre album gets picked up by mainstream media, or by having contacts.
>>
>>60353971
This post completely mirrors my opinion on the subject too.
>>
>>60354027
>A lot of it is just purely luck if your mediocre album gets picked up by mainstream media, or by having contacts

This goes for both genders.

There is a lot of sucking dick going on in the music industry, and they don't discriminate who does the sucking.
>>
Just listen to Chelsea Wolfe.
She's still better than any of those gals.
>>
>>60353971
I disagree entirely with OPs post but this has been bothering me a bit too. Grimes' discourse online about feminism makes it relevant to a discussion of her music / public image, but I feel like a lot of writers seem to give her extra credit for simply self-producing, as if it's impressive that a woman was able to use a DAW... it's cool that she has subverted industry standards, but I find it a bit hard to believe that some of the production on Art Angels would be getting the same level of astronomical praise without the background of subverting industry misogyny and 'hipster culture' (as if embracing pop isn't just a new movement in hipster culture?) that it has.
>>
Julia Holter is great
Laurel Halo is pretty good too
Grimes is shit
FKA Twigs is trash
FKA Twigs clone is trash as well
I've only listened to Platform by Holly Herndon and that was a pretty good album.

>>60354252
I love Chelsea Wolfe. She's pretty good too.
>>
>>60352744
>Melt Banana
>grindcore
k.
>>
>>60354370
Listen to their early stuff like the split with Discordance Axis.

>>60352430
OP your problem seems to be that you only listen to trash. Matana Roberts, Chelsea Wolfe, Joanna Newsom, Timbre, LoneLady, Natural Snow Buildings and many others released good/great albums this year but I agree that all the artists in your chart (except Julia Holter) are shit tier
>>
>>60352430
>Every album she releases is more disappointing than the previous
In Situ was pretty good though.
>>
>>60352816
>makes a point to sing poorly since it's the only way she has to prove she has some sort of personnality
>muh redundant arrangments
>"deep lyrics" aka stylistics 101, literally the same stuff a litterature freshman would write
>gimmicky harp
at best she is style over substance
>>
>>60354410
i'm not going to let somebody who listens to chelsea wolfe & lonelady get away with calling laurel shit tier
>>
>>60354410
>Natural Snow Buildings

NSB are literally my all time favourite artist but they're a duo of a man and a woman so not really the same as the other solo women you named.

A better example if you're wanting a drone/folk artist to put would be Grouper or just the folk elements then Islaja.
>>
>>60354486
Her harping is the only thing I really like about her.
"Gimmicky" is on the list of meme criticisms.
>>
I want cybermisogynists to leave.
>>
>>60354514
The harp brings nothing that isn't already provided by the overproduction.
It is, by definition a gimmick, which is neither a good or a bad thing.
>>
>>60352542
>>60352568

anthony fantano here. you're both subjectively dicklickers.
>>
shit on all the others but leave laurel halo out of your shitstorm. chance of rain was great especially the percussion, and she lacks the gimmicky aesthetic and hyper feminist crap that keeps the others relevant. Grimes is a good songwriter but a godawful person to listen to and her music has been hit or miss since 2013. fka twigs was mostly good because gay autechre produced her old stuff. Julia borders on boring and pleasant but isn't as noteworthy as she's made out to be. Holly will only "experiment" as much as what the average opn or james ferraro type fan is comfortable with. Never heard kelela
>>
>>60354524
Yeah, but her harping on Nervous Cop actually contributes to the music.
>>
>>60354539
>Holly will only "experiment" as much as what the average opn or james ferraro type fan is comfortable with

this

many better female electronic producers than her, also.
>>
>>60354539
>leave laurel halo out of your shitstorm

yeah op FUCK OFF
>>
i can't believe how edgy of a faggot OP is, and how everyone underneath him is just trying to out-edge him by shitting on anything the least bit accessible.

>Holly will only "experiment" as much as what the average opn or james ferraro type fan is comfortable with.

What the fuck do you guys listen to all day? Dishwashers? Fuck!
>>
>>60354581
Name some? I'd like to listen
>>
>>60354639
ursula bogner, daphne oram, annie gosfield, christina kubisch, hildegard westerkamp, laurie spiegel

>>60354634
you're a fucking retard, holy shit never post again
>>
>>60352485
Sufjan has been an indie darling for over a decade, long before they really started commercializing the genre.

I will agree they overhyped C&L a bit but he still doesn't really deserve to be in the same category as those others.
>>
https://twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/665204886963929088
>>
>>60354538
fantano'd
>>
>>60354732
>but /mu/ told me he's a MRA redpiller!
>>
>>60352485
i can totally understand the praise for father john misty even if i dont agree with entirely

and come on kendrick's album was fucking fantastic
>>
Fantony i know you're seeing this

WHY THE FUCK ARENT YOU DOING FREDDIE GIBBS TRACK REVIEW
>>
>>60354732
>passive aggressively tweeting about /mu/ at 8:30 am

fantano r u ok
>>
fantano just wanna ask you bro
why'd you rate meek mills album higher than mbdtf
>>
>>60354732
kinda proves the point of some posters here, women must be protected and coddled from back critics, and thus we're not allowed to criticize them ever, subject them to a different standard. the real misogynists
>>
Hello memethony memetano.

Why are there almost no bands with mostly all female members? Is it because women are mostly incapable of any sort of loyalty and sacrifice?
>>
>>60354825
passive-aggressiveness is the name of fantano's game dude
>>
>>60354870
I meant bad critics
>>
>>60354877
It's actually because most women don't get along with each other well enough to share the vulnerability of a creative process.
>>
did we forget that music was subjective or no?

I don't like the Julia holter album because a critic gave it a good score, I liked it because I liked it.

There's no objective score to an album.

This thread sucks.
>>
Kekthony of Akkad I heard you let Thunderfoot drill your wife's cunt is that true
>>
https://twitter.com/theneedledrop/status/665210054329651200
>>
Hey Anthony you fat fuck. When are you gonna review the new Anna von Hausswolff album?
>>
Dude A N D is a strong competitor for AOTY and tricot is all gals.
>>
>>60355043
tricot is cool but the vocals ruin it for me... they remind me of avril lavigne or something
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.