[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, guitar /mu/tants, i need some advices. I've been playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Hey, guitar /mu/tants, i need some advices.

I've been playing guitar for 2 years now and i started with an acoustic one. Thus, i never learned how to play with a plectrum. So i was wondering : 1. Should i let my nails grow out in order to play with more strenght ? It's kind of hard to play arpeggio, they (my nails) stick to the strings too much. How do i do it ?
>pic related, it's my nails.

2. Any advice on how to practice with the mediator ? I know how to use it but the " up-down " thing is hard. Videos, YouTube channels, books whatever i'll take it.

Sankyu
>>
I found that having my nails about a millimeter long lets me pick as soft or loudly as I want.
I mainly play songs with a lot of finger picking and I've never had a problem.
>>
>>60351461
If you play a classical/spanish guitar i can personally recommend long nails, if it's a blues type steel strung guitar it can be uncomfortable at first but it's definitely doable.
Your nail length is ok but 3/4 of what you have now should be sufficient.
>>
>>60351461
you are playing classical, right?
then dont let your nails grow longer, actually cut them a a little.
i can't play with picks, plectrums or whatever you want to call them so i use my nails relatively short, i mean just when some white starts to show and i can play lead, jazzy, blues,etc without any problems. but for rhythm palm muted sections its a little bit of a pain tbqh
>>
>>60351543
>>60351556

Thank you guys.

I have a spanish guitar, but i feel like my nails are stuck when i play with them. It's not fluid. I probably don't know how to do it.
>>
>>60351584
I'm playing classical, but also acoustic sometimes, but don't you feel like your nails kinda stick to the strings when you release them ?
>>
>>60351593
>i feel like my nails are stuck when i play with them.
they are too long, thats why.
just tim them little and dont be a afraid of looking like a faggot for shaping your nails with one of those manicure sets, maybe they are too wide or too thick, its a little tradeoff compared to all the pussy you'll get for playing like an alpha
>>
>>60351593
You could also cut them and let them grow until they reach a length you feel comfortable with.
Have you ever given finger picks a try? I personally can't stand long nails.
>>
ew those nails are fucking gross dude
>>
>>60351618
same anon, what i said here >>60351623
>>
>>60351623
Thanks. I don't really play guitar for pussies, most of the time when i play i'm alone. When i play guitar, I'm entering a bubble.

I'll tim them as you said. But i want to practice with the plectrum to play electric.
>>
>>60351641
>have you ever given finger picks a try ?

I'm mostly finger picking, and that's the problem because they stick to the strings when i release them. But i'll do like the other Anon said, i'll tim them, they're probably too thick.
>>
Thank you guys for the advices, i'll see you later on /mu/ !
>>
File: 51GIaL4lWbL.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
51GIaL4lWbL.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
>>60351653
well said fuck bitches dont need them, when i really need to use a pick i use Dunlop Standard Nylon, they feel more natural and they are like $3USD for a pack of 6 i believe
>>
>>60351706
Thanks anon, i'll try these out.

But 1mm though that's thick don't you think ?
>>
>>60351731
they feel perfect to me, they are cheap you can get one pack of .88mm and another of 1.0mm i think they make .72mm too, and then see what you like the most
>>
>>60351774
Okay. Thank you.
>>
>>60351678
OK, I've been playing classic guitar for about 8 years, 6 of those while being mentored.

I think your fingernails in the OP are just right and that you should do some practising. Try finding Segovia's right arm practises (easily available on the net) and go trough them for a few hours for about a week and see how it feels.

Remember to practise using force and apoyando.
>>
>>60351878
Thanks pal. It helps a lot. I'll look up the apoyando thingy.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>60351623
So i just shaped them a little (i think you meant filing them ?), and they look like that now.
>>
you need a better file
>>
>>60351966
Well you did a horrible job, look at how rugged those edges are

I'm just being a faggot though
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>60352039
I guess. I use my grandmother's file
>>
>>60352065
you are right nontheless, i mean they need to be smooth
>>
>>60351966
I'm the guy that talked about apoyando.

You might have done a bad thing, you need at least 2 files, one rough and one fine. And I suggest to never try to make the nail thinner than it is, just file trough it like your trying to shorten it, on a 90° angle.

I guess you need practise with the file but it just looks like you didn't take your time. I even said your nails look fine, why did you do that?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>60352072
Okay i re-sharpened them. How is it now ?
>>
>>60352089
I don't know anon. Some anon told me that they were too wide or thick and that i need to file them, and i told myslef he was right, so i filed them.

What do you mean by one fine and one rough ? Could you give me more advices ?

I don't really care because they fully grow in 2 week so...
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Meanwhile, i'm breakfeasting.

>onion omelette & cheese master race
>>
>>60351593
File them
>>
>>60352271
that looks fucking gross

just like your nails
>>
>>60352091
If they're still getting caught on the strings, then you need to clip the sides of each nail. Always fixes the issue for me when I play fingerstyle.

Also, I've been playing acoustic for 6 years and I consider myself good at complex strumming. The only way I really learned was just by learning songs with the pick. I think the most important thing is to learn the strumming patterns slowly at first, which shouldn't be tedious if you enjoy the song. If you're just learning strumming patterns to train yourself, you'll probably quit really quickly.

Jumping over strings with a pick seems a bit tougher but it seems it's just learned through muscle memory, and surprisingly quicker than you might think.

Imo, learning songs is better than tackling a strict practice regimen, if you're trying to learn the basics of an instrument. When you've got all the basics down and want to expand to highly complex stuff, learning songs will still probably help, but you'll probably need a specialized practice regimen to make fair progress. I've been playing saxophone for 10 years, drums for 6 years, and I dabble in piano and bass.
>>
>>60351461
Also, since you've been playing for 2 years, I'd say at this point, you should be ready to stop using written music to learn songs, and start learning by ear. It'll help you learn better in the long run, and you'll be doing your brain a favor.
>>
>>60351461
Advice on learning anything complex: take it slow and be patient.

It's easier if you find a song that applies whatever technique you're trying to learn, so you actually enjoy it somewhat.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.