[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Sigur Ros lumped in with all the other cliche post rock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: sigur.jpg (460 KB, 900x774) Image search: [Google]
sigur.jpg
460 KB, 900x774
Why is Sigur Ros lumped in with all the other cliche post rock bands? The only way Sigur Ros is in anyway similar to those other bands is that they sometimes use crescendoes and have instrumentals. Sigur Ros is far more progressive and interesting than bands like Explosions in the Sky or This Will Destroy You.

Also why does the vast majority of post rock suck? 99% of it is just melancholic guitar noodling with lots of open notes involved and crescendoes. I mean some of it's pretty good but it gets way too familiar after after awhile.
>>
File: post rock essentials.jpg (425 KB, 990x1716) Image search: [Google]
post rock essentials.jpg
425 KB, 990x1716
>>60349680
Explosions In The Sky and This Will Destroy You are both the equivalent of pop bands within the genre.

The crescendo-core blandness you're describing is mostly prevalent in the 3rd wave, there's good stuff in all three imo but if you want to avoid that style altogether stick to first and second wave post-rock
>>
Because post-rock is a dumb term.
>>
>>60349680
>Also why does the vast majority of post rock suck? 99% of it is just melancholic guitar noodling with lots of open notes involved and crescendoes. I mean some of it's pretty good but it gets way too familiar after after awhile.

because everything interesting that can be done with a guitar has been done before.
>>
>>60349680
I always thought that the only redeeming factor about Sigur Ros that allowed them to stand out in the way they did was just that they had a very talented singer in Jonsi.
Otherwise I find them to be a really overly dramatic cross between Cocteau Twins and Enya or some shit.
I can't think of a more saccharine band desu, they have bearly any bite to their music at all.

They're not cliche but I don't think they're so different from those bands that they're noteworthy in any way.
>>
>>60349747
>because everything interesting that can be done with a guitar has been done before.

have we run out of passages of notes to play or something
>>
>>60349680
post-rock is retarded.
>>
a lot of people tell me to listen to them on mushrooms or whatever
>>
>>60349782
I feel like it's such a broad classification that this is just an overly dismissive thing to say
>>
First wave post rock is the only good post rock.
>>
>>60349776
>interesting
>>
>>60349954
if you don't find melody and harmony interesting you're just pleb tbqh
>>
File: 61sYn9fWufL._SL1500_.jpg (91 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
61sYn9fWufL._SL1500_.jpg
91 KB, 1500x1500
I like post-rock but I can see what you mean. I love Sigur Ros and everything they've done in a way.

I'm pumped for their new one, Kveikur was simply great.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.