[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you justify downloading free music ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
How do you justify downloading free music ?
>>
I'm a government man
>>
I don't, it's immoral but I just do it anyway because I have other stuff I'd like to spend my money on
>>
it would cost me money otherwise
>>
im poor
>>
Would you go to a funeral in the government man's suit if you were paid 100 bucks?
>>
Because I don't give a fuck about paying the ivy league college tuition of the grandchildren of whoever raped Otis Redding on a recording contract decades ago.
>>
i'll buy them one day i promise
>>
>>60348331
If it's free why should I have to justify it?
>>
I want to do it
>>60348398
if it was a stranger's funeral then definitely
>>
I choose to take a stand against the exploitative structures of capitalism/ fight da power/ fuck shcool too btw
>>
File: get-a-free-song-from-itunes.jpg (23 KB, 500x356) Image search: [Google]
get-a-free-song-from-itunes.jpg
23 KB, 500x356
There is literally nothing wrong with "downloading free music."
>>
>>60348398
Absolutely, I've done worse for less.
>>
Mostly I'm too poor. When I was employed I was subbed to VMP and bought tapes/records on the side and went to shows almost 3-4 times a month. I feel like that's enough. If I paid for every record I ever dl'd I wouldn't even have money for food desu.
>>
>>60348507
it deprives the original artist of getting royalties on the material. it really is a fucking crappy thing to do. think about the time and effort the person put into making the piece, and then just illegally downloading it and depriving them of profit. makes sense?
>>
File: aye.png (91 KB, 660x132) Image search: [Google]
aye.png
91 KB, 660x132
>>60348550
There is nothing illegal about downloading music that is being offered free courtesy of the artist and their record label.
>>
File: 1435635461024s.jpg (8 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1435635461024s.jpg
8 KB, 250x250
>>60348409
>>
>>60348550
It's free motherfucker. How stupid are you?
>>
Because the musician gets like 2% of the profits from a download- which is less than 20 cents on Itunes.
>>
>>60348331
i don't, music should be free
>>
>>60348331
I buy the albums I like
>>
>>60348331
how else am i going to get free music if i don't download it
>>
I go to shows I buy merch I buy records. If I couldnt download shit I wouldnt have been able to get into a large majority of music I like now. The fact that I can download music has directly contributed to revenue for artists.
>>
I can't but it doesn't matter since music has lost nearly all economic value anyway.

It's gotten to the point where some artists should just be happy I bothered to download their album, listen to it and then give it a mediocre review on RYM.
>>
I'll tell you later.
>>
Because albums are horrendously overpriced, always have been they just can't get away with it like they used to. Plus some jew is getting 99% of that money anyway so don't act like you're screwing the artists out of anything.
>>
>>60348377
>this
>>
It's objectively very cost efficient and subjectivily very beneficial for to me
>>
>>60348342
this desu
>>
If I like something I get it out at my local library (since I don't tend to listen to anything so obscure that it's not found in a library) then pop the CD into my computer and then just import/download it that way
flat out pirating it is just a more convenient way because I don't have to wait for other people to return the cds or worry about scratches + it means I don't have to go to the library as often

sometimes there's also uncommon/rare vinyl rips of various limited pressings/editions/whatever of some records that I can only find on mp3 blogs on the internet so there's not much other choice if I want the music

I stopped pirating this year & actually bought an album for the first time since around 4th grade or so

albeit I still haven't purchased what I've stolen over the years
>>
No one's stopping me.
>>
>>60348331
if it's free, why should I pay?
>>
Download album, if it is nice buy it. If it is shit, just keep the pirated copy and fuck you
>>
Why is there no form of public music library available to the public? Public libraries are well-established state-supported institutions granting temporary access to literature free of charge. The value of literature is viewed as more important than the profit of it in this case, and as seen it does not do any significant damage to the profit of the author.

Until such an institution is commonplace for music, I will download music for free, because I consider music to be a valuable commodity that every person should have the right to experience.
>>
>>60351218
I don't know where you're from, but most libraries where I'm from do that already.
>>
>>60350938
I am the same way. There are so many goddamn bands around I'm not going to pay to listen to an mp3. Most bands are lucky people are listening at all
>>
>>60351246
All of the public libraries in my area do not have 90% of the music in my personal library.

I've gone to other major cities with well-funded libraries and found similarly disappointing catalogs.

I live in Washington, D.C.
>>
>>60348748
why? it cost effort, money and time to make it. If you pay for every service in your life why music should be free? Do you spect musicians, producers, audio techs, marketers... to work for free?
>>
>>60348331

i have never in my life downloaded something illegally.
>>
File: Untitled 2.png (7 KB, 342x107) Image search: [Google]
Untitled 2.png
7 KB, 342x107
>>60348426
Stop.
>>
>>60351152
Dumb weeaboo
>>
I don't have to "justify" anything I do. No one does.

I can explain what I do, though. And the argument "because I can, because I don't want to pay" is all that is necessary. It's completely understandable to absolutely everyone. And while I clearly don't agree with it based on my own actions, I can still very easily understand the actions taken by the music industry to stop me.

Don't assign morality to this. It isn't even stealing. It's just an entire industry and an individual both working to achieve the best net gain - both by getting something for honestly nothing.

You know you don't own any media you actually buy, right? You're just purchasing a license to legally hold that copy of media. If you actually owned it, you could copy it and distribute it as much as you'd like. So they're not even selling you a good or a service. Just a license so you aren't mercilessly hounded for even more money.
>>
>>60348331
I don't have enough money to pay for all the music I listen to.
I do eventually buy it If I like the album but I'm not going to pay for something I haven't listened to yet.
>>
File: 1445549046354.png (237 KB, 320x425) Image search: [Google]
1445549046354.png
237 KB, 320x425
>>60352254
good job, friendo
>>
Because I don't live in a developed country and the only access to music I have is soulseek and torrent
>>
Because it's more convenient than buying music. You can stream all that shit legally online for free anyway, and the music industry doesn't resolve around music sales anymore so I don't have a moral issue with it as long as I try to support small bands I like in other ways.

There is literally no point in spending money on non-physical music in 2015.
>>
>>60348363
This. It does make sense when you think about it.
>>
>>60352214
I already pay to musicians and audio techs when I go see them play live. The rest can just go eat a dick.
>>
>>60348331
I see free music as a way to discover music, sometimes I pay for albums that I like, but not allways, I don't justify it, I know it's wrong.
>>
suck my cock
>>
>>60348331
>justify
>free
you answered your own question
>>
First, I download everything I'm interested in.
Then I buy the releases I like best.

I wouldn't buy less music if I didn't pirate, I would just make less informed choices. So I think I'm doing the best thing.
>>
>>60353735
This, except I actually WOULD buy less if I didn't pirate. If downloading music wasn't an option, I wouldn't even have been this big a fan of music, and definitely wouldn't be spending this much money on it.
>>
>>60353735
* Oops, I meant "buy more", not "buy less".
>>
>>60348331
Is Obama a Romulan?
>>
>>60348409
this
>>
>>60348331
Because I wouldn't buy any of the albums I pirate anyway. If I couldn't download them for free, I'd probably end up listening to them on Youtube.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.