[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did you start playing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11
Why did you pick up your first instrument, /mu/?
Pic related: I wanted to be the kind of man she'd like. And it was then that I realised I didn't like or listen to a lot of music, and made me search out and get into tons more music.

I now play guitar, piano, bass and I sing.
>>
File: daron malkian.jpg (23 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
daron malkian.jpg
23 KB, 300x400
> 2007
> System of a Down was my go-to band
> Loved Daron's crazy guitar playing
> Got a guitar to be like him
> 2015, been playing ever since
>>
Most people on /mu/ couldn't label the chromatic scale...
Sorry anon desu...
>>
File: IMG_0311.jpg (42 KB, 379x503) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0311.jpg
42 KB, 379x503
>>60344465
>Pic related: I wanted to be the kind of man she'd like

Caught me by surprise, anon. But keep on doing your thing, someday anime will become real.

Anyways, I started playing guitar because my 15 year old self wanted to be a Renaissance Man and also because there was a Guitar 1-2 class in my high-school. I did it for my ego.
>>
>>60344465
Mom made me start playing piano when I was 8

I'm still doing it now and one of the main reasons I keep it up is bc without it I would just be another boring asshole, I don't have too many other skills
>>
>>60345148
Hope dies last. But it was just a drive to better myself, if I'm the man she'd like maybe that's enough to have "won" at life. Same reason why I started running lately.
>>
>>60344465
I got into bass because I just wanted to learn how to play Feel Good Inc.
About 8 or 9 years down the line, I'm still going strong with the instrument, as well as guitar, piano, and drums

:)
>>
File: 054.png (406 KB, 361x497) Image search: [Google]
054.png
406 KB, 361x497
>>60345148
>anime
>real
>3D
>>
I was forced to play bagpipes in a local pipe band when I was a lad, and I hated it.
When I was old enough, I got a drum kit.
Very loud revenge it was.
>>
I first picked up guitar when I was 15 because I wanted to be James Hetfield.
Now I've been playing bass for a couple of years. Not sure why I started, but I kind of prefer it.
>>
File: image.jpg (113 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113 KB, 640x960
>>60346478
>>
this riff

https://youtu.be/OozIDOzGWH4?t=33s

now I've been playing almost 8 years, know tons of tons of scales and techniques and have no interest in starting a band or making music or anything similar and I'm an apprentice pipefitter.

Really wished I learned to draw or something else.
>>
>>60344465
I was five when I got my cello so I couldn't really say.

Allegedly I wanted a violin, but the local instrument store had no violin (or there weren't local violin teachers available. I can't quite remember) so I got a cello instead.

Best damn coincidence in my life.
>>
File: IMG_4310.jpg (109 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4310.jpg
109 KB, 1280x720
>tfw suddenly at 23 inspired to play and make fun noises because Lightning Bolt and Ponytail

I want to get a bass just to make fun noise with a friend now. We have zero musical talent.
>>
>>60347085
iktf except i have no friends who even consider it. ive asked most of them
>>
>>60347085
Do it pussy.
>>
File: 1434693029064.jpg (93 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1434693029064.jpg
93 KB, 512x384
>>60344465
>8th grade
>playing guitar hero with friend
>i'mreally shit
>i decide to play the bass parts insteasd of guitar
>better at it
>decide i want to learn to play bass
>self taught using guitar pro and a few online tutorials
>i'm really shit at it
>still bought two basses anyway
>>
>>60347085
It's going to sound like shit when you start. Don't be discouraged.
>>
>>60344465
SO are you any good with one of them?
>>
File: drumkit.jpg (88 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
drumkit.jpg
88 KB, 612x612
I've always had a music interest. Had lessons in saxophone, then clarinet, then bass guitar but nothing really stuck. One day I got a drum kit, that's when I found my calling. Rhythm is life.
>>
>>60347700
I can play most mainstream Thrash Metal and 70s pseudo prog rock on guitar and bass now with no problem. Not exactly virtuoso, or a master by any means, but I know my way around the instrument now.
Currently got a 2 octave and 7 semitones range at full voice, been practicing at learning to use my head voice.
I'm a noob at piano, I basically only know sappy slow rock ballads play by people who aren't actually pianists. But I just picked it up two months ago.

So... I would say I'm good, yes, not great at anything, but I don't think I ever could be.
>>
>>60348088
>I don't think I ever could be.
DONT SAY THAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtT4FFoYlR8
>>
>>60345064
>guess I'll take the bait
and?

Got a bass 3-4 years ago, I only really started taking to it this year but I enjoy playing it.
>>
>>60347528
>>60347667
I want to start but don't know what Bass to get. I know it's gonna sound like shit, that's part of the fun right?
>>
>>60346444
cum eater
>>
File: thiswillbemine.jpg (19 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
thiswillbemine.jpg
19 KB, 300x400
>told my parents I wanted a guitar (10 years old)
>they give me a toy guitar from Target for Christmas as a mean joke
>mfw I learned how to play on it
>"C-can I have a real guitar now?"
>"Hahaha very funny anon. No way I'm paying for that shit."
>Grandma feels bad and buy me one
>12 years later I play lead guitar in a 3 piece band. I love playing and I'll never get tired of it.
>>
>>60348902
Wow, your parents are such dicks.
>>
>>60348695
No, that's not me
That's another trip

:)
>>
>>60344465
I was 14 or something when I discovered metal and thought - well shit this is best music ever I want to play that.
So there's that.

Now I play guitar, bass and a bit of piano, drums and sax.
>>
I identified with the fat chipmunk from Alvin and the Chipmunks in the cartoons so I played the drums
>>
well I picked up clarinet in 5th grade, I'm not sure why. picked up guitar because guitar hero not gonna lie. picked up bass because my friend was selling his and it was easy as shit to play. bought a mandolin because the local pawn shop was selling a nice epiphone for $125. picked up bass clarinet because my band teacher said we needed more low reeds. learned alto sax for a school project. I think that's it.

I tried to learn piano but nah
>>
>>60349479
yeah fuck them. I got the fuck out of there asap
>>
>had a bass sitting in my house for years
>listend to TONS of music in highschool and found /mu/ halfway.
>would sometimes just find more music in school all day
>started to want to do something with all the absorbed music in me
>finally pick up the bass and been playing for half a year since
>taking a harmony class and try to go as far as i can to learn and try to master my instrument

I have alot saved up and im thinking of buying a new 6 string eventually
>>
>>60347085
Bro.. Brian Gibson is the reason i started learning bass ~2 months ago (im 21). One of my best friends plays drums and he's learning to use a synth and we're gonna make some noise rock and probably fuck around with field recordings and other genres. At the moment im trying to figure out how to get the banjo string onto my 5-string bass, the fucker keeps on popping out of the key, might need to replace it with one that can hold it.
Btw have you listened to Death From Above 1979?
>>
>>60344465
>be 10ry old me
>go to grandma's
>grandpa is always talking about rock bands and shit
>but today he is playing his new guitar
>its a gift from my brother, little anon, i used to be a musician
>plays a shitload of 50's to 60' shit
>ok I'm impressed , grandpa is pretty cool tbqh
>he stops and say "look anon this song used to make girls go crazy all the time"
>starts playing and singing I want to hold your hand
>i can't believe how awesome it is, i wan to be able to do the same
>start going to guitar classes, etc
>got decent
>deeply inside i just wanted to make him proud
>>
Been playing guitar as long as I can remember. My dad sang and played guitar at parties and apparently there's footage of 3 year old me strumming on one of his guitars at my cousin's birthday party.
>>
I remember about 16 years ago when I was 5, my older brother had a crush on our teenage next door neighbour. She was this gothy ~unique~ girl (think suburban 1999 edgy teen) and played the clarinet. For whatever reason she was playing it on our front porch one day and I absolutely fell in love with the sound. Seven years after that, I entered middle school and had already long since decided what instrument I wanted to play.
>>
there were guitars and a piano at my house growing up, so i fucked around with them for my early life. at the start of high school my parents decided to get me an instrument of my own (had been writing guitar pro music already at the time) when it came time to decide i picked drums, not sure why, it was just what i could see myself playing in my head. a few weeks later a few of my friends got together and we started a band. it was pretty bad, really should have learned what i was doing first. that being said i still just fuck around and make noise 90% of the time i'm at the kit.
>>
I remember one day at a friends house he had a beautiful Ibanez hollowbody electric guitar.
He showed me how to play Sweet Home Alabama.
I liked the actual look of the instrument more than the actual playing but I figured if I wanted to have my own guitar I'd learn how to play it so i wouldn't just have it sitting around
Eventually I really got into playing.
>>
>>60344465
>2006, in middleschool.
>Like Pixies, youtubing pixies songs.
>Nirvana comes up in related searches
>The Man who Sold the Word on MTV Unplugged.
>have two thoughts 1. the is the most retardedly simple riff i've ever heard. 2. This is one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard (up to that point)
>find my dads guitar in the attic, mimic the video. Learned the whole song by the end of the day.
>decade-ish later, play open mics. Still like Pixies.
>>
File: M.jpg (10 KB, 250x266) Image search: [Google]
M.jpg
10 KB, 250x266
>Be me
>Be a normie and not listen to much music till college
>Continue to be a normie for 2 more years coz you don't know how to enjoy life
> Start playing the mandolin on a group in college
>Fast forward 6 years
>Still suck at your instrument

But for all seriousness, i quite enjoy playing alone for my amusement
>>
>>60344465
My aunt had a grand piano in her house and whenever I came over to visit I would mess around with it, which eventually turned into practicing actual pieces.

But that was like 20 years ago and now I can't play for shit. Trying to get back into it now to hold on to my pipe dream of being an orchestra performer in case my current career path doesn't work out but I know I'm screwed
>>
I've switched primary instruments numerous times throughout my life.

>9 years old
>Thought the flute was cool
>Picked up the flute
>12 years old, joined the school jazz band on bass
>Tired of the flute, picked up trombone
13, pick up guitar
>High school, string bass becomes primary instrument for wind & jazz ensembles because I enjoy playing it. Continue playing trombone in marching band.
>16, play sousaphone for marching band
>Graduate, can't afford any of the instruments I played in school, so just stuck with guitar. Play in a couple of bands.
>22 start producing ambient music and power electronics

Now I'm pretty much just focused on making tape collages and messing around with a synth and pedals to make noise pop. Eventually I would like to get my hands on a cello and a koto, though.
>>
>>60349672
The beginning is pretty much my story. I want to get a clarinet again because I love the tone. Now have guitar (electric and acoustic) and bass (acoustic and electric). Wanting to get a drum kit so that I can attempt to keep rhythm better, but also to be able to practice with different drum beats.
>>
> 10 years old
> music in my country is mostly cancer
> heard Metallica for the first time
> "HOLLY SHIT THIS IS AWESOME"
> got a guitar
> been in love since then
Long story short
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.