[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /mu/'s opinion on this album? This is one of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.jpg (65 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Sweetheart Of The Rodeo.jpg
65 KB, 400x400
What's /mu/'s opinion on this album? This is one of the few country albums that I have just absolutely fallen in love with. 'I Am a Pilgrim' is so goddamn simple, but I'll be damned if it doesn't tug at my heartstrings at a visceral level. I can't not sing along in full voice when it comes on.
>>
Hickory Wind is god-tier
>>
>>60344420
YES, absolutely. One Hundred Years From Now as well.
>>
>>60344378
it's a masterpiece. created a genre and perfected it on the first attempt. also gram parsons is an unequivocal genius
>>
>>60344378
I bought it on vinyl after hearing praise for it, brought it home and was a little disappointed. I love The Byrds and I like twang, but it didn't really work for moi.
>>
Best thing about it are the Dylan covers, in which case I just think I'd be better off listening to the basement tapes
>>
>>60344566
I find it so interesting that he was basically the outsider of the Byrds, so much so that the album was substantially altered from Parsons' original vision because he didn't have enough clout, yet is now contemporaneously regarded as being the key to bringing the sounds of country to the public's ears.
>>
Serious cringe on here, "I like the Christian life"
>>
You Ain't Going Nowhere is great.
I have a vinyl copy. I'm a sucker for twang.
Nashville Skyline is better though.
>>
File: YouCantBeSerious.png (175 KB, 469x247) Image search: [Google]
YouCantBeSerious.png
175 KB, 469x247
>>60344858
>doesn't understand why people might be religious
>ridicules someone for expressing themselves
>on a music forum
>>
>>60344378
It's a masterpiece. Don't think there's a bad song on it.
>>
>>60344943
The mentality on that song is pretty alienating if you're not a Christian, you're basically listening to someone insult you
>>
>>60344986
You're not listening correctly. It's pretty centered on how the narrator feels about certain things-- he doesn't say, "Hey, shit should be a certain way, otherwise you motherfuckers are going to Hell", but rather, although others find pleasure in things he does not, he still loves his friends despite them trying to get him to commit acts which he doesn't agree with.
>>
>>60345109
>tfw I feel this and I'm not even Christian
>>
Has anyone ever found the Grand Ole Opry performance The Byrds did?
They got booed really bad.
>>
>>60344566
>The Byrds invented country
>>
>>60346193
They brought country rock to the public consciousness
>>
You know I Am A Pilgrim is a traditional song played by dozens of country singers, right?
>>
>>60346193
they're one of most influential groups to mix country and rock idiot.
>>
>>60344858
im not even one of those fedora hunters but kill yourself

why do you get so butthurt over a lyric, i see the same happen to fucking neal morse
>>
>>60344858
Tell me about your favorite musician's political viewpoints.
>>
>>60346959
That makes sense, always thought it felt weird since they don't seem very religious.
>>
Honestly, whenever people say they don't like country but like this or the Nitty Gritty Band, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, etc, I just take it as evidence that they haven't actually explored country music. This stuff isn't that different from a lot of other country music.
>>
If it weren't for this album we wouldn't have bands like The Flying Burrito Brothers, or The New Riders of The Purple Sage, and The Grateful Dead wouldn't have been so bold to put out albums like Workingman's Dead, or American Beauty. It aint Ringo's version of Act Naturally, but still a fine album of important historical significance, nonetheless. (Whatever significance means)
>>
>>60347008
I believe one time Roger McGuinn professed to be a born again Christian.
>>
>>60347120
I would say The Band had a bigger impact on bands wanting to strip down to acoustic stuff moreso than SotR.
>>
McGuinn was a dick on this album. He overdubbed Gram Parsons singing on several tracks with his own, think he was jealous of Gram stealing the spotlight of the record.
>>
>>60347279
John Wesley Harding was the first one to kick the door down.

And Gene Clark was just as important in the creation of country rock as Gram Parsons was.
>>
>>60347303
This maybe true, but I've read more bands from that time being influenced by Music From Big Pink and their s/t
>>
>>60347285
McGuinn also drove David Crosby out of the band. Everything I read about him makes him seem like a major asshole.
>>
>>60345109
Unless you're talking about Gram Parson's version, you're wrong. Mcguinn is very obviously taking the piss with his ridiculous accent.

Here's the much better version where that meaning you're talking about actually comes through. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_4g7qb4aGI
>>
Who had the best solo career out of The Byrds? Gram, Clark, Crosby, McGuinne all had some pretty strong solo albums.
>>
File: 2305d88e[1].jpg (257 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
2305d88e[1].jpg
257 KB, 600x600
>>60347982
This is one of my favorite albums
>>
>>60348007
YO BEN WASSUP
>>
>>60348039
I don't even know anyone named Ben
>>
>>60348007
that album is incredible. White Light is great also.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.