[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your top 5 jazz albums released this year. You have listened
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (298 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298 KB, 1280x1280
Post your top 5 jazz albums released this year.

You have listened to at least 5 right?

Stretch Music by Christian Scott
Break Stuff by Vijay Iyer
Sylva by Snarky Puppy
In the Moment by McKaya McCraven
From Darkness by Avishai Cohen
>>
Yes but they're all stuff jazz thread guy's given a 7 or higher to so people would get mad at me if I list them.
>>
I haven't heard a single jazz album made this year actually OP, but thanks for asking
>>
>>60334544
kek
>>
>>60334544
>tfw nobody is allowed to like Birdcalls even if they liked Rudresh Mahanthappa before Birdcalls was jtg's AOTY
>>
>>60334563
embarrassing desu
>>
>>60334579
>tfw you dislike the epic before it became required to hate because it was popular
>>
My personal faves in alphabetical order by leader

Tim Berne's Snakeoil - You've Been Watching Me
Raoul Björkenheim eCsTaSy - Out of the Blue
Timo Lassy - Love Bullet
Marius Neset - Pinball
Verneri Pohjola Quartet - Bullhorn
>>
>>60334521
why is he playing that gay willy wonka lookin trumpet
>>
Lol Christian Scott is trash and Snarky isn't jazz

Jack DeJohnette - Made in Chicago
Atomic - Lucidity
Gary Peacock Trio - Now This
Blue Buddha
Jakob Bro - Gefion
>>
>>60334621
isn't embarrassment an emotion you sort of have to personally feel
>>
File: dizzyparty.jpg (18 KB, 240x336) Image search: [Google]
dizzyparty.jpg
18 KB, 240x336
>>60334701
>>
>>60334745
that at least serves a purpose tho
>>
File: ifa_xango.jpg (430 KB, 1135x1135) Image search: [Google]
ifa_xango.jpg
430 KB, 1135x1135
>>60334699
oh and here's a very interesting one I've been listening to this week - probably not making the top 5, but sounds very good to me

Ifa y Xango Tehtet - Twice Left Handed / Shavings
>>
lol at the faggots who can't handle anything that's not "muh criss cross and ECM boring music" and shit their pants because anything with hip hop influence can't be "real jazz"
>>
>>60334796
I was looking for a link to this a day or two ago and couldn't see anything. Is it worth checking out if it's gonna be one of the few 2015 albums I bother to?
>>
>>60334858
I think it's worth it if you like larger ensemble avant-leaning contemporary jazz (stuff like Fire! Orchestra etc.pretty similar esthetic to a lot of other stuff Rune Grammofon label puts out actually, if you are aware of them) - not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

Listened to it from Spotify first and then ordered the vinyl myself.
>>
>>60334849
Hip Hop influence can make real jazz, but Christian Scott is a bullshitter. Wouldn't expect /mu/ to know anything about musicianship or the jazz tradition though.
>>
>>60334908
I tend to be picky about that sort of thing. I do like Fire! though so I'll probably give it a go based on that.
>>
>>60334849
and since you're obviously replying to me describe how this is "boring ecm" or "criss cross"
since you obviously just googled the album name and saw the label it was released on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Zd5a5Ink8
>>
>>60334849
There's both good and bad jazz on criss cross and ecm. There's both good and bad jazz with hip hop influence. Please leave 4chan until you turn 18.
>>
>>60334521
I really dont like jazz, cant find anything cool in nigger whistling desu
>>
>>60334981
kids will be kids
>>
Why does p4k only review shitty jazz?
>>
>>60335192
because shitty jazz is mostly marketed to pitchfork's core demographic
>>
Anybody know if there are still any good releases scheduled to come out before the end of the year?
>>
i know nothing of jazz but can anyone recommend me any modern fusion?
>>
>>60335335
Snarky Puppy
Chris Lightcap
>>
>>60335335
Elektro GT https://youtu.be/a0oD1125MOU
>>
>giving albums number ratings
>caring about JTG's number ratings
>caring about what pitchfork or melontano or rym say about jazz

I hope you don't do any of these things
>>
this music is beyond the comprehension of almost all of you plebs
i propose a moratorium on jazz threads
please stop now
>>
>>60336217
Oh.
Welp. You guys heard him. Everyone, stop listening to and posting about jazz. Next Monday's blindfold thread is canceled.
>>
>>60334761
>implying
Gillespie's bent trumpet was an accident, he just kept it because he liked the way it ended up sounding.
>>
>>60334521
Laurent Coq & Walter Smith III - The Lafayette suite
Samuel Blaser - Spring rain
Sylvaine Hélary - Spring rolls / Printemps
Dieter Hilg - Mein Beethoven
Antoine Hervé - Complètement Stones
>>
] Mats Gustafsson & Nu Ensemble - Hidros 6: Knockin
Paal Nilssen-Love Large Unit - Rio Fun
Joe McPhee & John Snyder - To Be Continued
Oliver Lake & William Parker - To Roy
The Thing - Shake
Joshua Abrams - Magnetoception
Peter Brötzmann - Münster Bern
John Zorn & The Dreamers - Pellucidar - A Dreamers Fantabula
Sun Ra & His Arkestra - To Those of Earth... and Other Worlds
Miles Davis - At Newport 1955-1975: The Bootleg Series Vol.
>>
File: 51.jpg (39 KB, 346x346) Image search: [Google]
51.jpg
39 KB, 346x346
>>60337244
that's 10, anon
five is half of that (as many fingers as in pic related)
>>
You're only cool if jtg hasn't rated any of your top 5
>>
>>60336936
thanks guys, thanks for understanding.
>>
>>60337351
>tfw you like a jazz album and then JTG rates it highly so you have to pretend you don't like it
>>
File: young_mothers.jpg (431 KB, 1001x1024) Image search: [Google]
young_mothers.jpg
431 KB, 1001x1024
Young Mothers - A Mothers Work is Never Done

this was released last year, but I just discovered it recently after seeing these guys live. This is bass player Ingebrigt Håker-Flaten of The Thing fame with Texas-based musicians - pretty radical fusion of very different influences from free jazz to hip hop to grindcore to noise to melodic indie rock. Very energetic and thoroughly enjoyable.

Certainly not for traditionalists, but I'd recommend it for anyone who is a fan of John Zorn's late 80's and early 90's material.
>>
>>60337724
IHF is an incredible bass player indeed, probably in the top 10 european bass players of all time
>>
>>60337847
are you aware of Swedish bass player Petter Eldh? He kinda reminds me of IHF when he's playing in a more free/avant contexts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4aeE7bLpf0
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.