[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do bass and guitar have to be in the same key when composing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: bass-guitar-lessons.jpg (48 KB, 484x329) Image search: [Google]
bass-guitar-lessons.jpg
48 KB, 484x329
Do bass and guitar have to be in the same key when composing? Also any tips for making better baselines that aren't super simple?
>>
>>60328736
>guitars
take your shit on over to >>>trash where it belongs
>>
You could make the instruments be in two different keys but it would probably sound like shit. Unless you mean the same tuning then no they don't have to be in the same tuning.
>>
>>60328736
Yea dude, both guitar and bass are C instruments. No transposing to be done like with horns, woodwinds, etc
>>
>>60328736
They don't HAVE to

but it might sound shit otherwise
>>
Yeah, don't make "basslines" just compose, mang. Sometimes you need a simple bass marking the chord, sometimes you write a melody for bass entirely.
>>
>>60330283
Fuck off Jackson
>>
>>60330375
I don't even get this meme.
>>
>>60330283
>Yeah, don't make "basslines" just compose, mang
Making "basslines" is composing.
>>
>>60328736
Unless you're composing some really advanced stuff, yeah, keep them in the same key.

There aren't any shortcuts to making good basslines, you just have to practice and develop an ear for it. Learn how to form walking basslines and alternate them with riffs to make things more interesting.
>>
>>60330414
Ok bye
>>
>>60330425
Meaning don't focus on making a part for bass, do what serves the piece. Sometimes it's having the low register retract, sometimes it isn't. He shouldn't be thinking "alright, now it's time for the bass part" it should be holistic.
>>
>>60328736
For bassists, it's important to learn some theory. I'd suggest learning in this order.

- Key centres.
- Scale tone harmony.
- Arpeggios & chord construction.
- Modes.

That gives you everything you need to reliably create functional and varied basslines. After that, try learning about:

- Approach notes (semitone bellow the target note or a scale tone above).
- Chromatic passing notes.

You can now reliably construct hip lines in virtually any idiom you understand. Of course, we always work on our theory, and understanding more unlock more options that you likely wouldn't stumble over by groping around. This learning also develops your ears, constructing basslines is aural as well as theory. Of course, listen to great bassists and transcribe if you feel up to it. You'll be surprised how easy it is to learn.

This might be wanker advice from a ponce, but it's cool to be able to look at a chart and just know a few happening basslines just like that.
>>
>>60330519
Who the fuck cares as long as the piece is good.
>>
>>60330542
It's the easier way to write bassline "to makes the songies gudy" m8.
>>
>>60328736
>follow the root
>sprinkle in some octaves
>maybe some half note slides here and there
>throw some triplets or odd patterns to spice up the melody

this is pretty much how I write all my basslines
>>
File: 1404295178002.jpg (25 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1404295178002.jpg
25 KB, 400x400
>>60331547
>>
>>60330375
tfw I have a Jackson dinky

its a comfy guitar tho
>>
>>60330539
What if you're playing bass guitar as a lead with a drummer?

Any advice on how to work on different rhythms? How do i create riffs that go up and down the neck rather than just staying in the same scale?
>>
>>60331680
jackson instruments are super comfy
my 5 string jackson bass is literally the most comfy bass i have ever played
>>
>>60331779
https://youtu.be/msMAkHyQTcE
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.