[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tupac is one of the most overrated rappers i mean fo'real,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2
File: 1401x788-h_00355214.jpg (131 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-h_00355214.jpg
131 KB, 1401x788
>tupac is one of the most overrated rappers
i mean fo'real, he isnt that good, there are many better rappers, why do all people praise him this fuckin much?
>>
Because no other hip-hop artist has been more influential.

The guy was more than just a rapper. The persona, the aura, the voice, the message.
>>
I don't think you get how greentext works
>>
>>60318369
Cuz he died. Nas is better.
>>
>>60318461
>Because no other hip-hop artist has been more influential.
Every hip-hop related group/artist Rick Rubin produced exists.
>>
>>60318461
>no other hip-hop artist has been more influential

There's a lot more drugs, money, cigars, and catchy hook rap artists in the world (i.e. influenced by Biggie) than there are Kendricks.
>>
Tupac has put in a lot of emotion and energy is his raps. From sadness, confidence, hate, love, political views, and his fears. He's able to let his fans believe im every word he speakes and sympathize with him .

And Hit em up was a banging diss track
>>
>>60318527
Nope.

As a person, there will never be anyone like Pac. His music alone isn't the greatest of the genre whatsoever, but as a person, no one will personify hip-hop and black America like 2Pac did. Not even 3Pac.
>>
>>60318847
That's not influence.
>>
go to bed Biggie
>>
>>60318461

Earlier hip hop artists are definitely more influential (pretty much every major name from the 80s).
>>
>>60319085
Pac's persona is very charismatic, which also made it influential. Besides LL Cool J, he was one of the first major rappers to show off his toned body with cool tattoos and gold chains.

Maybe not one of the first, but he made it more popular to be a /fit/ rapper
>>
>>60318369
He died. Hes poetic. They teach about him in just about every english class i had in vegas.
>>
>>60319290
Kek, he goes from being the most influential rapper to being influential when it comes to the literal appearance of hip hop artists.
>>
>>60319864
Kinda both. Before 2pac , you don't really see rappers showing off their tats and muscles. I believe it reflects their confidence and also sells sex appeal. Chicks go cray for a nice bodied male and guys admire /fit/ males since muscles symbolizes hard work.
>>
>>60320168
That's not music, which is what this discussion's about.
>>
>>60320306
Still influential. Also, people already said he's poetic and bring a lot of energy in rapping in this thread.
>>
>>60320468
Neither of which are specific to him and only him. Wu-Tang, NWA and Public Enemy were all more pioneering in hip-hop that Pac was.
>>
>>60320507
How were Wu-Tang pioneering?
>>
Because it's a genre that hasn't grown and can't get over a guy because he got shot for being a morn
>>
>tfw download tupac discog after listening to hiphop for like 3 years seriously
>tfw its better than expected

everything is clear
>>
>>60320507
Wu-Tang Clan was full of technical rappers who were hardcore, not technically gangster like Pac. Pac is also more simple to understand. He's more clear in his lyrics. (Not saying being more "sophisticated" is bad )

There are other artists Id consider better than NWA, especially in Gangster Rap. Pac's songs are more poetic, deep, and more authentic than what most of NWA put out.

Chuck D and Pac are both activists. Both speak the truth about many issues. However, Pax puts more passion and makes you sympathize with low privileged blacks more
>>
He was a relative voice of reason in a sea of womanizing thug-life gangster bullshit.
>>
>>60320904
And again, none of that has to do with influence.
>>
>>60320960
>none of that has to do with influence

How? That's one of the reasons why people praise this guy, along with the fact that he made hit em up, die young, and predicted his own death.

Pac puts emotion and poetry in his songs like Biggie puts flow and clever lines in his.
>>
>>60321056
Praise doesn't equal influence, I don't get why you're having a hard time grasping this. NWA and Public Enemy set off and helped set off more dominoes than Pac did, it's that simple.
>>
>>60318369

Because he died

GOAT tier is

>Nas, Raekwon, Eminem, Jay-Z, Biggie, Mos Def, Black Thought
>>
>>60321287
Because NWA were one of the first Gangster rappers. No one's saying he's more influential than them. But Pac is still has a mantle as big as NWA into gangster Rap. And again, Pac was more authentic. Which hip-hop puts a lot of focus on being "real". None of the members in NWA did much crimes other than Easy-E. I do have a point when I say Pac has more EMOTION Than PE. Both activists, but Pac can make one feel what he feels about black oppression. PE is mostly hardcore
>>
>>60321652
Everything you've been mentioning is still primarily about quality.
>No one's saying he's more influential than them.
See >>60318461
>>
>>60321287
Also, most of your arguments is just

>This other artists had more X, Therefore he's a shit rapper

Like Nas I'd a better lyricist than Biggie , but that doesn't mean he's less influential.
>>60321438
But Biggie died just as early only dropping 2 albums
>>
what do you guys think about eric-b and rakim, or masta ace, or pete rock and cl smooth, some shit like that?
>>
>>60321787
No, I've been saying
>This other artist who had a similar impact to Pac and came out first therefore is more influential than him.
>>
Look, if you take PE and NWA out of the history of hip-hop 2pac might as well not exist since they were both pivotal in creating a presence for the scene he ended up being popular and known for.
>>
>>60321703
>still primarily about quality.

But quality us just as important as quantity. If you just have quantity, you're not gonna sell as much and just be a generic rapper. Most of the things Pac did lots of rappers do as well till thus day
>>
>>60321438
>eminem
It must be nice living in the suburbs. Isn't your mom calling you for dinner, kid?
>>
>>60321890
Quality isn't what sparked this discussion. We've been talking about influence since the first post in the thread.

Pac wasn't the first to do any of those things well.
>>
>>60321889
You think only Pac wouldn't exist if it weren't for them? Do you even know the major influence NWA put out for almost every rapper , especially in the West Coast?
>>60321837
The difference is that Pac died young. He was also smart for his age. Most hip-hop listeners are young adults. He died after dominating the rap game in '96. Young musicians that die young will have a big impact on music. Look at all the musicians that died at 27 years old. However, Pac displayed just as good quality as any other rap artists
>>
>>60322094
Everything you've been talking about has primarily been about relevancy. You haven't given one actual counterpoint to my statement about the other groups knocking down more dominoes.
>>
>>60321996
>Pac wasn't the first to do any of those things well.

The sky is blue. Things we already know. I never said he's the first of anything. But just because you're the first of something, doesn't mean you can't be influential.

Most people will say Raekwon or Jay-Z were the ones that had better Mafiaso Rap albums despite Kool G Rap being the first.
>>
>>60322225
>Just because you aren't*** the first , doesn't mean you can't be influential
>>
>>60322225
You've been saying no else whatsoever was more influential, or at least the original post I responded to did.
>>
>>60318527
tfw rick rubin

fucking st anger
>>
>>60321981
>he doesn't live in the suburbs
>>
he dead
>>
>>60322308
That wasn't me. No shit NWA, especially Ice Cube is more influential and Pac isn't the first to do anything. They also came before Pac and influenced him. But you can push dominoes with quality though.
>>
File: Gucci-Mane-006.jpg (26 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Gucci-Mane-006.jpg
26 KB, 460x276
SECOND most influential OP
>>
>>60322492
I don't understand why you even joined the discussion given that you agree with the point I was making.
>>
>>60318369
Wow, what a unique opinion, I've never heard that before!
>>
>>60322568
I thought you were Implying he wasn't influential at all because you find other artists better. There are areas NWA is more better than Pac, but there also other things Pac is just as good at.
>>
>>60321438
This is an embarrassing list and I like most of those rappers
>>
>>60318369
try dyin' and you will know why
>>
>>60322556
fuck this faggot
>>
>>60318369

The fact that so many books still name Tupac as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rapper ever only tells you how far hip-hop music still is from becoming a serious art.
>>
>>60322875
>Not liking Gucci Mane

He'll fucking chop you
>>
>>60318369
You're right. He's not bad at all, but he's not that good.
>>60318461
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. As someone who hates him and his music, Eminem is miles ahead of this guy in terms of influence. You barely hear anyone compare any modern rappers to Pac because he didn't really have a distinctive sound or one that was replicated. Sure he was influential in the sense that he's cited as a good rapper by most other rappers, but that doesn't really mean jack shit. Everyone shouts out Nas and Em and Pac and Biggie and Wu-Tang

And if we're talking about purely emulating sound (which is really what influence focuses on), most people are using Biggie's mafioso take on rap nowadays rather than Pac kind of middle point between conscious rap and gangsta rap
>>60318482
>Cuz he died
Maybe, but I don't see Big Pun, Big L or ODB showing up on every high schooler who doesn't know shit about hip-hop's t-shirts.
>>60318527
You've got a point there
>>60318532
This
>>60318847
1. That's not even true
2. That wouldn't be inherently influential
>>60319290
Lmao that's mom-core hip-hop. No disrespect to Cool J or Pac but that shit was for the ladies. You must be too young to remember
>>60319864
Eh, hip-hop is heavily based around the look too. Even back then, go back to Run DMC popularizing Adidas' shit
>>60320168
Cool? What the shit does that have to do with Jack fuck?
>>60320306
Thank you
>>60320468
Sure ok, his embracing of physical health and pride is influential. But I don't see meat heads praising Pac because of dat toned bod
>>60320507
This
>>60320664
You're shitting me. They popularized hardcore and mafiaso rap, and displayed a new kind of energy and bragodocio not yet seen in hip-hop (or at least not in the mainstream). These niggas sampled kung-fu flicks instead of James Brown like everyone else and still got bitches. Plus cream is pretty much synonymous with money because of them
>>60320712
Memes!
>>60320904
You can be shitty but still be influential, peep the bling era son
>>
>>60321438
Black Thought>Mos Def>Rae>Big>Nas>>>>>>>Jay>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Em
>>60321829
Simple hip-hop, stays close to the roots, executes it how it "should" be executed. I love them to death and they're certainly influential, but it doesn't do much. Like, I just bob my head and enjoy that golden era east coast flow, I don't really get much out of it (which is fine)
>>60321889
Good point, but that's not fair bc you could keep tracing shit back.
>James Brown is more influential than NWA through the butterfly effect
>BB King is more influential than James Brown bc soul wouldn't exist without blues
>>60322556
He's pretty influential
>>60322922
Ye
>>
>>60323181
But Pac is nowhere shit. Most rap fans would cite Me Against the World as an iconic rap album because he was at that time, was rare to listen to a rap album that's about depression and personal life.
>>
>>60318477
>this
>>
>>60318532
this desu
>>
>>60318369
The same reason people praise Jimi Hendrix: He dead.
>>
>>60318369
This guy was a fake. This "real thug" was in ballet in highschool. And the guy is fucking rapist .
Fuck this dude .
>>
>>60323945
>Jay-Z wore Haiwian shirts
>Therefore, he wasn't a real thug

Also, there was barely enough evidence he actually raped
>>
>>60318461
This, Tupac's braggadocio set the standard for modern rap. Listen to All Eyes on Me and Makaveli pac is able to jump from some really deep shit to some amazing 90s party rap and still make cognitive and complete album.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.