[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>1965-1969 How the FUCK did popular music advance so much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: xQK8kUkd_400x400.jpg (30 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
xQK8kUkd_400x400.jpg
30 KB, 400x400
>1965-1969
How the FUCK did popular music advance so much faster then than in any other time, in '65 rock had only advanced marginally past Elvis and Chuck Berry but by '69 not only has psychedelic rock already come and gone, but prog is well underway, Black Sabbath is recording the first doom metal album and electronic music is starting to creep into pop. It affected jazz too

Was it the drugs? Or was it just by chance that this period was, relative to the preceding years, the most forward thinking
>>
>>60317344
Everything was new and fresh back then, it's all as stale as your mother's rectal passage now.
>>
signal processing and cheap transistors
>>
I'm telling you fags it's because of Dylan

name an important rock album released before Highway 61 Revisited
>>
New technology, scenes, British Invasion, more free rein
>>
>>60317344
>le wrong generation
>>
1989-1995 >>> 1965-1969
>>
>>60317406
>Highway 61 Revisited
Bringing It All Back Home
Beatles Help!
anything by Chuck Berry
>>
>>60317429
I never said it was better, I just said there was faster advancement than has been seen since

For example trap rap became a major mainstream force in 2010, electronic trap music in 2012, and those are still the "modern" sounds that influence most pop
>>
>>60317429
God fucking forbid there's music discussion on /mu/
>>
political controversy, hippie movement, drugs, Dylan, British invasion
it was the epicenter of lotsa shit
>>
>>60317479
Woah there. Some of Berry's singles were important, yeah, but for all intents and purposes you could delete everything he made after 1958 and nothing of importance would be lost.
>>
>>60317496
Right now we're in the epicenter of a whole lot of shit with even more coverage, yet it's weird that were not really hearing that in the music right now
>>
>>60317650
This stuff isn't really that important to our lives though. Drugs are more or less accepted as a part of life, good or bad, most people don't really care about politics and we don't have a draft forcing us to, civil rights are going the way of the left and there's never going to be someone like Dylan or The Beatles, hell, even Michael Jackson again who has such a dominant identity over most of pop culture. We're too diverse for anything of their magnitude to happen again.
>>
>>60317446
1991 > 1965-1969
>>
>>60317429
Cancer like you is killing this board, just so you know. Ironic or not, you're a fucking faggot for posting that shit.
>>
>>60317700
It's not just affecting the mainstream either. Because of the internet and all the information you can now access so easily, underground scenes are becoming more and more rare. A new trend pops up and it's accelerated at such a fast pace that it barely has time to fully developed, and then the trend is dead in the water because it becomes so saturated and thus diluted. Whereas before you'd actually have to out in the world- to clubs and parties and people's basements - to even find what was happening in the underground, and the scenes had time to create their own identity and become fully fleshed out.
>>
>>60317867
Yeah but underground communities develop online now. Ever heard of vaporwave

And local movements in cities can still become powerful, although maybe more rarely; look at Burger Records
>>
>>60317939
Vaporwave is one of the best examples of my point though, it grew way too fast and became overloaded and basically became of full blown meme/joke before it had time to set its roots down and become something even a bit more dynamic or interesting. Sure, Vaporwave is still around, but it could have been a much bigger force and influence than it is. We're sort of seeing the same thing with PC music. It got popular quick but it's already losing a ton of speed and curiosity in it is rapidly fading.
>>
>>60317344
musical styles evolve fast, then stagnate
its the same for anything really

look how much electronic music changed in a similar period 1978-1983, went from being weird prog guys with big giant machines to basically the most popular form of music available in every household, a trend which lasts to this day
>>
>>60318141
There was a time when The Who were the loudest band on Earth. Sorry, not really related to your post or the discussion, I just am bewildered by that.
>>
>>60317344
Shoulders of giants.
A lot of bands were taking influence from other genres which had already been evolving into new territories that rock musicians were.
Also, improved technologies and innovations in recording equipment/techniques and new electronic sounds that could be made using more accessible equipment like synths.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.