[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm listening to this for the first time and it's actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6
File: dark.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dark.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
I'm listening to this for the first time and it's actually amazing why do you guys always meme it
>>
>>60315178
>why do you guys always meme it
Elelaborate
>>
File: a1940792439_10.jpg (266 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a1940792439_10.jpg
266 KB, 1200x1200
>>60315178
most memes are amazing...
>>
>>60315178
Because it's just a gossip record; it's as vapid as any other mainstream pop record with about as much substance as Bad Blood. The production's good but that doesn't get around the fact that it's still hip hop lacking in any expressive musical quality.
>>
>>60315346
this
>>
>>60315191
they just be memeing it
>>
>>60315178
I didn't really like it much on my first listen but grew to like it more.
>>
>ywn experience the track "Dark Fantasy" for the first time again

Yea, Kanye West is the most self-absorbed artist of the history of mankind but still, he brings a lot of nice symbolism and expressions with this album even though he spends a lot of time talking about his personal life like a magazine. I mean, "Dark Fantasy", "Gorgeous", "POWER", "Runaway" have all standalone meanings even with you are not that aware of everything happening with Kanye.
>>
>>60315473
>standalone meanings even with you are not that aware of everything happening with Kanye.
Nah they're only applicable to Kanye and his specific situation
>>
>>60315571
Dark Fantasy represents how far Kanye has come in his career.
Gorgeous has some underlinings about racism.
POWER is much like "I Am a God" a track about how much power one acquires by becoming a famous figure of musical media.
Runaway has a theme of bad relationships going on
>>
>>60315632
>Gorgeous has some underlinings about racism.
choke a south park writer
>POWER is much like "I Am a God" a track about how much power one acquires by becoming a famous figure of musical media.
so being Kanye
>Runaway has a theme of bad relationships going on
Kanye's bad relationship
>>
>>60315346
lol no. Kanye pours his heart out on this record in a completely relatable way. He constantly goes back and forth between being heartbroken and depressed and acting like he's fine and the shit and unfazed - this is exactly how you feel after a break-up record. Listen to the verses on devil in a new dress or blame game or runaway or lost in the world and then compare those to power or so appalled or monster. He begins the album pretending that nothing can touch him cause he's a mogul and rockstar and then slowly slips into sadness, regret, envy, shame, etc. This is a breakup record, and is literally the opposite of vapid. I think you heard the album but didn't really listen to it if that makes sense
>>
cause its fucking /mu/, everyone here loved it when it came out until pitchfork gave it a 10 and the backlash begun

it's a great album and if you enjoy it don't let /mu/ give you bad connotations
>>
>>60315959
Name and explain 3 expressive musical qualities that Kanye uses across the album.
>>
>>60315991
Well here's lyrics from literally one song. Would you not call this personal, intimate, expressive?

You weren't perfect but you made life worth it
Stick around, real feelings might surface
What the hell was I supposed to do
I know you aint getting this type of dick from that local dude
And if you are I hope you are have a good time
Cause I definitely be having mine

And you aint finna see a mogul get emotional
Every time I hear bout other nigga's stroking you
You always said Yeezy I ain't you're right girl
Probably find one of them "I like art" type girls
All of the lights, she was caught in the hype girl
And I was satisfied being in love with the lie
And who to blame, you to blame, me to blame
For the pain and it poured every time when it rained
Let's play the blame game...

there's a bunch more of these lyrics peppered throughout the album, him switching from acting cocky and unfazed to self-reflective and giving into his sadness. I'm far too lazy to post a bunch more lyrics and give explanations but i really do love this album and i think you should give it another shot.
>>
>>60316318
i skipped some less "expressive" lines btw, the actual song flows much better
>>
>>60315991
Dynamics, melody, lyrics.
>>
>>60315346
> with about as much substance as Bad Blood.
and we know this retard never listened to this
>>
>>60316318
That's also the song that blatantly copied Aphex Twin.
>>
>>60316318
Those aren't musical qualities.
>>60316358
Melody and lyrics are not expressive musical qualities.
I don't recall him ever using dynamics.
>>60316371
I bought it because I used to love it when I was 18.
>>
>>60315346
>The production's good
not even that though
>>
>>60316389
yeah i'm sure he claims he wrote that riff
>>
>>60315991
not him but here's some more.

may the Lord forgive us
may the God’s be with us
and that magic hour I seen good Christians make rash decisions
oh she do it, what happened to Religion?
oh she lose it
she putting on her make up
she casually allure
text message break up, the casualty of tour
how she gone wake up and not love me no more
I thought I was the ass hole, I guess it’s rubbing off

When the sun go down its the magic hour
the magic hour
and outta all the colours that are still up the skies
you got green on your mind
I can see it in your eyes

the crib Scarface, could it be more Tony?
you love me for me, could you be more phoney?

Saying she loved him for his money, the crib scarface = luxurious, expensive, elegant, ultimate consumption and indulgence is all she stayed for.
>>
>>60316438
That is not expressive musical quality.
>>
>>60315178
if anyone else released this record, /mu/ would be wanking themselves over it 24/7
>>
>>60316525
False.
>>
>>60316525
Yeah
>>
>>60316525
You mean like they already do?
>>
>>60316525
I'm interested in this possibility, but who namely?
Drake?
>>
>>60316616
if Drake released this people would fucking shit themselves over it. This is so superior and versatile to his entire discography that he'd become a legend overnight.
>>
>>60316616
>>60316658
Drake is absolute garbage.
>>
>>60316404
Melody is to an expressive musical quality, it's built on creating tension and release. And if you don't accept lyrics, he also uses tempo and rhythm.
>>
>>60315178
>why do you guys always meme it
It's Kanye West
>>
>>60316740
Melody, tempo, and rhythm have nothing to do with expression; those are core musical components but aside from tempo (which never varies in any of Kanye's songs) they are not expressive.

Clearly you don't know what you are talking about, so here are some things that you might have said but Kanye NEVER uses:

Accents/Articulations
Dynamics
Phrasing
>>
>>60316525
yeah but /mu/ DID wank over this album when it came out. almost any overly beloved album on /mu/ that also has commercial appeal becomes despised in the long run. take kid a for example
>>
>>60316773
>Accents/Articulations
>Phrasing
>"SE-CURR"
>"SO INSECURR"
>"GAWD! GAWD! GAWD! GAWD!"
>"How you say broke in spanish, me no hablo"
>>
>>60316825
>he doesn't know what a musical accent is
Why do you talk about things you don't understand?
>>
>>60316846
>he invented the meaning of musical expression in a total arbitrary way and wants others to guess what he means
>>
>>60316864
>invented
So you've never been taught anything about music?
>>
>>60316895
well fortunately not by a genius who says that melody, tempo, and rhythm have nothing to do with expression. For one to say they are not expressive it requires comparison with something that they created into their heads and whatever other people say wont matter either way.

Check this out and tell me tempo (for example) is not a form of expression:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbU9UUwxBxA
>>
>>60316823
this
>>
>>60316937
Tempo can be varied for expression but kanye never does do.
Please at least try to learn something about music.
>>
>>60316823
that's a bit sad isn't it?

>my favourite album can't be popular!
>>
>>60316773
Music is expression, core components of music are expression. If I told you one song was at 145bpm and one was at 70bpm and with out listening to them, you could surely tell me which one was happy and which one was sad
>>
>>60316960
>insist in an affirmation
>cops out when disproved
>says nobody else but him know about music theory

this a 18+ board

What exactly you want with music expression? You want three examples? How is the poem in the beginning of Dark Fantasy or the choir chanting the chorus not it? How is the change of pit on Kanye's voice on the "fuck with the lights on" lines in Hell of a Life not it? Or the way Raekwon's verse is edited in a-radio-amped way? How is the melody on the fully instrumental interlude for All of the Lights not expressive?

What, do, you, mean, with the things you say?
>>
>>60317037
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

something around 160: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmk5frp6-3Q

something around 60: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZNt3ESnf8Q

Get fucked kid
>>
>>60315178
I think they don't meme it enough, there are people still listening to this shite. Otherwise decent people, too
>>
File: there was an attempt.jpg (11 KB, 425x396) Image search: [Google]
there was an attempt.jpg
11 KB, 425x396
>>60317065
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

global rule 2
>>
>>60317051
Adults are talking.
Well at least I'm an adult, IDK about the rest of the people here.
>>
>>60317105
>oh god he proved me wrong
>let me just ignore his point
Sorry, not getting off that easy. You're still an idiot.
>>
File: autisms level.jpg (65 KB, 567x561) Image search: [Google]
autisms level.jpg
65 KB, 567x561
>>60317065
>I suffer of diagnosed autism and for that I am completely unable of taking part on the most simple of mental exercises because of this anecdotal evidence right here
>>
>>60317172
>anecdotal evidence
You're going to tell me that slow songs are always sad and fast songs are always happy? You're just as fucking stupid.
>>
>>60317107
>I will ignore the part where things were broken down to me because he called me underage
>>
>>60317188
I'm saying he put just a possibility there, to explain how beat tempos and elements of song-structures can alter your perception of the track, and let you know things about it without actually listening to it, but yet it's obvious there are fast sad tracks and slow cheer ones.

Get over yourself
>>
>>60317194
>things were broken down to me
Where?
>>60317223
He's saying that the speed of the tempo - not whether it's speeding up or slowing down, but the BPM that it stays throughout an entire song/piece - is expressive.

He's a fucking moron, tempo has no expressive qualities as I showed him: fast sad songs and slow happy songs are just as common.
>>
>>60317272
I hope you are aware (but at the same time I strongly suspect you are not) that the tempo does not need to be changing during the track to be expressive. A track can hold the same fast or slow tempo during all of it and it will be an obvious part of it's expression
>>
>>60317133
>"lel stop ignoring the point"

>>60317107
>proceeds to ignore the point

>>60317272
>proceeds to pretend to not see the point

lemme link you here for more ease: >>60317051
>>
>>60317065
I wouldn't describe Mars the Bringer of War as sad, and certainly their are exceptions, but just having tempo is musical expression.

Perhaps I should try your method of expression
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

something around 145: https://youtu.be/pJEd77vJlhs

something around 70: https://youtu.be/BVnpVqokp5I
Get fucked kid
>>
Man oh man oh man, I could write an essay on this album. The self-realization of the protagonist's identity throughout the album, the progression of his sexual relationships from young innocent to wild then settling into maturity, the way kanye made the album play like a Greek epic while still having insane features (Nicki Minaj's best verse of her career, RZA on So Appalled, Rick Ross on Devil in a New Dress). The timing of this album drop too, after receiving hate for his barrier pushing sound in his previous album, showing everyone who doubted him that he still got some of the best production skills in the game. MBDTF gets a 11/10 in my book, wonderful piece.
>>
>>60317326
>A track can hold the same fast or slow tempo during all of it and it will be an obvious part of it's expression
It's part of the expression but a writer/composer doesn't say "I'll make this track 72 BPM to make it extra sad." It CAN make it extra sad, but it doesn't always. There is no causal link between tempo and expression.
>>
>>60317359
>Nicki Minaj's best verse of her career
I KEEP FUCKING SAYING THIS MAN
>>
>>60317354
120 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcFHuUJE0mU

dotted quarter = about 50 - https://youtu.be/Lh6mDL-VwYw?t=87

The proof is that there is no link.
>>
>>60317359
this desu
>>
>>60317361
Except for when they do, try looking at the "Mood markings with a tempo connotation" part of the Wikipedia article on tempo.
>>
>>60317436
You're completely missing my point:

When fast can be either happy or sad, and slow can be happy or sad, that means that the raw tempo indication is not part of the expression because, in fact, any tempo can fit any mood.
>>
>>60317460
Does this mean crying is not a sign of emotional expression because you can cry because you are sad or because you are happy?
>>
>>60317460
Couldn't you make the exact same arguement for accents or dynamics?
>>
>>60317517
It means that it's not associated with one mood and thus you can't say "Oh they're crying, that must be to aid the sad feeling of it."
>>60317525
Accents or dynamics are just to make the music interesting. As it is Kanye is just talking over the beats.
At least Kendrick uses interesting rhythmic syncopations.
>>
>>60317359
Amazing album, I completely agree
>>
>>60317359
>>60317395
>>60317431
>>60317617
>Kanye fans agreeing with a pretentious teenage reddit comment
Please go back to your shithole.
>>
>>60317634
>people are liking music
>~~~~unironically~~~
>ON MY /MU/?
>>
>>60317678
You're liking the aural equivalent of the Hunger Games.
>>
File: smile.jpg (16 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
16 KB, 300x199
>>60317704
Saying this kind of shit and calling others pretentious
>>
>>60317735
How am I wrong?
>>
>>60317756
first
>people are wrong for liking X album
begin there
second
>equating the arguable magnum opus of a man who has been making the music industry his bitch and doing whatever he wants of it for ages now with a series of books/movies that was nothing but a woman's generic idea for a plot that was forced by faceless businessmen into a franchise for milking of moneys from teenagers, and also ignoring the fact that said series of books and movies lacks technical quality in both medias it existed when MBDTF is still hailed as a masterfully produced and executed rap/hip hop album though not loved by all, but still seen as the experts of hip hop as good, while literary and film experts scorn upon hunger games
>>
>>60317837
seen by the experts of hip hop*
>>
>>60317837
>has been making the music industry his bitch
you don't know how industry works, do you kiddo
media owns his ass
>>
>>60317837
>a woman's generic idea for a plot that was forced by faceless businessmen into a franchise for milking of moneys from teenagers
Sounds like MBDTF to me do you not even detect irony when you type?
>>
>>60317886
>I WANNA DO THE SAME ALBUM THREE TIMES
(college trilogy)
>I WANNA MAKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT
(808s)
>I WANNA BE DEATH GRIPS
(yeezus)[
>THEY ARE STILL GIVING ME THEIR MONEY

>>60317887
the catch is that she was forced to turn one weak book into a long weak franchise by faceless corporations. Kanye IS the corporation, his face is it's face, and he does what he wants, he is not forced by others
>>
File: 1446119693407.jpg (130 KB, 880x880) Image search: [Google]
1446119693407.jpg
130 KB, 880x880
>>60315178
Easily the greatest album of the last 10 years. Possibly the greatest hip hop album of all time. This is objective fact.
>>
>>60317837
i don't disagree with that
>>
>>60315178
All these people trying to one-up each other like it's that big a deal.
>>
>>60315178
best track?
>>
Didn't Aphex Twin write about how Kanye stole his music in "Blame Game"?
Kanye is nevertheless a fucking gay fish
>>
>>60319960
No, Aphex said he "was ok with it" but his state got mad and there was fuzz about it.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.