[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/, what are your opinions on vinyl?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_1362.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1362.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
I'm 19 and don't have a job but I collect physical music anyway. I live in a somewhat isolated country and the goods are expensive as fuck.

I've easily spent hundreds of bucks on my collection (a lot for a freeloader) and I've felt pretty stupid for doing so. Now I only buy vinyl of albums I really really like and even though I have strong sentimental feelings towards them I still feel stupid for buying as I cannot play them and don't plan on getting a turntable anytime soon. Basically I'm paying upwards of $40 for wall art.

Am I retarded /mu/?
>>
+1 for hipster cred
>>
File: d24BFXe.png (257 KB, 500x413) Image search: [Google]
d24BFXe.png
257 KB, 500x413
What the fuck is the point of buying records if you can't play them? Seriously, what is going through your head? Just buy CDs.
>>
>>60312853

na friend, do what makes you happy. i know all the arguments against records and that they're a waste of money and unnecessary but honestly idgaf, i just like having it on a big round piece of plastic

don't worry about what people think on here, they have no bearing on your life. records get girls. 4 terabytes of FLAC doesn't.

maybe invest in a turntable + equipment instead of your next couple of records though?

i'm in australia, each new release costs around $30-40 (damn shipping), if your country is somewhat equivalent you could forgo two or three records and easily afford a setup :)
>>
>>60312853
One day you'll be get thet record player. Just because you can't play them doesn't mean they aren't useful to you, new stuff normally has those download links.
Also, it would be a shame for you if an album you really liked came out and you didn't buy it because you couldn't play it, and then when you did get the means to play it had let the opportunity slip.
>>
>>60312906
Records ARE a waste of money if you can't play them, though. If you actually have a turntable it's fine but buying them when you can't play them is just cargo cult shit
>>
>>60312938
yeah that's probably true that's why i suggested he invest in a turntable

honestly OP if you have absolutely no intention on buying a turntable, then yeah it's probably a bit of a waste. i could even understand if you're picking up records that you're going to want when you get a player, but if you don't plan on getting one at all, then yeah, save your money
>>
I collect records and have my own record player that's a pile of shit so I don't use it. There's a better one that I only get to use when nobody is home or if family is over and I get to put some of my own music on etc.

I always feel slightly ashamed for not playing them regularly, but honestly I mainly buy them because it feels great to own something you love as a physical medium. Especially when most bands these days are putting a lot of effort into making unique and interesting vinyls.

Like the other anon said, don't give a shit what people on here think or you'll end up a social retard. If you want to spend your money on records then fucking do it.
>>
pretty dumb op im 19 as well broke, jobless but i did have a job a couple months ago so i bought a couple of records and a cheap turntable when i did have money (have repeater as well) but whats the point of buying them of you cant listen to them?
>>
>>60312906
heheh thanks for the advice. I guess you've convinced me and yeah I'll probably get a turntable in the near future. It kinda sucks that it's 2015 and we still have to handle vinyl like a newborn baby made of glass
>>
>>60312879
for the feels my man
>>
>>60312982
Sometime when I buy a record I have this really snobbish feeling of being "cultured" and that I'm the only one who does it, which of course is complete bullshit.

It might stem from the fact that I'm the only one in my family who likes music a lot and I guess I like to show that I'm "different", ah fuck it's the "2nd child trope" again.
>>
>>60313141
stop trying so hard to be a snowflake kid
>>
>>60313056
i mean, that's part of the charm, is it not? if it was easy, you might as well just press play on itunes or whatevs. every step that goes into playing a record makes it all the more enjoyable, imo

>>60312982
don't feel bad, i don't think they're really suited to regular listens. i don't put a record on for background music when i'm by myself very often--it's either when I have company or when I'm prepared to sit in a comfy chair with the headphones on, close my eyes and just purely concentrate on the music
>>
>>60313158
I know I'm trying. I'm definitely a victim of this;
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MiddleChildSyndrome
>>
>>60313175
Haha but I wish they was something like "scratchproof vinyl" or "anti static material" haha probably physically impossible and vinyl's still a niche thing so not much innovation around except for colours and stuff :)
>>
>>60312983
Yeah exactly. You either play them or you don't, there's no half arseing this thing
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.