[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does a better mathcore album exist?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: fortress.jpg (635 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
fortress.jpg
635 KB, 1000x1000
Does a better mathcore album exist?
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
...Uh, yeah.
>>
>>60303935
uhhh

no
>>
>>60303948
I think you'll find the answer is yes.
>>
>>60303872
THE SOUND OF THE SOUND OF THE SOUND
>>
>>60303935
Most overrated mathcore album.
>>
>>60303935
God,no

these two bands are very different
>>
>>60303987
that's because only one of them is mathcore

protip: it's not PTH
>>
>>60304060
PTH blends too many genres to be shoe-horned into one.

But it still does all those genres is borrows from better than their own contemporaries
>>
>>60304060
Fortress is very mathcore influenced.
>>
>>60304095
>>60304124
still doesn't make it mathcore tho
>>
>>60303872
PtH is melodic progressive metalcore you dumbass
>>
>>60304149
lol alright.

Does a better (modern) progressive metal album exist?
>>
best mathcore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREKK2HrpYI
>>
>>60304177
that's math rock you dork lmao
>>
>>60303872

>mathcore

Any Dillinger Escape Plan album, almost any The Number Twelve Looks Like You album, Car Bomb - Centralia and many, many more.

>>60304169

>prog metal

Any Between The Buried And Me album from Alaska forward, Spiral Architect - A Skeptic's Universe, Opeth - Blackwater Park, any Scale The Summit album and many, many more.

No matter what genre you put them in Kezia was so much better anyway, Fortress was such a disappointment coming off of that. A 10/10 technical post-hardcore album unlike anything else and then straight into a mediocre wanky prog-by-numbers snoozefest.
>>
>>60304351
>Any Between The Buried And Me album from Alaska forward
Only BTBAM album that's as good as Fortress is Parallax II.
>Blackwater Park
Good album, haven't really dug into it though.
>any Scale the Summit album
I've only heard Migration, what others should I listen to?
>Kezia was so much better anyway
Why do you think this? Fortress did everything Kezia did way better.
>>
>>60304414
>Why do you think this? Fortress did everything Kezia did way better.
no

concept lyrically was better
kezia invokes a greater range of emotions

fortress creates a better sonic landscape though and the tracks stand on their own better

volition is the best album in terms of songwriting for PTH however
>>
this album is cheesy as fuck
>>
>>60304177

>almost entire song is 4/4
>math

No, stop. Why do people do this?
>>
>>60304465
>concept lyrically was better
I think they're on par lyrically. Fortress is just less focused.
>kezia invokes a greater range of emotions
Arguable. Fortress is much more varied instrumentally and vocally. It also flows much better as an album. Hell even the piano codas sound more natural.
>>
>>60304465
>>60304567
oops forgot to put
>volition is the best album in terms of songwriting for PTH however
Agreed. Skies is my absolute favorite track from them.
>>
>>60304414

I don't know that I can add anything that I didn't say initially, there is still nothing that sounds quite like Kezia and thousands of albums that sound like Fortress. It also helps that it's a beautifully structured and executed concept album for once instead the usual messy narrative hodgepodge that those turn out to be, someone with only a very rough idea of what it's about can get engaged very quickly by the clear use of shifting perspectives but doesn't beat you over the head with the story either.

Jesus, the part where the guard is standing there as part of the firing squad pointing a gun at this young woman that he no longer believes is guilty of anything and he's having this internal struggle where maybe he can stop this, maybe he can just run up there and do something to keep it from happening. He's frozen, telling himself to drop the gun, just drop the gun... and then they shoot her. Because doing your duty and cowering to social pressures is more important than taking a stand for what you believe is right. I think that's something we can all relate to in at least some small way, and it's absolutely heartbreaking.

Find me a moment like that on Fortress and maybe I'll start to appreciate it more.
>>
>>60304764
lyrically kezia was better yes, and it invokes a greater range of emotions

but fortress attains better compositions

>the opening riff from spoils
>the entire drumming on wretch
>the bridge inbetween palms read and limb from limb

kezia is great for its emotional narrative, but it has more flaws from a composition perspective
>>
>>60304872

If "better compositions" is code for "follows more prog cliches" then yes, Fortress was better written. Honestly if it came out like a decade earlier it would be mind-blowing but instead it just came across as trading in creativity for technicality. When you're in a genre that's already swamped with ridiculously technical musicians that's not a good trade to make.
>>
>>60303872
>PtH
>mathcore
>PtH
>good

top bait op
>>
File: 5643452.jpg (29 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
5643452.jpg
29 KB, 480x480
>>60304169
>Does a better (modern) progressive metal album exist?
Yes, hundreds.
>>
>>60304764
That's one of my favorite moments on Kezia too, but in my opinion Goddess Bound beats it:

>From the bottom of my heart, at the top of my lungs
>From the corner of my EYYYYEEEEEEEEE AT THE TIP
>AT THE TIP
>AT THE TIP OF MY TONGUE
>>
>>60305039
>If "better compositions" is code for "follows more prog cliches" then yes, Fortress was better written.
all you did was take what I said and rewrote it with a negative connotation.

If following "prog cliches" means using more interesting time signatures, chord progressions, and more interesting drumming then yes, fortress follows more "prog cliches".

>When you're in a genre that's already swamped with ridiculously technical musicians that's not a good trade to make.

You do realize that not only fortress is hailed as one of the most technically achieving prog-metal album in the last 10 years, it also gives itself distinction by incorporating incredible harmonies and melodies into the mix?

While yes, their may be more "technical" prog albums out there they all suck because

1. Terrible musicianship. Almost no prog bands play together very well and
2. the riffs are actually catchy. They don't just slide to the back of the mind as being face melting speedfests, the notes get played with soul.

Fortress is great because it sets a mood from start to finish. There is no narrative because that was never its goal. Its goal is to create an atmosphere of bloodshed and rebirth, which it achieved.

Fortress is the musical equivalent of a city being mercilessly sacked, and then rebuilt by its own conquerors.
>>
>>60305236
>1. Terrible musicianship. Almost no prog bands play together very well
Your whole post is pretty ridiculous but this is just... wat
>>
>>60305310
>Your whole post is pretty ridiculous but this is just... wat

lmao nice comeback. If you cant come up with an argument based on facts then just stick to shitposting
>>
why are you guys so polarized?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaUW-LhRQH8
>>
>>60305334
I'm not the same guy you were arguing with, fyi. And I really don't care to get into it with you, especially since you're not clearly not looking for "facts" when you make sweeping generalizations like saying most prog bands have terrible musicianship, while offering absolutely no "facts" to back that up.

For my part though, I've never understood why PtH are such a big deal. I had this very album recommended to me years ago, and was severely dissapointed. It struck me as technicality for technicality's sake and I heard none of the catchiness or moods you describe. Have to agree with the other guy, there are far better prog bands out there.
>>
File: a2538879004_10[1].jpg (821 KB, 1200x1199) Image search: [Google]
a2538879004_10[1].jpg
821 KB, 1200x1199
right heeeere
>>
>>60305236

>more interesting

The thing about that is that if everyone does it over and over for years it stops being interesting. Fortress has a lot of moments that sound cool on paper but that have all been done to death making it boring for anyone that has been listening to the genre for a while. It's the same reason Dream Theater is often considered a punchline even though everyone in the band is undeniably a virtuoso and their ideas in a vacuum are solid, they just keep rehashing the same prog tropes over and over.

>hailed

By who? It's certainly one of the most accessible prog metal albums in recent memory. The musicians are all about the same age as their fans and have a strong online presence. These things add up to create great PR but that isn't the same thing as writing a masterpiece. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if in two decades the album was unknown to all but the most diehard prog listener.
>>
>>60305456
>It struck me as technicality for technicality's sake
third, totally different guy here. Completely agree with this. I literally felt nothing but a gigantic wave of LOOK HOW FAST I CAN PLAY when I tried to get into PtH

That, plus the cheap metalcore bits, plus the shoehorned super-theatrical clean vocals, make them kinda suck.

And besides, they're not even fucking mathcore lol
>>
>>60305794
wow ur so wrong
>>
>>60305935
they're not, though, mathcore is generally a lot more dissonant and aggressive than PTH

also the vocals arent good
>>
>>60305935
Good argument

>>60305971
All of this, plus I'd add that PtH has some elements from mainstream metalcore that mathcore is normally without. There is good mathcore with clean vocals, stuff like Rolo Tomassi, but generally it has no relationship to metalcore aside from a shared distant parent.
>>
>>60306004
>There is good mathcore with clean vocals, stuff like Rolo Tomassi
and >>60305505 !

everyone who likes metalcore needs to listen to that album at least, like, 10 times idk
>>
>>60305971
>also the vocals arent good

Rody may not have the strongest range but his voice carries emotion really well + its unique as fuck.
>>
>>60306087
>Rody may not have the strongest range
are you kidding

Rody is one of the most impressive singers in modern music.

He hits a G6 in some live video I can't be bothered to find.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.