[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/daily/ "Hampus is a newfag" edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 98
File: 1445815275142.jpg (326 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1445815275142.jpg
326 KB, 1000x1000
***IF YOU'RE NEW AND WOULD LIKE TO JOIN, READ THIS FIRST!***

It's the 2nd of October

The point of these threads. Is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to, and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

We track our progress using calendars, which we fill with the albums we listen to on each day and a rating of some sort for all of them. There are templates in the following posts. We encourage you to write the albums' titles and the artists' names somewhere on your calendar. We don't have any tools for creating these calendars, we use simple image editing softwares. You can predetermine a schedule for a month or you can report back on whatever album you randomly picked every day. Many of us make our schedules interesting in various way, popular ones being genre restrictions, new releases, and recs from the /daily/ community.

We had a plug.dj room, which we used to shitpost for a little while. It's now forever empty, so if you want to spend a little time there, it is too late. You can find the temporary substitute here though:

>https://synctube.org/r/Some_dumb_synctube_channel

no one should really be able to start the threads, but usually one of /daily/'s dedicated trips starts them anyways.

We encourage you to start it, just be sure to use the standard OP.

Site with templates, OP covers, archive, & random shit:
http://dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

Most importantly, eat paste

PREVIOUS THREAD: >>60263889
>>
File: slash daily slash.jpg (837 KB, 2005x1393) Image search: [Google]
slash daily slash.jpg
837 KB, 2005x1393
it's about time, family

Star Wars was alright. Catchy enough blues-rock, but a little underwhelming. I was just waiting for a fuckin belter yet one never came, which was disappointing. If I had found it for cheap on vinyl I'd pick it up I suppose.
>>
>>60303870
N U M A N N E X T
U
M
A
N
N
E
X
T
>>
File: come on.png (33 KB, 163x152) Image search: [Google]
come on.png
33 KB, 163x152
>tfw givingbear calls u a newfag
why u do this?
Gon' start Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here (album) shortly. What am I in for?
>>
>>60304006
o k
k
>>
>>60304008
It's really good, their best album imo
>>
Just made charts for the next 4 months, looking forward to the gauntlet
>>
>>60304354
I'm finding it pretty good so far. The buildup on Shine On is wonderful, but now i'm on Have a Cigar and these lyrics oh god.
I mean again, I like it, but I don't see how people think it's leagues above stuff like Animals or Dark Side, not to mention Piper. Then again I'm only halfway through, and I know the title track already (brilliant), so we'll see.
>>
File: 00daily.jpg (536 KB, 1312x1097) Image search: [Google]
00daily.jpg
536 KB, 1312x1097
Loved Mount Eerie, wish I hadn't ignored it for so long since I wasn't a big fan of The Glow Pt.2

What should I listen to next from my chart, don't really know what to pick next
>>
>>60304608
Escape from Noise
>>
>>60304608
Deceit, then Neu!
>>
>>60304608
Boards of Canada
>>
Which album should I start with?
>>
>>60304725
You would really like Sparks.
>>
File: 11-10.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1440) Image search: [Google]
11-10.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1440
Jessica Pratt - On Your Own Love Again (2015)

pretty comfy record in general, this is actually the second time I've listened to it, the first was for a /daily/ calendar back in March or February. Back then I panned this album but recently I've found myself appreciating more subtle, folky music so I figured my opinion would be different this time around, and I was right. On Your Own Love Again was a lot more atmospheric than I remembered, Pratt's voice also reminds me a bit of Joanna Newsom and the lo-fi-ish recording style evoked feelings of warmth and comfort. 7/10

Sunn O))) - Agharti Live (2011)

this was a live album but at the same time it was a lot different than a lot of other live albums I've heard, there was no acknowledgement that the album was even live aside from the title, and it sounded as if it could have been studio given that there was no noise from the audience. I haven't listened to much Sunn O))) mostly because I don't really find drone music appealing, Agharti live didn't really change my opinion of that either. There were some nice chaotic moments throughout but in general it sounded to me like I was inside of a garbage disposal, (that's less to do with the music as it does with me not understanding the genre though) 5/10
>>
File: 1280x1280.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1280x1280.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1280
>tfw listen to this album while reading Part 4 of 2666 with the murders or whatever and now can't get that imagery out of my head when listening

baka
>>
>>60305097
EVERY THOUSAND YEARS
>>
>>60305156
THIS METAL SPHERE
>>
File: aeoc[1].jpg (58 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
aeoc[1].jpg
58 KB, 350x350
Comme à la radio (1970) by Brigitte Fontaine, recommended by Benji

Fontaine's art poetry is paired with Art Ensemble of Chicago's oh-so-modern backing, but only occasionally do they really work together. 'L'été l'été' is perhaps the only track which really succeeds - AEC are in a distinctly pastoral mood (complete with acoustic guitar strums, alto rhapsodies, Harmon-muted trumpet) and Fontaine's soft voice perfectly wrapped up by their distant arabesques, like shepherd's pipes. Elsewhere the Ensemble are their more usual selves (which is possibly my main problem with the record), and Fontaine is more outwardly concerned with bringing her theatre into the mix. I care for neither.
>>
>>60305180
TEN TIMES THE SIZE OF JUPITER
>>
ty segall- melted
psychedelic mac demarco
it's pretty alright
kinda boring, some of the tracks are lackluster
3/5
>>
>>60305872
God, and you're doing two albums from him?
Also I'm assuming you've heard Paranoid and Master of Reality first.
>>
>>60305872
For a minute I thought Ty Segall had an album called Psychedelic Mac DeMarco.
>>
File: yurga hinga dinder.png (3 MB, 1680x1757) Image search: [Google]
yurga hinga dinder.png
3 MB, 1680x1757
yeah the title track is basically among the greatest songs ever. that bit where Have a Cigar wraps back into the radio is cool too. this'll probably get replays alongside their other mid-70s output.
>>
>>60307104
Their second best, if not their best
>>
>>60307133
I would agree if i liked Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar more, or if the initial chorus on Shine On's first half continued building like that intro.
>>
>>60307104
the title track is the worst song on the album imo
>>
>>60305070
I'm chuffed you liked Pratt! That album is a real grower, I gave it a 7 or so initially until it became a 10.
Sorry you weren't as keen on sunn! I truly didn't understand the genre initially at first either. If you are as oddly intrigued as I once was, try Altar, their collab with Boris. More post-rocky. From there, monoliths and dimensions (which agharti is actually a live version of!).
What did you think of Attila's vocal performance on A/Interior I/Eye? That makes this album really stand out for me.
>>
File: dont sweat the technique.gif (667 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
dont sweat the technique.gif
667 KB, 500x305
>>60307220
but I think that that's wrong
>>
>>60303870
Chet faker is so fucking amazing.
>>
File: MI0000150704.jpg (30 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
MI0000150704.jpg
30 KB, 400x399
Vince Guaraldi- "in person"
jazz piano, Recorded 1962
This is one of my dad's cds that I borrowed.

You are familiar with Guaraldi's work via Charlie Brown.

"In person" is a brief live recording of the Guaraldi trio, plus two other players, in a small jazz club. Throughout the record, you can hear the quiet murmur of the crowd. Unfortunately, only one song here is one of Guaraldi's compositions- several are Brazilian tunes, one is by Fats Waller, and I don't know the other names. My dad tells me "on green dolphin street" is a standard, and that Guaraldi takes it slower than usual for his interpretation. I enjoyed that song immensely. The bass line dances between playful and introspective.
On drums is a man named Colin Bailey, who is pretty damn good. Guaraldi assembled a dynamite trio, between Bailey and Fred Marshall on bass. I have a real affinity for quality drumming though, and Bailey's fills on "Misirlou" (not the dick dale one) alone warrant recognition. Real premium work.
Guaraldi's Latin influence that later crystallized with his collaboration with Bola Sete is immediately apparent on the record, but it's not overbearing in anyway. It's less like hearing Latin jazz, and more just like Guaraldi with an accent.
Still, my favorite pieces here are those that do less to accent the trio, and more to showcase them.
As a whole, I found this greatly enjoyable! This is my first foray into the work of Vince Guaraldi beyond his Charlie Brown soundtracks, and it makes me want to keep listening. 8/10
>>
>>60306382
doing 2 cause I heard melted was good and reverse shark attack is too good of a title to not listen to

already heard paranoid master of reality and the s/t
>>
>>60307447
I'd say he's p w e a k
>>
File: full.png (2 MB, 1726x1146) Image search: [Google]
full.png
2 MB, 1726x1146
this month is starting to lose its aesthetical edge. dux content was probably the worst thing i've heard from pc music.
>>60304725
oh hey didn't know you started coming here. the expanding universe and cluster ii are both great.
>>
>>60307473
I've only listened to one of his albums with Bola Sete and the Charlie Brown one. I'm gonna have to check that out, Guaraldi seems to be good at making really relaxing jazz.
>>
File: 5870752.jpg (73 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
5870752.jpg
73 KB, 600x600
new to grimes
are all her albums this bad?
>>
>>60308492
I haven't listened to that one, but I thought Visions wasn't too bad. Not a great album, but not bad.
>>
>>60308492
visions is amazing and her best album. art angels is her trying for top 40s radio style
>>
>>60305097
Love how you always stop by once per thread to post hot onions on some pop record. Keep it up doc-b.

Incedentally, Crazy Rhythms is the best album of the 1980s.
>>
>>60308522
>>60308544
picture this:
the year is 2010. avril lavigne is the last musician of the early 2000s radio punk pop craze who is left standing. she is planning on releasing her next insignificant studio effort. after it is finally done, it truely comes out as a masterpiece of the genre while incoreperating in more melodic elements.
suddenly, the studio begins to fill with a thick pink tar. all of the equipment in the studio is lost and all of the master tapes are encased in the goo. avril is eaten alive by the goo and dies of suffocation. the final copy is destroyed in the chaos.
it is 8 years later. the incident has gone completely unnoticed by the media, with her death passed off as a strange accident. an aspiring producer opens the obscure room the the studio. inside, she finds the solidified remains of the goo.
she and a team of archeologists dig out the goo and find the tapes and avril's corpse. the producer takes the tapes back to her studio. she takes the tapes back to her studio and attempts to reconstruct them into the album avril would have wanted.
imagine if that producer made shitty "futuristic" soundcloud beats and couldn't have vocals without having some needlessly artsy bullshit filter or chopping being applied to them.
now imagine if that pink tar caused all items it touched to be pitched up 10%. that album is art angles.
>>
File: worriedlaughter.png (383 KB, 673x885) Image search: [Google]
worriedlaughter.png
383 KB, 673x885
>>60304354
>not Piper
>>
Sorry to post yet another chart, but I'm gonna be starting tomorrow. Where to first?

>>60304734
>>60307864
Thanks, I'll get to them when December rolls around
>>
>>60308894
russian cat meme
>>
>>60308709
>it's 2018

>>60308894
Shape of Jazz to Come
>>
>>60308709
MINA SAIKO ARIGATO

K-K-K-KAWAIII
>>
>>60308709
Oh
>>
g'night b'mp
>>
File: kyyrt.jpg (795 KB, 880x630) Image search: [Google]
kyyrt.jpg
795 KB, 880x630
thoughts on my pending december lineup?
>>
>>60310278
Lots of great stuff on there, you'll have a good time with most of these
>>
File: interessant.png (53 KB, 446x272) Image search: [Google]
interessant.png
53 KB, 446x272
should I listen to it first or just go with what seems right?

>>60310540
which records in particular do you think? I'm looking most forward to tone float, the lost tapes, and that folk-ish day.
>>
>>60311499
Tone float, out of focus, Ash ra tempel, guru guru and amon düül mainly
Looking forward to your opinions. I'll make sure to listen to the highest rated ones
>>
File: 20151109_190030.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20151109_190030.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>see this in goodwill
>quickly realize it isn't Space Is The Place
wat do ;_;

>>60304008
wee lil' /daily/ babs shouldn't feel entitled to change tradition that predated them is all bb. It's the circle of taste.
>>
File: a2010699177_10.jpg (367 KB, 1168x1163) Image search: [Google]
a2010699177_10.jpg
367 KB, 1168x1163
Anyone into weird, spaced out free improv on guitar should check out pic related. As the title suggests it references blues from time to time, but don't go in expecting Blind Willie Johnson. Wichlinghauser Blues is as much blues as You are my Everloving is hillbilly music. The music itself reminds me of Bill Orcutt, Tashi Dorji's early albums and to some lesser extent Henry Flynt's guitar playing, but the music of those guys feels almost mechanical at times. The music on this album has more soul and it flows very well. I can't stop listening to it even though I don't like it enough to give it more than a 3.5/5 (which is high) yet. There's something intriguing about it and I can't lay my finger on it. Maybe somebody else here can.
>>
>>60312194
I think gausshauss would really like this. One of his essentials is from Metzger and that's basically the same kind of tone 1300 carries.

If your opinion of it changes any higher this week I'll give it a chance.
>>
>>60312236
It's a bit like 1300, but Metzger stays closer to the blues while Reichel spins it into something weirder. It's almost psychedelic.
If I hadn't just fixed all of my ratings it would be a 4 for sure.
>>
File: 20151109_202600.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
20151109_202600.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
>>60312338
Let's see that curve, boi
It sounds neat btw, I'm just wary of first impressions now so that's why I'm more interested in completing the /daily/ essentials. At least then I know you've all thought about those albums.

I bought these Coupland books yesterday, I burned through Hey Nostradamus and All Families Are Psychotic in a week and I have too much down time at work.
>>
>>60312078
-bu but all i did was remove the *****IF***** bit :(
>>
File: November 2015.png (264 KB, 1548x1178) Image search: [Google]
November 2015.png
264 KB, 1548x1178
Hi /daily/!

updated my calendar.

probably gonna act like a neet and play Fallout until my eyes fall out. I actually dig some of the quest but it is still buggy as fuck.

>>60312194
and will download this. looks interesting
>>
What's good?

Here's my two cents on the OP situation: I'm not happy with this one, I agree that it seems silly and pretentious. So did the one I proposed as a joke, so that's not a good alternative either. The problem is that /daily/ doesn't really have a reason to exist anymore, as the only thing that held it together at first, the form of these "discussions" is gone at this point. It's hard to explain what we do here in an agreeable way when all we do is post standard /mu/ stuff while having a trip on. At least that's how I see what's going on in /daily/. If anyone sees it differently they should be the one to write a new OP. If everyone agrees however it might be time to give up on on it and go somwhere else where we can echo chamber more efficiently and without pissing off anyone who's not into that kind of stuff.

Also I started Anti-Oedipus and it's bonkers.
>>
>>60313293
I'm good, I slept 9 whole hours tonight.
I think we should somehow try to get /daily/ back to the roots; actively encourage discussion and minimise the shitposting. It'll be hard to enforce without mod powers but hey, it can only get better.
>>
>>60313293
well, its not like people quit the going through charts and/or reporting on their listening thing entirely

im not sure what would happen were we to transfer all our activity onto, say, skype, but due to the fact that the crowd is still changing ever so slightly, and that this way, we would be shutting ourselves off from any newfig influx, id wager activity is gonna die much quicker than it would have if we left it on 4chan
>>
>>60313535
maybe monthly threads for new interested folks willing to join the skype/irc/forum on /mu/ could help with the dying problem
>>
>>60313588
Moving to skype would pretty much eradicate the whole calendar/reporting system and it would pretty much just result in shitposting if the sync/plug is of any indication.
>>
File: Hastures_NBBMN15.jpg (1 MB, 1736x1244) Image search: [Google]
Hastures_NBBMN15.jpg
1 MB, 1736x1244
>Progenie Terrestre Pura - U.M.A.
>atmospheric black metal

Thematically similar to Darkspace in that its a black metal album about the cold bleakness of outer-space. But that's where the similarities end while Darkspace is dark and cavernous sounding, PTP is sounds digitally clean and polished in comparison, almost sterile. The album has a strong bleeps and boops presence that works for invoking the sci-fi feels but it really takes me out when the black metal kicks in. Aside from that, I do really like the vocals, they are harsh and seemed to processed in a way the make it sound more technological.
>>
>>60313588
pretty sure that would get banned, also pretty sure that wouldnt work. theres not much that would draw anyone in. "hey we're a group of e-friends looking for new e-friends." many probably have their own little clique already. id assume most people came for the charts and were eased into the circlejerk they then stayed for

i guess it might work, i couldnt properly reason why it wouldnt, but my gut says no, and its usually the wiser when it comes to social stuff
>>
Here's a crazy idea - /daily/ becomes a weekly thread where we post about whatever we listened to in the past week. We try to stay as on-topic as possible and reserve the 4chin thread completely for the discussion of the albums posted.
All not strictly music-related stuff gets contained within skype/sync/IRC so that it doesn't clog up the board.

This will hopefully A) make the threads more interesting and on-topic, as there's a lot more material to discuss and B) allows us to shitpost more freely outside of the thread.
Important for this to work is to actively stay on topic which is kind of icky, but I think it would solve most of the issues people have with these threads. Also; we could, like, go anon.
>>
>>60313708
This isn't a bad idea actually. We'd probably be able to fill up a thread with only OT stuff if we did it weekly. Trips wouldn't be needed in the thread because they only serve as a help for recs, which isn't really discussion, so could be contained to sync/skype/irc too. Posting without trips probably helps contain circlejerking and shitposting to a bare minimum.
>>
>>60313708
>>60313773
>we could, like, go anon.
No. Tripfagging is open and raw. Tripfagging is not a flight into cynical bait- or shitposting. It is the opposite of Anonymity. Anonymity is false freedom. A poison dart shot from the shadows. A retreat that seems like an advance. An attack that is really only a shield. Anonymity is dissimulation; tripfagging is authenticity.
Tripfagging is solar in one respect, following the sun's aspect of honesty. We are honest because we refuse to lurk in the shadows, we refuse to point fingers, we refuse to perform our rites in secret. We are not sickly, spiteful, hateful. We do not hide behind anonymity.

that meme aside, /weekly/ might be a good idea. you get the chance to let an album sink in and work on writing something more in-depth. and rockadopolis already said he wanted to expand DeCo to be even less music-making-centric than it already is

anyone here who hasnt got or has an issue with skype?
>>
>>60313708
>>60313773
Also, GaussHaus seems to be doing this already and it looks as if it's working.
>>
>>60313806
>Anonymity is dissimulation; tripfagging is authenticity
you may see it that way (as do I to an extent), but because a lot of tripfags use it to attention-whore, it repels anons who otherwise might wanna join in the discussion. going anon makes for a more free-for-all platform which I personally am in favor of.
>>
>>60313806
>>60313832
And also a lot of the shitposting here is based around the fact that we know who's who. (though we'd still know that through charts, so I don't know if it'd actually be useful)
>>
>>60313867
most of the shitposting doesn't come from chart-related posts though
>>
>>60313896
No, I know. I just mean that they can act as just a good identifier as a trip can, so I don't really know if stopping the trips would help.
>>
>>60313924
Maybe, I guess we'd find out. I'd say that IF we choose to make a weekly thread, we might start by dropping our trips for a week or two. If it doesn't work and people want to be recognizable, they can choose whether they trip or avatarfag or what not after that. I think it's mostly a matter of trying.
>>
>>60313676
The concept of this sounds really interesting but the score's kinda meh. Do you know of any good 'space' BM besides this and Darkspace?
>>
>>60313708
>Also; we could, like, go anon.
Why, I never!

Good suggestion, but this would mean that /daily/ would lose it's identity completely so the threads might as well not exist at that point unless you guys are much more dedicated to reviewing shit than I think you are. A more active real time shitposting channel sounds nice but it's much harder to catch up to what's happening if a lot of people use it. Making /daily/ it's own thing is the way to go in my opinion, and I'll share some suggestions on how to do that once I'm not sitting in a tropical lecture hall anymore.
This room is literally hell senpai.

>>60313806
>No. Tripfagging is open and raw. Tripfagging is not a flight into cynical bait- or shitposting. It is the opposite of Anonymity. Anonymity is false freedom. A poison dart shot from the shadows. A retreat that seems like an advance. An attack that is really only a shield. Anonymity is dissimulation; tripfagging is authenticity.
>Tripfagging is solar in one respect, following the sun's aspect of honesty. We are honest because we refuse to lurk in the shadows, we refuse to point fingers, we refuse to perform our rites in secret. We are not sickly, spiteful, hateful. We do not hide behind anonymity.
2deep4me
>>
>>60314014
https://vostokzero.bandcamp.com/album/space-is-hell
this is not BM, but it has the same concept and it's pretty fucking good
>>
>>60313293
I disagree

I think 'discussion' if you can call it that is at least as common as it was a year ago

it's easy to shout 'echo chamber' but that just illustrates the point - we wouldn't have such (contested and evolving) notions as 'dailycore' in the first place if this place were not in fact a space for discussion and exchange

a great many of us are doing what we always did, but perhaps in different ways. we still listen to new music daily and write about it, but using something like topsters to track it changes the way we engage with it. it would look different if we were all still using those cut-and-paste calendars, for example.

this kind of change is inevitable. it used to be that everybody would fit their listening around community recs or genre weeks to explore unfamiliar territories - some folks still do - or around DM's tournament format. I see a lot of people using topsters now to line up their backlogs. ultimately these are all ways of engaging new music every day, or something close to that.

I think we are lucky to have a spot on this board, and I see no reason to move. we have a good flow of new members (in and out, of course), a transparent and inclusive environment, and an imageboard format that we have adapted to quite well imo

if you think anti-oedipus is bonkers just flip to any page of mille plateaux to put it back into perspective

just my thoughts desu senpai
>>
File: RANDOM RYM1.jpg (538 KB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
RANDOM RYM1.jpg
538 KB, 1024x2600
As for our Random RYM Adventure, today's album is VII by Vindkaldr, a black ambient project from Norway. Apparently this was released just last month.
https://vindkaldr.bandcamp.com/releases
Happy listening!

>>60314028
poor you :(
looking forward to your suggestions but I think I'm too attached to /mu/, even though it's a cancerous shithole I probably should've avoided
>>60314051
thanks, backlogging!
>>
>>60313708
>implying we won't just keep forgetting to make threads eventually and /daily/ will die out entirely outside of skype hugboxes
>implying people will visit sync as often without anyone saying "GET IN SYNC" in the thread
>implying there will be enough people dedicated to posting longer reviews
>implying there is anything wrong with the current formula
>>
>>60314232
the current formula isn't terrible or anything, but I've seen a lot of criticism lately and I think they have a point somewhere. Change isn't exactly necessary but it may help freshen this shit up. If it means /daily/ gets /kill/ we could always choose to revert to the current formula.
>>
I see no problem with daily being as it is right now honestly. The shitposting thing is not as big as everybody makes it out to be too.
>>
>>60314391
well "/daily/ is full of memers" is a meme itself
>>
File: Works_for_Radio[1].jpg (31 KB, 540x452) Image search: [Google]
Works_for_Radio[1].jpg
31 KB, 540x452
Works for Radio: The Original Broadcasts (2006) by Samuel Beckett

This British Library compilation brings together every première production of Beckett's radio plays in English that the BBC broadcast during his life. It's ultimately a mixed bag, but some of the inclusions are astonishingly fresh even today. The recordings span from 1957's All That Fall to the 1976 Rough for Radio II. Most of them follow the familiar Beckett themes of isolation, eternity, and nihilism, so I will only pick out highlights here.

Embers (1959) is the diamond in the rough - totally unknown to me before now, but now already a firm favourite. We follow Henry as he stands on the beach and talks to the sea, and to his wife - though it's unclear it she's really there or being imagined by Henry. What's extraordinary - and indicative of the later radio work to come - is that 'the sea' is treated almost as a character, such that Henry is not performing a familiar monologue as such, but having a sort of conversation with this perpetual, hypnotic seascape which responds to his speech. Furthermore, the sound of the sea is abstracted and distorted into distant tones, almost into music (Beckett self-referentially draws attention to this in Henry's opening lines: 'you wouldn't know it was the sea if you couldn't see the sea...'). For me this is the jewel of Beckett's radio work because it integrates the traditional Beckett tropes of memory, age, and nihilism with the sonic medium, using the form to play with expectations and ultimately deliver an emotional knockout.
>>
>>60314490

The later Cascando (1962) is also very fine. It offers a retread of the more famous Words and Music (the first performance of which, given here, is decent but perhaps less effective - I prefer Feldman's later score), but is more successful and unusually gripping for Beckett. A God-like voice demonstrates his power over musical and literal narratives, but seems unable to bring either to a conclusion. The entire short play is based on a simultaneous crescendo (in music, in pacing) and decrescendo (in death, in concluding); a paradox which this production pulls off quite successfully. The idea of reaching an end or vanishing point is so well conveyed in every part. Patrick McGee's story-teller puts us on the edge of our seats throughout his monologues, whilst Humphrey Searle's music sustains its forward motion and acceleration until the climactic cliff-hanger ending, but the real point is in the way that they finally come together with the God-voice to create a three-part conversation which is always about to break into harmony and closure but can never quite reach it. Unlike most of the author's work, Cascando is actually somewhat traditional in its linear pacing (even if this is subverted throughout), and is strangely thrilling and breathtaking for that.

The other plays are worth hearing too, but are more of a mixed bag. The 70-minute All That Fall (1957) is often said to be Beckett's greatest radio play, but I'd suggest that this recording is rather rough and doesn't make the best case for it. The late Rough for Radio II (1976) is likewise weak, although the late Harold Pinter's deep-voiced Animator is a treat to hear. On the whole it's a good compilation that is more than just a collection of curiosities, although aside from Embers and Cascando I'd suggest looking elsewhere for better performances, if they're out there.
>>
File: sorry what.jpg (19 KB, 200x225) Image search: [Google]
sorry what.jpg
19 KB, 200x225
>>60314439
doesn't that imply that /daily/ isn't full of memers? because either way that would add to the meme count.
>>
>>60314439
Metaposting about /daily/ is the biggest meme of all.
>>
get taste
>>
>>60313170
>dowland
Mah nigga
>>
>>60312194
>>60312236
Going to check this one out thanks
>>
talking about the state of daily is a meme, you can do nothing
>>
File: RANDOM RYM1.jpg (577 KB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
RANDOM RYM1.jpg
577 KB, 1024x2600
oh yeah, and some of those synths are god awful
>>
GET IN SYNC
>>
new terrible idea for a chart

>>60315195
k
>>
>>60315520
Cool! I've been thinking about the film/soundtrack combo for some time as well.
>>
File: Eruditey drones s and GaussHaus.png (2 MB, 2320x1330) Image search: [Google]
Eruditey drones s and GaussHaus.png
2 MB, 2320x1330
So I listened to some stuff, but not a lot due to time constraints because of uni.

But

MY FIRST SMURM PAN IS OFFICIAL

I didn't like Folkstorm. The vocals felt cheesy. Some of the noisier bits were cool, but I think they were too concerned with trying to bring in structure that the noisy bits really suffered.

Only 3 albums left, of which 2 are really long, so I'll see how I'll do that (may start next chart before I do those, I dunno). Looking forward to finishing the chart.
>>
File: crazy.png (241 KB, 249x247) Image search: [Google]
crazy.png
241 KB, 249x247
>>60314074
The way I see it a general should serve one of two purposes: either contain a popular topic in one thread so the board isn't flooded with that topic or direct all discussion regarding an unpopular topic to one thread so that it can get some attention. /daily/ never did either of those things and without the gimmick that at least made the general homogeneous in the first few months it absolutely has no legs to stand on at the moment. Our shtick is listening to music and having opinions about said music. That's the entire board's shtick as well. What separates us from the rest of the board, and if nothing, why does this thread exist?
>if you think anti-oedipus is bonkers just flip to any page of mille plateaux to put it back into perspective
Does that mean it clears up some things from Anti-Oedipus or is it even bonkerser? I think I read that it's even bonkerser.
Either way, I will get it eventually.

>>60314112
>poor you :(
No windows, no ventilation, heating cranked up and shitty light bulbs that generate tons of heat and make an annoying buzzing noise whenever they're turned on. Pretty good room, would spend another 4 hours in it.
As for what I'd do with /daily/, I'd either make listenalongs more frequent and actually listenalongs, or drop the trips and calendars/charts and devote the general to music criticism. /weekly/ would work much better for both ideas. I had elaborate plans to carry on the shitposting tradition without shitting up a new general like that but I realised how stupid those were as soon as the headache stopped after leaving that fucking room. I really hate that room.
>>
>>60315520
>beck
le rodriguez face
>>
File: week 2.png (576 KB, 1950x500) Image search: [Google]
week 2.png
576 KB, 1950x500
Today, I listened to Hate Forest's second demo, The Curse.
Well, that might be the most lo-fi thing I've ever heard.
Too bad it does go in the way of the music. The complete lack of dynamics and overall flatness of the sound makes everything sound too monotonous, making this a good example to illustrate the difference between "lo-fi" and "cheap".
Too bad because as far as blackened death metal goes, these guys can sure play.
And their later album Battlefields spectacularly fixes the issue.
>>
>>60315520
>5.5 for On Fire
:(((
listen more, its genius shows a couple of listens in
>>60315801
seems like /daily/ is divided on the idea
>>
>>60315801
theres an interest in maintaining the general from its users which id say is enough to justify it
>>
File: listenalong.png (1 MB, 1732x1220) Image search: [Google]
listenalong.png
1 MB, 1732x1220
Catching up from this weekend...
>>
>>60305872
>Dad Rock
>Dinosaur Jr, Pavement, Dead Kennedys, Television, Gang of Four, Modest Mouse
is that a joke? particularly that last one
>>
>>60316135
Television is apparently super dad rock in some circles.
>>
>>60315801
I don't get this
There are hundreds of threads on /mu/ every day, this one shouldn't bother anyone. I literally see no reason to give up /daily/, sure it changed.
But everyone is free to leave. Or to make other threads
>>
>>60316249
The only issue with /daily/ is that it's not even devoted to something that's a part of general /mu/ culture, /daily/ and /mu/ culture are virtually identical. It's literally just a micro-/mu/ for people who think /mu/ is too mean, which is a tad pointless. I'm not saying that everyone should pack their bags and stop /daily/ing, just that maybe we should think about how we can be less pointless and work on achieving that.
>>
Remember when Spiderland or Laughing Stock was a question people asked on /mu/?
>>
>>60316343
>/daily/ and /mu/ culture are virtually identical
I disagree
I think on /daily it's easier to have some halfway serious discussion than on the big part of /mu/.
Or at least where I look, /mu/ is too big, having a smaller group of people makes alot of things easier in my opinion

Also in general going anon doesn't make sense at all
The worst posts in these threads usually come from anons, and I'm pretty sure some of them are just people who dropped their trip for a little shitposting
With having a trip everything you say has an impact on your image. And most people care about that.
With everyone being anon, I'm sure it would be alot harsher (not implying that's necessarily bad) and even more off-topic
Just my two or three cents, it's always possible to improve, but I really don't think it's bad enough for ending it
>>
>>60317100
no, what's the question exactly? which one is better?
>>
>>60317100
Those albums are wildly different from each other anyway apart from the fact that they're both called "post-rock", idk why people ever did that.

Besides, we all know the answer actually is Spirit of Eden.
>>
>>60317100
Yes. [spoiler]No[/spoiler]
>>
Do I have to also listen to GKMC before TPAB or can I go on fine?
>>
FUCK ME IN THE HEAD THE ONLY THING I CAN LISTEN NOW IS OK COMPUTER
>>
>>60317541
well, also 6 tracks, also 1991 follow up to a shorter 1989 record.

>>60317578
The story on gkmc doesn't carry over, go ahead
>>
>>60317578
they're both shit anyways Senpai ;-)
>>
>>60317589
Cool, but does it create some kind of contrasts? There are some recurrent themes?
>>
>>60317578
You should start with the Greeks.
>>
File: macdemarco.gif (2 MB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
macdemarco.gif
2 MB, 500x282
>This adorable thread
>All these non anons

Hey kids I think what you're doing here is so cute. Please keep it up, haven't laughed this hard in a while.
>>
>>60317607
Actually TPAB is very well produced and listenable famiglia a essere sincero.
>>
>>60317675
>trying this hard
>eric andre
>>
>>60317685
senza merdapostare, tpab è un album con tutto in regola e che se fossi una persona diversa adorerei, ma va semplicemente contro quello che cerco nella musica e le mie preferenze. Good kid mad city però non mi piace proprio, sarà per la voce pitched di lamar o per come il disco si ritiene importante quando in realtà ha poca materia e sostanza.
>>
>>60317762
Non italiapostiamo, così sennò nessuno ci capisce.
I've only listened to GKMC superficially, but it seemed very cool, and it is the only album with trap beats that I actually like, but I haven't checked out the lyrics seriously so I don't have an opinion on the message. Writing a review for TPAB right NOW.
>>
File: Rock Genre Standings.jpg (371 KB, 1309x805) Image search: [Google]
Rock Genre Standings.jpg
371 KB, 1309x805
Man, I've been really struggling to find shit worth listening to. I'm seriously stumped.

If anyone knows any cowpunk, grunge, techno, post-grunge, shoegaze etc from the late 80s- late 90s, I'd be interested. Going by the term "essential" that could include the most well known things like Nirvana, but I'm also looking for music from these genres that stretch the boundaries, have a varied textures in their sound, good chord progressions, unusual but pleasing note choices, things like that. As always, instrumental is a plus, many vocalists grate on me. A big thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Electronic is a still a big question mark for me. I liked some experimental 70s-80s stuff, as well as soundscapes. If there's anything like that in the 90s, great. Big Beat or other sample-heavy work I'd be interested in listening to, as well as techno/electronic and any of their many sub-genres, whatever work is stellar.
>>
>>60318253
>shoegaze
ayy
what gaze have you already heard?
>>
>>60318284

None.
>>
File: 00daily.jpg (533 KB, 1312x1097) Image search: [Google]
00daily.jpg
533 KB, 1312x1097
Sup /daily/, about to start listening to Boards of Canada. I've never listened to any of their stuff before, what should I expect?
>>
>>60318253
>techno/electronic and any of their many sub-genres
>Surgeon - This is For You Shits (DJ set, mostly industrial techno)
>Ricardo Villalobos - Fizheuer Zieheuer (EP, minimal techno)
>Jeff Mills - Live at the Liquid Room (DJ set, mostly acid/Detroit techno)
>Phuture - Acid Tracks (EP, acid techno obviously)
>The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond Ultraworld (album, "ambient" house)
>Moodymann - Silent Introduction (album, deep house)
>Maurizio - M4 (EP, dub techno)
>Basic Channel - Phylyps Trak (EP, dub techno)
Off the top of my head.
>>>/bleep/ for more. Don't ask, just listen to the tracks they post and work with that. They don't like questions.
>>
File: 41wy3Az6w-L.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41wy3Az6w-L.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
Incedentally, this is the best album of the 1980s.
>>
>>60318328
(a *** means it's absolutely essential imo)
okay, let's start with the bare essentials. there's a 'big three' of shoegaze albums AKA the three most influential and most aped albums of the genre, which are
>My Bloody Valentine - Loveless***
>Slowdive - Souvlaki***
>Ride - Nowhere***
you can't really go wrong with those, although Nowhere is considerably more spotty than the other two.

these three bands were at the time involved in a British scene (the 'Scene that Celebrates Itself') that gave birth a lot of other successful (and less successful) shoegaze bands. a couple of albums I suggest checking out are
>Chapterhouse - Whirlpool
>Lush - Split***
>Catherine Wheel - Ferment
>Pale Saints - The Comforts of Madness
once you've heard these, I think you'll understand why those are considered less essential than the 'big three'. most of these are also more altrock inspired as opposed to the more dream/noise poppy approach of MBV and Slowdive.

Around that time, a small group of American bands got air of what was happening over in Britain and started toying with shoegazey sounds, albeit less purist and more noise rock/lo-fi indie sounding. for the American gaze thingy, check out
>Medicine - Shot Forth Self Living
>Swirlies - They Spent Their Wild Youthful Days in the Glittering World of the Salons***
>Yo La Tengo - Painful***

then there's a group of bands that worked outside the boundaries traditionally inherent to shoegaze, infusing it with genres such as krautrock, space rock and early post-rock. for example
>Flying Saucer Attack - s/t***
>Slowdive - Pygmalion
>Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies

and of course there's the more recent phenomena of shoegaze revival and J-gaze. if you want more I can give you some recs for those, as well as some proto-shoegaze but I think this list will keep you busy for a bit.
>>
>>60318387
psychedelic ambient techno with nostalgic, slightly unsettling atmospheres and off-kilter beats
>>
File: smile.png (170 KB, 202x214) Image search: [Google]
smile.png
170 KB, 202x214
Synctube? I think so.
>>
Does nyarlatothep still hang out around here?
I went to a Sondre Lerche concert because of him and i'd like to thank him
>>
>>60315801
>What separates us from the rest of the board
daily listening, in one form or another. even if that only means 'today i heard x & I thought it was y', this is at core a space for that.

>>60317140
right on
>>
>>60318387
Oranges
>>
File: NBBMN.png (4 MB, 1900x1500) Image search: [Google]
NBBMN.png
4 MB, 1900x1500
>At The Heart Of Winter
Prolly my favovrite BM release so far, on the level of Hvis and Bergtatt. What I'm gonna praise is the vsval stvff: the riffs were some of the best I've heard so far, the vocalist was great and something that vsvally I don't find in these BM albvms is that this wasn't monotonovs or "one tone" at all. Great stvff

BVT I MISSED THE 666 :^(

7/10
>>
>it's almost been 24 hours and what.cd staff still haven't replied to my message
>>
Also there is literally no reason for daily to stop being daily
Ok we can try to do more organized discvssion bvt we have a load of things that make vs more than micro /mv/.
We have daily listening with reviews which doesn't exist ovtside except for starting threads with yovr opinion on an albvm or the "what are yov listening" threads which don't have discvssion. We have listenalongs every weekend and with this new random RYM thing we have things that separate vs with the random /mv/ posts.

Also if yov have a look at the catalogve yov realize how mvch shit there is on /mv/. We may meme and I and some of vs might be horrible at opinions (and at taste ;^) bvt it's certainly better than the sitvation of the whole board

Also reminder we do this every two months or something. If anyone has ideas to spark more discvssion go ahead, bvt the threads never had more discvssion than they do now. They had even less at the beginning

TLDR: I wanna keep memeing and getting patted in the back for listening to basic RYMcore

>>60318641
he does
>>
>>60318803
*pat*
Come synctube or I'll take that back.
>>
>>60307361
The vocal performance was actually one of the best parts of Agharti, I enjoyed it quite a lot. I may check out Altar's collab with Boris, I loved Boris's "Flood" so I've been meaning to check out some of their other stuff. Also yeah Pratt really was a grower, the first time I heard it it was unremarkable but the second time left a real impression and I thought it was fantastic!
>>
>>60318568
>>60318602

Excellent, this is a buncha stuff. Thanks again, guys. I hope I like these.
>>
Here goes.
>>
>>60319337
listen loudly and enjoy :)
>>
File: 1423196178322.jpg (65 KB, 452x402) Image search: [Google]
1423196178322.jpg
65 KB, 452x402
>>60315815
>>
>>60317578
gkmc is better so you should listen to it first
>>
File: bree.png (1 MB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
bree.png
1 MB, 1024x2600
>>
File: net4.png (978 KB, 1951x1057) Image search: [Google]
net4.png
978 KB, 1951x1057
Exercise - I
[2012]

The making of this album is one of its most interesting aspects. Exercise jammed with guitars and drums for an adequate amount of time, and then the guitar was completely eliminated, keeping just the drums. These have then been edited and transformed to create a freeform album. The interesting thing is that this destroys the concept of free improv, as it wasn't conceived as an improvisational piece but ended up being as one.
The concept is the most interesting aspect of this, but on a sonical way it sadly didn't stimulate me as much.

>>
>>60318589
nah i changed my mind it's Remain in Light. :)))
>>
Incedentally, this is the best album of the 1980s.
>>
File: daily november2.jpg (938 KB, 1000x1070) Image search: [Google]
daily november2.jpg
938 KB, 1000x1070
welp ive already finished my chart for this month
>>
>>60320249
might very well be true
>>
File: Slowdive- Souvlaki (1993).jpg (15 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Slowdive- Souvlaki (1993).jpg
15 KB, 240x240
MBV's "Loveless" got me to like four tracks - Only Shallow, Touched, To Here Knows When, and Soon. Besides the album weakening as it goes on, not a bad listening experience overall. Slowdive is next.
>>
>>60320348
>liking touched
>>
File: 93793399_Hrvoj_Melkus__r_1924_.jpg (48 KB, 547x686) Image search: [Google]
93793399_Hrvoj_Melkus__r_1924_.jpg
48 KB, 547x686
>>60320378
>not liking touched
>>
>>60320378

It was a nice, easy minute of fun sounds. After the first track it needed a breather like that one. Half the tracks have a shift in sound at the end of them for that reason.
>>
>>60320348
I think you wanna listen to Loveless a couple of times before judging but hey, it's a start
>>60320378
it's a nice lil' interlude track
>>
File: mommy_I'm_sorry.jpg (26 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
mommy_I'm_sorry.jpg
26 KB, 300x300
>>60318253
COWPUNK

listen to it if only for the song "Dick's Automotive" cause it's 10/10
>>
>>60320378

>Literally looking for reasons to bash neutral post
Wtf does that matter?
>>
File: thing.png (2 MB, 1024x2600) Image search: [Google]
thing.png
2 MB, 1024x2600
>:^(
>>
>>60320792
>Or Thomas pans shit and so does everybody else
>>
>>60320485
idk
i just found it surprising because it literally never occurred to me that people liked the little interlude bits. of course i don't mean to disparage peoples' tastes.
i don't really think before i post t[b[h
>>
>>60320827
it's refreshing to hear bad music now and then desu
>>
something's wrong i'm really liking this
>>
>>60319337
Wait have you actually never listened to this??
>>60320348
Or this?!?!

Also I think /daily/ discussions are 100x better and more on topic than the rest of /mu/. Look at the catalogue: waifu thread, grimes thread, thread where newfag posts a pic of TVU&N and writes 10/10 with no further explanation, thread that only prompts image based responses, thread that only prompts shitposting based responses, pitchfork thread, fantano thread, a thread that's just some kind of random request, and maybe a general that's about a genre I don't care about.
Oh and maybe there's a thread that's discussing some interesting artist. Oh that thread has only 2 responses. And it's on page 10. And now it's archived. Because when an actual interesting discussion topic that hasn't happened a million times gets posted to /mu/, the thread dies very quickly.

In my opinion, /daily/ is more or less a containment thread for the people on /mu/ that actually listen to music.
>>
>>60321040

The method I have for listening to music is a little more comprehensive (in sheer volume, anyway). I wanted context and understanding for where certain styles came from or how modern sounds were inspired, so I started in the mid-60s and slowly worked my way up in time. I'm currently hovering around the late 80s- late 90s, so only JUST now have I finally gotten to bands like MBV and Slowdive.
>>
>>60320965
oh yeah that's definitely a 7/10
>>
>>60321116
no, i'm thinking an 8.5 for side one alone. Even Run Run Run, but that might be because I'm a sucker for swing. Hell even Femme Fatale, which I never liked much before, that progression on the verses is actually quite sharp (guess I should focus on that more than nico's singing there)
>what a CLOWN
>>
>>60321098
Jeez. Well you'll have a lot to enjoy in the '90s if you play your cards right.
>>
>>60321171
nico's tracks are so amazing im scared of listening to desertshore because i think ill love it too much

seriously femme fatale and i'll be your mirror have some of the best rhymes and magic between words i've heard
>>
>>60321234
Oh yeah, I really like Desertshore, and Chelsea Girl as well, plus the other Nico tracks on TVUN, but for some reason I never liked her delivery on FF (not to mention Lou and John's backing vocals, ugh).
>>
>>60320965
that's taste kicking in
>>
>>60321309
that's plebeian kicking in
>>
>>60321309
>>60321466
I will say There She Goes Again is the absolute weakest track.
>>
File: plebsmh.png (19 KB, 1799x82) Image search: [Google]
plebsmh.png
19 KB, 1799x82
>>60321466
no that would be this
>>
File: 3426300043542[1].jpg (76 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
3426300043542[1].jpg
76 KB, 400x400
Maison rose (1977) by Emmanuelle Parrenin, recommended by hahaha

Gorgeous, sun-bright music, this. The opening 'Ce matin' has the sunrise down to a tee: a gentle, folky guitar is gradually joined by a chorus of hurdy-gurdy and drone in a crescendo of light, and sets the tone perfectly for what is to come. It's nominally a folk album, but only by listening can one hear how reductionist that label is.

Parrenin has a perfectly smooth voice. Her French is accented but never forced. She doesn't at all demand attention, but it's impossible not to give it when she sings. Yet there are only a few songs as such among this material. Her singing is only half the story, because so much of Maison rose is given over to what elsewhere would be called 'interludes' but here become the substance of record. These instrumentals, sound-pieces, and soft accents radiate the gentle feel which one can divine from the cover.

What's immediately noticeable is how precise yet warm the production is. It's hard to believe that this was released in 1977 not only because it sounds so good, but because it has such a mature use of ambient electronics (so much so you'd barely notice they were there) and confidence in technique. The long instrumental 'Topaze' could sound like rather refined 90s trip-hop, minus the gloom. 'Après l'ondée' handles gentle waves of electronic drone with aged delicacy. In many ways this is an astonishing album for its time.

Actually my only substantial complaint is that there is perhaps not enough song. I find it easy to interpret this record as a beautiful house, as the title and cover suggest, which is filled with stately rooms and spaces that one can inhabit and move through. Maybe that makes the inhabitants the songs, which are wrapped in these gorgeous interludes; but I wish there one or two more people living here. Parrenin's voice is too enchanting to be left out. I look forward to returning to this record, especially once spring has returned.
>>
>>60318698
yiss that album is good
>>
File: plug dj meme.jpg (4 KB, 125x121) Image search: [Google]
plug dj meme.jpg
4 KB, 125x121
sync.

>>60321556
tell me why you care about that album. it's not even bad but it's like not really good either desu
>>
File: calendar day 9.png (3 MB, 1660x1023) Image search: [Google]
calendar day 9.png
3 MB, 1660x1023
I know I'm behind as fuck but calculus midterms tho.

Otomo Yoshihide's New Jazz Ensemble - Dreams
>jazz, chamber music
>recommended by Reglob

This was pretty nice. From the name, I was expecting some really traditional jazz, but I was pleasantly surprised by a collection of relatively avant garde songs that still manage to hold an amount of charm, thanks to emotional performances, a diverse array of moods and instrumentations, and top-notch production. Each song here has some elements of traditional jazz in the form of swinging rhythms and extensive horn & sax arrangements, but these elements seem to take turns with the band’s own choices of unique instruments and direction.

For example: “Preach”, the opener, starts with a slow muted guitar riff but eventually evolves into a loungey, jazzy vignette as more and more horns join the band. On the flipside, “Teinen Pushiganga” generally keeps to it’s own identity, adopting a woodwind section but remaining a pretty non-jazzy number. Though all of these songs take a dramatic evolution from beginning to end, the large changes in arrangement fortunately seem organic and natural.
>>
>>60321602
its good
>>
Of course, it would be impossible to review an album and not mention the 16 minute odyssey, “Eureka”. All of the other elements in this album seem to be amplified in this song in particular; the jazziness takes the form of a freeform freakout at the end, and the quieter non-jazz parts are represented by an ambient / field recording section and a few bleeps and bloops here and there. Again, though the song takes so many different sounds and styles, the band moves between them organically so it never feels forced or jarring when a transition happens.

The only complaint I have with this album is the vocals. I guess the fragile, sometimes-not-on-pitch tone that the singer uses is supposed to be emotional, but the fact that it’s all in Japanese makes it hard to empathize with them. I won’t fault the album though, that’s more my fault than its.

Overall: A really interesting, fleeting collection of avant-jazz with loads of diversity and charm, wrapped in a modern and clean production value.
>>
>>60321791
>>60321809
Nice! You managed to put into words how I feel about this album.
>>
File: lou reed.jpg (15 KB, 356x237) Image search: [Google]
lou reed.jpg
15 KB, 356x237
itt talentless hacks
>>
File: Rolling Stones pointing.jpg (82 KB, 1023x681) Image search: [Google]
Rolling Stones pointing.jpg
82 KB, 1023x681
>>60322191
>>
>>60322052
Thanks!

I liked the album a lot :3
>>
File: yurga hinga dinder.png (3 MB, 1680x1757) Image search: [Google]
yurga hinga dinder.png
3 MB, 1680x1757
I think if this band met up with Dome they could make something amazing.
>>
>>60322541
they did make something amazing

it's called Digital Stimulation you pleb
>>
>Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

I was expecting a far more aggressive album to be honest, but this is quite enjoyable. There's a lot of character in the playing, and Lonely Woman is a true demonstration of "The Shape of Jazz to Come." In a time where cool jazz was king, it's very understandable to see why this was such a unique album.

8/10
>>
File: Ride- Going Blank Again (1992).jpg (106 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Ride- Going Blank Again (1992).jpg
106 KB, 600x600
Ohhhh that's where this album cover comes from.
>>
>listening to only one genre per month
>>
>>60324556
Nah november is a special month
sometimes followed by noise december
>>
File: Screenshot 2015-11-11 20.18.14.png (2 MB, 1530x1084) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2015-11-11 20.18.14.png
2 MB, 1530x1084
God I fucking love Escape From Noise. It just...
tickles me...

Anyway
Listened to The Marble Index while on my walk. I wasn't sure what to expect from this because I've heard mixed things. Overall not a bad album, but I found the first couple songs to be boring and a little irritating, but it got better as it went along. Holy shit though, Evening of Light is an amazing track. The folk instrumentals, drones, and Nico's voice just perfectly sync up on this track and it's beautiful and god damn terrifying.

Listened to Cadenza on the Night Plain last night, which was pretty dope as well. I'll have to give it some relistens, but I think I might actually like it more than In C.
>>
File: self portrait.png (107 KB, 576x830) Image search: [Google]
self portrait.png
107 KB, 576x830
hello /meta/, I found out today i'm 127 pounds and i'm basically slowly dying unless i eat bunches of food

i might do sad music november because i'm pretty sad desu senpai

>>60322541
holy shit that'd be a phenomenal combo, industrial zolo? sign me the fuck up.
>>
File: full.png (2 MB, 1726x1146) Image search: [Google]
full.png
2 MB, 1726x1146
>>60325490
i need to get into nico more. loved desertshore, but that's all i've heard of her outside of the velvet underground.
ROCK MUSIC BLARES
>>
>>60325490

CARRRRRRRRRRR BOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMB
>>
File: mineralpoweroffalling.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
mineralpoweroffalling.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
holy SHIT this is better than endserenading
>>
File: 2015-11-05 02.01.27 1.jpg (3 MB, 2448x2446) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-05 02.01.27 1.jpg
3 MB, 2448x2446
Question:

What exactly does "American Primitivism" mean?
Doing my review for O'Rourke's Bad Timing and I've heard it's a good jumping off point for the genre, but I don't really understand what the genre entails.
>>
>>60326518
American Primitivism refers to a style of guitar playing that blends the standard fingerpicking technique of country/acoustic blues with classical and avant-garde compositions. The style was pioneered by John Fahey and other artists on his Takoma label.

And yeah, Bad Timing is a great jumping off point, hope you liked it!
>>
>>60326010
New 5/5 inc?
>>
File: daily face.png (6 KB, 251x258) Image search: [Google]
daily face.png
6 KB, 251x258
daily give me a random album to listen to.
>>
File: La_Llorona_cover[1].jpg (7 KB, 234x233) Image search: [Google]
La_Llorona_cover[1].jpg
7 KB, 234x233
>>60327155
>>
>>60318602
Aren't most of what people complain about Nowhere due to bonus tracks?
>>
>>60303707
Listened to this for the first time today, and i thought devo sucked but they really dont
>>
Bump. God I suck at physics. Fuck.
>>
>>60329687
;_;
iktf
except with calculus
>>
>>60329942
Numbers were so much easier in high school... Sometimes I listen to glitch when I get sad about being bad at math. I feel like I can empathize with a broken piece of technology trying to serve its purpose and failing.
>>
>>60330782
that is

that's extremely heavy
;___;

I've been feeling that way a lot recently :/
>>
>>60330957
Is this your first year of school? This is my second. I would say to persist. And don't be afraid to ask teachers for help a lot. But things are still shitty sometimes...

I feel bad cause this is all pretty off topic, but we're keeping the thread bumped, so whatever.
>>
>>60328141
Sometimes, but more often than not it's the 'britpop with reverb' argument
>>
>>60331073
Yeah, I'm in first year.

I think some of the anxiety comes from the fact that my parents always put a lot of importance on getting good grades to get into a good university, so now that things aren't going as well as I hoped, it seems like I've been working my whole life towards something I can't do.

Music for this feel?
>>
>>60331103
Snowing - Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit EP

>FULL SPEED TO A FUTURE OF SELF-MEDICATION AND POOR UDERSTANDING OF EVERYTHING YOU WASTED FOUR YEARS IN LEARNING
>>
>>60331140
I've never really gotten into Snowing or Emo in general, but now seems like an appropriate time to start
>>
Holy fuck Danzig IV really is awesome what the fuck
I thought it was a joke or something
>>
>>60303707
I found this in my mom's record collection. Does that mean she's patrician?
>>
I lost my lab reports so now I'll have to do the whole subject again next year. Music for this feel?
Also bump, we /dead/.
>>
File: suicide_lp-500x500.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
suicide_lp-500x500.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
>>60332197
>>
>>60332197
Well you wanted us dead right
>>
>>60332413
No tbpsatmf.
>>
File: lememefestival.png (4 MB, 1000x1024) Image search: [Google]
lememefestival.png
4 MB, 1000x1024
Hey /daily/!

Le Meme Fest in a week!
>>
File: get taste.png (5 KB, 145x30) Image search: [Google]
get taste.png
5 KB, 145x30
>>60333298
>>
>>60333298
This will be the peak of /daily/
>>
File: music peen.png (14 KB, 571x564) Image search: [Google]
music peen.png
14 KB, 571x564
>>60333298
list me and mish too tho

>>60333897
taste is for chumps

>>60334032
>implying decline
worrisome
>>
>>60333298
You can cross me out, i will be missing in action
>>
Jesus fuck, where is Hampus with the goddamn /trad/ thread

I'd start it up but I am not nearly learned enough to pick the next country/region

if he isn't back by next monday though, I'm taking the reigns.
>>
Did any of you nerds listened to the compilation Deathprod?
Should I take it?
Is it worth?
>>
bumperone
>>
Fucking hell, we /dead/
Also will probably post the review for TPAB tomorrow since I'm tired and want to listen to it a few more times
>>
>>60333298
What is the memefest
>>
>>60335886
"Le Guess Who?"
>>
File: week 2.png (576 KB, 1950x500) Image search: [Google]
week 2.png
576 KB, 1950x500
Today, I listened to Nocturnal Poisoning by Xasthur. And you know how kvlt that will get when you know it was the one-man project of a guy called Malefic.
And I must say, it came at the right time, just when I was starting to think my black metal week was stale if not boring.
This album is tiresome to go through in all the right ways. As a double LP,it does drag but the constant flow of piercing and shrieking instrumentation, occasionally backed by some eerie synthes and organs manages to renew itself in textures, rythms and melodies or lack thereof. enough at least to keep things fresh during the length of the album.
I am fairly sure the version I got to listen was the remaster used for the vinyl pressing and some of the decisions taken here actually serve the music well. For a black metal album, we have a fairly clear sound here with discenrable melodic guitars and synths with the typical wall of distorsion backing the ensemble and repetitive, hypnotic drums to provide with a progression on volume and intensity every now and then. With the very dirty drum sound and the overall repetitions of the backing lines, everything ends up feeling a td mecanical,which does serve the purpose and aesthetic of the album by making the sound itself an unstoppable mass obeying only to itself and rolling furether with no end in sight. Only problem is that the course itself is not that captivating for the whole run and some moments can feel a bit too long and lose the listener at points.
>>
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

My introduction to the world of funk. I absolutely loved it, catchy, upbeat, groovy, and everything I expected from an album like this. The first track became a little too self indulgent for my taste once it passed the 5 minute mark (I just wanted them to hurry up and get to the rockin'!) And some of the hooks were a little too repetitive to the point where it started to get boring. Other than that, I'm looking forward to exploring the world of funk.

Space Needle - The Moray Eels Eat the Space Needle

After another long, guitar wanking, opening track (this one was a bit more interesting though) the album puts its best foot forward with some hypnotizing, minimalist, space rock ballads. Quite long are the songs, but they don't seem to detract from the overall enjoyment, just gives you more time to be immersed in the lovely wave of mellow guitars. The album loses traction when they try to take a more traditional Neo-psych/indie rock approach and just churn out track after track of snooze worthy material. But the second to last track gets things back on path....and then the last one fumbles the ball again.

>>
File: 1447009893650.png (90 KB, 212x205) Image search: [Google]
1447009893650.png
90 KB, 212x205
>>60312194
Checked this out and it is a great piece of great wank. Like Derek Bailey but was just a tad bit more surreal. I am interested in how he got out certain sounds out of his guitar. pretty impressive. At times it made me think of a much more synth-oriented sound in terms of the overall qualities.

Also I am starting to think that whatever artists create under the tag "blues" when it's actually not really "blues" is some of my most favorite types of "blues".

Anyway,the wanking was so enjoyable on here I actually went off for a wank myself. Still can't quiet get the same sound as Reichel though.

9-/10

Thanks for this Jenkins! (or should I say...Jerkin's....)
>>
>>60334767
>tfw no one of my favorite memers responds to me
>>
File: NBBMJNN.jpg (1 MB, 1612x1064) Image search: [Google]
NBBMJNN.jpg
1 MB, 1612x1064
>Primordial - A Journey's End
Finally some less boring stuff in this genre. The is more a Black/Doom metal album The riffs are very entertaining, epic but not really setting a particular atmosphere. Most of the time, the singer uses exagerated clean vocals you could encounter on a Traditional Doom album. I usually dislike this but it doesn't really clash with the music here. The first three or four tracks are good but after that it just drags on for a bit too long.
7/10

>Nagelfar - Hünengrab Im Herbst
This album is quite good. This is atmospheric bm which manage to be varied enough to be interesting, alternating between aggressive moments and calmer parts. It features two 14 minutes tracks but it doesn't really feel long. The overall sound is good and clear. The 3rd track features uncommon metallic percussions which sounds exactly like something you could hear on a Foetus album. The last song also makes good use of piano. The only problem is that damn guy with the clean vocals. The german language isn't particularly easy on the ears but this guy doesn't even try to make it pleasant, singing with the most monotous voice ever which kinda ruins the whole experience.
7/10
>>
>>60337643
I haven't heard it.
>>
File: tumblr_l5img6OHwe1qzf8yeo1_500.jpg (100 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_l5img6OHwe1qzf8yeo1_500.jpg
100 KB, 500x500
>>60337388
Glad you liked it!
Have you heard anything by Bill Orcutt? It's rooted in blues as well and the references to blues are a little more obvious on what I've heard from Orcutt (anwtpod, Way Down South and that recent vdsq release). I think you'd really like Way Down South.
>>
File: image.jpg (205 KB, 750x1026) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205 KB, 750x1026
>my niece on facebook
>this amount of plebiness in my family

Also what'y'all listening too? I listened to some Death Grips which was mediocre, some Flaming Lips which was outright shit and the first disc of STFB which was amazing.
>>
File: Droning the Cunt.png (3 MB, 1900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Droning the Cunt.png
3 MB, 1900x1200
>>
>>60337996
Awesome, I'll download this and try to listen to tonight!
>>60338104
I assume she is kinda young so it's totally cool
>>
>>60338104
what flaming lips album?
>>
>>60338486
Soft Bulletin

>>60338480
Yeah she's kinda young but not that much younger actually
>>
File: Bill Orcutt - Tupac Tattoo.png (1 MB, 1180x1181) Image search: [Google]
Bill Orcutt - Tupac Tattoo.png
1 MB, 1180x1181
>>60338104
>a tilde seperating artist and album name

Aparently Bill Orcutt released this weird project this year. I'm closing in on the last track right now. It doesn't come close to his other stuff and i don't like the 'rock' vibe he's going for. Maybe i listen to one of his earlier albums after this. Or i might do some netlabel stuff.
>>60338333
Which track track did you like the most from You are My Everlovin/Celestial Power?
>>
>>60338333
do astigmatic next
>>
>>60338510
woooooowwww

pleb

at least pick one of their shitty albums to hate on

it's probably just your old man ears, they can't handle anything beside your precious dadrock.
Go play with your niece old timer, I'm sure you have some grankids on the way.

(btw it's also why you probably don't understand your nieces superior taste)
>>
>>60338572
The thing I most envy in you is that you actually took the time to defend this shit album.
>>
File: net5.png (981 KB, 1951x1057) Image search: [Google]
net5.png
981 KB, 1951x1057
Jim Lace/Alex Nova - Twists
[2014]

It's the joyful and playful synths that get me. Jim Lace and Alex Nova used to be in a band called Onyx System. Well, they actually were the only two members of the group, but for some reason they broke up and released this with their owm names instead. The songs are really evocative and know how to take you in the right places, and maybe that's something i should give credit to alex nova, the vocalist, that with whispered lines of voice and interesting track names contributes to the worldbuilding.

7-
>>
>>60338572
>at least pick one of their shitty albums to hate on
all of them then?
>>
>>60338682
it's sad to see some one so senile and confused as you.
Maybe it's time we put you in a home, grandpa eruditey

here, we'll even put on your favorite Boston records to keep you happy!

poor old sap, he hasn't got much left in him does he doc?

No, unfortunately he is suffering from a rare case of dementia known as Plebicitus.
Terrible condition, symptoms include shit taste, flairs of autism, and a general degradation in brain matter.
>>
>>60338889
A second case! it must be a plebicitus epidemic!
>>
File: image.jpg (231 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
231 KB, 1280x960
>>60338957
Xxxxxxxxxx
>>
>>60339050
aww look grandpa is trying to use his camera, how cute!

he doesn't even know how to take an in focus picture or rotate it, poor old guy.
>>
File: 1405927693943.jpg (25 KB, 440x410) Image search: [Google]
1405927693943.jpg
25 KB, 440x410
>>60338989
>>
>>60339289
>watching dad-toons

keep up with the times you geezers, nobody likes the sampsons
watch some Gumball or Clarence you caveman
>>
File: more like the LAMING lips.png (19 KB, 219x103) Image search: [Google]
more like the LAMING lips.png
19 KB, 219x103
>>60339319
>formed 1983
>more than a decade and a half old than the simpsons
cmon step it up
>>
File: beef.jpg (592 KB, 1200x750) Image search: [Google]
beef.jpg
592 KB, 1200x750
>>
>>60339432
beef
>>
>>60338104
>First Aid Kit
>implying
>>
File: onlooking.jpg (28 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
onlooking.jpg
28 KB, 540x360
>>60339416
>more than a decade and a half
>simpsons started in 1989
>mfw

also
>implying early flaming lips isn't glorified dad-rock
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 98

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.