[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you save the music industry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (15 KB, 499x479) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
15 KB, 499x479
Album sales are dropping;

So far I can only see the following things holding the music industry up:

>YouTube (advertising)
>Spotify (advertising/membership etc)
>iTunes (plebians gonna plebe)
>Touring/Shows
>Merchandise
>Product Placement (Beats got this locked)

Plus the people who are listening to independent artists probably aren't buying it much because anyone who has the time to search for lesser known music probably knows how to download it for free. This might be generalizing a bit but lets be honest how many of your MP3's did you pay for? In my case probably less than 5% of the music I have on my computer.

How do we keep good music profitable? I can only foresee a dark age where musicians make good music as a hobby and the same shiety artists will rehash the same radio shit forever.

What genres do you think will stay profitable in the next 10 years?

CD's are nearly dead. I think that the recent interest in Vinyl will decrease soon because it is impractical to listen to - and then re-increase again eventually.

Personally I know a lot of you on here (me included) involved in making music would like to be able to make a living out of it one day and I struggle to see it happening in the audial-dystopian future I think we're moving toward.

What think (p.s sorry for the wall of text)
>>
Music as an industry is over. It came about because the only people who could realistically afford to record and distribute music on a national/international level where the companies that would become record labels. Now that anyone can cheaply record their music and upload it there's no need record labels and the industry beyond publicity.

I don't get this attachment to the record industry. Record labels have historically ripped off artists so its not like streaming services and online distributors ripping them off is any different.

The music industry is a dying because it has no reason to exist anymore.
>>
>>60298490 (me)

Also I think the money has always been in merchandise BC the record label keeps most of the money from record sales. Even someone like Taylor swift selling actual physical records by the millions still does touring and merchandising, because that's where the real money is.
>>
I doesn't need saving you dope

People who enjoy making music will always make music
>>
i think the death of the record label would be a good thing, and that if nobody could make much money off music, people who would make music would have to want to for music's sake, not for money. i've never asked for money for my music, and even when i make CDs of my own music, i just leave it places for people to find, or give it out for free. music has no value, i just like making it, and it makes me feel honored when people spend some of their finite time (which is valuable) listening to the music i make.
>>
>>60298649
Making music as a hobby and making music as a means of living are not the same and a hobby should not be confused with involvement in the industry/professional side of music.
>>
I wouldn't, I would dismantle it. Imagine if all music was free, people would only make it to express themselves rather than to make money or become famous, and it would go back to an art form.
>>
>>60298008
nothing
musicians have always come from rich families
if you ain't got the funds don't bother

go into STEM
>>
you'd probably need a marxist utopian system for a perfect music industry
>>
>>60298008

"The industry is stupid and run by asswipes. make your own industry."
-Thomas Fec (a.k.a TOBACCO)
>>
I think that you need to make some kind of income from music to truly have the tools to make new innovative music of any interest.

Of course you want to make music so that people will hear it and enjoy it and relate to it etc but nobody is going to be able to put their time into it if they aren't making money out of it.

I mean yes you can make music with a very small budget in fact it's what I do now but with a pirate copy of FL Studio a pair of Monitors and a Synth and between working full time and gym I have very little time nor money to put into music.

You can't just communise the music industry entirely because then the quality of the music will fall just like the quality of life for people of communistic communities.
>>
>>60298699

And it would become flooded with amateurs

In olden days the only people who made music were people who were employed by the court of royalty or else had a wealthy benefactor. If there's no money to sustain the artist, there's not gonna be anything with much artistic integrity due to lack of ability to cultivate their art. High art will be dead, if it's even still alive at this point

But that's just me conjecturing
>>
>>60299020
Patently false, tons of people "made music". Do you think all those bush people in the jungle have patrons? Where do you think tribal and folk music come from? Suggesting that music is only a product that comes about when you throw money at an artists feet is laughable. Music has existed before money as we know it was even a thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_flutes

Thirty five thousand years old musical instruments.

Lmaoing @ ur opinion.

Also implying that music NOW isn't flooded with amateurs. Even if you needed a patron or record deal to make a living off of music, or to create """"" good """ music, you wouldn't be able to stop anyone who wanted to from trying to create it.
>>
>>60298008

Let them die. The big companies will fail, while the true labels and artists commited to music will prevail
>>
>>60299156

I'm talking about "high" art, you absolutely illiterate troglodyte. Of course music has existed for thousands of years, holy fuck. "olden days" means back in the Baroque to Romantic western music eras, which you should have gleaned if you weren't literally autistic.

And it's flooded with amateurs now precisely because of the internet drastically lowering the barrier to entry. Which is not in itself a bad thing, because there are...idk what to call them, autodidacts maybe...out there who wouldn't have been heard otherwise and who make really great music, but it still allows, like you said, literally anyone to make music and throw it out there.
>>
>>60299550
Different person here, but I much prefer this system actually. I'm probably completely alone here, but the "high art" you speak of feels soulless and self-congratulating to me, especially when compared with the purity of "amateurs" making traditional music during the same time periods. Art as an elitist concept only serves, well, the elite.
>>
>>60299671

Yeah, I dunno. I can see what you mean, especially with large scale symphonic pieces, but smaller chamber music stuff can be really emotive imo, especially shit like Bach or Scriabin.

I don't really disagree with you, I'm just thinking if the industry collapses entirely it'll fundamentally change the music landscape and it'd probably have an impact on quality, even of...whatever you wanna call em, the amateur/folk guys

Totally talkin out my ass, I just wanted to be antagonistic to that other guy
>>
I want it to die, i want the jews to lose all their money, i want to watch it burn.
>>
also
>advertising

Hey. jews, adblock, look it up.

I haven't seen a commercial or advertisement in years.
>>
File: 6800673214_5f3b062c65_z.jpg (104 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
6800673214_5f3b062c65_z.jpg
104 KB, 640x480
In the old days musicians had to beg kings and queens or wealthy people to be their benefactors.
There was also folk music, the common man with a guitar.
If music loses value to capitalism it will return to being art and not a product.

Maybe the new way for you to make money off of music is through commissions.
Im a painter and people would pay me to draw or paint something for them.
This might work in music as well?
Just a smaller version of the begging kings, just some plebe wants you to make a stoner rock song and he pays you money to make one.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.