[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best fan mix of Smile you heard? What is the worst
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: SMiLE (Sonic Oasis).png (600 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
SMiLE (Sonic Oasis).png
600 KB, 600x600
What is the best fan mix of Smile you heard? What is the worst fan mix of Smile you heard?
>>
They all more or less sound pretty shit compared to the Smile Sessions. No offense to anyone who's done it.
>>
AlternateBrianWilson is best. The worst is 3971, because nobody should mix the original recordings with BWPS.
>>
Anyone ever heard of SMiLE: Millennium Edition?
>>
I've never listened to any smile version besides Smile Sessions. Is it worth it?
>>
>>60296151
Eh, it's nice to see other people's ideas
>>
>you will never live in an alternate timeline where Smile was finished and Brian went on to fulfill his full potential as a songwriter
>>
File: 1445047799921.jpg (46 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1445047799921.jpg
46 KB, 640x640
>fan mix
>>
>>60296324
Originally scheduled for release in December 1966 or January 1967, Capitol Records continuously pushed back the release date and put considerable pressure on the Beach Boys, who were ultimately forced to abandon their planes for an independent record label. Capitol released “Here Today”, b/w “You Still Believe in Me” as a single in February 1967 to fill the gap. Smile was finally released on July 1, 1967, right as the band’s popularity and reputation in the US was slipping amidst the rise of the psychedelic era. The album initially polarized critics, with many celebrating it as an artistic triumph and Brian Wilson’s magnum opus, and others expressing confusion and labeling it as an unfocused waste of talent. Capitol’s rigorous promotion allowed it to reach number 1 on the Billboard album chart for five weeks, replacing the Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, and certified Platinum by the RIAA by the end of the decade. The success and acclaim of Smile gave the Beach Boys a reinvigorated popularity and artistic veneration, and an alternate version of “Heroes and Villains”, featuring elements from the rest of the album, was a top five hit. In 1968, Smile won the Grammy Award for Album of the Year. Today’ the album is considered one of the greatest and most important in pop music history. In 2004, it was ranked number 7 on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.
>>
>>60296324
Except surfs up exists
>>
>>60296151
Its good if you want:

- a more historical approach (SLN mix, by example)
- more complete and longer versions
- to get rid of the unnecesary edition of The Smile Sessions
>>
Reminder that there are two SLN mixes and that the 2004 BWPS mix is the superior one.
>>
>>60296151
Brian's voice on BWPS is a bit hoarse, but the production is much tighter than on Smile Sessions.
>>
File: 1368909405062.jpg (462 KB, 2560x2489) Image search: [Google]
1368909405062.jpg
462 KB, 2560x2489
>>60296348
if only
>>
I need to find an underrated SMiLE mix Any Recs?
>>
MOK was a pretty good mix at the time
>>
>>60295806
>AlternateBrianWilson is best
my nigga

that was my shit before the official sessions release
>>
Can someone link me AlternateBrianWilson? All the links I've found online are out of date.
>>
>>60298022
I found it on Soulseek. Its at 192 kbps.
>>
>>60298132
>your search yielded no results
>>
>>60298181
Search for "alternatebrianwilson" or "alternate brian wilson".
>>
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d2p9rr1mddd481g/ABWPS.zip

found a working link to AlternateBrianWilson
>>
File: 1444533705917.png (564 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1444533705917.png
564 KB, 719x719
>>60299363
"Warning: Malware Detected"
>>
>>60299635
i didn't get that message.
>>
>>60299723
nope, you got a virus instead
>>
>>60299787
Stop being a dick
>>
>>60295806
>because nobody should mix the original recordings with BWPS
It's done as sparingly as possible while still presenting the album with all musical segments present and some of the tracks really benefit from having old world weary Brian. The end of Wonderful sounds really nice with the BWPS end.
It'd be better with the 60s Boys singing it, but since that's impossible the BWPS stuff filling in gaps makes it a much more complete album in the way BWPS was but with as much of the original sessions as possible.

Also, does anyone feel like Van Dyke Parks would have been perfect for the sort of spoken word bridge of Holiday? Hearing the BWPS version of it I always think of him for some reason.
>>
bump2
>>
>>60295690
https://vimeo.com/136646972
SLN mix here, probably my favorite version. Not sure what makes this more historically accurate, if anybody knows why?
>>
>>60302051
>no Gee
DROPPED
>>
I think realistically,Smile would have been released in two parts. I mean, had the album been released as originally planned, there's no way they would have left all that leftover material go to waste. They would have finished it for the next album. So, I think Smile would have been released in two parts. It'd end up like how Radiohead released Kid A and Amnesiac.
>>
>>60302588
>there's no way they would have left all that leftover material go to waste
They did that with the entire album...
>>
>>60295690
fuck that guy on youtube who took the "child child child, father of the man" parts out of Surf's Up
>>
ijojknn
>>
>>60303463
>They did that with the entire album
They only did that because Brian went crazy while making it. He stayed away from the material for years because it brought bad vibes. But some material from Smile was revisited and released on later albums.

Had Smile been released back in the day, it would have been because Brian hadn't gone crazy.
>>
>>60295690
the Pet Sounds style one
>>
>>60303972
What mix is that?
>>
Surf's Up is the best song ever written
>>
>>60305541
he took it out because it wasn't recorded in 1967, they added it while rerecording during the 'surf's up' album in 1971 (fun fact, it was acutally brian who came down stairs and told them to put the child is the father of the man reference in that part of the song). little does that guy on youtube know, the second and last sections of surf's up were supposed to be fully arranged with a full band, but the recordings of those parts were lost or stolen or not completed. literally the holy grail of beach boys stuff, now that smile sessions has been released
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVENkH7s1eQ

This guy does magic, he can isolate the vocals from the piano demos. This is Brian vocals from 1966 with the backing track of BWPS. He also made clean versions with no piano of Im in Great Shape and Barnyard that are better than TSS imo.

>>60302051
I think its explained on the link below the video.

>>60305750
link?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.