[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>spend decades seeking out and appreciating increasingly complex
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 17
File: 631.x600.mr.thirlwell.prev.jpg (77 KB, 600x605) Image search: [Google]
631.x600.mr.thirlwell.prev.jpg
77 KB, 600x605
>spend decades seeking out and appreciating increasingly complex music
>decide to put on something in the background while I work or play
>everything in my collection is so demanding, it detracts from the activity
>hated pop music as a teenager so I have nothing simple to hark back to
>everything you stumble upon is puerile bollocks for teenagers or feelgood bullshit for proles
>>
lol sucks 2 b u
>>
ambient you flop
>>
I kinda did the same thing, although I do enjoy quite a bit of vapid pop music, so I usually just put that on. In fact, for this exact reason, I end up listening to more vapid pop even though I enjoy the rest of my library more.
>>
File: brian-eno.jpg (55 KB, 304x304) Image search: [Google]
brian-eno.jpg
55 KB, 304x304
>>60292294
I've tried some of it, I end up thinking I might as well put on some white noise for how much I enjoy it.

>>60292312
Finding pop I don't hate is remarkably tricky, I loved Shake it Off, but the rest of her popular songs bore the shit out of me or annoy me for various reasons.

I don't think I've got good taste or anything, but it'd be nice if I wasn't so picky about what I enjoy sometimes.

>>60292241
Thank you for your input, but I politely disagree.
>>
>>60292337
senpai try these, also, any more examples of pop/not very attention-demanding music you like?

mumcore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJVMM8P6Yfg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cz327sNp7o

blandwave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDaAppNB8bA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJAYI8IiL2g
>>
>>60292337
Do you like progressive rock/metal?

There are some very good albums put out in the genre that have great musical worth, but if you don't actively listen, it's fine as background.
>>
File: Philip-Glass.jpg (18 KB, 280x265) Image search: [Google]
Philip-Glass.jpg
18 KB, 280x265
>>60292376
>mumcore:

Dear god, no.

>blandwave:

Quite enjoying this sound of a woman, the vocals are appealing and the lyrics are open to interpretation which suits me well. Gets a bit old after the first song, but I'm actively listening which isn't going to help it.

I find myself listening to a few videogame soundtracks for this sort of thing, I tend to enjoy music that evokes emotion, but I hate stuff that's bland feelgood. I'm also a bit edgy, so I like stuff with a darker ambiance or spooky vibes, Lazerhawk's Skull and Shark is a good example.

>>60292433
I do, but only what I've picked up from my Father, Soft Machine in particular.

Something that stands up well to either type of listening would be ideal.
>>
>>60292497
sounds like dark ambient is for you then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHr4cVqUFDk
>>
>>60292433
Keep in mind, these start slow and continue to build. The nature of progressive metal is both very soft and very loud(juxtaposition for impact) with emphasis on instrumental prowess.

Contortionist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8OV45Dj8SM

TesseracT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmR0gkojHDs

Liquid Tension Experiment(instrumental project by Dream Theater band members)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iMMoGuUxks

I personally like to listen to concept albums in the background, so when I give them a full listen later, I've already absorbed some of the emotions, story, and flow of the album. Anything by Ayreon or The Dear Hunter would be good for this.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 256x197
>>60292376
Froot is quite nice, I like how quietly energetic it is, the bounce gives it a nice rhythm to work to.

>>60292557
Investigating this now.

I don't know anything other that the most crude terms for genres, is there anything that's in an electronica/industrial area, while being dark and spooky?

I'm using dark and spooky as terms rather than edgy, because I hate the 'hardcore edge' stuff like Slipknott and a lot of the Black Metal I've tried, preferring the 'fun edgy' of artists like Rob Zombie. I honestly am not sure how to describe what I'm after with any precision.
>>
>>60292230
>increasingly complex music
Can you describe what you consider complex?

Not being a faggot, I just want to get an idea of your flavor of complexity.

Some people go for virtuosos on a particular instrument, for some its many styles of music mixed in harmony, and for some it's 2 deep 4 u electronic waveforms overlaid with binaural beats.
>>
File: sink.jpg (130 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
sink.jpg
130 KB, 355x355
>>60292647
I used Jim Foetus as my image to give you an example, since I figured he's well known here.

I really liked how his music stood up to repeated listening over the years, I found most of his stuff noisy and hard to enjoy initially. But with longer exposure you end up finding all sorts of odd rhythms and beats in the mix, sometimes just fleetingly, sometimes in the spaces between other rhythms or melodies, if that makes sense?

I don't think I have good taste, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm after anyway, so don't worry about being a faggot or calling me one, I'll give it all a listen.

>>60292557
I'm quite enjoying this, it's giving me serious deja-vu for something I can't quite recall, but I do keep finding myself waiting for the intro to end and the song to kick in.
>>
Try Tartar Lamb, it's one of my all time favorites. It might have this "dark and spooky" tone you want, and to me it works both as listening music and background noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK_SpmQ49C0

And since you seem to have taken a liking to dark ambient I recommend The Haxan Cloak:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPmODZZtczI
>>
File: Davis.jpg (5 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
Davis.jpg
5 KB, 194x259
>>60292788
>Tartar Lamb

I like this, it reminds me a lot of one of my father's albums I enjoyed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Q72UUMHoM
>>
File: waits-old.jpg (137 KB, 788x1029) Image search: [Google]
waits-old.jpg
137 KB, 788x1029
>>60292622
>Liquid Tension Experiment

This started out way too strong and a little cacophonous, but I'm enjoying how it's going through the first track, it feels distinctly triumphant.
>>
File: copland conducting.jpg (4 KB, 450x259) Image search: [Google]
copland conducting.jpg
4 KB, 450x259
>>60292788
>The Haxan Cloak

That melody and the string instruments REALLY remind me of some of the World of Goo soundtrack, when was that released?
>>
>>60292337
god damn you sound like a faggot.
>>
>>60293107

2011, 3 years after WoG came out. I forgot about that game, it has a really good soundtrack.

How would you recommend I get into foetus? I listened to a couple random songs, but don't know where to start.
>>
>>60292230
Try Renaissance vocal music. Its complex, and yet easy to listen to and relaxing.

composers like Palestrina, Josquin, Taverner, Fayrfax, Byrd, Ockeghem, Gesualdo, Tallis, Lassus, Obrecht, etc.
>>
File: 41X6F6DD65L.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
41X6F6DD65L.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>60293179
That's kind of you to notice, thank you.

>>60293180
Yeah, it's a shame Little Inferno was such a preachy piece of shit, I liked the mechanic.

I think he is one of those musicians who benefits from listening to the whole album as one piece, so I'd suggest you start out with one of his more recent ones such as Hide .
>>
File: David Byrne.jpg (48 KB, 550x571) Image search: [Google]
David Byrne.jpg
48 KB, 550x571
>>60293268
I've tried the first three and picked a song at random, it's pleasant enough to listen to but it's not really doing much for me.

Can you suggest anything more evocative or energetic in that vein?
>>
Try trap music
>>
>>60294857
>google trap music
>first video link has a thumbnail of Anonymous

This is promising already!
>>
>>60292337
>liked Shake it Off
>Literally the worst Taylor song

Hahahahahahahahahahahaaggagaahabaah
>>
File: 1401x788-51232801.jpg (93 KB, 1401x788) Image search: [Google]
1401x788-51232801.jpg
93 KB, 1401x788
>>60294972
I have bad taste, so I dislike all of her 'better' songs, what are you going to do about it?

>>60294857
I like some of it, but it's too lyrical for my tastes, not a big fan of RnB.
>>
>>60292627

Hey, try the Serial Experiments Lain soundtrack and especially the bootleg version
>>
File: Adam-Ant-007.jpg (27 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Adam-Ant-007.jpg
27 KB, 460x276
>>60295237
Nice enough, but pretty bland to my ears.
>>
>>60295388
Gee, I don't know what to suggest then. I can think of slightly unnerving music on the industrial fringe, but I wouldn't put most of it on myself when I was trying to concentrate. It would be too distracting.

Maybe you could check out martial industrial: :zoviet*france, Les Joyaux de la Princesse, Der Blutharsch. Maybe the work of John Zewizz. You'll no doubt find it interesting, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for
>>
just listen to souvlaki or something you pretentious faggot
>>
File: 4309682-lg.jpg (44 KB, 310x390) Image search: [Google]
4309682-lg.jpg
44 KB, 310x390
>>60295532
Zoviet France rings a bell, I think I've got a couple of songs of theirs in a misc folder somewhere, good to have a name for them.

>You'll no doubt find it interesting, but I'm not sure it's what you're looking for

Good enough for me, we've pretty much established I'm a pretentious faggot with no taste who doesn't really know what he's looking for, so it's all good.

>>60295547
Will do, thanks.
>>
File: Souvlaki-plate.jpg (631 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Souvlaki-plate.jpg
631 KB, 1600x1200
>>60295547
I think google has led me astray somewhere.

Is Souvlaki the name of the band or an artist?
>>
>>60295670
It's the name of an album by Slowdive.

I don't think you'll like it though, senpai
>>
>>60295743
It's ok, it's too bland to really object to in any way three songs in.

Is this what pretentious cunts on /mu/ pretend to listen to these days or something?
>>
>>60295848
>calling people pretentious cunts
>is a pretentious cunt

kys
>>
File: ceci-n-est-pas-une-pipe.jpg (16 KB, 417x291) Image search: [Google]
ceci-n-est-pas-une-pipe.jpg
16 KB, 417x291
>>60296035
Takes one to know one!
>>
>>60292376
Froot's a Fuckcore album. Not great, but you're never going to get a bad blowjob to it.
>>
>>60292337
if you wished you weren't so picky with music then fucking stop being it instead of bragging about it on the internet. appreciation of music is one of the things most easily controlled by your mind.
>>
>>60292230
I like ezekial honig's work for this exact situation

https://ezekiel-honig.bandcamp.com/album/folding-in-on-itself
>>
>>60296165
his pickiness has led to alot of good discovery in this thread
>>
File: DiamondGeezerWithTeeth.jpg (44 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
DiamondGeezerWithTeeth.jpg
44 KB, 360x450
>>60296165
>sometimes

I don't want to share your pleb tastes, and I will expend no effort in attempting to do so.

>>60296194
It has, thank you and everyone else who's been suggesting stuff, I've got a lot of stuff to work through now.
>>
Check out the Cardigans. Life and first band on the moon are catchy pop rock albums, but they're not vapid. Actually, they're arguably very experimental for a top 40 pop groups
>>
>>60292337
Seems like your main issue is lacking the philosophical bearings to evolve. You are a creature of habit begging the internet to validate and solve a petty personal problem.
>>
File: 1280x720-9b8.jpg (44 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-9b8.jpg
44 KB, 1280x720
>>60296853
>lacking the philosophical bearings to evolve

No, I'm ignorant as fuck, arrogant enough to request your help and naive enough to follow your suggestions, seems like a pretty good philosophical bearing for evolving my musical tastes.

How do you do it?

>>60296830
>they're arguably very experimental for a top 40 pop group

Sounds interesting, I've always dismissed the charts as publisher driven bollocks designed to market to teens, but once in a while you get something on there that just seems to have caught everyone's ear for some reason.

Pic related, I found myself really enjoying a couple of his albums after he flashed in the pan.

Liking First Band quite nicely so far, it's got some interesting sounds in the background.
>>
>>60296971
They also take unusual influence. There's a few licks that could be metal with more distortion. They also do a cover of iron man (which is better than the original)
>>
>>60298302
Listened to both those albums suggested, it was very enjoyable, and when 'Love Me' came on my sense of deja-vu evaporated!

I'll definitely be adding a few of these to my collection.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.