[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Miley Cyrus spends $50k of her own money and tells her label
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7
File: dead petz.jpg (177 KB, 1035x1035) Image search: [Google]
dead petz.jpg
177 KB, 1035x1035
>Miley Cyrus spends $50k of her own money and tells her label to go fuck themselves so she can make a genuinely challenging and thoughtful art-pop album and everyone trashes it because WHY THEY PUT THE DICK IN THE PUSSY? DURR MILEY CYRUS IS TRASH

>Grimes bluffs her way to 4AD with pure hackery and shits out 50 minutes of poptimist trash and everyone goes out of their way to kiss her ass

fml, image truly is everything
>>
all the talk over the new grimes is pretty divisive tho
>>
You could just ignore the image horseshit. That works too.
>>
>>60284751
That album is almost as bad as Art Angels
>>
>>60284751
>Miley Cyrus spends $50k of her own money
Fucking pocket change to her.

>genuinely challenging and thoughtful art-pop album
lol that album was just another attention whoring gimmick "OMG did you hear how wacky Miley''s new album is? She's totally gone crazy lol she's so awesome"
But it didn't work, it wasn't good, it wasn't interesting, no one cared.
>>
Grimes had no men involved in making Art Angels though! NO MEN AT ALL
>>
except that album is pure counterculture "DUDE DRUGS LMAO" image and grimes album at least has substance even though its executed in an underwhelming way.
>>
>>60284864
wow truly amazing
>>
>>60284864
that's why it's shite
>>
more like fart-pop
>>
>>60284978
lmao
>>
>>60284857
>it wasn't good, it wasn't interesting, no one cared.

on the contrary, basing pop songs around samples of the flaming lips' darkest and most nihilstic music was a pretty damning statement about the existential fear that's been driving the course of pop music for the last decade or so. meanwhile, she also draws a stylistic bridge between the work of britney spears and cocteau twins on tracks like bbtalk, or kesha and the eurythmics on the milky milk milk, all while cyrus laments that in a pop culture increasingly driven to placating the youth, there is nothing for youth to rebel against except for the very idea of not giving a fuck. a laudable idea to present to the yolo generation that cloaks its fear of a decaying world in irony. it was interesting and if it was interested in people "caring" it would have pandered to them like grimes did instead of confronting people with its warped, overwhelming, melancholy and oddly biological take on pop.

>>60284874
the whole point of Do It is that drugs aren't counter-cultural at all anymore. you can't smoke pot and profess to love peace and act like you're making some grand statement, that's taking the easy way out.
>>
That album cover gives me a raging boner.
>>
theyre both shit op
>>
>>60284751
I liked this album when it first came out and still do, it's not perfect but it's interesting. Within ten years I guarantee everyone will have changed their view of Miley and will be able to look back on this album in a different light.
>>
>relevant peter griffin gif.gif
>>
100% agreed OP.
>>
>>60284978
kek
>>
>>60284978
Fucking destroyed desu
>>
>>60285117
lol
>>
If I saw Miley in real life I'd beat the shit out her
>>
>tfw i had a dream that i didn't give a fuck, but i give a fuck
>>
>>60285538
why
she seems to be a nice, down-to-earth girl
why not beat the shit out of someone who actually deserves it, like, y'know, meaghan trainor or taylor swift?
>>
>>60284978
Damn!
>>
>>60285580
>down-to-earth
He whole life is an act.
>>
wayne coyne is responsible for the artistic direction on this album
>>
>>60285580
>she seems to be a nice, down-to-earth girl
>obnoxious
>narcissist
>drug addict
>looks stupid
>makes bad music
>promotes drug culture
>racist
>gimmicky
>disney child star
>wayne "racist scumbag" coyne's fuck buddy
She deserves to die.
>>
>>60285660
nah
have you ever watched an interview with her?
she might have some issues and is going through a "look at me i'm a whore!!" phase but she isn't a bad person, really
>>
>>60285117
oh my god
>>
>>60284751
Dude, I don't know if you're baiting or not, but just admit it.
It's shit
She's just trying to be deep and edgy because LOLOLOL WEED AND SEX IS SOOOO COOL!!!¡¡!!11!! XDDD
>>
>>60285716
It's like you listened to the first song on the album and then stopped
>>
>>60285421
the only thing funny about my post is that it's literally the most surface-level interpretation of the album yet somehow it went over the heads of every professional critic who reviewed the album. sampling is a pretty important signifier of the greater cultural context behind modern popular music and miley building an album about trying (and somewhat failing) to discover yourself via sex and earthly pleasures around samples from the terror, 7 skies h3 and heady fwends is pretty rad

>>60285674
maybe a year ago when it was going to be a straight-up 7-track collaboration EP, but the final product was 100% what miley wanted it to be. i'm pretty sure that if wayne had his way, the album would have been more pink floyd-inspired like he said it would be when they announced it (see: the original live performance of tiger dreams)

>>60285703
miley's whole stage persona is presented in giant sarcasm quotes and is designed explicitly to trigger people like you
>>
>>60285808
this is like CLT and Ke$ha all over again
>>
>>60285703
I agreed with everything you wrote until
>wayne "racist scumbag" coyne

back to tumblr with you
>>
>>60285849
CLT was not wrong about Ke$ha, and I look forward to her lawsuit eventually ending so that she, too, can make an album with based wayne
>>
>>60285808
>the only thing funny about my post
the only thing funny about your post is every word in every sentence in the context of that post

the miley cyrus project is what happens when a party musician tries to go artsy. Shit does not work. It may have all these underlying themes and motifs underneath it, but it doesnt change the fact that THE MUSIC IS GARBAGE
>>
File: wood1446964167964.jpg (19 KB, 387x468) Image search: [Google]
wood1446964167964.jpg
19 KB, 387x468
>>60284978
#rekd
>>
>>60285117
thank you senpai
>>
>>60286139
>but it doesnt change the fact that THE MUSIC IS GARBAGE
if you say it in all caps, it must be a fact!! or maybe you're wrong because the music is, in fact NOT GARBAGE. some of it is ugly, in the same way that Transmissions from the Satellite Heart is an "ugly" take on alternative rock songwriting and production. A lot of it is surprisingly lush and sweet (like bbtalk, which as i said before ebbs and flows from the spearsian verses to lush dreampop choruses, or lighter which is actually a really reserved take on the synthpop revival), to the offputting creepiness of bang my box's funk, which fits the songs theme of blurred consent. there's a lot of neat musical stuff happening on dead petz
>>
File: mf-doom.jpg (130 KB, 650x430) Image search: [Google]
mf-doom.jpg
130 KB, 650x430
>>60286139
This guy must be right. He is using all caps after all.
>>
>>60285808
I have mixed feelings on the album. I pick up on some of what you are saying here and I appreciate hearing it coming from someone who has actually listened to the flaming lips. I think "do it' definitely is an attempt to subvert the idea of what it means to rebel. Probably most misunderstood album of the year. But I also think some of the criticism of this album is valid First Im not sure if miley intended it to be a sarcastic album or not. Some would argue that it dosnt matter but i think it does if we are going to call her an artist in the true sense and not a puppet appendage of wayne. Second sometimes this sarcasm works against itself. For example if she is using sincerity as a form of rebellion why does she undermine the most sincere songs on the album pablow the blowfish and twinkle song? She leaves each of these songs by saying "hahha damn" or "hahah fuck" like the song is a joke. Is this a meta interpretation of an ironic charceter she is portrarying?
>>
>>60286395
worst new trip
>>
I've listened to mere snippets of this album and my life is very noticeably losing purpose because of it.
>>
>>60286753
Your life was bound to lose purpose anyway
>>
>>60286722
Hasn't this trip actually been around for a while? Is it possible that your actually the worst new anon?
>>
>>60286692
>Is this a meta interpretation of an ironic charceter she is portrarying?
Honestly yes it is
>>
>>60286722
agreed desu senpai
>>
>have everyone anonymized
>people start talking about trips

feels good to ignore trash
>>
File: FINISH HIM.png (149 KB, 473x229) Image search: [Google]
FINISH HIM.png
149 KB, 473x229
>>60286771
>>
>>60284751
the amount of money she spent has nothing to do with the quality of the music, plus i'm sure 50k is pocket change to miley. what really happened is she let her ego fool her into thinking that she's actually a real musician
>>
>>60286753
Sometimes good art can make you feel useless. Its debatable if this album is good art but the point remains. Also if you really want to indulge in futility of it all try this dank shit:

http://samuel-beckett.net/Waiting_for_Godot_Part1.html
>>
>>60286771
Don't worry, 4chan will fix things.
>>
>>60286872
Can you explain to me what makes one a real musician and one a fake one? Miley is a professionaly trained singer, she can play some guitar, and I wouldn't doubt she play a little piano as well, sounds like a real musician to me.
>>
>>60285117
woat tripfag holy fuck

look at this thinkpiece on a miley cyrus album
>>
>>60286692
She thought she didn't give a fuck, but she gives a fuck. Pablow and Twinkle Song are silly and also entirely sincere, the secret sauce of the tone of 99% of the flaming lips' output (which this album is a giant love letter to). I also think that there's an element of her surprising herself to it, it's out of her comfort zone and staggeringly personal for someone used to the conceit of hiding behind the concept of a hannah montana-type character.

>>60286872
at least Miley has had, in addition to her decade of experience as a professionally trained vocalist, far more than one year's worth of experience playing the guitar
>>
>>60286965
being able to play instruments doesn't constitute a musician. a musician is able to compose music, which is something that miley has always had done for her.
>>
>>60286809
Ok. I am skeptical of this interpretation. I want to approach this album in a level headed way and not apply meaning or depth where it dosnt exist. But I also don't want to ingnore what could be a higher level to the album. Its just hard to tell if that's really her approach or not. Maybe these blurred lines between her sincerity and tortured faux rebel is the art. Its uncomfortable art, and maybe art sort of in the way the Room by tommy wisseau is art.
>>
>>60287032
it's just too early to really tell where she's coming from, maybe in a year or so these things will be more apparent, after it's the music's had a bit more time to sit.
>>
>>60287025
SHES NO LE TRUE MUSICIAN THAT'S FOR SURE
>>
File: scotsmanhqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
scotsmanhqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>60287025
>>
>>60287025
A musician (or instrumentalist) is a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Straight from wikipedia. I think you're looking for the term 'song writer' or 'composer', by all means is Miley a musician,
>>
>>60287002
>I also think that there's an element of her surprising herself to it, it's out of her comfort zone and staggeringly personal for someone used to the conceit of hiding behind the concept of a hannah montana-type character.
So is this what might be the feeling she trys to communicate by pretending the song is a joke? thereby showing her insecure self in the process? Whether it was intended or not this is kinda how it felt.
>>
>>60287147
ok stop worrying about the technicalities maybe i should have said composer or songwriter rather than musician. the point is that she may know how to sing and play guitar, but her songs have been written for her throughout her entire career in order to ensure maximum catchiness.
>>
>>60287293
Not on this album, every song is either written exclusively by her or with the The Flaming Lips
>>
>>60287147
she did write these songs, i imagine she wrote the piano piece for pablow and twinkle, but if she didnt i dont really care. Its pop music kids david bowie, kanye, the beatles, they had composers, writers, teams of people helping their shit. Judge the album quit idolizing the "composer hero" almost as bad as the "guitar hero"
>>
>>60287322
I'm on Miley's side here, don't reply to me defending her. I'm with you.
>>
>>60287322
>>60287320
that last part of my comment is really meant for you. Also Miley wrote almost every fucking song or at least asisted in writeing every song. just look a fucking wikipedia before you spout some shit.
>>
>>60287355
>>60287376
I know i was kinda speaking to like everyone in the thread rather than you, but after reading it idk im tired, sorry senpai im on your team pretty much.
>>
because shes no hippie then she bathes in glitter and cum while high and sings about it ;)
>>
>>60287320
>Not on this album
THAT'S MY POINT. lol just listen to it man it's fucking awful! it's very clear that this was her first attempt at writing her own music, and it was a trainwreck
>>
>>60284751
Jesus christ i hate this album so much, she has to be one of the worst human beings alive right now
>>
>>60287638
I've listened to this album like 7 times since it came out, which isn't that much, but I liked ot everytime. Maybe you should try listening to it again?
>>
>>60285117
do you write for pitchfork?
>>
>>60287696
i'll give it another chance for you anon. I'll try my best to go in unbiased
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 540x540
>>60284978
>>
>>60284751
>image truly is everything
What do you care, you think Miley Cyrus is worth fucking shit because one day she decided to reinvent herself as some sexually liberated 'artist'. It's all the same commercial bullshit for fuck's sake you fucking philistine.
>>
>>60287001
2015 is the year of the Very Important Album, perhaps Miley deserves her thinkpiece

>>60287271
Ridley Scott once described Alien as simply "a haunted house movie in space," implying any subtextual qualities in his movie featuring a giant space penis monster were coincidence. Similarly, Wayne Coyne describes In a Priest-Driven Ambulance as not being a record about religion, when nearly every song on the album is clearly about religion and/or its role in society. A lot of the time when art happens, the artist themselves don't even really understand the way the subconscious and emotions are channeled through it. Miley was 22 when she started working on Dead Petz, three years younger than Wayne when he made the first Lips album (which was a punk album that traded in shock value) and, comparatively, about the age Ween made Pure Guava. I think Miley is allowed to not know how to feel about her exploration as an artist, it is both nerve-wracking and sad and someone as savvy with social media as a young millennial woman will undoubtedly be nervous about baring herself. Just as Ween's audacious filth amplified the feeling of small-town boredom they were attempting to escape from, and just as Wayne turned punk aesthetic into a sincere tribute to psychedelic rock, Miley's album wields embarrassment of sincerity as a strength- it would not make her so nervous if it wasn't the truth.

>>60287713
if i did, I would have been fired after sharing some choice words with meagan garvey
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.