[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Albums that i think are overrated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: bojan-2.jpg (44 KB, 638x623) Image search: [Google]
bojan-2.jpg
44 KB, 638x623
No need to call me a pleb, i want to have an actual discussion and also you can post your albums that you think are overrated, i will give them all ratings that i think they deserve, also 5/10 means decent and 6/10 means good and 7/10 is awesome:
1. Weezer - Pinkerton 5/10
2. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
3. Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me 6/10
4. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [IV] 6/10
5. The Doors - The Doors 6/10
6. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible 6/10
7. Pink Floyd - Animals 6/10
8. The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
9. The Who - Who's Next 6/10

your thoughts
>>
>>60280841
bump
>>
>>60280841
you didn't r8 illinois and tvun
>>
>>60280906
oh sorry didnt see that
tvun 6/10
illinois 5/10
>>
>>60280841

>2. Sufjan Stevens - Illinois 6/10

>4. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [IV] 8/10
>5. The Doors - The Doors 8/10

>7. Pink Floyd - Animals 9/10
>>
>>60280841
Pinkerton is a notable album for it's solid bass and vocal harmonies, it's solid pop songwriting, and it's flirtations with noise rock.

Illinoise is kind of a hit or miss, but you can't deny it's feelsy spin on the standard Arcade Fire Indie Folk album.

Brand New is kind of shit.

It's hard for me to listen to Led Zeppelin 4 objectively without thinking of 12 year old youtube commenters, so I can't defend it very well.

The Doors had a really bold sound that was new in rock music when it came out.

Haven't heard the Holy Bible.

That's an accurate rating for Animals.

The Velvet Underground and Nico introduced the subdued "alternative" sound into rock, featured experimental techniques now taken for granted, and had beautiful compositions like All Tomorrow's Parties.

That's an accurate rating for Who's Next.
>>
File: somethingelsebythekinks.jpg (259 KB, 1073x1080) Image search: [Google]
somethingelsebythekinks.jpg
259 KB, 1073x1080
>>
>>60280958
The Kinks in general are enormously overrated, at least by RYM
>>
>>60280953
2. I only really liked Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland, Illinois and John Wayne Gacy Jr. but nothing else didnt really stand out to me
4. i mean the album was good but it wasnt awesome
5.whyskey bar is a 10/10 for me but anything else was preety ordinary(good) but it was nothing special
7. Compare it to Dark side of moon or Wall, it dosent stand out, its good but not awesome
>>60280957
1. Pinkerton was to distorted for me, i mean i like distorted albums like spiderland but pinkerton was just to much and especially with that fast pace but Tired of having sex is pretty great t b h
2. I dont really like arcade fire
3. wouldnt call them shit but definitely overrated
4. OK
5. Maybe it was great then but now it dosent stand the test of time but it is definitely good
6. Its good check it out, most of people found it really disturbing but to me it wasnt really that disturbing as much as just political commentary( which i mostly dont agree with) but still it sound cool
6. Im glad you agree
7.I mean if the whole album was like Sunday morning it would be a 9/10 t b h but i can still see that its a good album
8. True, i mean it has some of the best rock song i have ever heard on it but the other ones are pretty mediocre or barely good
>>60280958
agree, a 6/10 t b h
>>
>>60280841
bump
>>
>>60280841
agree on everything except that the doors is 10/10, animals is 8/10
and sufhack should be like 3/10
>>
>>60280841
>Weezer - Pinkerton 5/10
>Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [IV] 6/10
>The Doors - The Doors 6/10
>Pink Floyd - Animals 6/10
I would have to disagree with you on these ones and accept that you have different taste in music than me
>>
>all these people okay with tvu&n being shit on
>>
>>60281425
well thank, after all everybody is entitled to their opinion
>>
>>60281491
its not shit on, i said that its good, very close to 7(awesome), but we can all see that is not as good as it could be
>>
>>60281309
>if the whole album was like Sunday morning it would be a 9/10
jesus what a fucking plebian
>>
>>60281522
You rated it as a 6, which translates to decent. Decent is an understatement for that album
>>
>>60281651
5 is decent for me, 6 is good
>>60281606
it dosent need to be the SAME, just on that level of quality musically
>>
>>60281776
You mean poppy and easy? I've never heard someone seriously critique banana as needing more Sunday Morning and less Heroin
>>
>>60281952
Not the guy you're responding to, but I wouldn't list Heroin as the strongest track.

All Tomorrow's Parties, Venus in Furs, Black Angel's Death Song, and European Son are all more interesting musically.
>>
>>60281776
>it dosent need to be the SAME, just on that level of quality musically
that's not the point you pleb
>>
>>60282268
Not the guy you're responding to but I'm not having Heroin not being in the top 5 in the album considering it's one of the greatest songs ever.
>>
>>60280841
How did you choose literally the only Doors album that isn't overrated?
>>
>>60282332
Just because there's four songs better than it doesn't mean it can't be in the top 5.

And there's nothing about it that makes one of THE best songs of all time.
>>
>>60280841
ANIMAL COLLECTIVEEEEE (MEH)
>>
Nirvana - Nevermind
3/10

I honestly believe this, not memeing
Please give me 1 redeeming quality about this record
>>
>>60282478
Probably the worst of the main 3 nirvana albums but it's still pretty solid by it's own merits.

*Soulful, rough, "yarling", lead singer.

*Downtempo, noisy, take on alt rock.

*Solid pop hooks and relatable lyrics. "I'm ugly but it's ok cause you are too."
>>
>>60280841
Grimes- Visions 3/10

Burial- Untrue 5/10
>>
>>60282554
Its definitely the worst, but not in the sense that it's the most popular. I mean, one of the 'best' songs off the album, lithium, has a chorus that is literally the word YEAH 20+ times.
Other shining examples:
"God is gay"
"I ___ you im not gonna crack" x 20
"we can plant a house, we can build a tree"

have more examples but I already think I have enough evidence for it to be irredeemable. This is by far the most overrated album, and the lyrics and hooks are significantly weaker and lack the depth of the modern pop scene. (which is sad as fuck)
>>
>>60282884
Lyrics don't have to be complex or the focus of the music. Kurt Cobain was a fairly literate music and art fan, I'd bet a good deal of money he was doing that for artistic effect, channeling the mood of the times by keeping it simple and stupid.
>>
>>60282953
No, you don't get to write simple trashy lyrics ironically and be considered a musical genius.
He wrote garbage lyrics because he's a garbage writer.
>>
>>60283086
>No, you don't get to write simple trashy lyrics ironically and be considered a musical genius.

It's not ironic or trashy, it's the same unpretentious basis for songwriting that journalism, Bukowski, blues, punk, etc, etc, etc use to convey base emotion. I'm sorry it's not like your favorite rock opera.
>>
>>60281952
>>60282332
Heroin is literally a two-chord vamp for 6 minutes, with some edgy lyrics and viola noise to make it seem cool and interesting.

Unless you're the kind of person that thinks Swans and GY!BE make genuinely great, innovative music, Heroin is a pretty unimpressive song.
>>
>>60283144
Just conversing about music dude, I'm not insulting you personally. I get that some people are into angsty simplistic music. But just know that there are 100's of bands that conveyed that same 'in your face' attitude with genuinely good lyrics and songwriting. The Gun Club comes to mind. I honestly cannot believe someone would put Nirvana on that same level.
>>
>>60283429
Not sure where you got the impression I was insulted.

Agreed, Nirvana aren't on the same level as the Gun Club, and correct, they aren't alone in being simple. I don't see how this means they didn't have relatable lyrics, as well as all my other points here. >>60282554
>>
>>60280841
>9 albums
>not listing it a 10
>>
>>60282478
because it sounds good
>>
>>60283466
>>60282554

>*Soulful, rough, "yarling", lead singer.
Not really a positive or negative, just an observation. Its like saying a band has either a great singer or a unique singer, you can't spin it as a positive either way.

>*Downtempo, noisy, take on alt rock.

The whole slow-verse-exploding-chorus formula gets stale very quick. Not particularly noisy either considering this is after the whole hardcore punk/noise rock scene started. Just look at their contemporaries - Melvins, Jesus Lizard, MBV etc.
All had a more interesting approach at adding noise elements imo.

>*Solid pop hooks and relatable lyrics. "I'm ugly but it's ok cause you are too."
This is true, I guess. If that's what you're looking for in music, then I could see merit to this album.
>>
>>60283669
>If that's what you're looking for in music
What else would you be looking for in popular music
>>
>>60283669
>Not really a positive or negative, just an observation.
But the singing adds it's own level of emotion, I doubt you could tell me with a straight face that the album would have been improved with someone else. Every line is enhanced by the hysterics Cobain goes into.
>>
>>60283669
>Not particularly noisy either considering this is after the whole hardcore punk/noise rock scene started.

And Melvins, Jesus Lizard, and MBV aren't very noisy compared to Peter Brotzmann, Half Japanese, Royal Trux, or Big Black. You can use a technique in your music for artistic effect even it's been done before you know.

Again, I recognize it's not the best album in the world, those bands you listed have better things, but it's by no means terrible.
>>
>>60283868
Most of those bands are noisier than Big Black
>>
>>60283944
Mmm... perhaps, Atomizer goes toe to toe with the noisiest Melvins and Jesus Lizard, and is pretty far ahead of MBV.
>>
>>60283756
Of course no singer I throw out will make you think, because you've already experienced it a certain way. It'd be like saying you couldn't think of an actor to better portray Jules in Pulp Fiction than Samuel L Jackson. Well, obviously it's impossible to imagine because your experience with the medium already has that piece ingrained into it. Fuck, maybe if Samuel L Jackson sang in Nirvana it would deliver more emotion than Kurt. You'll never know and you could never imagine.
>>
>>60283986
You get what I mean, the singing style is well suited for the music and enhances it. I also doubt Samuel L Jackson could give a convincing yarl or make himself look vulnerable and adolescent to save his life, nor could Cobain appear as cold and inscrutable as Jackson.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.