[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there there gonna be any more groundbreaking music scenes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 14
File: hank.jpg (170 KB, 550x360) Image search: [Google]
hank.jpg
170 KB, 550x360
We had some psych and blues happening in the 60s, punk rock in the 70s-80s and grunge, emo, shoegaze and a nice hip hop wave in the 90s...and now...we have the "metalcore" scene. personally, i think theres not much there.

now im wondering if music will take another rapid evolution in the near future.

pls dont get me wrong though, there's a lot of good music coming out these days.
>>
Dubstep in the early 00s
>>
>live music
>after 2010
no mate
>>
trap my nigga
>>
>>60280767
I'm guessing the next big thing will be some form of punk, noise rock or metal.
>>
grime
>>
>>60280779
Dubstep was the 2010s dude and it's not even real music
>>
>>60280816
yeah, this

it's pretty much taken over now
>>
>>60280888
Tru pleb here. Doesn't even know origin of dub. How do you expect to transcend with that lack of musical knowledge?
>>
It was and still is vaporwave
>>
>>60280951
enlighten me then sensai
>>
>>60280779
dubstep wasnt a groundbreaking scene, are you kidding? im talking about music, not manipulated notes and beats from a computer
>>
>>60280888
>>60280976
>neo-/mu/
>>
I think part of the reason we haven't had one is more the fact that people keep looking for a new scene and are obsessing over when the next scene would be as opposed to back in the 90's where people weren't actively looking for these.
>>
If people try at it then it won't happen.

It has to happen on its own.
That's why it hasn't fucking happened yet.
>>
>>60280976
Well, If you count people as computers, you literally just described all music.
>>
>>60281026
i mean, there are scenes. the fucking fangirl metal/poppunk scene is pretty popular, and nobody's really looking for a new scene. all we have are these "revivals" of blues, garage rock, post punk, psych rock etc, which are actually prettty good... what about another amazing genre though?
>>
>>60280888
>>60280972
>>60280976
Dubstep /ˈdʌbstɛp/ is a genre of electronic dance music that originated in South London, England. It emerged in the late 1990s as a development within a lineage of related styles such as 2-step garage, broken beat, drum and bass, jungle, dub and reggae.[2] In the UK the origins of the genre can be traced back to the growth of the Jamaican sound system party scene in the early 1980s.[2][3] The music generally features syncopated drum and percussion patterns with bass lines that contain prominent sub bass frequencies.

The earliest dubstep releases date back to 1998, and were usually featured as B-sides of 2-step garage single releases. These tracks were darker, more experimental remixes with less emphasis on vocals, and attempted to incorporate elements of breakbeat and drum and bass into 2-step. In 2001, this and other strains of dark garage music began to be showcased and promoted at London's night club Plastic People, at the "Forward" night (sometimes stylised as FWD>>), which went on to be considerably influential to the development of dubstep. The term "dubstep" in reference to a genre of music began to be used by around 2002 by labels such as Big Apple, Ammunition, and Tempa, by which time stylistic trends used in creating these remixes started to become more noticeable and distinct from 2-step and grime.[4]

Fucking morons
>>
>>60281092
baka...people arent computers. lol thats why iRobot will never happen xD
>>
File: emo_kid.jpg (8 KB, 232x242) Image search: [Google]
emo_kid.jpg
8 KB, 232x242
No, the last music scene was emo, then music died, now we are only allowed to listen to really shitty top 40 pop music and rap
>>
there wont be any new scene because everyone is at home on their computers/phones instead of going out and creating a scene. Vaporwave is proof of this.
>>
>>60281102
still not music. it's just random noises on made on an iphone.
>>
Metalheads always fucking lose me with their cliques, scenes and subgenres. I don't even know what to think about it.
>>
>>60281079
This

The last big thing I can remember is djent.
>>
File: 1377885078925.png (54 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1377885078925.png
54 KB, 625x626
>>60281130
>>
File: 268506384.jpg (41 KB, 597x650) Image search: [Google]
268506384.jpg
41 KB, 597x650
Also in another thread me and some other guy hypothesized that maybe the next big thing will be some sort of mix of electronic music and metal.
Right now rock music is very soft and very gay, shit like mumford and sons and imagine dragons, guys who make coldplay look manly.
Also on the underground scene it nothing but faggy hipsters playing shoegaze.
Also rap is increasingly irrelevant in a EDM world

The world needs some sort of hard rock right now i feel,

So what im thinking is that maybe metal and edm will fuse somehow and create something really gay and popular.
And they will have their own hair styles and fashion, combining metal and raver fashions
>>
Everything's a revival nowadays. Only innovative genre left is Trap.
>>
>>60281261
>what was industrial metal?
>>
>>60281278
rammstein

"du.....du hast....du hast mein....."
>>
Honestly, we won't know until about 5 years after they've started.
That's when things will start to get disseminated out to the rest of the world
Cf. grunge happening in mid-80s Seattle, Stoner metal happening in late-80s rural California, neo-garage in late-90s Detroit and NYC and so on.
>>
>>60280878
>This post

The reason these iconic music scenes were iconic is because they were a burst of new ideas.
>>
>>60281157
Go back to bed, grandma.
>>
>>60281410
>Punk
>Noise rock
>New ideas

seriously man?
>>
>>60281410
oh god youre one of those faggots who thinks everything is new.
God the fucking beatles were just rip offs of buddy holly, little Richard, and roy orbison

the sex pistols were basically just chuck berry excpet if he were retarded

>muh burst of new ideas

fuck, someone is alwasy influenced by someone you god damn retard, fuck i want to fucking killl you UIPUJPISHIOPEHIOAIOHRHRGAGJGKSKHKJAHN

OH ELECTRONIC MUSIC AND HIP HOP IS SO FRESH AND NEW THE WAY THEY SAMPLE OLDER SONGS
>>
>>60281446

all good genres derived from punk
>>
Biggest recent developments this century have been in electronic music. Garage, grime, dubstep, juke/footwork, as well as various hybrids/genre fusions that don't really have defined names.

Guitar music for the most part has been a lot of revivals of older styles.

My guess is we'll see some kind of fusion genre in the future, but because of the internet, full fledged scenes evolving from localized musical cultures are probably a thing of the past.
>>
>>60281479
ye ye didn't derive from punk family
>>
>>60281169
Ever see the movie Life of Brian where they were describing the various anti-Roman revolutionary groups around and they finally get to one that was just one single guy alone? That's what all of the genres and subgenres of pop and metal remind me of. Every subgenre is literally just one band, or sometimes just one single album release of a band.
It also explains how bands can break up over "musical differences" when the members all end up playing EXACTLY THE SAME MUSIC after the breakup as they did before.
>SPLITTERS!!!
>>
>>60281479
I would have agreed with you if you said all good modern music derived from punk.
>>
Nigger music took over since like 2005.
>>
>>60281600
>2005
Dial that number back about 8 years and you'll be more accurate.
>>
>>60281600

Nope, you just need to find good bands.
>>
>>60281656
Nigger music didn't take over everything else until the early 2000s.
>>
>>60281686
Nigger music is literally the most popular music and has been since like 2005. Everyone loves it just like everyone loved blues and psych in the 60s. It's what you think of when someone says music.
>>
>>60281656
Dial that to since the 1800s desu.
>>
File: rapedm.png (33 KB, 891x539) Image search: [Google]
rapedm.png
33 KB, 891x539
>>60281719
Nigger music hasnt been relevant on the top 40 in years, Electronic music is the new hotness.

Rap is actually dying despite it still being shoved in your face 24/7
>>
>>60281763
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100
>>
>>60281763
Edm is filled with nigger rap and nigger trap. It's still nigger music.

Also search frequency in Google isn't a good indicator. Go look at the top 40 and I guarantee like 50% AT LEAST is nig rap.
>>
File: rap.png (88 KB, 2146x1170) Image search: [Google]
rap.png
88 KB, 2146x1170
>>60281763
YOU DUMB SHIT either you're stupid or being dishonest. People don't look for those terms, they look for rap and edm. And guess what? rap is doing well
>>
>>60280767
>psych and blues happening in the 60s, punk rock in the 70s-80s and grunge, emo, shoegaze and a nice hip hop wave in the 90s
>groundbreaking

You pop fans are just so darn cute.
>>
i don't think it's possible for local scenes to exist anymore in this internet age where everyone is connected regardless of their location. for example, i think it's inconceivable for a band with a pure "New York" sound and aesthetic like Televesion to exist nowadays. there's no such thing as a "New York sound" anymore, or London, or San Francisco sound, for that matter. in other words, it's almost as though internet were killing the notion of culture in music.
>>
>>60281898
I came here to post this.

Scenes are dead, everything is disseminated now.
>>
I predict the next big wave will be something between folk, punk, and electronic (idk what genre of electronic)

I guess we can kinda argue that Indie music is the current wave somewhat, but it isnt really comparable to the grunge movement for ex.
>>
>>60281898
This

and this
>>60280962

You all retards are sitting exactly in the middle of the cyber-wave underground, go photohop a greek statue with an old computer and pitch down your mom's old 80s records
>>
>>60281898
if you think this you
1. do not go to local shows
2. do not play music
3. have never toured in a band
4. are an idiot
>>
>>60281898
I disagree. Regional sounds still exist.
>>
extremely dirty and naked techno
>>
File: k0ydr9nsyy0oaqvp7gkg.png (98 KB, 300x381) Image search: [Google]
k0ydr9nsyy0oaqvp7gkg.png
98 KB, 300x381
>>60281102
aren't you a special snowflake...here's your prize for pasting a defintion
>>
>>60281157
>/r/lewronggeneration
>>
Everything has been globalized since the early 80 allowing all genres to cross pollinate. The next new trend will have to be either based on some new crazy technology or we need a major catalyzing event
>>
as much as i don't like it it's probably vaporwave for the reason >>60281898 and >>60281935 said
>it's almost as though internet were killing the notion of culture in music
>Scenes are dead, everything is disseminated now
vaporwave tackles that pretty much head on
although i'd like to see noise get more popular desu
>>
>>60281898
>scenes don't exist anymore
And yet they do.
Even today, bands still run on money. And the people who pay that money to support their favorite bands get what they want to hear. Get enough of them together in one place, and they will start and sustain a scene.
>>
>>60281261

>Right now rock music is very soft and very gay, shit like mumford and sons and imagine dragons, guys who make coldplay look manly.

THIS
>>
>>60281261
"the underground scene is nothing but faggy hipsters playing shoegaze"

there are some local bands like this in my area. maybe THATS whats next...faggy hipster shoegaze metal. lets call it SHOECORE
>>
>>60282794
this
>>
>>60280888
what's your youtube channel name? i want to read more of your epic comments
>>
>>60282794
well, what i'm trying to say is that there aren't any more unique local scenes. sure every city in america has its own local scene. the problem is that they are all the same. you take my local scene for example, the Omaha local scene. it's literally a bunch of bands trying to emulate the bands they read about on p4k. you look at the most popular Omaha band at the moment: Icky Blossoms. there's nothing really "Omaha" about them. if someone told me they were from New Zealand when i didn't know who they were, i'd believe them. im sure your local scene is no different.
>>
>>60283225
maybe you should pay attention to your local scene outside of indie rock/parties that bands are playing
>>
File: tomas-kalnoky-1.jpg (18 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
tomas-kalnoky-1.jpg
18 KB, 300x300
Wait for the Ska-Revival music scene
>>
>>60283256
but isn't that the very definition of a "local scene"? isn't that how revolutionary bands come about? by playing shitty house parties/shows and dingy local venues?
>>
>>60283388
there is music besides indie rock, and there are shows that aren't parties.
>>
>>60283434
i'm just using indie rock as an example because that's the biggest thing in my city. my point is most bands and artists, regardless of their genre, nowadays seem to have a sort of geographic homogeneity in their sound. that's not to say, however, that artists lack originality. there just seems to be less tribalism, for lack of a better word, in bands nowadays.
>>
I'm sitting on some groundbreaking shit right now. It's gonna blow everything else out of the water. Just wait a few months for me to get it all put together ;)
>>
>>60283279
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUx1i38Rco8
>>
>>60280767
i live in atlanta and we have a surprisingly big grindcore/powerviolence/hardcore scene. tons of bands, multiple shows a week
>>
>>60283862
You have no idea how badly I want to be a part of that.
>>
>>60284346
where do you live
>>
>>60280976
fuck off dude any idiot can master the guitar in a couple months, learning software takes way more patience and effort. Its such a more esoteric skill too
>>
>>60284509
Upper Michigan. Rural as hell, the music scene is abysmal.
>>
>>60285773
go to shows at Temple House or Take Hold Church. killer bands come thru there all the time
>>
>>60280767
I'm hoping for industrial rap to be the next big thing. I'm not a huge fan of dg, but I think it'd be nice to have that sort of facade-breaking attitude to permeate the current culture of persona, especially since all this modern rap is so focused on image and following some sort of status quo.

Also, I think you're picking cherries that are really close to one another. Can't forget jazz.
>>
>>60281898
Canada has small vibrant new "punk" scene. And there is definetly a sound brewing here.
>>
>>60283665
I acknowledge your existence
>>
>>60281489
This
>>
>>60282794
This is very true. There's a music scene in SoCal. Pretty lame but there's a scene down here
>>
The next big thing will be a dark power pop band with edgy lyrics with a lot of noise mixed in
>>
>>60283862
Huh, where in ATL?
>>
File: HDB059.png (13 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
HDB059.png
13 KB, 440x440
>>60280888
>>60280976
>>60281157
itt: people who don't know the difference between dubstep and brostep

kek
>>
>>60288861
industrial rap is cool but your a fag for not being a huge fan of dg, their music should have been a new turning point for commercial hip hop to become an actually interesting genre instead of the shit it is today.
>>
>>60280767
>now we have metalcore
What year are you posting from? 2004?
>>
>>60289694
kek
>>
It's probably gonna be a genre of rap or something with Yeezus and Death Grips type beats.
>>
>>60282782
>Discrediting an entire vast genre based on notions gained from one album
I bet you post on /metal/
>>
>>60283279
>mfw my city has a ska scene
>>
>>60285773
There's the emo revival scene in the midwest
>>
>>60290624
get off this board
>>
>>60292451
I'm not saying that's what I want, but lots of acts are being influenced by them.
>>
>>60292490
if you literally think that is true then you musnt know much about modern music
>>
Brutal Prog
>>
File: enhanced-31525-1409580511-9.jpg (97 KB, 625x625) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-31525-1409580511-9.jpg
97 KB, 625x625
>>60280767
>>
>>60283279
ska is really big with mexicans here in LA
>>
>>60280767
What's your problem with metalcore?
>>
>>60283665

Me too fann let's collab someday in our brains.
>>
>>60281262
>trap
>innovative
>literally just doing what dj screw did like 10 years ago
>>
>>60293711
OP has probably never heard good metalcore and is basing their opinion on the scene shit they saw on MTV or Fuse.
>>
>>60293915
No, i used to love the metalcore scene. Warped Tour was fun, but I got tired of it. Its the same shit over and over. I loved guys like whitechapel, chelsea grin, BMTH (pre-sempiternal), and yes...Attila.

It just got repetitive to me. Then I bought a modest mouse album and fell in love. I've been listening to different shit ever since.
>>
i think this is legitimately a great topic
>>
>>60294135
thanks man! I guess /mu/ isnt full of a bunch of butthurt pricks afterall :D
>>
>>60281261
Holy shit you sound stupid. How old are you?
>>
>>60280767 We have brostep in the 2010s, or at least the begging of it. "EDM" culture has at least slowed down I feel, but to talk about "metalcore" I feel like youre late to the game.

I'm assuming when you talk about metalcore, youre talking about bands like The Devil Wears Prada and Bring Me the Horizon, which is barley metalcore. They are hottopic music, which to me at least, felt like it was more alive when warped tour started to put that type of music on every stage, but I think youre doing good metalcore bands wrong by lumping them together.

Also, hiphop has changed dramatically I'd say.
>>
>>60294122
You're defening BMTH and Atilla. Literally exactly what I meant about you only having listened to scene bullshit. Real metalcore is not on the fucking warped tour lol.
>>
we wont be having a great music scene anytime soon for the same reason there wont be a third world war
>>
>>60281898
The thing is that the interner is nice to get exposure, but it won't fet you revenue except if you're already well known. Most bands still play local shows and bars, they still tour their srea, they still collaborate with other local bands. For most "rock" and underground bands, the internet hasn't changed much, it's mostly a nice way to get heard and to make a bit of cash, but live shows are still very much needed.

I think new scenes are going to come. Post punk is really hot and exciting right now and I could see this new kinda sound being explored more and becoming bigger. Mac DeMarco's vibe of slacker/indie pop, even though I don't really like it, came from what I'd call a scene here in Mtl, with many other great bands waiting to be discovered.. perhaps they never will. I'm sure that there's a lot of really interesting stuff all pver the place, but what the internet has done isn't changing the band's realities, it has diluted our common consciousness.
>>
>>60283584
Maybe it's different where I'm from. My city has a sound, a mix of cross influences from "important" people and venues and a general vibe that is truly ours. I'd be sad if this was unique to here.
>>
>>60294558
i mean, I'm 18, thats what was exposed to me as "metalcore". what are some examples of the good metalcore bands you're referring to?
>>
>>60294651
There aren't any
>>
>>60294651
Try some Earth Crisis, Ringworm, Converge, stuff like that. Integrity's early stuff is great too.
>>
>>60287172
>>60292377
I'm talking about the Upper Peninsula. The only local bands are some butt rock cover band, trash tier metalcore, and a pop punk band that doesn't seem too terrible but I left the venue before they played.
>>
>>60289186
Yeah bro it's gonna be great. Stay hyped.

>>60293737
I want to do my first release on my own but after that we could possibly collaborate. Screenshot this for proof and hit me up if you like my stuff once I put it out. I am 100% serious by the way.
>>
>>60294682
I like ringworm. My friend recommended me to them a while back. I guess the one band that i listen to whose making good shit in the warped tour scene is Stray From the Path...theyre too much like RATM and their new album is not that good, but i like em
>>
>>60281108
Yes they are. Artificial intelligence steps closer and closer to mimicing human consciousness every day.
>>
File: 1447021489182.jpg (16 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
1447021489182.jpg
16 KB, 300x400
>>60281474
> Blue Jay Way
> HELTER SKELTER
> COMPARING THESE TO ROY ORBISON
>>
>>60294956
no, computers are man-made outta materials and shit. they dont have brains. they think with 1s and 0s. we will never be computers for the same reason we'll never be able to create life out of raw matter...
>>
>>60294832
They're not really my thing, but they're not bad. I saw them play with Every Time I Die and a bunch of local hardcore bands recently.

Definitely nab yourself some early Converge though. And I mean, if you like heavier stuff, the Jane Doe era might be good for you as well.
>>
>>60295071
i saw Every Time i Die in the '14 warped lineup. they were really good, but there werent a lot of people there, which is a shame. that new album had just come out and it was really good...

ill check em out ;)
>>
File: accurate.jpg (179 KB, 1035x667) Image search: [Google]
accurate.jpg
179 KB, 1035x667
>>60283279
>>
File: vinnie-moore-interview-6.jpg (216 KB, 1135x1364) Image search: [Google]
vinnie-moore-interview-6.jpg
216 KB, 1135x1364
>>60284601
>master guitar in a couple months
>couple months
What are you 10?
Do you even 80s?
>>
There's a good indie rock scene tinged with jazz in Florida. Check out Odessos on band camp
>>
>>60295773
that must be terrible
>>
>>60284601
Bullshit. I've seen many top guitar players do songs and passages that would take years to learn and are an absolute bitch simply to memorize. Learning software and such doesn't compare in even the slightest.
>>
Garage rock is getting bigger everyday
>>
>>60281261
funny the heavy bands don't sell or get liked as much as the faggy shoegaze bands

hmmmmm
>>
>>60283665
uh? okayy? sure will be waiting for it to drop f am :)
>>
>>60289571
sounds lame
>>
Considering what the industrialized world is coming to, I don't think there will be a "brand new original sound" but rather a tendency for all popular music styles to gather and mix various elements tied together around an increasing use of electronic elements that will have their poppier or harsher declinations. I'm thinking of bands like Atari Soundsystem and Punish Yourself. Also as a reaction to this movement, more purely acoustic and instrumental records.
>>
>>60296627
atari teenage riot*
>>
>>60294485
this
>>
File: m_55dea7dd56b2d6ffc800a24f[1].jpg (114 KB, 580x580) Image search: [Google]
m_55dea7dd56b2d6ffc800a24f[1].jpg
114 KB, 580x580
>>60280767
The vaporwave scene m8
All bout dem
A E S T H E T I C S
>>
>>60295773
sounds lame
>>
2040 robots have taken everyone's jobs, massive non electronic/acoustic scene is born.
>>
>>60296627
hmmm yeah that sounds about right
>>
>>60296737
By that time it's more likely for them to start making art instead of taking all the human jobs to be honest.
>>
>>60280767
The next death grips album son.
>>
The hope the Alex g/Elvis depressedly/orchid tapes style of weird lo-fi pop catches on and guys like Alex g continue to expert a little with it
>>
>>60284601
>>60295618
hes memeing you, ya dip
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.