[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /mu/ hate progressive metal so much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (187 KB, 792x828) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
187 KB, 792x828
Why does /mu/ hate progressive metal so much
>>
We don't. We hate bad prog.
>>
Scale The Summit isn't bad
>>
Its all wank
>>
>>60280287
this. and pretty much prog fans are shit.
>>
there is some good prog metal, but the concept of prog metal is flawed. Extreme complexity and technicality =/= good music.
also what >>60280340 said
>>
>>60280340
So music being technical is inherently bad?

I've never considered "wank" to be a bad thing. Just souless wank
>>
>>60280403
I dunno, I feel when done right complexity can very much add to a piece of music.
However I think the issue is its easy to fall into the trap of being complex for the sake of being complex.

For example, early Dream Theater was brilliant IMO however over time they fell into that trap and became a shell of their former selves
>>
>>60280340
absolutely untrue

a lot of the bands are not very good songwriters but it's a very interesting and diverse genre, though some styles are overdone.

pagan's mind fucking suck
>>
>>60280479
And "wank" isn't a bad thing either. Just there good wank and band wank and its very much a case by case basis.

Protest The Hero is like 90% wank however theyre also good songwriters so it works for them
>>
>>60280453
>I dunno, I feel when done right complexity can very much add to a piece of music.
>However I think the issue is its easy to fall into the trap of being complex for the sake of being complex.
Yeah I guess I worded that a bit badly, I agree with you here completely
>>
>>60280519
well i more would phrase it as, not all technicality is wank. if technicality is directed and relevant to the larger goals of the composition, that's totally a good way to achieve your musical goals. if you're just doing unrestrained showboating, that can get in the way of the song. long solos generally kill a piece's progression.

really the only thing about DT that's wanky is their solos and instrumentals, their riffs are generally not outstandingly technical and generally lack a unique personality. that's one thing that bothers me about prog.
>>
>>60280069
there gay
>>
>>60280624
>if you're just doing unrestrained showboating, that can get in the way of the song. long solos generally kill a piece's progression.
I thought that was the commonly agreed on definition of wank
>>
>>60280624
Recommand your favorite prog metal albums
>>
I like some prog but the fans can be obnoxious tbhfam
>>
>>60280742
OP here. Mines kinda generic, as I recently started getting REALLY into the genre
Between the Buried and me -Colors
Protest the Hero - Volition
The Fall of Troy - Doppleganger
Save Us From Achron - How Terrible, The Undergrowths Jaws that Tangle
The Faceless - Planetary Duality

Just off the top of my head. Let me know of you want more
>>
File: BabyMetal.jpg (72 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
BabyMetal.jpg
72 KB, 640x640
>>60280341
Depends on the band/how serious they are but yeah.

There's also the fact that it's kinda a genre fan's genre as you'll probably only be into it if you already like metal and/or prog... both genres which have fostered the mentality that "Everything that comes out of them now isn't good or on par with older stuff".

And then there's the whole thing where prog was invented to try to make rock as artistically credible as other kinds of music... and now since that's happened Prog is still kinda hanging around for some reason.
>>
>>60280742
oof, broad category. i'll split it up.

old-school (80's, 90's):
Adramelch - Irae Melanox
Titan Force - s/t
Voivod - Nothingface
Fates Warning - The Specter Within

Dream Theater-style:
Eternity X - The Edge
Thessera - Fooled Eyes
Thought Chamber - Angular Perceptions
Agora - Segundo Pasado

prog black/death/other extreme:
Ne Obliviscaris - Portal of I
Kathaarsys - Verses in Vain
Supuration - The Cube
The Ocean - Pelagial

prog metalcore/djent/other modern
Erra - either album
Journal - Unlorja
Corelia - Nostalgia
Uneven Structure - Februus
Dir en Grey - any of the last 3 but especially Arche atm
>>
>>60280830
>both genres which have fostered the mentality that "Everything that comes out of them now isn't good or on par with older stuff".
I must be really against the grain because I've felt like the past 10 years have been an absolute golden age for prog.

Sure Dream Theater went to shit, but we have so many really great, newer bands on the scene
>>
>>60280069

In my opinion, it gets old real fast and most of the bands don't really have any elements of progressive music other than the wankery.

All things considered, Focus by Cynic is damn good.
>>
The only bearable prog is Between The Buried and Me. Everything else is pretentious faggy garbage.
>>
>>60280830
>And then there's the whole thing where prog was invented to try to make rock as artistically credible as other kinds of music... and now since that's happened Prog is still kinda hanging around for some reason.
i don't think that's what the original prog rock bands were doing, they didn't have a unified goal in mind. they were trying to push the envelope and be more ambitious, yeah, but I don't think Fripp or Wakeman or Shulman or whoever else were trying to be as sophisticated as classical music. Emerson maybe but that dude was so far up his own ass

>>60280813
here's some suggestions
I mentioned Journal. I think you'd love them as a BTBAM fan. Corelia too, since you like PTH. Painted in Exile, Peculate and Native Construct are really accomplished newer acts who are strongly BTBAM-influenced - I don't like NC but you might. Some older eclectic prog metalcore bands like The Number Twelve Looks Like You and Lye By Mistake might also be up your alley. Also check out Candiria, they were one of the first bands to mix metalcore and prog metal. Candiria, in turn, were inspired by Atheist - and if you haven't heard Elements and Unquestionable Presence, do so immediately.

Save Us from The Archon are great! They used to be a metalcore band, under the name What's Left Of Her. Very underrated.

As for The Faceless, check out:
Inanimate Existence
Gorod
Martyr
Extol
Son of Aurelius
Vale of Pnath
Dissonance in Design
Noneuclid
>>
>>60280069
Because prog metal is fedora-tier
>>
>>60281090
haahahahahahahaahahahahahaha how the fuck can you think this
first off they're a widely imitated band so if you like them you'll like a lot of other prog metal, you just haven't explored the genre at all if you're making this statement.
second of all their songwriting is basically everything people say is wrong with prog. it's so aimless and incoherent.
>>
>>60281109

Death Grips and vapor wave get a shitload of discussion here tho.
>>
>>60281127
Look guys, I found the pretentious fag who likes garbage.
>>
>>60281161
Look guys I found an epic memester
>>
File: IHSAHN_-_AFTER_artwork.jpg (464 KB, 1465x1488) Image search: [Google]
IHSAHN_-_AFTER_artwork.jpg
464 KB, 1465x1488
The genre isn't inherently bad but unfortunately there's a lot of bad stuff out there. When you combine the wanky self-indulgence of prog rock with the worst technical excesses of metal, it's bound to happen.
pic related is one of my favourite albums though and it's a great example of prog metal done tastefully.
>>
>>60281101
Are you the anon that recommended me Save Us From Archon? You must be, as I don't think their even signed
>>
>>60281334
i don't anon so it wasn't me

they're decently well-known, not as much as plini or chon but i'm not surprised if instrumental proggers namedrop them

you also might like dionaea

...sorry i give so many recs
>>
>>60280742

Classics for good reasons, best in terms of overall songwriting:
Human by Death
Focus by Cynic
Unquestionable Presence by Atheist
Destroy Erase Improve by Meshuggah

Good wankery:
Energetic Disassembly by Watchtower
Calculating Infinity by Dillinger Escape Plan
Colors by Between the Buried and Me
Epitaph by Necrophagist

Interesting elements:
Spheres by Pestilence
In Absentia by Porcupine Tree
Gordian Knot by Gordian Knot
Řád a trest By !T.O.O.H.!

Shallow list, but I was a huge prog head during my teen years and the genre doesn't really get better the further you dig, well, there are some hidden jewels, but gets old real fast.
>>
File: 1390613340650.jpg (54 KB, 640x560) Image search: [Google]
1390613340650.jpg
54 KB, 640x560
>>60281578
Is Meshuggah actually considered prog? I mean I could understand Catch 33 or something but their early stuff doesn't strike me as such.
>>
>>60280742
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/jonesnc/4chan_mu_progressive_metal_essentials__v5_by_jacob_/

This takes you through all styles of Prog metal. While you might not like everything on here its all worth a listen imo
>>
>>60281621

Probably not a full prog band, but the song structure, time signatures used and execution are all prog music shared elements.
>>
>>60281161
but i said i don't like BTBAM
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (150 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
150 KB, 1440x1080
I'm listening and enjoying to BTBAM - Paralax II now, and wanted to come to /mu/ to ask if I'm into prog metal.

Are bands like Estradasphere or Secret Chiefs III (tracks like Exterminating Angel at least) considered progressive metal?

desu my favorite bits of this BTBAM album are the least metal parts, but I'm wondering if there's more in this genre I should be listening to?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.