[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I'm looking for some guitar nerds to help me pick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: gibson_lpj.jpg (52 KB, 800x690) Image search: [Google]
gibson_lpj.jpg
52 KB, 800x690
Hey guys, I'm looking for some guitar nerds to help me pick a new guitar.
Basically have 3 options:
- Gibson SGJ 2013
- Gibson LPJ 2013
- Ibanez RGIR20E

Also looking into LTD EC-1000 and LTD TE-406, but not sure I can afford these 2, so I'm sticking with the initial 3 options.
>>
File: ibanez_RGIR20E.jpg (136 KB, 820x547) Image search: [Google]
ibanez_RGIR20E.jpg
136 KB, 820x547
OP here, forgot to mention I play more alternative rock, metal stuff, some harcore and pop punk too.
Also my current gear is so shitty it doesn't even matter to the decision.
>>
LTDs are pretty awesome. I was about to get myself a Schecter Hellraiser but decided to get a US made Fender Strat instead. Im glad I did, but I totally recommend you check out schecter guitars. They have really good metal/rock guitars and most of them come with EMG pickups, which have ORGASMIC distortion tones.
>>
>>60273443
What are you asking us OP? How would we know what guitar suits you?

Have you singled out these three guitars because you've played them all, or because you think they look/sound cool?

Generally you'll find there are about 3 different scale lengths, 3 types of fret size, about 5-6 neck shapes, 2-3 types of fretboard woods. I am really oversimplying here because there are a lot more options, but just those variables alone leave you with 3*3*6*3 = 162 different combinations. How do you possible know that out of all those combinations, those Gibson guitars have the right variables?

So go to your local store and play as many different guitars as possible. Try different brands and different models. You just might end up buying a cheap Squier, but you'll be a lot happier with a guitar that isn't a pain to play.
>>
>>60273871
I know Schecter, my problem with their guitars is the aesthetics, I really dislike the way they look except for like 1 or 2 models that are way above my budget unfortunately.
I'll check out the prices for the LTD's in local stores and if they have decent prices I'm probably going with the EC-1000, it's beautiful and sounds great, also built with EMG's so I really like it.
>>
>>60274097
Well, the options there say specific models, which only have one option for neck, fret size and all that stuff, so not so many variables but I get what you're saying.
I picked those based on quality of sound, good brands preferably and looks, I want a guitar that sounds awesome, but I also want one that looks badass and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
Haven't played them bc I live in a small city in Brazil, meaning the few music stores there are around here don't really have any of those more expensive guitars for you to try out, they're only available for ordering. 3rd world problems lol.
>>
>>60274130
yeah man, the ec-1000 is pretty fucking awesome too. EMGs are the bomb. i was actually considering buying the 7 string version at one point, but then i stopped listening to metal.

and dont pay attention to that fag above me, he's right, but his comment is condescending af. DONT buy a squier. dont even go fender unless its american, theres such a huge difference.
>>
>>60274226
Yeah I listen to a lot of different shit, but for playing I like metal a lot so I just think EMG's are the way to go you know.

Eh, I answered him, I think he was trying to say something valid, he just took an agressive approach for no reason whatsoever, idk.

Yeah I'm not a fan of squiers, I was actually considering getting one, the Jim Root telecaster, but just for the price of it, isn't worth it, I'd really love a Jim Root Fender Telecaster but it costs like 3x what I have to spend rn so no deal.

I'll probably do what he said too though, go to the stores and try out some guitars just for kicks, you never know haha.
>>
>>60274279
haha, its fun to play metal, i still do some slayer and SOAD when i feel like tuning my guitar down. and going to guitar stores is pretty sweet. just dont be that guy at the shop who plays Sweet child o' mine...thats all you need to do. I ordered my guitar, there's nothing wrong with that, especially if you have a bunch of shitty selections. good luck :D
>>
>>60274188
Hope u have a good amp. An amp is going to shape your sound significantly more than a guitar.

Personally I would probably just save your cash and buy the Ec-1000. Reasons being with the Ibanez you're going to have to live with that shitty floyd, and I've never been hugely fond of buying Gibson's sight unseen. Decent feel and probably the one with the largest tonal range.

However OP I would recommend you take a look at one of these

http://www.themusiczoo.com/images/12-16-11/6370_Fender_Special_Edition_Custom_Telecaster_FMT_ICF11001446_a.jpg

FMT Telecaster. Set Neck construction with 25.5 scale length. Best of both worlds imo. You can usually swoop them for pretty cheap on Reverb. Pick it up and get a set of decent pickups. I've played a few and they've consistently been pretty good. Not really my cup of tea but not bad. Not Hugely fond of the electronics.

>>60274226
I wouldn't say that, there's definitely a huge change in feel from a squier to a Fender but I find MIM MIK MIA MIJ to be somewhat in the same ballpark. I mean, it's a Fender so if you hate something about it change it.
>>
>>60274363
Haha yeah I won't do Stairway to Heaven either lol. Thanks!
>>
>>60274398
lol true, squier basses are good too. every squier guitar ive played has been pretty shitty sounding. It really depends on the model, but american has that distinct sound and feel. there are some shit american fenders as well, but my strat was the best $950 i've ever spent in my life. its the model with the humbucker bridge. a little more versatile, which worked out for me.

but you who makes some good amps?

Fender :D
>>
>>60274398
I actually don't have a very good amp, problem is I'm short on money so if I buy an amp, no guitar (and my guitar rn is really bad, to the point where it's killing my motivation to play) and if I buy a guitar no amp.

Any suggestions on a good but budget amp? I think preferably a combo, cause no way I have money for a head and cab...
>>
>>60274483
Yeah the squier's really need to be upgraded in a significant way. Their new classic vibes line is actually really good tho. Nice, I'm more of a tele guy myself, putting together one with a BKP Piledriver set when the money's right.

Yeah man, I'm paying on a Jc-120 and I like it, but I'm really kicking myself for not springing for a Deluxe Reverb/Twin Reverb haha

>>60274491
I actually really like the Vox Valvetronix line. Cheaper amps that are half solidstate half tube or something. They're pretty alright. If you can get a Traynor for cheap I'd do that, they make some of the best sounding solidstate amps I've ever heard. Killer Amps no one plays. Maybe consider a lunchbox head and cab. I don't know anything about those tho.
>>
>>60274660
Actually I just remembered. There's a little epiphone 5watt that people love. It sounds okay it's all tube. Couldn't use it in a band but for practice it's not bad. Epiphone Valve Jr.
>>
>>60274660
I'll definitely look into the Vox cause it seems like it's pretty affordable if I save some money, Traynor seems to be a little bit of an unknown brand and being that I live in Brazil it's really hard to find anything by brands like that.
>>
>>60274757
Yeah I'm looking for one that I can use with the band, I'll keep the shitty one as a practice amp for now lol
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.