[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is /mu/'s final, conclusive and objective opinion on this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Liturgy_-_The_Ark_Work.jpg (296 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Liturgy_-_The_Ark_Work.jpg
296 KB, 800x800
What is /mu/'s final, conclusive and objective opinion on this
>>
it's a meme first and foremost
>>
i still have no idea honestly
>>
It's an incredibly divisive art-rock album.

That's about as far as you can conclusively get.

That being said, I think the fact that it challenges so many people is an example of how it's much greater art than the tons of basic shit people have been parading around here and elsewhere for years. Art is supposed to be challenging, it's supposed to provide you with visions and ideas that you aren't used to and may even repulse you. That's what makes it individual expression instead of some corporate or shallow popularity grab.
>>
it's a fucking mess
in a good way, sort of
>>
>>60271211
Art in general is NOT supposed to be challenging. Only a small fraction of XXth century art is supposed to be challenging.
>>
Amazing album imo. I've really never heard anything quite like it.
>>
Liturgy is a fantastic name.

I have never listened to their music.
>>
>>60271274
well here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrwql_Dfc4s
>>
>>60271247
Art is about the expression of the individual, the human spirit. If you lose a sense of the individual artist, then you've lost the beauty in the art. You're no longer experiencing a unique experience, but one that's homogenized. No longer experiencing something special and creative, but something bland and safe.

Mozart was challenging, Beethoven was challenging, Wagner was challenging: every great composer post-Bach was challenging.
>>
>>60271189
There will never be a final opinion on something from /mu/
>>
>>60271294
Only a fraction of XIXth and XXth century art is about the expression of the individual.

Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>60271337
Are you going to honestly say right now that Debussy, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, and Reich were not individual in their expression?
>>
5.2/10

too experimental for its own good
and: midi horn leads? really?
>>
>>60271337
>What is Romanticism?

Keep proving how stupid you are you fucking luddite.
>>
>>60271337
Why does the majority matter at all when talking about art? Do you even know where we are? Not the anon you were talking to btw
>>
Liturgy's The Ark Work (Thrill Jockey, 2015) opens with a synth overture, appropriately titled Fanfare, which stands as an announcement that this is a different band. In fact, the vocalist sings a litany instead of screaming in Follow. Another Scottish-style synth fanfare drives Kel Valhaal, that gets more and more cacophonic along the way, with the singer entering a spoken-word trance. Follow II is only electronic atmosphere for the first half, before it opens up to blastbeats, free-form noise and a bit of screaming. Quetzalcoatl even winks at synth-pop with a drum-machine and regular melodic singing. The grandiose riffing and the panzer tempo of Father Vorizen are wasted in another lame litany. The exotic and exoteric chant Vitriol is something one would expect from Dead Can Dance or Lycia. The eleven-minute Haelegen is simply ridiculous. A transitional work, this album scatters its songs in many different directions without hitting any target worth of being hit.
>>
>>60271411
All he did is just explain how it sounded and then said "I don't like it."
>>
>>60271189
Comedy rock AOTY
>>
>>60271365
a fraction of XIXth century art
>>
>>60271508
see >>60271353

Romanticism was 19th century btw, don't look too much of an idiot now!
>>
It's a rather flimsy mess of half-baked ideas that never lives up to its grand ambitions. Disappointing follow-up to their first two records.
>>
>>60271189
>objective opinion
>>
>>60271189
It had one of the best opening sequences I've ever heard from Fanfare -> Follow II. The first 20 minutes are very special, I don't I've ever heard something like it before. Quetzacoatl is where it starts to get sketchy. HHH's vocals are questionable when isolated. He really isn't flexing any muscle in that category. It would be like if Michael Gira did a solo vocal performance that had the intention to do anything other than make you uncomfortable. He works in the context of his music, but when it comes down to it he's not the best singer.

On the other hand, the worst track in my opinion is Father Vorizen. The instrumentals really were the prime mover in how each track felt, and Father Vorizen just sounds lazy and uninteresting. The same chords over and over again for 6 minutes with little to no variation, no progression, and HHH doesn't exactly save the track with his vocals either.

Lastly, there's a section in Vitriol, where HHH is almost solo again on the vocals, and it sounds like shit.
>>
>>60271211

>art rock

buzz off

It's total fucking garbage.
>>
>>60271804
HHH's vocals sound okay when they're heavily reverbed and when he's singing in the right register.
In Survival, his singing is alright.

not in TAW.
>>
>>60271825
Good argument.
>>
File: autistica.jpg (48 KB, 608x559) Image search: [Google]
autistica.jpg
48 KB, 608x559
DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT DOOT

such a transcendental meme
>>
>>60271355
>midi horn
do u even know what ur talking about
>>
>>60271189
4/10, not enough HEY
>>
A lot of good ideas on this album but executed poorly. I think Triple HHH would benefit if he actually listen to his band members or even got outside help.
>>
It's a good album, one of the best from this year. It would be fantastic if not for its obvious flaws and my own personal preferences, like how I think it would work better if some songs didn't have clean vocals.
>>
In the bottom 5 albums I've listened to this year
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.