[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of getting a keyboard for producing when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 1000x415) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 1000x415
What's the point of getting a keyboard for producing when there's piano roll?

Does a keyboard actually bring any benefit to the sound or is it a mere peripheral mostly for convenience?

>and i couldn't less about the 'muh real music' meme
>>
only advantage is for improvising / coming up with ideas.

Piano roll is more accurate, but less human than if you record yourself playing MIDI keyboard (if you're good enough to record that is)
>>
>>60271166
There isn't one, not for you. Now go make your boring trap beats in obscurity until dad makes you get a job.
>>
>>60271166
Speeds up workflow a ton. Let's u demo entire melodies instead of trial and error with the piano roll. That's it pretty much.
>>
I personally hate making music with a point and click mouse and computer keys on the screen.

I try to use as much hardware as possible.
>>
>>60271188
Most coherent answer.

In short, yes the sound does benefit in the long run.

Less trial and error = more time to deepen the sound.
>>
>>60271166
More intuitive / pressure sensitive creates a more dynamic sound
>>
File: image.png (3 MB, 1242x2208) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3 MB, 1242x2208
>>60271184
Merzbowfag detected.
>>
>>60271235
you can control sensitivity with piano rolls
>>
>>60271239
Shit is grueling though.
>>
>>60271251
its quick as fuck to control volume, panning, filter, fine pitch tuning, etc. with a good piano roll. Maybe you should use FL or something with an excellent and powerful piano roll.
>>
>>60271268
Top hmm.

What about Logic?
>>
The best way to compose is entirely in your head.
Then write it down, for instance on a piano roll.
>>
>>60271238
>Merzbow fans like midi-keyboards
You're a fucking idiot
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 366x488
>>60271393
Not what I was implying, m8
>>
File: image.png (25 KB, 336x329) Image search: [Google]
image.png
25 KB, 336x329
Possibly stupid question incoming:

What about synthesizers?
>>
>>60271437
synthesizers are like mini keyboard/pianos that most likely can fill the place of a midi as well
>>
>>60271472
NOTED
>>
>>60271166
To actually play what you're recording instead of punching in every note one at a time
To be able to improvise
To save time
To be more spontaneous
>>
>>60271166

Saves time. Develops dank skills you can actually show off to people in person. No one cares that you can drag bloops across a screen, everyone will just go "dude I could do that."

And they could. Because it's just clicking and dragging.
>>
So you can physically play it, which allows for a more natural sound and more possibilities for improvisation.
Or even if it's just for a 25-key for basic note input it's far nicer to have tactile feedback than just clicking notes on the roll. Same goes for MIDI controls.
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 301x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 301x396
This is a quality thread.
>>
>>60271268
>quick as fuck
Still slower than a keyboard
>>
I always use my 88-key MIDI controller when programming drums or piano, or other highly velocity-sensitive instruments. It gets me a much more "realistic" sound than manually inputting the velocity for each note in the roll like a ninny.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.