[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>18 years old >want to make music >no musical experience
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
>18 years old
>want to make music
>no musical experience

Is it too late /mu/?
>>
>>60270520
of course not, exept if by music you mean Justin bieber or one direction.
>>
Statistically if you aren't proficient in your chosen instrument by the age of 6, you'll never make it in music.
>>
m8, you're 18, you'll likely live another 40-50 years, do you think you have it in you to make some music in that time frame?
>>
Depends what kind of music and what's your approach to it.
>>
>>60270575
Well I want to make sample based hip hop inspired by the Memphis underground scene of the 90s, I know there was some sort of revivalism going on in like 2012 and its over now but I think I can make some quality stuff still

Also want to learn Guitar, Piano, and an instrument that is prevalent in Jazz so I can play some cool pieces, haven't decided which instrument yet. How's that?
>>
>>60270555
awful statistic

nice trips
>>
Wes Montgomery started at 20.

Just shut the fuck up and start practicing instead of acting like a bitch.
>>
>>60270698
That actually makes me feel a lot better knowing that he started at 20, gives me hope, thank you.
>>
>>60270675
>Also want to learn Guitar, Piano, and an instrument that is prevalent in Jazz

Well, better get practicing
you'll be a talented multi-instrumentalist if you start now and work hard for about 10/15 years
>>
>>60270712
Leonard Cohen released his debut at 32.
>>
My dad once told me about a heap of blues and jazz musicians who started in their 20s and 30s
>>
>>60270520
Get out of this board and go learn some instrument. It's not too late. In a few years you'll be able to make music you enjoy.
>>
my old man is 40 years old, has been making music for >10 years or so, and has only now started making actual progress. it's not about starting early, it's about not giving up and staying persistent to improve your skills and make connections, pushing forward
>>
>>60270765
your old man was a dad at 22?
fuck
>>
File: 363464334.png (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
363464334.png
7 KB, 224x225
>played the cello for 5 years until i was 13
>gave it up because i was embarrassed even thought i actually enjoyed it
>7 years later and have lost pretty much all musical ability
>>
>>60270801
Why were you embarrassed in the first place?
>>
>>60270801
lmfao
the cello is such a cool instrument too
could have easily been the centerpiece of your local indie band anon
>>
>>60270712
I just started learning guitar and am 20 years old, you'll be surprised how easily you make progress if you really want it.

If you need some motivation and are in a position where you can do so, get a really fucking nice guitar that sets you back a handsome fee and you'll A) not want to waste money and B) see that lovely fucking guitar just wasting away and feel bad about it

That's what I did, and now I play it every day.
>>
>>60270823
Yup this has worked for me with other things too, just gotta save up the money and I'll start practicing, also getting a sampler for christmas so life should be pretty good in a couple months
>>
>>60270812
i don't know, probably because i was 13 and wanted to be cool?
>>
>>60270851
cello is fucking cool though man, sucks that at 13 things that are 'cool' are completely different though, feel bad for you senpai
>>
>>60270520
Nope, last week i bought my first guitar. I'm fucking 20.
>>
>>60270801
You can pick it up again, i'm sure.

I mean, your muscle memory deteriorates but doesn't go away completely. Start practicing anon.
>>
>>60270857
>tfw i only just realised why everybody is saying senpai all of a sudden
>>
>>60270801
You can probably make the same progress in a year now just from the muscle memory you have left
>>
File: motivation.jpg (28 KB, 700x512) Image search: [Google]
motivation.jpg
28 KB, 700x512
>>60270520
start working on it then
>>
>>60270857
yeah, it's probably one of my biggest childhood regrets t b h

>>60270928
>>60270901
you know i've been thinking of picking it up again, it might not be the same as playing it since i was a kid but at least i can say i didn't completely give it up

thanks anons
>>
>>60270941
needed that image today
>>
At all.
You're in time to have some good fun. Bear in mind it's gonna take years to master, so keep it up. Don't expect to make a living out of it though.
>>
>>60270675
learn saxophone/clarinet, woodwinds are easy to pick up imo
>>
File: PC DESKTOP MICROPHONE.jpg (18 KB, 451x600) Image search: [Google]
PC DESKTOP MICROPHONE.jpg
18 KB, 451x600
>>60270520
No, it's never too late. I think I started out making my own music when I was that age, with no clue how to play or make music. I still don't have any clue how to properly play any instrument or use any music software. I use an acoustic guitar, a Korg nano USB keyboard and a computer microphone from 1995. Then I record stuff with Audacity and put everything together in a movie editing program (Adobe Premiere).

The only proper chord I know is the D chord. I just make up my own chords when I play but I'm guessing they're real chords just that I don't know which ones they are.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.