[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spoken word core
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: lumpy.jpg (162 KB, 953x953) Image search: [Google]
lumpy.jpg
162 KB, 953x953
What are some essential spoken word albums? I've listened to Zappa's Lumpy Grave and loved the spoken word parts. It's so atmospheric and thrilling. I need recs for others album with thrilling storytelling with none instrumentation or few of it.
>>
andrew jackson jihad has some funny lyrics
>>
>>60269631
Anything by Listener. Wooden Heart is their most well known work but personally I think Time Is a Machine may be the better work.
>>
pretty much anything by la dispute
>>
File: nordine.jpg (35 KB, 500x476) Image search: [Google]
nordine.jpg
35 KB, 500x476
Check out Ken Nordine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU5ykqUMXY8
>>
File: 51rP5otjt-L.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51rP5otjt-L.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
>>
Let's get some Bongwater in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMcuRl_shGE
>>
File: 1434940283418.jpg (105 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
1434940283418.jpg
105 KB, 1300x1300
If you are into the beat generation, try this.
>>
I guess it doesn't count but always loved the spoken word poem at the start of F#A# ∞
>>
>>60269631
I assume it has to be in English?

What if it's just spoken word saying nonsense?

Do you just like the voice or what they're actually saying?
>>
>>60269631
A Grand Doesn't Come For Free by The Streets is so good if you can get past the accent
>>
OP here
>>60272335
Well, I like both voice and what they're saying. If an album has both, I'd be more likely to listen to it. Anyway, if it's a rec in a foreign language that's pretty nice and I will check it out.
As an example, I dig this intro so much, even though I can't understand a word in japanese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ey7Je5oXE

Guess I'm looking for albums that sets a deep atmosphere through whispering and telling stories.
>>
>>60269631
If you can hear a word, it's a spoken word. get the fuck out with these "music" "genre" names.
>>
File: R-2959964-1309221628.jpeg.jpg (88 KB, 446x450) Image search: [Google]
R-2959964-1309221628.jpeg.jpg
88 KB, 446x450
Robert Ashley's Private Parts is probably right up your alley.

Some AACM guys really liked throwing in poetry here and there but I don't think there's an entire album full of it. But stuff like Muhal Richard Abrams' The Birdsong, Joseph Jarman's Non-Cognitive Aspects of the City and Remembering Paris, and the Art Ensemble of Chicago's Ericka and Illistrum are pretty neat.

Last Poets are neat if you like angry black poets.

Derek Bailey recorded a couple of albums featuring him reciting poetry over his guitar playing. Mostly Poetry & Playing and Takes Fakes and Dead She Dances.

If you want just straight up spoken poetry with no music, Billy Childish has recorded a couple of his books. Hunger at the Moon and Poems of Laughter and Violence are really neat.
>>
>>60272450
I love listening to Jan Erik Vold recite his poetry even though I don't understand Norwegian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nxkN_GqhQg
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.