[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 13
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 319x284) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 319x284
This album is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever sat through. That awful, awful old woman like voice and those LOL SO POETIC lyrics are fucking cringe. Is there a more pretentious artist out there? Holy fuck, she embodies everything wrong with you fuckers.
She's nothing more than a masturbation source for pasty losers that play world of Warcraft. Absolutely disgusting album. Fuck you all.
>>
It's time for bed marcel
>>
>>60265209
agree 100% fuck that bitch
>>
Showed this album to my gf and she loved it.
>>
>>60265209
This is one of the most fedora albums i´ve ever heard desu
>>
>>60265263
Girls have shit taste m8.
I mean, she's dating a guy who lurks 4chan.
>>
I can't wait to see her live next month.
>>
>>60265209
I agree
>>
>>60265209

I'm pretty sure this is bait but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I understand how some people might not like her voice but can you please explain to me what is wrong with the lyrics? I want to make sure you can at the very least grasp the level of complexity of what she's doing and why before we can even have a discussion.
>>
>>60266505
same
>>
He's kind of right. Joanna Newsom is a good artist but people on here overrate the fuck out of her because they think they look cool and intellectual to do it. It's just like with Swans and Death Grips: teenagers who think that liking particularly experimental or different music makes them more interesting people.
>>
>>60265610
kek'd
>>
>>60266842
But it does make them more interesting people.
>>
>>60266874
No it does not. Listening to different music does nothing to your personality. You have to understand the music and be able to talk about it intelligently with actual people.

Saying "WOAH DEATH GRIPS IS SO WOW OMG" is fucking mindless teenager behavior.
>>
>>60265209
Listen to Song Cycle by Van Dyke Parks instead. Much better than this "woman version" hack
>>
>>60266910
>Saying "WOAH DEATH GRIPS IS SO WOW OMG" is fucking mindless teenager behavior.

Do people actually do that, or is that something you've created -- or at least exaggerated -- in your head?
>>
Yeah I mean if you don't like her voice that's cool but that album and the work that went into it and its lyricism was so staggeringly and painstakingly thought out that joanna has said that, down to the WORD, that the only line on the entire album that was made up for the sake of completing the song was the last line of Only Skin. Everything else, she's said that even changing one word would have upset her because of how deeply personal and meaningful the entire thing is.
>>
She sounds like a cat having a diarrhea while getting hit by a car.
>>
when /mu/ can't handle a woman with a nontraditional voice but masturbates to jeff mangum and other dudes with nontraditional voices on the reg
>>
>>60266999
>Do people actually do that
have you been in DG threads?
and Joanna threads.
and Swans threads.
>>
>>60267065
/mu/ loves joanna newsom you retard
one bait thread doesn't change that
>>
File: 1420094584745.jpg (24 KB, 350x459) Image search: [Google]
1420094584745.jpg
24 KB, 350x459
>>60265209
>greatest lyricist in the history of recorded music
>10/10 instrumentation by the musical genius of Van Parks
>The finishing touches of the ever-perfect Jim O'Rourke
>Unique, emotive vocals, that require several listen-throughs to enjoy, but remain enjoyable for years later on

Friendly reminder that not enjoying this album means you can't comprehend music.
>>
>>60267079
>/mu/ is one person
>>
>>60267148
Her lyrics lyrics are as corny as the instrumentation senpai
>>
>>60267148
don't forget recorded by Steve Albino
>>
File: 1443325072160.jpg (60 KB, 480x486) Image search: [Google]
1443325072160.jpg
60 KB, 480x486
>>60265209
Her vocals fit the style of her music and the lyrics are great
>>
>>60267065
Jeff Mangum also sings like a retard so there's that.
>>
oh wow this thread is shit
>>
>there's a constellation called ursa major, known as the "big bear"

I love that it took me years to realize that. There's always something new to learn about the lyrics and themes of this album.
>>
>>60265209
Post your chart, OP. Oh wait, you're just shitposting
>>
>>60265209
I'm listening to it right now.
HOOM is better, but this albums just seems to have gentleness to it that I really enjoy, also that short part with Bill Callahan's vocals on Only Skin.
>>
>>60268524

Ys gentle? I dunno, I'd maybe do some reading on what went into the making of that album because that thing is anything but gentle.
>>
>>60265209
Joanna Newsom is fucking amazing. Diver's is definitely on my top 10 for the year. I'm surprised that people can honestly say she's corny or a hack.
>>
>>60268653
>implying op isn't shitposting
>>
>>60268627
>anything but gentle.
How so?
>>
>>60268775
I'm not him, but Joanna was very adamant about the way she wanted the album to end up. Personally I think Ys is one of the best examples of an artist with a creative vision, seeing it through from beginning to end exactly the way that she thinks it should be done. The more you read about what went into the creation of the album, you'll really be amazed by not only the detail that went into it, but how passionate about it she was.

http://www.thewire.co.uk/in-writing/interviews/joanna-newsom.1
http://arthurmag.com/2010/01/28/forty-six-strings-and-some-truths-a-conversation-with-joanna-newsom-2004/
>>
>>60268871
Oh and my point is that her confidence in doing the album exactly the way she wants to do it may come off as seeming not gentle. For instance recording her vocals, harp, and string sections/orchestras all to tape, mixing to tape and then mastering to tape might not seem that "gentle" to the audio engineers involved who have to deal with that.
>>
>>60268904
Well I was talking purely about the final result.
It's an album I like to play at night before going to sleep.
>>
>>60268990
Oh yeah I agree, I was just guessing about what the guy might have meant by that
>>
>>60267004
wow that's so interesting considering there's not one good line of poetry on the whole piece of shit
>>
File: 1445364355707.jpg (48 KB, 680x548) Image search: [Google]
1445364355707.jpg
48 KB, 680x548
>>60267065
back to tumblr with you
>>
>>60266965
yo van dyke parks worked with her on this album you flog
>>
>hate the instrumentation
Fantastic melodies but not everyone is into only acoustic I guess
>hate her voice
It's an acquired taste
>hate the lyrics
Are you dumb?
>>
>>60266676
>I want to make sure you can at the very least grasp the level of complexity of what she's doing
There is no complexity. Having some running themes and making thinly veiled references is not complex, it's writing 101.
>>
>>60269142

Oh hey I'm that guy, and i kinda meant in relation to the work put into making it but also in terms of content, the whole thing is about a really, really, really fucked up and tumultuous time in her life, such that she specifically made it in a way to deal with immense trauma and shift during that time period for her and so saying it's 'gentle' kinda ignores almost all of the themes running throughout the album
>>
>>60270158
The lyrics are delivered in such a way along with the music.
In to contrast to let's say Beth Gibbons vocals conveying as much anguish as the lyrics themselves.
>>
File: fRarBfi.gif (288 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
fRarBfi.gif
288 KB, 250x188
>>60267076
>>60266910
>>60266842

So if we just enjoy her music on a musical level we're not doing it right.

If we enjoy her music on a cerebral level and try to talk about it we're also not doing it right.

OP is a perfect example of an idiot complaining about something he clearly does not understand but somehow to point this out is easily countered by all of us just trying to look intellectual.

You're a dumb bitch and so is OP
>>
I'm not liking all this recent Newsom hate
>>
>>60272276
I do, it makes me feel like a cool contrarian for liking her
>>
File: tk.jpg (421 KB, 1080x1918) Image search: [Google]
tk.jpg
421 KB, 1080x1918
i've heard two newsom albums and at the end of both albums i felt like i wasted my time. really boring music and her godawful voice doesn't help.
>>
>tfw all the good seats are sold out in boston
>tfw people reselling the good seats upfront for $200

Goddamn it. I just wanna see her live so bad.
>>
Pleb
>>
>>60272354
I had nobody to go with so I'm going alone, but I'm happy I'm gonna see her

Good luck getting tickets
>>
tbqh I don't like Ys nor HOOM, but I admittedly haven't delved into them as much as it's probably required to enjoy such dense music. That being said, Divers has such magnificent songwriting that makes me believe that same skill exists in the other two albums.

Maybe Divers is just that much accessible. I hear finished songs, with clear stories, themes and purposes, not just looong 15m similes about bears, with highbrow words and long winded song structures. The instrumentals might be as good as in Divers, but they just don't have the same impact in me.

Thoughts? Is the complexity/length of her previous albums an obstacle to enjoying them? HOOM has shorter songs but I still can't quite point out their theme or any favorite of mine. They didn't stick?
>>
some of the retards on this board actually unironically complain when they don't like an artist

like why the fuck would you want my help just because you don't like Newsom
>>
>>60272333
shit taste and even shittier cat
>>
>>60269338
>So, with the courage of a clown, or a cur
>Or a kite, jerking tight at its tether
>In her dun-brown gown of fur
>And her jerkin of swansdown and leather

>Bear would sway on her hind legs;
>The organ would grind dregs of song, for the pleasure
>Of the children, who'd shriek,
>Throwing coins at her feet
>Then recoiling in terror.

>There’s a light in the wings, hits the system of strings
>From the side, where they swing —
>See the wires, the wires, the wires
>And the articulation in our elbows and knees
>Makes us buckle and we couple in endless increase
>As the audience admires

>Awful atoll – O, incalculable indiscreetness and sorrow
>Bawl, bellow: Sibyl seacow, all done up in a bow
>Toddle and roll, teethe an impalpable bit of leather while yarrow, heather and hollyhock
>Awkwardly molt along the shore
Etc.
>>
>>60265209
Van Dyke Parks a shit, no shit.
>>
I listen to a LOT of music and this is one of if not my favourite album of all time.
There are people that like it and it seems your just not one of them. That's fine. But if you truly 'get' this album then you'll just keep coming back to it and you'll realise the staggering beauty of it.

Ah well I guess I'm just happy coz I'm seeing her tonight in London :)
>>
>scrap of sassafras, eh Sisyphus?
/thread
>>
>>60273478
English major here, can confirm that taste is obviously subjective but I study what makes good poetry and this hits the mark.
>>
>>60274791
I don't know what this means but I like that bit
>>
>>60265209
Are you trying to prove that you are some special snowflake on this board that sees through the bullshit? Congrats sir, you have achieved true intellectualism! Collect your complementary fedora on the way out the door you cunt
>>
>>60273214
Ys was a bit of a grower for me, but that makes it ridiculously re-playable. maybe give it a few more listens
>>
File: 1432063913071.jpg (41 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1432063913071.jpg
41 KB, 200x200
>>60268439
>chart
literally no one with taste has one
>>
>>60274791
>>60274817
basically she's choosing random words which rhyme
she does that a bit
>>
>>60275385
>choosing random words
no
>choosing words that rhyme
yes
>>
>>60273478
sounds like some shit heinrich heine would write... idk that shit sounds so garbage and pointless to me
>>
>>60275429
>choosing random words which rhyme
yes
>>
>>60273214
I think the conciseness, hookiness and catchiness of Divers makes it more accessible, yeah. My favorite is Ys, and the difference between Ys and Divers for me is the peaks and valleys. On Divers at any given moment I'm usually waiting for the best parts of the songs to come, whereas on Ys I thoroughly enjoy everything in-between the best parts. Which is pretty important for enjoying Ys, since the songs are so long. So yeah the denseness and lengthiness can be an obstacle, but once you're into them I think they're an asset.
>>
>>60275493
You're like one of those people that think any time language is being used unconventionally it is gibberish.
>>
>>60275935
no
I'm one of those people who's no stupid and gullible enough to think anything is a deliberate art
>>
>>60275991
>thinks art has to be deliberate
LOL
>>
>>60275998
we were literally only debating her intention you enormous retard
>>
>>60276018
>thinks she intended to use random words in her songs
LOL
>>
>>60276033
it's very obvious that she did
I don't know if this is supposed to be funny or...?
>>
>>60275385
do you think she sat with a rhyming dictionary and picked out words with a blind fold on and made lines out of them?
>>
>>60275385
sassafras doesn't rhyme with Sisyphus

Also she's clearly comparing the person to Sisyphus, because right before that line she's talking about the person "clambering" up the mountain side. Sassafras, because she's "hungry for anything" and picking through her pockets. Why she chose sassafras specifically is probably because of the syllabic and consonant similarity between sassafras and sisyphus. The first two syllables of both words are S, followed by F (in Sisyphus it's a PH but it's the same sound), followed by another S.
>>
>>60276092
well yeah more or less. She at least chose "fairytale" words
>>
File: 1440378084879.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
1440378084879.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>60276089
>I can't make sense out of these lines
>therefore there is no sense in these lines, not to me nor to the writer herself
>>
>>60276101
it's called internal rhyme

>>60276110
you would literally believe anything she wrote had an intended message
Ithat's so stupid
>>
>>60276101
>Why she chose sassafras specifically is probably because of the syllabic and consonant similarity between sassafras and sisyphus.

lol this is literally exactly what I'm saying

in your explanation you had to concede "ok she just chose this word for the rhyme"

I can't believe you don't see that you're agreeing with me
>>
>>60276133
>it's called internal rhyme

No it isn't
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_rhyme

Sassafras doesn't rhyme with sisyphus. None of the vowels match up whatsoever in any part of the words.

Sassafras
Ah-Uh-Ah

Sisyphus
Ih-Yh-Uh
>>
>>60276150
choosing word for the rhyme =/= random sentences with no logic or intended purpose

dude... is this bait?
>>
>>60276133
>clarifies something that another poster points out
>doesn't engage with their point in any way

also, no I wouldn't; I'm just trying to understand your logic which is exactly what I stated before, just because you don't find meaning in what she said does not mean there is none, I concede that of course even if I do find meaning, it doesn't mean mean that there objectively is any.

I really don't want to start arguing over the philosophy of meaning itself on this anime imageboard but please understand you've made a sweeping statement that is very arrogant.
>>
>>60276172
excuse me but I believe Uh=Uh so that's a rhyme

oh my god why does no one on the internet know what fucking words mean

You might be right that the sibilance is the main effect

>>60276180
choosing words only for the rhyme = random sentences with no logic or intended purpose

dude... are you fucking retarded?

>>60276188
I'm so sorry I didn't engage with your reaction faces
>>
>>60276150
you've implied in all your posts that she is choosing words that have a flow to them but that she sacrifices some kind of artistic integrity for this, care to explain?
>>
>>60276150
Your reasoning is that she flippantly through the word sassafras into her song because it rhymed (not true by the way) with another word. My reasoning is that she needed a word with showed how the character was desperate for food, and that she was willing to eat scraps of some leaf or whatever to satiate herself. Now at this point she could choose any kind of plant, but because of her lyrical skill she chose a word that matches of syllabically, consonantly and rhythmically with the following words and maintains the rhythm of previous lines.

>>60276223
excuse me but I believe Uh=Uh so that's a rhyme
Neither words match up those vowels at any points. Just because they both have those vowels doesn't mean they rhyme. For isntance, "obvious" doesn't rhyme with "cow".
>>
>>60276224
she sacrifices writing something with a real message - having to choose words from a very specific lexicon which also rhyme leaves her no room to write anything meaningful

I love Ys but in the worse-written parts you just can't take the lyrics for anything more than an instrumental part
>>
>>60276223
choosing words for rhymes =/= choosing words ONLY for rhymes,

sidenote: I meant engage with the poster that broke down the actual line, I hadn't seen that you had replied whilst I was typing my post
>>
>>60276223
lmao?

If I wanted to say "this anon dude is an idiot" but instead used a synonym of idiot that rhymed, how would it change the purpose of the original sentence?

>"hey anon dude,
>are you actually retardude?"
>>
>>60276262
Concept albums like this one aren't written with a single specific message that encompasses the entire piece.

The lyrics are describing a story, a series of events. It's not conveyed clearly but there is coherence and a lyrical theme beyond "rhyming"
>>
>>60276262

You literally don't understand it.
>>
>>60265209
>there are people on /mu/ who think this is a valid criticism of an album that raises some good points
>>
>>60276263
I did engage with him in another post. His explanation of the line accepted that sassafras was meaningless

>>60276262
internal rhymes don't need to come in particular parts of the line
also I have no idea how you pronounce "obvious" and "cow" lol

>Now at this point she could choose any kind of plant, but because of her lyrical skill she chose a word that matches

Yeah I was always happy to accept this much meaning but sassafras has a lot of mythological connotations which are not being used, and choosing a random rhyming plant is kind of unsatisfying

>>60276322
it describes a story through most of the album but the occasional line really does contribute nothing to the story, because the occasional line is written only to sound nice

>>60276342
>m-muh smart person music
>>
>>60276358
>accepted that sassafras was meaningless
>"Sassafras, because she's "hungry for anything" and picking through her pockets"

An example of the extent of your ignorance, is english definitely your first language?

Yes he does say that she intended to use the word sassafras to give flow to the sentence, this does not mean that the word contributes nothing in conveying the story to you.

The word has a meaning.
The meaning adds to the description of a character in the story.
At the same time as this, she adds to the flow of the writing, by choosing a word that sounds a particular way.
Many of the greatest poets did this.
>>
>>60276462
>An example of the extent of your ignorance, is english definitely your first language?
stopped reading there tbqh
>>
>>60276358
>His explanation of the line accepted that sassafras was meaningless
No it didn't. The meaning is to show that she's desperate for food. Which is a direct contradiction of one of the major themes of the album, fertility, harvest and excess (ever wonder why all those plants and the scythe are on the album cover?).

>internal rhymes don't need to come in particular parts of the line
There is certaintly no internal rhyming going on between the words Sisyphus and sassafras. Internal rhyming has to do with words that rhyme within different lines. Not disparate vowels within two words.

>sassafras has a lot of mythological connotations which are not being used, and choosing a random rhyming plant is kind of unsatisfying
To focus on the use of a single word within a 17 minute long song so densely packed as Only Skin is ridiculous and reaching. Just her use of matching up syllables, consonance, rhythm and thematic relevance to the main themes of the album is already more than what most lyricists do in most of an entire verse, yet somehow you choose to criticize it now because it doesn't also have some mythylogical connotations as well. You're reaching.
>>
>>60276262
Of all her albums Ys is the one where she doesn't do this. She repeatedly breaks flow and changes the arrangement to say what she wants to say. Every line has meaning and purpose and none of used to just get to the next one.

This is not the case on Divers, HOOM, and MIM though she never does this to the point where it's offensive on any of her albums, she's easily the best lyricist writing music right now.

Still to single out Ys for that makes no sense.
>>
>>60276490
Ok don't read it, I'll direct you to >>60276525

so that you can understand why you're wrong.
>>
>>60276525
>The meaning is to show that she's desperate for food.
not enough meaning, different plants do not mean the same thing

>Internal rhyming has to do with words that rhyme within different lines. Not disparate vowels within two words.
unambiguously wrong. Look it up

>To focus on the use of a single word is ridiculous
no

>>60276561
he's wrong
>>
>>60276601
"no"
argument of the year 10/10 would debate again

the arbiter of meaning has arrived
>>
File: image.jpg (443 KB, 3300x3140) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
443 KB, 3300x3140
>>60276601
>not enough meaning

This is the most bullshit pedantic argument I've ever seen used against her.
>>
File: 1440455563433.jpg (31 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1440455563433.jpg
31 KB, 400x400
>>60276601
>not enough meaning
>didn't reach the right quantification of meaning desu
>was 50kg less meaning than what makes a good line
>hopefully next time she will include extra meaning in her song
4/10
>>
>>60276601
you first said there was no meaning and now there's not enough meaning?

D A M A G E C O N T R O L
>>
>>60276601
>not enough meaning
>no
To suggest that every single word in a 17 minute long song must have a exorbitant amount of thematic content is ridiculous. The reason I say "exorbitant" is because there is already clearly some meaning (both in the direct implication that the character is desperate for food, but also in the way it contrasts with the main themes of the album of harvest and fertility), but somehow this isn't enough.

To sum it up: you have set out to argue that her use of a word was meaningless. In reality that one single word in a 17 minute long song has major relevance to the character's plight, major thematic relevance to the entire album, and rhythmic, syllabic and consonant relevance to the preceding and following lines. To argue that this is "not enough" is ridiculous. If it were the entire song in question, maybe (but not really), but for one word it is literally more thought out and meaningful than most short songs.

>unambiguously wrong. Look it up
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/internal-rhyme
>>
File: 1386334054275.jpg (448 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1386334054275.jpg
448 KB, 3840x2160
>this faggot getting BTFO
Of all the things you could've shitposted about you just had to pick her lyrics. You fucked up, son.
>>
>>60276794
>http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/internal-rhyme

no anon, you don't get it; this guy is the one that decided not only what things mean but "how much meaning" they have.
>>
File: Bob_Dylan_-_Blonde_on_Blonde.jpg (141 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Bob_Dylan_-_Blonde_on_Blonde.jpg
141 KB, 300x300
>>60276788
that was clearly hyperbole the first time I said it, no need to get autistic

>>60276861
this board is getting a little too autistic right now

>>60276794
I'm looking at your definition
>a rhyme created by two or more words in the same line of verse.
this agrees with me. I don't get why people post definitions that disagree with them?

also a songwriter who is actually good (pic) chooses the best word at every point, not just any rhyming plant
>>
I just read an article from a while ago where she said that the only part of Ys that was created and fictionalized for the purpose of completing the song was the last line of Only Skin. Everything else, words, instrumentation, everything was done with extreme attention to detail

One of the major things about the album though is that she coded it an intensely personal way, so as to hide some of the trauma bared on it from the listener and keep it for herself. So I can see where people might be coming from, but they're literally just wrong if they're gonna say that the album is filled with fluff words. I'd go find the interview if I wasn't sure it'd be met with a casual dismissal and assertion that newsom was just lying about it, or something
>>
>>60276931
>n-no I didn't mean it like that!

>proceeds to name-call everyone calling him out on his bullshit like the big intallumectual babby he is

no but really, this was quality bait
>>
>>60275446

Okay so what poetry do you like?
>>
>>60276931
pffffft I love Dylan but he's the king of putting random words in his songs just because they sounded cool.

You sincerely have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
Big furry paws and liked to howl
Great big furry back and furry hair
Ah, think I’ll call it a bear

aah pure poetry, definitely not something a 9 year old would write

I love Bob but ALL his work is not lyrical perfection.
>>
>>60276931
>that was clearly hyperbole the first time I said it, no need to get autistic
How about the second and third time? Don't move goalposts.

>this agrees with me. I don't get why people post definitions that disagree with them?
No it doesn't. Sassafras and Sisyphus don't rhyme. Your claim is that they rhyme internally, which doesn't make sense because internal rhyme has to do with words within a line or lines, not the disparate vowels between two words.

My guess is that you'll argue that they do internally rhyme because they're both in the same line. That is a tautology, because it assumes that they rhyme normally in the first place (which they don't), and is circular reasoning. They don't rhyme normally, they don't rhyme in your convoluted understanding of what internal rhyme is, the two words just don't rhyme.

By the way you probably shouldn't use Bob Dylan as an example.
>>
>>60277077
>pffffft I love Dylan but he's the king of putting random words in his songs just because they sounded cool.

That's the point. That post was some pretty obvious bait.
Also, Dylan didn't do that nearly as much in his acoustic era.
>>
>>60276262

>you can't say meaningful things in verse which makes use of any sort of rhyme scheme

Wow... people are seriously fucking retarded on here.

Read Dante or something you dumb faggots.
>>
>>60277106
to
>>60276931
>>
>>60276601
>unambiguously wrong. Look it up

I think you're confusing internal rhyme with half-rhyme
>>
>>60277127
>you can't say meaningful things in verse which makes use of any sort of rhyme scheme

literally where did anyone imply or state this?

and I have read the Divine Comedy, it was excellent.
>>
>hurr durr, I listen to music in order to feel like an edgy teenager for liking pretentious wank
Wew lads, and in order for my bait to be complete, her voice sounds like absolute shit (caused me pain the first time I heard it).
>>
>>60278142
2/10
>>
>>60278142
>I was only pretending to be retarded

You did a great job.
>>
>>60266910
>You have to understand the music and be able to talk about it intelligently with actual people.

No you really don't. haha You sound like the boring fucking cunt that thinks he's so "intelligent" because he tries to discuss music on some deep fucking level. You're a fucking wanker m8 and you don't even realize it. LMAO
>>
What album should I start with if I'm new to Joanna Newsom?
>>
>>60278963
Ys.
>>
>>60278963
Depends on what you think of her voice. If it's too strident for you on MeM or Ys, then check out HOOM (or Divers, I guess. This is the first time I've had to recommend how to start out with Joanna since Divers came out and I kind of forgot Divers was an option). Otherwise, I'd say check out Ys.
>>
>>60279053
>>60278995
Thank you's!
>>
>>60266999

They do it every day on this board

nice trips tho
>>
>>60277154
nope

>>60278238
yeah that wasn't my post I wasn't really baiting

the people you're talking to get replaced so often it's a bit of a retarded brick wall
>>
>>60277127
>very specific lexicon
I do enjoy poetry I'm just saying Newsom's is sometimes bad
She makes up for a lot with her voice
>>
>>60272354
Same with me, but i just bought tickets yesterday cuz I have to see her. Theyre kinda shit seats, but at least im seeing her
>>
Emily might just be my favorite song of all time. It's a rough 12 minutes of sheer perfection. Joanna's lyrics and VDP's arrangements never fail to send shivers through my body.
>>
>>60276552
>She repeatedly breaks flow and changes the arrangement to say what she wants to say.

Some people don't like that. If it doesn't fit a song, it makes it look the the artist was trying hard to be poetic, wrote something that didn't fit the rhythm of the song, but shoehorned the lyric in anyway to be profound. Usually, that comes off as amateurish and pretentious, like an artist is willing to compromise how a song sounds to impress people with their lyrics.

I'm not saying that Newsom was doing that. I'm only listening to the album for the first time because of this thread. But halfway through the first song, I can see how people get the impression she's faking profundity.
>>
>>60267065
Just because someone's singing is nontraditional doesn't make it good or equal to every other nontraditional voice out there. Trevor Powers' scratchy androgynous belts sound a lot different than me making farting noises into a microphone.
>>
>>60266505
>>60266810
chicago?
>>
>>60266842
>people only praise X because they want to look cool/smart/intellectual etc etc
THIS IS A NON-CRITICISM, AND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING BUT PROJECTION

ANYONE WHO SAYS THIS SHIT IS A LEGITIMATE FAGGOT

OK I'VE FINALLY PUT IT TO REST YOURE WELCOME
>>
Joanna Newsom fans are just as bad as Lana del Rey fans.
>>
Ys is good but can be a tough listen, Milk Eyed Mender is the shizz tho
>>
>>60279796
No way, Ys is silky smooth bruh. MEM is a little basic feeling in comparison since that came out, not that thats much of a criticism. HOOM is great but too much for my boipussy, and Divers feels like a sequel to Ys. So based.
>>
>>60280213
Tbh I feel Divers is closer to HOOM, but maybe that's just me. It's much denser and more explosive though. HOOM is still my favorite album of her's, it is simply stunning all the way through.
>>
well, i like it

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>60279796
Reverse that
>>
>>60265209
cool opinion but i disagree
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>tfw just left joannas concert just now
i was so tempted to get the stage hand to give me her water bottle after but there was a massive black guy standing there next to the stage so i was too scared
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.