[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
File: R-5371492-1391729630-8341.jpeg.jpg (88 KB, 551x545) Image search: [Google]
R-5371492-1391729630-8341.jpeg.jpg
88 KB, 551x545
Point and laugh at the other thread edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for DAW descriptions and other contributions
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.
Remember to check other people's clyp.it links to keep the thread healthy.
>>
>>60249051
>Point and laugh at the other thread edition
more like wince and shake your head, what a shitshow lol
>>
Are there any filter (or EQ?) VSTs that noticeably colour the sound?
I'm going for an exaggerated vintage vibe and I've already got some nice reverbs and delays and saturators for it (though saturation recs would be welcome too, currently using tb_Ferox and FerricTDS) so I figured if I could add some character during tonal adjustments as well, that'd be swell.
Btw, I just noticed that for thick saturation it's better to stack effects than to throw all the knobs all the way up on one instance. Keeps it soft even if you get downright stupid with it.
>>
>>60249274
pultec-style emulations
>>
https://clyp.it/tpcnryo3
At what point would you say this goes from stupid to completely retarded? I'm running out of ideas where to go, should probably cut something off and turn back. Or just scrap this.
>>
any1 here uses Analog 4 + Overbridge?
>>
>>60249274
Sonimus do some good-uns, I like Burnley73 by them (a neve 1073 style eq w/ saturation) but they also do SonEQ (pultec style) and Sweetone (simple tilt eq that I like for simple high/low pass jobs)
>>
>>60249463
>>60249356
Thanks, I'll check that stuff out.
>>
idk I never get to finish anything
what do you think? I clearly need some break before the last sentence but that's what I got from yesterday

https://clyp.it/qlov31ez
>>
>>60249511
I'm checking out SonEQ first since it's free and I kinda like it, but why would you want a separate bass boost and bass attenuate knob?

I should definitely get in the habit of using EQs without visuals more often, anyway.
>>
Using ReWire, can audio be transmitted to the Slave?
>>
>>60249595
Honestly, I liked the intro best. The groove was fine. But then the lead's pretty boring melodically and sonically, plus it's way too loud.
>>
>>60249744
look up how a pultec eq works, it's really simple but very effective
>>
>>60249274
Fabfilter Saturn
>>
>>60249846
as lead I was thinking of something like eurodance from 2000, but most of these songs used vocals patch and I dont really know about that (the iconic d'agostino)

also Im trying to use the default staff that live intro gives you, so no fancy synth

anyway thanks for the headsup gonna find something more exiting for the lead part
>>
>>60249744
>The most common question we get asked about our Pultecs is "Why both a boost and a cut knob in the lows?". We don't know why it was designed that way for sure. It was designed in the 1930's by Western Electric to improve music fed through telephone lines. We believe it was done this way because it was the most practical in a simple passive design. This was before op-amps and Baxandall type cut / boost circuits were common. We do know that most engineers do use both knobs at the same time. Cutting a bit, boosting a bit, and the combination gets the fat bottom they turn to the Pultec for.

>"Wouldn't they just cancel out?" No, the shapes of the cut and boost are different and the result typically is boosted lows and a dip in the mids but it depends on the relative settings. The slope of the low boost tends to be steeper as well. We included a few pages of response curves to clarify this for you.

http://www.manley.com/public/uploaded/media/PULTEC%20manual.pdf
>>
>>60249939
>>60249856
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>60249595
It's okay to post babby's first attempt to use a DAW here but you might want to practice a little more.

Not saying it sucks but it is pretty embarassing.
>>
File: 1323373811465.jpg (97 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1323373811465.jpg
97 KB, 800x800
>tfw anon think monophonic means mono midi signals
>>
>>60250011
I literally made that in 20 minutes and posted to keep the thread alive, but yes I realize it sucks and that's the reason I posted it, because it's strange: after so much music, avant-gard shite(listened in my life), I dont really know anymore what could get "good" and what is just plain shit (not that what I posted is anything more than bare bones)

plus I just realize that in the headphones it sounded completely different

the thing is, I've many other projects, better for sure, more fun to listen to (for me), but they seems WAY more a jam (as in a rock live jam) than an edm song. I think I should stick to one genere, find out whats the structure and just repeate it

I feel like I should apologize for posting that instead of something more refined
>>
>>60250151
>trying to start this up in a second thread because of how badly you got shit on
truly pathetic
>>
I have a $500 budget currently, I'm looking to get some monitors and would not mind waiting and adding to the budget if $500 won't cut it. If $500 is sufficient, are there any models that could be suggested to me? I've done my own research on what's available but opinions vary greatly and would love to hear suggestions.
>>
can someone tell me how to gate my reverb in logic?

i just want it triggered when a sound is being sent to it and then for it to cut off after. i saw a tutorial video for this once long ago but i cant find it and it was for ableton anyway
>>
Has anyone bought the Push 2 yet?
>>
>>60250998
but it was so easy
>>
>>60251342
yes, it is easy to say say things that are dumb on the internet.

maybe aim a little higher in life though?
>>
>>60251299
side chain the gate to the reverb?
>>
>>60245132
Call me a grapeless fox but I think it looks lame. You can do all that stuff with ableton, a mouse and a midi controller. You don't have to worry about time consumption if your studio is yours, so you can make sure you 'take time to perfect the beat'.

Looks like the only reason of real weight I'd want it for is for (live) performance and improvisation.

>of course this doesn't mean that I wouldn't buy it if I was swimming in spare $$$
>>
>>60249595
>https://clyp.it/qlov31ez
up the bass and give the bass some pretty agressive distortion, make it more sophisticated and more the focus of the song, more aggressive in general
>>
>>60251666
a la Justice
>>
File: 1323447731554.jpg (31 KB, 608x448) Image search: [Google]
1323447731554.jpg
31 KB, 608x448
>>60251384
>being this butthurt
>>
>>60251134
You could save up a bit then wait until black friday, and buy some Yamaha HS8s.
>>
>>60250151
Monophonic literally means it can only play one note at a time. Like a trumpet for example, obviously ignoring any enharmonic equivalents or harmonic content of said note/timbre.

What the heck are you >implying.
>>
>>60251666
Also just try to make the track more agressive in general, maybe vary the rhythm and/or use some type of swing a little to make it slightly more inconsitant and therefore more interesting
>>
>>60251738
>"butthurt"
>epic reaction memez
and the sad, sad attempt rages on
>>
>>60249833
>insert slavery kneegrow joke her

lmao
>>
>>60251914
also use a wider range of instruments in a wider range of octaves for the lead
>>
>>60251820
he's talking about the last thread where somebody was under the impression that maschines could only send one note at a time and i said something along the line of that i didn't have one but was pretty much sure that they didn't just send "mono midi signals" thinking it would be a totally uncontroversial and easy enough to understand comparison, but then this guy and some other memesters decided to go fucking ballistic over it and act like i didnt know what midi was.

it's like they don't know that mono and poly are actually just prefixes lol
>>
>>60251781
The HS8's were my first thought, I was just gonna save and get them but I totally forgot about black friday. I want to find somewhere to listen to them for myself first though. I appreciate your suggestion.
>>
>>60251666
also used a pitch wheel
k I'm done

also 666 get, I give the advice of satan, you really have to follow it now
>>
>>60251666
>>60252009
>>60251914
>>60251969
thanks m8
>>
What's your workflow /prod/?
>>
>>60251985
JESUS PLEASE NO MORE SHITPOSTING

basically softsampler > hardsampler
>>
>>60251986
Check out EquatorAudio's D8s. Got dat flatness. Too bad it's ported but it likely has the best midrange clarity so it's great for the price.
>>
File: 1325073930510.jpg (10 KB, 324x278) Image search: [Google]
1325073930510.jpg
10 KB, 324x278
>>60251920
>actually replying

jesus, you really are an idiot
>>
>>60252085
>JESUS PLEASE NO MORE SHITPOSTING
>goes on to restate exactly what started all the shitposting
christ don't you 16 year olds have a mall to hang out at or something?
>>60252105
>you fell into my epic ruseman's trap! it's like you can't even feel the puppet strings which i am using to control you! jimface.jpg XDDD
>>
>>60252133
>christ don't you 16 year olds have a mall to hang out at or something?
>not getting irony
dude
ur retarded
>>
>>60251985
I see. Thanks for putting me up to speed on the latest /prod/ drama, pham. Kek
>>
>>60252157
>not getting irony
what do you call it when it's the pot calling the kettle black but the kettle actually isn't even black?

because that's what's happening right now lol.
>>
When i play chords with typical synth sounds the lower notes always get drowned out by the higher ones. How do i prevent this from happening? The bass notes always sound like wet noodles
>>
>Mixing Secrets and misc. resources
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production
Can anyone please upload these in another file? Media is making super fucking difficult to download
>>
File: danzig.jpg (70 KB, 500x472) Image search: [Google]
danzig.jpg
70 KB, 500x472
Does anyone know which synths were used to make these songs? It's all 90s stuff, I love how synth strings sound unnatural compared to the actual
Any VSTs out there which produce these kinds of sounds?

Danzig's Black Aria
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYQIulszfDE

Unreal Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26I-Pw-yPJ4

Deus Ex Theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMf4BdVq_g
>>
>>60251590
The whole thing kinda baffles me desu. I can't really imagine myself just flying through that shit on instinct. If I had to perform, I'd probably get good at it eventually, but if I was sitting at my desk with an empty project, I really wonder if this kinda thing would help at all.
I think what I need most is visibility. I want all of my options staring me in the face all the time. Should just buy a huge screen or two.
>>
>>60252673
>desu
I have no idea how this happened.
>>
>>60252629
ROMplers + CD compression. That first track might actually be a wavestation preset, clyp related. The wavestation VST is really nice and it will probaly go on sale for $25 soon.

https://clyp.it/pvnm5xtb
>>
>>60252520
Try getting better speakers and/or headphones.
>>
File: IMG_0351_conv.png (3 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0351_conv.png
3 MB, 1500x1000
>>60252061
>for demos
hardware > 4-track (mixing/fx send) > stereo cassette deck (mixdown)

>for finished tracks
hardware > interface > reaper (mixing/fx send/mixdown)
>>
>>60252673
I used to be about that singlescreen life and felt rather limited but I could get by with 1400x900. Recently my brother got a new monitor for art and gave me the TV he used as a monitor.

Now I'm part of the D U A L S C R E E N B O Y S and I have to say, if you ain't got two screens, you're doing it wrong. Totally worth it.

Can have the file/web browser on one screen to read about theory or import files and the daw in the other. Or, since I use renoise, have the instrument editor on one screen (alt+D) and the DAW in the other. With a 1080p screen I have so much room that I can keep all renoise panels open and still have plenty space in the tracker window.

It's just too good to not have it; never going back. Plus, it looks pro as heck too.
>>
File: controlers.jpg (471 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
controlers.jpg
471 KB, 1000x750
>>60252061
this is how I have my Startup Project setup in ableton, using mostly only the built in plugins.

>Sub-mix via track groups
Drums (sub-mix: Kicks, Snares, HH, Cymbals, Misc Perc)
Bass
Lead
Vocal
Chords
FX

>Returns
Drum Reverb
Short Reverb (post)
Long Reverb 2 (pre)
Short Delay
Long Delay
Saturator/Exciter

>Midi Fighter Twister
used as a glorified channel strip for selected channel/track.
Volume, Pan, 6 Sends, 8 Macros (HPF, LPF, Mid freq, Mid Gain, Comp thresh, Parallel Comp, Side Chain kick activation, Saturation)

>Launchpad Pro
other than launching clips and selecting tracks, it's mostly used to better my sampling workflow right now. This and the Midi Fighter Twister work really well with my sampling workflow.

>Sampling Workflow
Compile multiple acapellas that match key to song into one track in Session View.
Adjust start/stop times around key areas of each sample. Duplicate, Warp, Repitch, Stretch.
Copy/paste all parts into Arrangement View in any order.
Consolidate/flatten.
Slice to midi track
>>
So I've been using FL Studio for quite some time, but I just can't seem to make a legitimately good track. I'd post some of my stuff if you like, but I just want to know how to make some soft electronic, possibly Synth Pop.

I just can't seem to grasp Slicex, or how to make the Vsts sound clear and not muddled.
>>
>>60253341
As far as composition goes, just start by making extremely cheesy pop music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDnM2vzCrdI

As for sound design, which VSTs are you using and what sounds are you trying to make?
>>
>>60250329
>after so much music, avant-gard shite(listened in my life), I dont really know anymore what could get "good" and what is just plain shit
Same here bra.

Hope no offense was taken
>>
>>60253502
Thanks for the video.

I've using the VSTs that come with FL Studio.

I'd like to make things that give off a https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZPc6WNmjgw , kind of vibe.
>>
Anyone know how to make a Wurlitzer-ish sound?

I only know how to:
>two saw oscillators (one +1 octave)
>AM one into the other
>LP filter that is sensitive to how hard I hit the keys, follows the midi note and heavy filter environment impact

It is close but sounds a little like butt.
>>
>>60253621
If you don't have any experience with synthesis I would recommend downloading a free subtractive synth VST like Synth1 or Oatmeal and play with the presets and mess around with the knobs until you are reasonably comfortable with synths.

There are lots of youtube tutorials for subtractive synths, and you could even try Syntorial.
>>
>>60253323
Beast.

Review on the LaunchPad? Can it be used as a sequencer?
>>
>>60253671
Here's what a real Wurli sound "looks" like.

Looks like a saw wave modulated using... something...
>>
>>60253671
>>60253846
Try FM synths, they are great at EP sounds.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxlOaYJxEoE
anyone here also love watching stuff like this?
just improvised synth masturbation

Also i just moved from fl to ableton and i need some help, should i jsut read the manual or does anyone have some nice youtube tutorials?
>>
How do i into lo-fi production, /prod/?
Are there any good resources i can look up?
>>
>>60254175

if it's a live band, use shure 57's on everything and then run it into the daw
>>
>>60252930
That's not the issue. I'm using JBL LSR 305's which are fairly good monitors.

I know that because of the way humans are "built" higher frequencies sound louder and lower frequencies sound more quiet. But i know that there are effects that work specifically to balance that out.
>>
>>60254008
Sorry, EP?

I have found a decent sounding FM Wurli copy but on lower notes it sound too muddy for for example You're my Best Friend by Queen
>>
>>60254240
>Sorry, EP?
Electric piano.
>>
>>60254226
>I know that because of the way humans are "built" higher frequencies sound louder and lower frequencies sound more quiet. But i know that there are effects that work specifically to balance that out.
compressor?
>>
>>60254175
Just record your finished tune onto tape.
Put the tape into the dishwasher, then dry it (a clothesdryer usually works fine) and record it back to your computer for mastering.

If you want the super knackered sound, do all that after mastering.
>>
>>60253765
It's really good for the price. It probably isn't as 'mouse/keybaord-free" as the push, but it has been really useful.

I know a 3rd party sequencer exists for it, but i haven't tried it.
>>
File: Jian Gomeshi goes on a date.gif (2 MB, 320x323) Image search: [Google]
Jian Gomeshi goes on a date.gif
2 MB, 320x323
>order a Texas Instruments firewire card from some chink ebay page
>$10 shipping included.
>seems too good to be true but w/e good feedback etc
>wait 3 fucking weeks
>package arrives
>it's a fucking VIA chip

serves me right
>>
>>60253187
I actually did hook up a shitty old monitor I had at home, but a) there isn't actually enough room on the desk so it's kinda awkwardly set on some box a meter away and b) it makes scary sparking noises sometimes and I think I had some interference with the speakers when the wires crossed. So I don't tend to dare to use the thing.

I'm definitely figuring something out in this direction, though.
>>
File: 1412344595269.jpg (3 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
1412344595269.jpg
3 KB, 261x195
>mfw listening to paulstretched win98 startup sound
>>
How does one git gud in synthesis to the point where they can hear a certain sound they like and recreate it?
>>
>>60254595
Paulstretch is the greatest thing.
>>
to sub or not to sub, /prod/, pls enlighten me

to spend money on a pair of 3 way monitor with 10" woofers?

or a 2.1 system?

what are the advantages/disadvantages of each system (assuming more or less the same quality, budgeted at around ~$800)

thanks
>>
>>60255038
what 3-way system or 2.1 are you going to get for 800$? just interested
without knowing your room I'd prefer 2.0 because it's much easier to set up, a sub means lots of hassle and an even smaller sweet spot in almost every room
this is coming from someone who uses 2.1 at home
>>
>>60255143

>2.1

Blue Sky International eXo2 Active 2.1

>3 way

M Audio M3-8

$600 each actually
>>
>>60249433
I've tried to with ableton, but it still seems pretty buggy so I haven't been using it as much as I thought I would
>>
>>60249595
come on dude, this fucking sucks
>>
>>60255254
I'd advise against both of these.
I checked the blue sky at a dealer once and it's VERY tiny, don't expect any 'fun' levels coming from that thing. also you need to crossover the sub very high, which makes placement even more critical. I thought the tweeters were kinda harsh and loud so it sounds more 'hi-fi' in direct comparison, but that's just my opinion

a friend of mine uses the M-Audio 3-ways in his living room next to a TV and it's kinda fun to watch movies on them but I wouldn't use them for music production at all.

for that budget you should get some Neumann KH120 and if you really feel the need for it after a while then save up another $800 to get a sub
>>
>>60255426
thanks brah, going to test those at the audio shop here, pretty sure they have them
>>
so first off, I know this is pretty shitty but I'm forcing myself to just finish ideas because I'm tired of noodling on synths and not getting anything structured.

Anyways, I made a beat thing: https://clyp.it/bwk4sobf

Things I know are bad:
mixing - didn't really do any, I made this in a few hours

the stupid choral stuff - threw it in there half as a joke, half because it needed some kind of progression

beat as a whole - cliche as fuck, which was kind of on purpose, some friends were messing around just doing silly freestyles so it's a little tongue in cheek

Really looking for criticisms on structure and sound choice (aka where can I find drums that aren't shit)
>>
>>60255585
That's kind of nice. A lot of it sounds real neat, and the build up and break of the beat was great. That gasping sample does get monotonous real quick, and the same chord progression throughout the whole thing only adds to it.

As for getting better drums, I like to either use drum modules to make my own sounds from scratch through synthesis, or just grab my mic and bang on metallic/wooden/glass objects with a drumstick. You could of course just do the old fashioned way and just sample open drums from obscure recordings, if that suits you better. Just don't buy sample packs from some shitty website, man. You're way better off without it
>>
>>60255821
Thanks, I noticed it got pretty repetitive too so changing up the chord progression is probably a good idea. And yeah, I think I just really liked that sample and just decided to let it play out.

Can I ask what mic you're using? I've been thinking about picking one up to sample stuff but honestly haven't done enough research to know what makes a good one.
>>
>>60253138
if you're still here, why do you have both an interface and a 4 track? Also, what interface is it because I dont think I see one
>>
So I've been working on my mixing, trying to stray away from more experimental sounds to practice something a little more basic.

Feedback would be appreciated, I know the drums need variation.

https://clyp.it/dxqrji5a
>>
File: FW1082_TopLg.jpg (405 KB, 2000x1562) Image search: [Google]
FW1082_TopLg.jpg
405 KB, 2000x1562
>>60257028
I've got a 4-track because it's useful to modify audio with. The cassette tape colors audio in a specific way, and the speed slider is sometimes useful to create things like bendy pads and stuff.

The interface is a Tascam FW-1082, which is that mixer looking thing above the 4-track (pic related)
>>
Lol wtf this video just showed up in my feed. Probably the most pretentious thing I've ever seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcMfithNBYk
>>
>>60256260
Hey not this guy but - there are a ton of different mics for a ton of different reasons at a ton of different prices.

For field recordings, you're going to want to get a dynamic microphone. Some solid brands at reasonable prices are Audio Technica, Sennheiser, Shure, but look around sites like B&H photo and check the reviews to see what people think about them.

You're also going to need something to record it into (a field recorder). I would recommend the Zoom H6 - it's fairly cheap, durable, and has a pretty low noise floor. There are other options though, Tascam has strong options as well.

In the end, it's what sounds best to you, and there are lots of youtube videos that have mic comparisons if you have some models in mind. Currently I use a Rode NTG-3 Shotgun mic for my field recordings, and it's a real powerhouse mic that's very versatile and comes at a low price.
>>
>>60257202

What kind of 4 track is it? I'm wondering if there's a way to record quality analog without a giant reel-to-reel or other expensive stuff.
>>
>>60257044
Also, imagine there's an indie qt singing dreamy vocals over this.
>>
>>60257362
Yamaha MT100II. It can sound pretty good if you use the right tape and record at 2x speed with dbx noise reduction on. It won't come close to how well a high quality reel to reel recording can sound, though.
>>
>>60257349
Cool, I appreciate the recommendations. Not to sound cheap, I totally understand the value of high quality equipment, but is $700 for a mic a "low price"? I genuinely don't know how expensive decent microphones are.

I was looking at the Zoom H5/6 but I guess that wouldn't be good enough as a standalone mic?
>>
>>60257623
Not him but in my opinion the Zoom H6 is excessive in terms of features for what you want. If you're just looking to get into collecting sounds get a Zoom H4N or a Tascam DR-40. They have good onboard condenser mics that do mono or stereo recording, and they have XLR mic inputs for external mics.

You can get a Shure PG48 for $30 for dynamic directional recording (if you want a dynamic for close miking) and you can get a decent Audio-Technica/Nady/etc shotgun mic for $30-$100 as well for focused recording at a distance. Keep in mind that the mic noise and preamps on budget gear mean you want to record closer to sound sources for the best S/N ratio, but if you want quieter stuff you need to spend more.
>>
>>60257623
I work in audio so $700 for a good mic is worth it. If you're just getting into it, I'd say go used (craigslist) and don't spend more than $200. The onboard mics on the zoom is decent (there are a few different attachments, I haven't tried the shotgun yet) but like I said, listen to samples and see what sounds good to you in regards to what you're trying to capture.
>>
>>60257342
I liked it. Never heard a fishmans flip before.
>>
>>60257349
>For field recordings, you're going to want to get a dynamic microphone
no, too much noise
>>
>>60249165
what 'appened?
>>
>>60257832

not that it rly matters but Fishmans sampled that bassline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3utc-lM0nQ
>>
>>60257342
At least he doesn't do that over dramatic pad pushing and constant nose touching. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ck-i2wvRfE
>>
>>60253138
what's the other electribe next to the ES-1?
>>
>>60257044
Maybe try putting a little bit of reverb on the drums, can give it a bit more flow, rather than it each hit sounding separate.
Then yeah some variation would give it an edge, maybe a few drum fills and slight variations on the rhythm as the song progresses.
Pretty cool though, like the structure and where you go with it.

I just always make loops and then have no idea what to do with them... https://clyp.it/sugjfz42
>>
>>60258434
EA-1, but I've also got an ER-1 as well. The EA-1 is probably the worst of the bunch since the filter is a bit thin and there's no envelopes besides the decay knob for the filter. I've just been using it as a sequencer until I picked up the MC-505.
>>
>>60257442

Could you possibly recommend an affordable but quality ReeltoReel? I know they're expensive but it'll help me know what an "entry level" price/machine would be.
>>
Here's two tracks I'm working on right now. Would appreciate some feedback on either.
https://clyp.it/maswipxg
https://clyp.it/o1iclcn4

>>60257044
I'm also learning but here's what I think. I'd go for a more synthetic drum sound. Maybe a 606 or a C78? I'd also like to hear some bass in there. Did you highpass your bassline? Also, all of your sounds are dead center. You could give your mix a lot of strength just by spreading out your synths.

Here's your track with a few adjustments. I added a 606 drum kit, a bassline and gave the mix some width. It might not be the style you were aiming for but hopefully this is helpful to you in some way.

https://clyp.it/pp3fzeqc

Pic related is the process I used to widen your mix.

>>60255585
The sounds have some nice texture and tone, it's a good start but the mix needs a lot of work. I'd try to find some percussion to fill the upper register. Also have some confidence in what you make. Stop apologizing all the fucking time.

>>60254679
Start doing it. Make music using only one synth and try to get all the sounds you can out of it. Think of music like sculpting. In theory, with white noise and an EQ you can make any sound.
>>
>>60258636
Never used or owned a reel to reel myself, just heard recordings made on them. Can't help you with the recommendation, sorry.
>>
>>60258336
>over dramatic pad pushing
oh jesus lol seriously?
>>
>>60257939
a bunch of ridiculousness over people acting like they didn't know what i meant when i said "mono midi signals"

a bunch of other ridiculousness over people trying way too hard to shit on hardware samplers and not believing in preference as a valid reason to use them

also some guys refused to believe i wasn't the author of some shitty clyp because i called them out for posting useless feedback to it

>>60222369 see for yourself if you have any interest in reading over /prod/ shitstorms
>>
https://clyp.it/clcw4sof
Should I cut out the first verse and the second chorus? I just added them in today, but it feels a bit redundant and takes away from the third chorus, plus I'm not sure the flute really works anyway.

Still, I don't even get to 2 minutes without that and I don't wanna change the start or the end.
>>
>>60258936
what are mono midi signals?
>>
>>60259006
oh god please don't start it again.
>>
>>60259006
a guy thought maschine could only play one pad at a time, so i told him "i doubt that maschine can only send mono midi signals"

i'm literally not gonna say anything else to you on the matter if you pretend not to know what i mean by that
>>
>>60258819
cough cough Araabmuzik
>>
>>60259035
i will be nice. i just want to know.
>>
>>60259054
>EVERYBODY STAND STILL AND JUST PUSH THE PAD WITH AS LITTLE FORCE AND WRIST MOVEMENT AS YOU CAN! WOULDNT WANT TO LOOK LIKE YOURE IN THE MOMENT OR ENJOYING YOURSELF OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT!
who made you the fun police?
>>
>>60259052
Maschines can only play one note at a time.
>>
I've been into production for like 4-5 months now.

https://clyp.it/fwfr2ynu

my heart burns for feedback

(pls note that this was made with some1 rapping lyrics over this, i don't consider it to be a standalone track at all)
>>
>>60259097
Lol dude no one is stopping you. It just makes you look retarded.
>>
Why does everything I make turn into elevator music? .-.

I need help, this is not the kind of music I want to be making.

>https://clyp.it/5z4tg0zx
>>
>>60259052
you should have just said 'one midi note at a time' which would have been right. 'mono midi signal' does not make sense.

:^)
>>
>>60258539
Ah, thought the knob layout looked like that. The ER-1 is my next purchase, seems like quite the blip machine. Do you get much mileage out of the Electribes these days?
>>
>>60259109
wut? no.
>>
>>60259136
>It just makes you look retarded.
like criticising performers for showing a modicum of enthusiasm on a turkmenistani poetry forum?
>>
>>60259191
TRY HARDER
R
Y

H
A
R
D
E
R
>>
>>60258336
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=285XRjcgZIs
>>
>>60259219
Yeah, and that's why hardware is better than computer controllers. It's what I was saying yesterday.
>>
>>60259310
Dude, exactly.

But Daedelus gets a pass because I want to hang out with him :\
>>
>>60259384
Same, that mix is fucking awesome.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
114 KB, 1920x1080
worth it?
>>
>>60259359
but maschine is a hardware controller? what is happening?

ah: you wanted to say that you can play several notes with maschine but not with a mouse/trackpad?
>>
>>60259399
if you're into 90s horseshit
>>
>>60259310
>>60259384
man lol what do you guys hate so much about enthusiasm? it's not like he's even making big exaggerated gestures, you can just tell that he actually enjoys what he's doing
>>60259425
oh jesus

guys we might need to just abandon this thread for half an hour and wait for the shrinking attention span of today's youth to solve this problem for us
>>
>>60259399
sure, it's fun
>>
guys where can i get some horrid brass samples

i want that generic trap sound
>>
>>60259461
I love the enthusiasm behind it, I was just making tongue in cheek humor. When I perform live I tend to become a stick, and I'm jealous of those who can let loose.
>>
File: gull.jpg (776 KB, 2272x1704) Image search: [Google]
gull.jpg
776 KB, 2272x1704
>>60259485
I dunno about trap, but I use the pokemon ruby & sapphire soundfont a lot.
>>
I'm checking out the TAL sampler and it's a bit too much for me, but the DAC parameters are pretty cool. I think the Grit Kit library also ran shit through a variety of samplers and it made more of a difference than I could emulate with a common bitcrusher. Are there other sampler emulation plugins out there? Any other treatment to make drums slightly more lo-fi aside than bitcrushing and distortion/saturation?
>>
>>60259200
Mainly just use the ER-1, but the ES-1 gets some occasional use as a drum sample machine because of the effects and sample mangling potential.
>>
how do i make dnb pads

what kind of chords are those
>>
>>60259851
maj7b9#11
>>
>>60249274
thanks, i've never tried that

>>60251985
>>60251820
i wasnt a part of the last thread but technically midi does send near instantaneously, but there will always be some gap between each note

however i will always laugh at people getting confused about monosynths and midi

>>60259613
agreed
great soundfont

>>60259399
there are tons of things to spend your money on that are better than this
that being said, it's not horrible

https://clyp.it/cfd4vdbn
can i get some opinions on this? i'm thinking of using it for a portfolio piece on my application and i want people to tell me how terrible it is
>>
File: 1443237376662.png (154 KB, 276x284) Image search: [Google]
1443237376662.png
154 KB, 276x284
https://clyp.it/ogbavfs1

i suck at trap-ish kinds of beats, someone have some advice on how to suck less at it?

(it's just the basic idea, i didnt adjust levels or eq, so dont give me shit for that yet)
>>
Been working on this, not sure if it's boring or not (still haven't written a section to transition nicely to the ending)

https://clyp.it/i0wbsqey

>>60259662
I used TAL Sampler for the drums and twinkly synth on the above thing (using Linn Drum samples and PPG Wave Bells from the Hollow Sun sample set) into Soundtoys Decapitator.

In terms of saturation, Decaptiator, Disto and SDRR sound great on drums and I love the sound of Decimort on them for bitcrushing, even just using the initial MPC60 preset.

There's a literal sampler emulator vst you could try - Cyclone by Sonic Charge - which runs a firmware developed for the Yamaha TX16W http://soniccharge.com/forum/topic/431?page=all

There's also the plogue bitcrusher/speaker sim shit which might be of interest to you
>>
>>60259952
What are you using for drums? They're the one thing in there I don't like the sound of.

Could be they might just need a bit of spicing up with some nice compression and a little delay

I like the zappa-ish harmonies
>>
>>60260119
hahaha well
theyre the only instrument that arent being played live
i have an electronic drum kit midi controller and i have that going through a logic drum kit designer patch i made and then i quantized the hell out of my playing
the clav is technically generated by logic too but i didnt edit any of the midi data for it

what is it about them you don't like? i'll try to dick around with the compressor

also thanks, zappa's a hero of mine so that means a lot
>>
>>60251985
one midi note contains more that just one (mono) information. you really should read that up.

it was understandable what you wanted to say though and that's the point i guess.
>>
>>60260250
>it was understandable what you wanted to say though and that's the point i guess
yes it was, hence why you shouldnt assume i need to "read up" when the non-note data sent over midi is not relevant to the comparison being made
>>
>>60259873
i don't get it

please help me i want to be like photek
>>
>>60260396
>hey watch out, don't run into that fast thing with wheels
>dude, it's a car, look it up
>>
>>60260039
Thanks, man! Much more informative response than I expected.
>>
>>60260012
I'd say put more syncopation in your beats.
>>
>>60260445
he's memeing you with a random chord that probably sounds like shit
>>60260478
when somebody tells you to "try harder" it means to put in MORE effort than you have been.

now you know!
>>
>>60260541
actually i used the wrong term. I should have said midi event instead of midi note. you could have said something.
>>
>>60260590
>you could have said something
why would i when it was clear what you meant? to do that i'd have to be some kind of pedantic piece of shit
>>
>>60260654
but i like pedantic people. i myself are very pedantic usually.

also cv is way more fun and quicker than midi.
>>
>>60260445
Major 7th chord with a flat 9 and sharp 11 on top.
ex: C E G B bD #F
>>
>>60260541
>he's memeing you with a random chord that probably sounds like shit
It's actually a chord used in stereotype DnB
>>
https://clyp.it/inkm5xqr

THoughs? just made this
>>
>>60260757
>>60260726
huh, so it is

and to atone for my stupidity i'll include the intervals for anyone who wants to throw this into ableton's chord tool without counting it out themselves

+4, +7, +10, +14, +19
>>
>>60261045
I like it. It reminds me of that Hackers movie.
>>
>>60261085
> stupidity
no problem, we all knew what you meant
>>
When making a song. What should be the steps in making the song be? The genre I am going for is Synth Rock. Would this structure be ideal?

Drum Machine
Real Bass Guitar
Synth Rhythm
Synth Lead
Guitar
Effects
>>
>>60262036
>structured workflow
Does that actually work for anyone?
>>
>>60254090
Checkout sadowick ableton production tuts on jewtube
>>
>>60255038
Read the mixing secrets book that is in the OP, in talks about that.
>>
https://clyp.it/inqo4jhm

opinions pls
>>
renoise
>>
>>60263877
when
>>
>>60262036
I usually always start with a drum beat. then either Bass or Chords/Rhythm. The rest all falls into place after those.
>>
>>60252728
"lurk moar"
>>
>>60264633
I'm really happy to be lurking less these days, though.
Shit though, now I need to write "to be honest" in full? Awful desu.
>>
>>60264904
its better to just produce and not waste time here most of the time

sometimes there is a few cool people but rarely
>>
>>60264971
Dude, I'm standing right here.
>>
>>60264904
>>60264971
thats why i put it in quotes, desu everyone can tell what you mean cus the filters are blaringly obvious so just let it make your text funnier sometimes
>>
Anyone know of a good way to learn FLstudio?
>>
>>60265060
read the manual if you don't know the basic stuff

if you know basically how to use the program there is this shit called "fl studio bible" probably you can find as a pdf

I don't like to watch tutorial videos on youtube and stuff I think it is better for to have the pdf/ manual available while youre using the software and just look when you need to understand what something does
>>
>>60263614
>jewtube
Gross, don't bring /pol/words here
>>
>>60265060
How i did it was I watched a few 'how to use fl studio' tutorials on youtube and learned the basics, then fucked around for a few days, then I did >>60265147
>>
Any tips for picking a daw?
>>
>>60265274
Any videos in particular?
>>
lol i suck
https://clyp.it/55ac3z3d
>>
>>60265334
demo them and use them the full 30 days

they all have demos of full version and I think fl studio is unlimited time

for Cubase which is my main daw you need hardware usb for to demo full youd have to demo Cubase elements instead which is cut down version

it really doesn't matter which daw you use though just which one you like to use best
>>
https://clyp.it/cn4xvern

trying to keep it interesting using mainly percs, I would appreciate any thoughts on it
>>
>>60263812
cut the vinyl emulator effect during the intro, or at least turn it down because it's almost obnoxious now. I really like the rest of it though.

>>60265371
turn down the snare a bit or a lot, otherwise it's pretty enjoyable, it is very sparse , but it doesn't sound lacking in anything.
>>
Does anyone have any recommended distortion pedals/racks for using on aux sends?
>>
>>60265340
nah, they all were similar enough, but I did watch a bunch of them , just so I could learn the basics froma bunch of people who had different perspectives, and who might highlight different aspects of the program.
>>
>>60263137
it works for autists.
>>
File: NoDeckRoom.jpg (98 KB, 960x717) Image search: [Google]
NoDeckRoom.jpg
98 KB, 960x717
https://clyp.it/g5n3pqkk
>>make song about work
>>>>im high as shit
>>>>>>rate my set up
>>
>>60259952
hey anon, dunno if you're still here but I really like your song. like >>60260119 said, the drums are okay, the rhythms are fuckin solid but the sound could use a little work, but I love the synth lead and the guitar sounds huge in the beginning which is really nice
>>
One more question about learning FL.
I took music theory classes long enough to learn the basics, but didn't peruse the higher level classes where you'd have to be able to write down any song you could hear and hear any song in your head that's written down. I can read and write music technically, but never got into it enough to be a music major (or even a minor). What I'm asking is, for a hobby, would that leave me crippled? Or does modern music software bypass a lot of Italian vocabulary?
>>
Glad the Lunga's back.
So I've had this acapella of that popular Selena Gomez song for a while and wanted to try messing around with it. (I know...)

https://clyp.it/0234dssi
>>
>>60262036
Specific workflow really depends on the type or piece.

A cover all structure might be:
1) thinking and planning
2) sketching
3) revisiting and re evaluating what you've written.
repeat 2 and 3 until you have your piece written to the duration you want, then
4) go back and add detail, fine tune, polish etc.

each piece should have a unique workflow, some will be written with no planning, some never pass the sketching phase, some might start with a beat, others with a chord progression. Almost all electronic music starts with selecting and refining your sounds, getting the pads, leads, and drums and misc. sounds you want.
Fugues usually start with a subject (melody), larger scale orchestral pieces need to start with planning out how many movements, orchestration overall feels. Choir pieces usually start by choosing a text. Singer songwriter songs can start with chords, or start with words and then write chords and melody to fit the words (often this create more of a connection between the meaning of the words at any given time and the underpinning chord progression). Some pieces might even start with research into the methods or techniques you want to use. Microtonality or maqams or writing for gamelan for example.
>>
>>60262036
>come up with track type
>layer up drums
>make bassline
>strip down drums for different sections
>try to add another synth
>it never sounds right
>cry myself to sleep
>>
>>60267764
Most Programs dont use italian terms, or even sheet music as the predominant tool for writing. Much of it is done in piano rolls where you can draw the notes in.
A few programs include options to display the sheet music. Logic Pro for example. FL doesn't use sheet music or dynamic markings or anything. Its all piano rolls, automation for dynamics, and a playlist to arrange your various parts into a song.
>>
File: 1433470801585.jpg (148 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
1433470801585.jpg
148 KB, 620x620
>>60267779
I took it from this if anyone else just wants open vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/zedd/iwytk-acapella
>>
>>60267841
That's good news!
This'll be a good project for me, thanks.
>>
>>60267764
Cubase can do musical notation but you don't need it

the only Italian terms you will see is shit like portamento on your synths and I don't even know if that's Italian really
>>
File: 03_push2_top_view.jpg (646 KB, 3026x1386) Image search: [Google]
03_push2_top_view.jpg
646 KB, 3026x1386
>>60251590
All of that shit is possible in ableton??

I mean I guess it has to be, since it's just a glorified controller, but...there's no way all that can be done with as much finesse as you can with the Push...can it?
>>
>>60259175
Give the bleepy sounds a bit more punch.
Add a bit of distortion on the string-y sounding thing.
Maybe a bit more pronunciation on the kick.
Maybe cut the piano.

I dig it, tho.
Get someone to spit bars over it in a deadpan voice
>>
>>60262036
Think on what you want to focus on.
Make that (usually either a patch or a drum/303 pattern)
Make thing using that.
Make more thing that fits with thing you made.
Continue to make more thing until thing is done.
Cut as much thing as you can from thing.
>>
>>60267516
>>>>>>>rate my set up
It's a fucking shit tip, tidy your room and throw all those toys away or bag them up and give them to a child.
The pedals and sampler look fun though
>>
File: 1357849000696.png (296 KB, 448x412) Image search: [Google]
1357849000696.png
296 KB, 448x412
>>60269640
>> those toys away or bag them up and give them to a child

I WONT DO WHAT YOU TELL ME MOM
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcu836gydI
>>
Any good torrents with tutorials?
>>
>>60269859
Well at least tidy that up a bit. How the hell do you work in all that mess?
>>
>>60270317
i weirdly place everything in a way where i remember where everything is so its easy to pick up even in the dark. but you is right i could need to tidy
>>
File: 51023948.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
51023948.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>>60267318
Must be popular around here, then.
>>
File: abletontrying.jpg (976 KB, 1920x1048) Image search: [Google]
abletontrying.jpg
976 KB, 1920x1048
hello /prod/

so ive been trying out ableton for a week now and im sort of sad i didnt earlier, also its hard to believe how much time ive spent working in FL. ableton seems to have much easier and handier ways to reach your goals.

any advices for newfella to ableton? so far im only using massive as ive relied on the inbuilt vst in FL. any recommendations?

also i havent really tried the 'live' aspect of ableton live? i believe i can set up multiple loops and have them function as pads while moving around loops in arrangement view, right? ive tried a bit of live playing in the mixer, still dont have the hang of it.
>>
>>60263812
>https://clyp.it/inqo4jhm
>>60266140

this the vinyl emulator sounds too emulated and loud to give the sensation youre trying to achieve. work with it some more but besides that its quite good
>>
GUYS

Do you use pre-made clips/grooves/loops? Do you use like kicks from HIFi packs?(VE) Or do you program everything with a drumsynth?

Is it ok to use clips/loops? So far I've tryied also to do everything by my own but for some reason I cant achieve that groove that premade things has. So is it common? Or should I just ignore them?
>>
>>60271181
i feel like its okay with some really generic ones that have been used millions of times, like that one snare-perc drumnbass fast one, you know the one im talking about.

with more specific ones im always afraid someone will be like, hey i know that loop, its just a preset! so i rrather adjust them or create my own.

its almost the same with synths.
>>
File: wat.png (50 KB, 1079x602) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
50 KB, 1079x602
Can someone help me with pic related?
I had to write it all down in paint because for some arbitrary fucking reason 4chan thinks this post is spam.
>>
>>60271635
the problem is, midi can be set in mono
>>
>>60271660
what? this isn't midi. it's an audio signal
>>
Anyone got audionews invites?
>>
>>60272255
hi
>>
>>60270064
>lamb of god tshirt
i love it when the embed thumbnail lets me know i wont be missing out on anything
>>
>>60271181
If you use premade loops you will always sound generic and never have your own sound
>>
>>60271660
>memesters STILL trying this hard to act like using "mono" to mean "one at a time" is unreasonable
it's getting sadder with every post
>>60271635
>>60271674
ignore the guy who clearly thinks this is his moment in the sun to force a meme, can you put a utility on the track with 0% width and have it play on both sides on 'auto' instead of 'in'? doesn't really do anything about why it's happening but it might work as a bandaid solution
>>
>>60272405
>he doesn't even know how to process samples to a point of being unrecognizable
>>
Can I have a good torrent for FL Studio?
>>
>>60272604
>any of the first torrents on kat or pb

??
>>
File: image.jpg (118 KB, 750x948) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
118 KB, 750x948
What does prod think of these, and why shouldn't I get the mini Jupiter?

Alternatively, what plugin do you dick ride so hard that the thought of somebody using virtual analog hardware makes you intensly angry?
>>
File: bruh.jpg (68 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
bruh.jpg
68 KB, 1280x719
>tfw you think you're good with synths and then the new Neon Indian record comes out
>>
>>60272801
I saw that nigga a couple weeks ago. Good show
>>
File: 1446977363270.png (349 KB, 689x695) Image search: [Google]
1446977363270.png
349 KB, 689x695
>>60272801
>mfw neon indian and flaming lips EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHzfFyizHBM

God I love it so much
>>
Stupid fucking question, but Is there a way to manipulate midi tracks post recording? I can't turn all the knobs i want to while i'm playing on the midi controller.

Or will i have to convert it to audio first and then manipulate the sample?

Using Ableton by the way. I'm new to this.
>>
>>60273026
yes there is. you can turn off the midi overdub and record as many parameter changes as you need to or just manually draw in any parameter change you want with right click and show automation
>>
>>60273026
>record in the midi clip
>play it back while tweaking knobs recording the audio and the automation for what you're tweaking
>if more things need tweaking re-record audio with two new paramaters on your knobs and record that automation as well
>keep doing this until you're done

my process
>>
best vst list
1 izotope trash
2 psp n20
3 rob papen distort
best synth list
1 linplug spectral
2 uhe ace
3 ff twin2

prove me wrong
>>
Anyone know of a VST that emulates vinyl crackle or a good vinyl crackle sample pack?
>>
>>60273133
http://freesound.org/search/?q=vinyl+crackle
>>
>>60259113
snare sounds too robotic and sharp
>>
File: 1429688647252.jpg (19 KB, 353x334) Image search: [Google]
1429688647252.jpg
19 KB, 353x334
r8 my music video pls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y80m5Kmkrv0
>>
Why do people that are just starting off still buy vintage drum machines? I can understand if you find a good deal on ebay or in a pawn shop or something, but fuck - just get a controller and cop the samples of the drum machines.
>>
>>60272577
post your soundcloud faggot, and lets see

kek

faggot noob don't know shit
>>
>>60272743
imo every desktop synth should now be coming with Audio over USB.

other than that they do look pretty sweet
>>
>>60270064
lol what the fuck is this
>>
>>60273492
>finding it hard to believe that somebody could make a sample unrecognizable
and you're calling other people noobs?
>>
>>60272577
Care to give some advice on your technique?
>>
>>60273975
what are plugins
>>
>>60273975
pitch and time shifting, reversing things, bitcrushing and reverb, flangers/phasers/delays, having a return channel with a gate on it and a bunch of effects after the gate, doing any of those things or whatever else you'd wanna do with effects and resampling the loop and playing new patterns with the pieces

there's tons of stuff to do to samples, that's just a quick handful of examples
>>
>>60274080
no need to be a dick about questions that weren't even directed at you
>>60274095
hmm, making this post gives me an idea

anybody interested in a sample flip contest with just a single loop? like not even worrying about making a whole track out of it and everybody just seeing who can mangle a single instance of a single loop the furthest?
>>
>>60267779
>tfw no feedback

just fuck my shit up
>>
>>60273742
not at all, calling you a noob... simply because you think spending time to make a sample unrecognizable is how to establish your 'own sound'
>>
>>60274459
>no sample-based music sounds unique
please say more retarded things so we can all continue to laugh at you
>>
>>60274459
This, t.b.h.

It's pretty baffling to me that to a lot of people, the definition of making their own sound is just drowning other people's music in effects and having a superiority complex over doing so.
>>
>>60274498
pls post a producer that has developed their own sound from using only premade loops.

protip: you can't
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.