[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lou Reed thread? >listen to the velvet underground >in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12
File: lou.jpg (5 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
lou.jpg
5 KB, 300x168
Lou Reed thread?
>listen to the velvet underground
>in love
>discover Lou's solo work
>cum
>>
Talentless hacks general? Lou Reed was shit, couldn't sing, couldn't play guitar, couldn't write songs, was a jew, pretentious and a drug addict. All around terrible person. Glad he's dead.
>>
>>60191513
>couldn't play guitar
>couldn't write songs

ok kiddo
>>
>>60191533
Music is subjective. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>60191547
Okay. It's an objective fact that he made notes and chords come out of a guitar. It's an objective fact that he wrote lyrics and music to songs that were then recorded by a band.
>>
>>60191627
damn......
>>
>>60191627
destroyed that fag
>>
File: 1446617785333.jpg (71 KB, 657x720) Image search: [Google]
1446617785333.jpg
71 KB, 657x720
>>60191513
>couldn't write songs
>>
>>60191679
>>60191640
>>60191627
>samefag
>>
>>60191718
>get rekt
>s-same person!
>>
>>60191627
Literally an infant who has never even heard music could makes notes and chords on a guitar. Lou reed was an idiot, he just made "le so avant garde dude" noise wank on his shit guitar then marketed it as soo cool pop art new york brah andy warhol music that pretentious hipsters ate rigt up. He was a real sneaky jew.
>>
>>60191773
4/10 try harder
>>
>>60191778
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>60191773
>No mentioning John Cale
guess who doesn't know what he's talking about?
>>
>>60191816
Cale is a hack as well, but we're discussing Lou Reed ITT not Cale
>>
>>60191513
>>60191773
>i'm cool
>>
>>60191949
Prove me wrong before resorting to mockery. I've made my case, now make yours.
>>
>>60192018
>make yours
i dont feel like it.
>>
>>60192045
Prove to me your not just parroting opinions you've read from your favourite magazine. Prove to me that Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground aren't just trite vapid pop with le noise andy warhol a e s t h e t i c s layered over top to make it appealing to hip young urban youth market.
>>
>>60192126
do you realize how pretentious you're making this.
>>
File: born2feel.jpg (60 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
born2feel.jpg
60 KB, 746x982
i made a mistake posting this, didn't i?
>>
>>60192193
yes. but good try
>>
>>60192193
you make a mistake every time you post on /mu/
>>
>>60192152
Don't change the subject, just prove to me theres something of value in Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground's music. You won't because you can't, it's shit music you pretend to like because you think it makes you look cool. If you really liked his music you'd just tell why you find it enjoyable , what's valuable about it, but instead you resorting to mocking me, calling me pretentious or strawmanning.
>>
>>60192249
if you tell me this doesn't make you feel happy/comfy/sad/nostalgic/cathartic then I genuinely feel sorry for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK4DeMYtumc
>>
>>60192249
first of,
>i'm not changing shit subjects
second
>since you want to bitch, ok, i like lou reed because he's like a david bowie + bob dylan like person, i love his dark lyrics. i enjoy his singing, really sets a mood, and he's a great guitar player.
>>
>>60192249
not that guy
honestly you sound like a rabid /pol/c u c k using the jewlluminati meme
>>
>>60192293
literally just generic 60's music with andy warhol aesthetics, not good at all. Sure it has "feeling" but so does radio pop country, face it you fell for the biggest scam in all of rock music. If I wanted to listen feel happy/comfy/sad/nostalgic/cathartic I'd listen to The Beach Boys or actual art music. If the meme 'bullshitters turning wank into cash" applied to anyone it's Lou "The Jew" Reed.
>>
>>60192249
I think it is the most influential proto-punk out there. Elements that they helped developed became staples in garage rock and other forms of punk.

WLWH broke barriers in terms of how bands record. They didn't give a shit about the purity of the recording and out came an album that was chaotic and avant-garde yet had a clear direction to it as well as stellar lyricism that set scenes that broke boundaries of morals and codes of the contemporary scene. They challenged norms both musically and lyrically in a way that had its own style.

I could write on and on about why Nico was a great album, but it wouldn't be worth it.
>>
>>60192411
>generic 60's music
>muh real art musique
>muh jewlluminati meme 2x
>>
File: 1446445196820.jpg (20 KB, 245x216) Image search: [Google]
1446445196820.jpg
20 KB, 245x216
>>60192411
you're such a whiny little bitch, but i do prefer beach boys over, well, any other band. and what's with the constant mention of Jew. go back to /pol/
>>
>>60192453
>muh greentext
I can do that too >:)
>>
>>60192411
you're just throwing out words that have no basis. What does generic 60s music mean? 60s could mean Elvis Presley's "Surrender" or it could mean Iron Butterfly's In A Gadda-da-vida. Or it could mean Dylan's Ballad of A Thin Man. Plus, your "Jew'd out of your money" bullshit makes no sense, as Reed made basically jack shit from TVU record sales. Because their sales were basically nonexistent.
>>
>>60192479
I greentexted what you said you dumbass

also see
>>60192469
>>
>>60192419
>They didn't give a shit about the purity of the recording and out came an album that was chaotic and avant-garde yet had a clear direction to it
So they recorded an album as poorly as they could then called it "experimental" and people like you ate it up. The "direction" is entirely created by you, there is no concept the album, you said it yourself- they didn't a shit. I'll give you that it was transgressive for it's time but so was GG Allin and Kiss, you don't see everyone praise those bands like Lou Reed. He was a hack who made hack music and made a career by marketing it to the right audience.
>>
>>60192528
Lou Reed became hugely successful after the Velvet Underground broke up, he was a major star by Transformer. Of course he had a few lost years in between, but all that just adds to persona he was trying to create for himself. Now The Velvet Underground are one of the most critically acclaimed rock bands and are considered mandatory listening for any fan of the genre. I've seen their CDs at Walmart. I'd say Lou Reed ultimately made out quite well for himself.
>>
File: Lou_Reed__1838902a.jpg (81 KB, 620x749) Image search: [Google]
Lou_Reed__1838902a.jpg
81 KB, 620x749
>>60191513
>couldn't sing,
I like his singing voice. Do you want a detached druggie-poet of the streets to sound like Paul McCartney??
>couldn't play guitar
He wasn't a virtuoso, that's for sure, but he was a capable player. Certainly not so bad that it would be a negative trait in his music
>couldn't write songs
Just have to flat out disagree here. He was if nothing else a professional songwriter (that was literally his job before TVU). He knew his way around a basic rock n' roll song, but also knew how to deconstruct and revitalize those tropes and make something more. Songs like Heroin, Venus in Furs, and Lady Godiva's Operation have really creative lyrics and interesting experimental bits that actually work well as listenable music.
>was a jew
so?
>pretentious
maybe, but plenty of great artists have annoying personalities, why does that matter?
>drug addict
see above
>>
>>60191513
>couldn't play guitar
He was a master rhythm guitar player, I wouldn't expect a stupid metalhead idiot like you to understand though.
>>
>>60192728
Yes, Reed did do well, but not because he intended to. He made some records with some other weirdo junkies in new york while some gaudy artist guy promoted their strange experiments and booked them shows. And then people realized that he was talented a few years later.
>>
>>60192778
>implying I listen to metal
ahahhaha get over youself. Last time I listened to metal was when I was 12. I'll admit I play a Black Sabbath album every once in a blue moon though.
>>
did this guy get beat up by a velvet underground fan or something
>>
>>60192815
you probably butthurt over lulu.
>>
>>60192820
probably raped or molested
>>
>>60192801
>some other weirdo junkies in new york
John Cale was a fairly well known artist in the New York avant garde scene before The Velvet Underground, and Nico was a pretty popular model.
>some gaudy artist guy
literally fucking world famous andy warhol, he was a household name at the time whether you liked him or not. Do you really think I don't know the band's history? They were my favourite band when I was a naive teenager, then I grew up and realized how trash they actualy are.
>>
>>60192820
>>60192861
Funny guys. Are you both 8 year old?

>>60192835
haven't listened to lulu, dislike both artists so i knew it
>>
>>60192932
*knew it wouldn't be worth my time
>>
What are your thoughts on Dylan?
>>
>>60192932
>are you both 8 year old
said the guy who uses Jew as a insult to somebody.
>>
>>60192978
bob Dylan > any artist ever besides the beatles.
>>
>>60192985
I used Jew to describe Lou Reed's scheming and greedy personality, not as an insult. Sorry to insult you Rabbi.

>>60193002
this is not me. But I do like Dylan, some of his lyrics are pretty good. His mellow tender songs are quite beautiful in a low brow way.
>>
>>60193033
And that's how I know you're a troll. Most of Dylan's songs are as musically simple as Reed and Dylan himself has admitted to this simplicity throughout his career.
>>
File: 1443321252204.gif (819 KB, 362x431) Image search: [Google]
1443321252204.gif
819 KB, 362x431
>>60193033
>not as an insult
>I used Jew to describe Lou Reed's scheming and greedy personality
why are we still talking?
>>
And with that OP mysteriously disappeared.
>>
sucks how this thread started as a lou reed thread, then came to constant bitching.
>>
>>60193057
I never said musical complexity was essential to making good music. Music is about feeling,not the technicality. I like Dylan, I don't think he's great. but he's quite good in a trashy way. His music is genuine and even his electric stuff is quite true the feeling of real American Blues. Lou Reeds music is a trite parody of 1960's radio pop music that adds a vague avant garde aesthetic on top. Yeah sure it has times where it gets "experimental", when it's just mindless free noise wank. They never went as far out as Zappa or even Yoko Ono. They were a bland pop band pretending to be more, and some people bought it. The only feeling in the Velvet Undergrounds music is the feeling of naive hipster shekels jangling around in Lou Reed's pockets.
>>
File: NOPE.gif (2 MB, 249x199) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.gif
2 MB, 249x199
>>60193190
>gif related is OP
>>
>>60193113
Don't know, why did you reply to me? :))
>>
>>60193215
Tell me where the pretentiousness in something like Heroin is. That song's appeal rests almost entirely on the emotional appeal of the lyrics.
>>
>>60192634
>So they recorded an album as poorly as they could then called it "experimental" and people like you ate it up

You don't really think that's why it's labeled as experimental, do you?

>The "direction" is entirely created by you, there is no concept
I would say that degeneracy/moral sickness borne of drug abuse and sex is a running theme, at least lyrically

>>60193215
How is a song like Venus in Furs or Heroin "a trite parody of 60s radio pop"? I'll give you the fact that everything after WLWH is an attempt to be more commercially accessible, but before that they were plenty experimental.

You also mention "feeling" a few times in that post which makes me question your argument here. I could say that Dylan sounds artificial to me and thus I don't "feel" much from his work, so it's bad. I don't actually believe that but you can use that argument for literally anything, it's meaningless.
>>
>>60193234
to respond to what you just said ;)
>>
>>60193259
Literally the entire noise crescendo. The lyrics were just pandering to hip young heroin chic of the time, for teenagers reading William Burroughs and James Joyce. A lot of the words are just nonsense, and have no deeper meaning. Honestly Heroin is one of the more pretentious songs, with something like Run Run Run being one of the least.
>>
>>60193344
Heroin wasn't the "hip" drug of the day, you're thinking of acid.

It should be noted that you could, however, say a similar thing about Dylan. It's been noted by multiple biographers that most of the time he mentioned rain on Blonde on Blonde were references to heroin.
>>
Anyway guys, it's been fun baiting you all tonight. Sorry OP for completely demolishing your thread. Just want to say that I love Lou Reed/The Velvet Underground, true classic music. Fuck all of you who said my bait was shit, I could have kept this going for hours you fucking kikes :))
>>
File: 220px-SallyCD.jpg (21 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-SallyCD.jpg
21 KB, 220x220
underrated
>>
>>60193492
proof pls
>>
File: 1445118928001.gif (309 KB, 424x240) Image search: [Google]
1445118928001.gif
309 KB, 424x240
>>60193492
Ok, have a nice day/night?
>>
>>60193593
>>
File: louthejew.jpg (596 KB, 1233x606) Image search: [Google]
louthejew.jpg
596 KB, 1233x606
>>60193593
>>60193659
here
>>
>>60193724
I am assuaged, ty
>>
Wow I love Lou Reed! What's your favourite album of his OP?
>>
>>60192293
I knew it would be that song
>>
wait can we actually talk about Lou Reed now?

what are your favorite songs from his solo career?
>>
>>60193842
like a rolling stone
>>
>I also get to work with the Velvet Underground, which is as shitty a group as Frank Zappa's group

Why did this make Reed so insanely butt-flustered?
>>
>>60193891
technically it's "almost as shitty a group," so he was actually calling TVU better than TMoI
>>
>>60192634
I love the Murder Junkies.

Kiss was okay.
>>
>>60193842
>>60193842
Caroline Says 1
>>
>>60193974
To be fair I do like some of GG Allin's music, definitely not Kiss though. I only chose them because they are both easy targets, and are two very different versions of what could be considered transgressive, makes for quality bait.
>>
first velvet album is one of the most important piece of art ever done.
What came after had nothing to do with it, Transformer had some good songs.
His work after is boring liveless music It only show that he was already dead musically, Always seems to me like a man very in control, he never let go like a rockstar
>>
Cale > Reed
>>
>>60195666
nah

Cale was really important and the band definitely went down the tubes after he left, but Lou was more important
>>
>>60195678
Cale was the one with the musical background, just look at his solo works vs. Reed's
>>
>Lou Reed thread
>picture of Philip Glass
>>
>>60191773
lmbo "100!"
>>
Fact : The Velvet Underground is the most creative band of american rock music; their european counterpart being Can.
>>
>>60191374
let me guess, based in your post you are female 17-22yrs old and browse tumblr regularly
>>
>>60191773
his appeal was never "le avant garde guy", his most popular songs where simple as fuck and he had a lot of those, TVU was a studio project that didn't go well thats it.
teens think he was so experimental because they are the perfect counterpart to the beatles or the rolling stones and relatively obscure lol, still baby's first underground band, get it? underground.
its the fanbase who made his music cringey like every other band, stay pleb TVU was still good
>>
>>60197447

Not him but

>TVU was a studio project that didn't go well thats it
>relatively obscure
>its the fanbase who made his music cringey like every other band

You have no idea of what you're talking about, especially about the conditions in which TVU recorded their albums and the liberty given by Warhol to do so. TVU was meant to be a musical vehicle for Warhol's factory, but all the songs were written before any encounter with pop-art. Saying that TVU was "just" a studio project that didn't went well is incredibly stupid and bait-tier argument.

TVU is by no means obscure, it's probably one of the very few albums that's in every critic's best of all time list, plebeian or patrician one.

There is, like, 0 TVU fanbase I've ever heard of, unless you're talking about artists that matter, like Brian Eno, Kevin Shields, Faust, Can, Suicide, Yo La Tengo, Sonic youth... basically any band that's not been too much cancered up by pop bullshit from the 60's.
>>
>>60197510
>TVU is by no means obscure
learn to read faggtron, i said compared to the beatles, so high school kids think they are so indie

>There is, like, 0 TVU fanbase I've ever heard of
what the actual fuck anon? really are you stupid or what?

>DUDE RIP LOU REED
>LOVE THE BANANA ALBUM
>OH YOU MEAN THE "ANDY WARHOL" ALBUM?
some autistic coworker actually called the album andy warhol
>>
>>60197819

>learn to read faggtron, i said compared to the beatles, so high school kids think they are so indie

You don't know shit about that, just because you've met half a dozen people who liked the banana album doesn't mean it's obscure. People in their 20's barely know who Dylan or Mick Jagger are, doesn't make them obscure.

There is 0 TVU fanbase, fuckwit, face it.

>some autistic coworker actually called the album andy warhol

I don't care about the opinion of your mentally challenged coworker, lots of people call it like that, who the fucking fuck cares, it still doesn't make that obscure.

You know what notoriety is ? It's like like the people saying they LOOOOVE da beatles when then see the cover of sgt Pepper's, despite them having only ever heard of the B's through Good Morning England or any "lo wring genereshion" media.

When I talk about TVU to randoms, I also call it "the banana album" and they see what I mean, because, you know, God forbids me talking seriously about music in public, it's the most cringy and arrogant topic you may explore with people certain of their good taste (ie every-fucking-body).
>>
>>60197876
ok let me explain, i meant obscure ironically, i know they are well known but kids feel special for liking TVU

man, there is a fanbase, look at pic related, almost 2 million listeners in Last.fm only, seems like a big fanbase to me
>>
>>60197876
>People in their 20's barely know who Dylan or Mick Jagger are
shut the fuck up
>>
>>60197947

I wrote a long paragraph but it god deleted while sending... Yes, there is a TVU fanbase, you're right. I tihnk it's less loud than the Beatles's one, for example.

>>60197991
>Dylan
"Isn't he dead ?"

>Mick Jagger
"I love that maroon 5 song !!!"
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.