[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you say the best way to discover music is? I spend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 1445939074258.png (284 KB, 367x422) Image search: [Google]
1445939074258.png
284 KB, 367x422
What would you say the best way to discover music is? I spend so much time on this forum every day and I don't really discover new albums that much ever. I've spent shit loads of time on last.fm, rateyourmusic, /mu/ wiki charts, what.cd and soulseek. I just don't see that much opportunity to find new albums like I used to. Sure a few years ago when I didn't really know any albums, there was so much to listen to. Now a days I just have a hard time finding one special album I feel is good enough to add to my collection.
>>
pick a song

put it on youtube

click on the automatic playlist on the right
>>
Find out which labels your favourite releases are on and explore other artists from their catalog. You will find plenty of good stuff that remained obscure because it never got on p4k or whatever.
>>
Labels you like
Genre tags on rutracker and what.cd,
Soulseek libraries of people with similar tastes
Discogs recs
Crate digging
Support acts at venues you like
Contemporaries/inspirations of artists you like
Look through the catalogs of places like boomkat
>>
>>60182254
>Crate digging
this seems like the most sure fire way to waste money on crap. do you just pull out something random and then pay for it?
>>
>>60182254
>Discogs recs
I didn't know this was a thing.
>>
>forum
reee, newfag, normie, etc
>>
fuck mac demarco for always pulling stunts like that
>>
The best way to discover music is to have as many sources as possible to look for it.
You could try with /mu/ generals though.
>>
you could try gnoosic.com

it's not the best but sometimes it turns up some good new stuff
>>
>>60182383
It's my favorite way to discover new music. Look up an album you like and check out the suggestions.
>>
>>60183270
actual newfag normie spoted.

anonymous forum is still forum, kid
>>
>>60182121
honestly the best way to discover music is from a friend. they're the only ones that know you and know what you will enjoy
>>
>>60182151
this desu senpai
>>
i like rym
>>
Honestly I've used Pandora
>inb4 reeeeeee
and Songza since forever. Along with a lot of other resources. Music map lists artists similar to any artist you can think of.
>>
>>60183382
>a friend
please don't forget where you are, friend.
>>
>>60183374
holy shit that is cool. thanks.
>>
rym charts
>>
what.cd
>find an album you like
>check the "People who like this album also liked..." section
>see what artists are in the related artist maps
>see what collages it's in
>see what personal collages it's in
>see what people who commented on it favorably have also downloaded recently

it's endless.
>>
>>60183515
ive made some great friends on last fm who showed me a lot of cool stuff
>>
>literally over 50 /mu/ essentials charts all over the internet for dozens of genres/subgenres
>bittorent exists
>sharethreads almost 3-4 times a week
>Daily threads exist
>Bandcamp exists

idk what more you could want OP. You're telling me you listened to EVERY album from EVERY essential chart? You can check labels and then check contemporaries too. Like Coltrane? Well Lee Morgan has 20 albums too. There you go, you've got at least a whole day of that going for you.
>>
http://www.albumoftheyear.org/releases/
>check out the albums with critic reviews
>check out the single
>listen to the albums you're interested in
>>
>>60182121
I just listen to all kinds of shit all the time. Sure you sort through a lot of chaff to find the wheat, but that wheat is mighty tasty. Lately, I've gotten turned on to some great shit from movies and TV. The music supervisor for this season of Fargo is on point.
>>
>>60182121
yt
>>
>>60183376
>4chan is a simple image-based bulletin board
Right from the front page pal
>>
>>60183949
are youtube recommendations really a useful tool?
>>
>>60183663
I hate general threads. How am I supposed to find anything in them? It's just unorganized posts, you have to just scroll down until someone mentions an album.
>>
search for "<genre> internet radio" on google
click a link
>>
>>60184619
Honestly people go to generals when they're pretty familiar with most of the genre
(that's why they're called generals)
>>
>>60182121
browse sharethreads daily. 95% of the time its fucking trash you dfag about, but once in a while you get some good shit and that makes it worth the 20 minutes a day.

srsly.
>>
>>60183663
People like what you describe is why this place is so awful
>>
>>60184970
that doesn't address my issues with general threads at all.
>>60185000
yeah idk man. I I guess sometimes when I look through a share thread I can just look for stuff with cool tags. I can't remember ever finding something in a share thread that was really worth while either.
>>
>>60182121
Of course you could always make a rec thread. What do you love, like and dislike? Describe your perfect music. I'll try to find something close if I can.
>>
>>60182121
after your morning breakfast (eggs and smoke and coffee) you need to turn your pc/laptop on (don't use tablets or phones they ruin the experience, you need that low hum of radiator fan) and then log on your rym account, and then check the last album you rated and try to find stuff related to it, be it band with some of the members, or the other project of the leader, or something in the same genre or from the same city

then don't listen to it, just go on mu and find the dankest looking cover and download it
>>
I'd look into checking out music you may have previously disliked or written off as mediocre before. Years will do wonders to somebody.
>>
>>60185170
I do this all the time desu. At this point the stuff that I get recommended every time I make a rec thread is the same stuff over and over again. I do this practically every day, but I haven't done it that much lately,.
>>
>>60185262
Same people. I am a very infrequent poster here so I prob wasn't in on those, and I'm sure I am not the only one.
>>
>>60185250
this anon gets it
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.