[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Define "pop music"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: brian wilson.jpg (1 MB, 1442x2147) Image search: [Google]
brian wilson.jpg
1 MB, 1442x2147
Define "pop music"
>>
popular music
>>
>>59684554
If there is a chorus then it is "pop" music
>>
gay
>>
>>59684571
/thread
>>
Pop music (a term that derives from "popular") is a genre of popular music that originated in its modern form in the Western world during the 1950s and 1960s, deriving from rock and roll. The terms "popular music" and "pop music" are often used interchangeably, although the former describes all music that is popular (and can include any style).

As a genre, pop music is extremely eclectic, often borrowing elements from other styles such as urban, dance, rock, Latin, and country; nonetheless, there are core elements that define pop music. Such elements include generally short to medium-length songs written in a basic format (often the verse-chorus structure) as well as the common employment of repeated choruses, melodic tunes, and hooks.
>>
>>59684569
I really wouldn't call Swans or Robert Johnson pop music
>>
The definition literally changes with time. You'd have to give an era for us to work with.

If we're talking about popular music as a commodity, it's could be defined as melodic music that's popular
>>
>>59684624
Swans are pop though.
>>
>>59684554
Music that is popular
>>
>>59684680
I mean in general, really. I've heard artists as disparate as Sufjan Stevens, Tame Impala, Katy Perry, and Talking Heads all be described as pop music.

It seems that pop just means "melodic vocals", regardless of instrumentation or style.
>>
>>59684737
I agree to an extent, but the split in this hair is the difference between "pop" and "poppy". Pop is popular, poppy is melodic/sugary. There's a difference between the two. For example, Neutral Milk Hotel is a good example of a poppy band who aren't pop, and a lot of hip hop is pop without being poppy.
>>
>>59684554
Today: heavy electronic music with soft vocals performed by a solo artist

Very danceable and usually musically tame
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.