[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The universe is shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: giphy-facebook_s.jpg (20 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.jpg
20 KB, 480x270
>The universe is shaped exactly like the earth if you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were
>>
>>59670865

it's more plausible than space being infinite
>>
>>59670895
How do you figure that?
>>
>>59670910
smoke a bowl and think about it dude
>>
>>59670895
no because we aren't on the surface of the universe like we are on earth, we are in the bulk.
>>
File: 20-20149410829_540x360.jpg (23 KB, 481x360) Image search: [Google]
20-20149410829_540x360.jpg
23 KB, 481x360
>>59670919
what now u dip?
>>
>>59670895
>its more plausible because it appeals to my anthropocentric common sense

nigga do u even science
>>
>>59670865
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-torus_model_of_the_universe

Not that Brock knew about this or anything, but it's poetic on the superficial and metaphorical level.
>>
>>59670895
what is wrong with 'nothing' be infinite? Space is the absence of matter. If the universe is just empty space besides a few little bumps then why can't there be infinite nothing beyond the galaxies? What would even be outside the nothing? More nothing? Advanced nothing?
>>
>>59671105
>What would even be outside the nothing? More nothing? Advanced nothing?
maybe it won't "be nothing" but just don't exist at all, you know, that one thing human imagination always struggles against (i.e. afterlife)
>>
File: f08.jpg (317 KB, 704x795) Image search: [Google]
f08.jpg
317 KB, 704x795
Pretty quick escalation into scientific debate guys

In all seriousness though, i never get why this line gets made fun of so much, or why i see so many people take that one line literally

Most of issac brocks lyrics are nonsense depressed white trash drug babble, maybe we should question whether or not dogs can actually fly around while we're at it
>>
>>59671805
>scientific debate
haha, but i really wish i could take part in a real scientific debate, maybe not on astrophysics though
>>
>God, who would want to be such an asshole?
>>
>>59670865
Given that space is supposedly continuing to expand, it is an ever-growing sphere. You're correct that traveling straight along the surface of a sphere of constant size will return you to your point of origin, but your logic has two flaws.

1) If the universe is continuing to expand in size, then traveling straight along it will result in you returning to a point that is some distance away from where you started. This distance between your end point and starting point will be proportional to the speed at which the universe is expanding.

2) You are operating under the assumption that you are traveling faster than the universe expands. In this respect, the only way for you to start at a point and transverse the universe before it expands (and thereby results in your displacement from your starting point) is if you can travel from point A to B instantaneously (similar to the premise of Event Horizon).
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.