[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I create a great melody? something that sounds magical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 20090517-paul-john.jpg (248 KB, 1187x801) Image search: [Google]
20090517-paul-john.jpg
248 KB, 1187x801
How do I create a great melody? something that sounds magical and special
>>
>>59666790
>use only the white keys on the piano
>use only one black key to create tension
>return to the white keys
>profit
>>
YOU GOT TO SUTDYF THEORY BRO OR ELSE YOU CAN'T MAKE MUSIC
>>
>>59666832
I'm a huge piece of gay
What is tension
>>
A little knowledge of theory as in what notes follow after others in modes and stuff can help sometimes.
>>
>>59666832
i literally meant tension like a dramatic moment in the melody and then return to the happy melody.
the black keys are sharp notes that usually sound
stressed, sad, etc.
>>
>>59666934
fucked up the reply, see >>59666972
>>
mfw alone or
mfw there is a light
>>
>>59666972
>the black keys are sharp notes that usually sound stressed
not if you play only the black notes. Then its a nice pentatonic pseudo-asian feel.

Every time i sit down at a piano in a public place I just play the black notes only, you literally can't go wrong.
>>
>>59666790
The best melodies come from your head. If you dont hear random melodies inside your head, you're probably not going to be a good composer. If you cant improvise a melody by singing (or playing) over a chord progression, you probably wont be a very good songwriter.

The best melodies are played or sung naturally and written down later. The more you focus on theory, the harder it will be to write a natural sounding beautiful melody. The only real exception is writing reinaissance period music where careful study of note length and intervals will help you create a balanced melody.

Going back to the same note often can help your melodies gel better.
>>
Look for a melody you really like. Analyze it. Then improve it by adding something original until it doesn't sound like the first melody anymore.
If possible, don't study music theory (the western kind of music theory), instead, look for an alternative, or try to make your own by analysing what you like and why you like it.
>>
>>59667661
about making melodies natural I think Morrissey is amazing at it
>>
>>59667697
this makes much sense
thanks
>>
what are you guys' favorite melodies?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.