[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /mu/ I want some help. I dont think Ive ever been able to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Patrick_Thinking.png (78 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Patrick_Thinking.png
78 KB, 500x375
Hey /mu/ I want some help. I dont think Ive ever been able to be as fully emotionally attached to music as much as I know a lot of other people are. I want to be more connected with what I hear but theres some sort of resistance or something.
I can see this when I'm writing my own music, I'm almost hesitant to use some lyrics over others purely because i find them too "sentimental" (thats the closest words I can come up). It seems to me that my problems arn't at all important and singing about them would be stupid since the entire world is going to shit and my i dont see complaining about anything as justified, thats one of my theories at least. I dont understand this.
Its the same with any art form really. I dont think I could ever see myself acting for instance because of the uncomfortable knot thats put in my stomach with just thinking of it.
Sorry if I sound vague but like I said I dont really understand this at all. I want to be comfortable sharing and making art but the prospect of doing so makes me anxious.
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated, thanks
>>
Try writing in a diary. Might help you get more comfortable with direct expression of your thoughts and feelings

Also keep in mind your music doesn't have to be emotional and you don't have to connect with music on an emotional level to enjoy it. That's just one approach
>>
>>59663143
solid advice
>>
>>59663143
But being comfortable on that level is something i greatly desire
Also great suggestion on the diary I have one but I dont take notes on my emotional self, ill give it a shot
>>
kill yourself redditor
>>
>>59663089
you have autism
>>
>>59663573
literally anything is reddit
>>
>>59663089
art is raw concentrated emotion. you're always letting it out. if you aren't letting any emotion seep into you work, it's not art. or at least it's not good art. just because you're not being particularly emotional doesn't mean you aren't conveying your thoughts adequately. some people are more reserved than others and that's ok. not to put words in your mouth, but this isn't necessarily a problem.

instead of just finding out how to put more emotion into your work, isolate exactly what you want in your work and find a way to express that specifically.

>>59663143
this might do wonders, but i also suggest the complete opposite. consume more and more art than stretches through a wide range of emotions until you find something you can latch onto. if you enjoy something, there's a good chance you're in sync with the performer at the time he was creating.

i hope this helps and doesn't just tell you a bunch of shit you don't already know.
>>
>>59663797
I definitely see art the same way as you do. Emotion is what makes great art great. Ive always admired Elliot Smith for his brutal honesty in his lyrical content and thats how i want my music to be but I guess i expect less resistance and "bad feelings" for lack of a better term on my part. Its like I understand how powerful music is but at the same time at a certain level don't.
>>
>>59663573
>>59663684
>>
>>59663967
it may help if you post some of your work and what you don't like about it. not that anyone on here is a proven expert, but an outside opinion is occasionally advantageous. i'd like to help personally
>>
>>59664058
http://www.last.fm/user/mrlongpaws
alright! follow me and ill keep you posted
>>
What are some of your favorite artists and what kind of music do you make?

Are you looking to connect more to lyrics specifically or the vision of the artist sonically or what?
>>
>>59663089
I've gone through the same exact shit OP. A few writers I've met have said basically the same thing.

I think you can be cerebral with your lyrics while still effecting powerful emotions. Sound and stigma aside, I think M.J. Keenan and Tomas Haake do this well. Maybe read some of their stuff.

Funny thing, once I submitted my shit to a forum for songwriter feedback and as soon as I shared something more cerebral, people started to shit on me saying drop the big words and just say what's on my mind.

At the time I thought they were a bunch of self righteous pricks but I guess there's a lot of fine lines and not every writer's values and goals agree with one another. Plus, what's inherently "good" anyway?

Not really any advice here. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.
>>
by the way i don't think your lyrics necessarily have to be personal or sentimental to have a strong emotional connection. I think narrative lyrics are a great alternative to this, just make up a story or something that captures the feel of your music or the idea you want to get across, it doesn't have to be personal.

I personally think Slint does a great job of doing this, especially the song Good Morning Captain.
>>
dont listen to music with lyrics, i dont for the most part
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.