[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is musical taste? Do YOU have good taste? Does your music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: XenomorphXX121.png (864 KB, 640x820) Image search: [Google]
XenomorphXX121.png
864 KB, 640x820
What is musical taste?

Do YOU have good taste?

Does your music make you happy?
>>
Liking some music and disliking some music

All tastes are good

Yeah, sometimes
>>
>>59617425
>All tastes are good
lolNOPE
>>
File: cat.png (79 KB, 331x288) Image search: [Google]
cat.png
79 KB, 331x288
>>59617444
>>
File: 755789765489.jpg (54 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
755789765489.jpg
54 KB, 600x600
>>59617444
>>
>>59617330
taste is one's own preferences in music, be they learned or inherent

All taste is good to the individual, but because some objective structure is possible thanks to mass aggregate of ideas, the tracing of innovation, etc, I do in fact consider myself to have good taste

My music makes me happy in more ways than i can put into words. Without it, life would be a lot less exciting
>>
File: yelling cat.png (118 KB, 258x265) Image search: [Google]
yelling cat.png
118 KB, 258x265
>>59617479
>>
taste is some kind of aesthetic sensibility

no tastes are good, no tastes are bad, but some are more refined than others mostly due to exposure to more music and critical thinking

yes
>>
>>59617330
Taste is nothing more than likes and dislikes.

I personally don't believe that any taste is better or worse than another, but a lot of people would say I have shit taste on account of how much top 40 pop I listen to.

Yes, music makes me happy.
>>
my sister showed me some band called smiths they are pretty good you guys should check them out. they sound kind of like of monsters and men
>>
>>59617750
I mean that when you see some musician from the 80s, another musician from the the 90s, another group from the 2000s, etc etc all mentioning an influence to an album, that album has attained a level of importance and noteworthiness simply due to the aggregate influence it has had on music

Tago Mago is a more important record than anything Air Supply ever released. For me, influence and innovation is a big part in determining what is "good' on a more objective scale
>>
>>59617794
innovation? that i can mostly agree with
influence? im not sure because thats something not at all inherent to an album
>>
>>59617849
For me the two tend to go hand in hand

Great, truly innovative music usually doesn't slip too far through the floorboards

but innovation goes above influence for me
>>
>>59617330
Listening to music I like makes me happy.

Who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks about it.
>>
>>59617881
it might if its radical enough to only appeal to a very niche audience

but is it the same as having good taste if you end up liking music thats considered good by some generally accepted standard? if youre for instance a total scaruffi, antiwarhol, etc dicksucker i wouldnt say you have good taste even if youd end up listening to good, original music
>>
>>59618026
and that's where I would say the personal and individual opinions come in

I can't stand most of Frank Zappa's output. I just can't take Freak Out or anything like that, despite being a huge Beefheart fan.

I also hate Pink Floyd despite being a huge psych fan, loathe the Clash despite punk, etc

so while liking good things is a part of good taste, just being yourself is too

and imo, if you actually have good taste, you'll go out and hunt down obscure shit that people don't talk about as much and find your own little realm
>>
>>59617881
a creative band might just be bad at business or promotion, or perhaps not in tune with the current trend. popularity doesnt have that much to do with quality, and i kind of hate that all this bullshit factors in. im not sure i could name an example right off the bat however
>>
I try to think that taste is all subjective, and that there is no "bad" music.

Aaaaaand then I hear what my roommate listens to. e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN1xomBlhSA

I didn't think it was possible to unironically like music like this
>>
>>59618952
kinda sounds like death magic
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.