[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what exactly is wrong with pop-punk? I'm not talking My
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: b81.png (161 KB, 331x289) Image search: [Google]
b81.png
161 KB, 331x289
what exactly is wrong with pop-punk? I'm not talking My Chemical Bromance or any of that shit, stuff like Green Day and Bowling for Soup. No, it doesn't often have the lyrical depth of "actual punk", but it's often the gateway drug for that kind of stuff. I don't get it.
>>
MCR is good and they put on an amazing show. Glad I got to see them open for blink before they were kill
>>
>>59600914
The name alone tells you why ffs
>>
>>59600938
le pop is inherently bad meme
>>
>>59600914
it's way better than actual punk
>>
Most of the biggest bands in the punk canon have always had elements of pop in their sound.

For the Ramones, who longed for a return the simpler, more immediate rock and R&B of the 50s and early 60s (Buddy Holly, the Supremes, etc.), pop was the entire point. In England, punk was only a fringe movement for a brief moment before it exploded into a media phenomenon, so you had a bunch of bands that gave very few shits about "indie cred" and actively courted mainstream audiences. Buzzcocks and Stiff Little Fingers and 999 that would probably be labeled pop punk if they were starting out today.

Basically, using "pop punk" as a label to denigrate music you don't like makes zero sense. There is good pop punk and bad pop punk, and if someone doesn't like the bands you listed, they should come up with better reasons than "it's pop punk so it sucks lel"
>>
>>59601369
that's not what pop punk actually is though, and you know it. Even tho earlier punk acts like The Clash and Ramones had pop elements in their music, they are not "pop punk". If you meet someone who said they like pop punk, they are 100% refering to green day and Blink-182.
>>
>>59601736
What makes Green Day fundamentally different from the Ramones, other than the types of fans they are likely to attract?
>>
>>59600914
When Blink 182 is better than a majority of bands in a genre, there's something wrong with that genre.
>>
>>59601787
early green day - nothing. Punk elitests that bash Green Day but praise the Ramones are literally retarded
>>
>>59601736
I doubt anyone who listens to Green Day or Blink 182 would call them pop punk. They'd just call them punk or some other label that doesn't fit.
>>
I just don't like a lot of Pop Punk. Personal preference. Green Day, Blink 182, The Offspring, NOFX, etc. sound gay as fuck to me. I don't like the sound of Pop Punk. Stiv Bator's solo Pop Punk was okay though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBezsc9zyAM

It's crazy to hear the famed dead boy of Punk doing this shit.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.