[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pere Ubu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: 908476[1].jpg (19 KB, 299x218) Image search: [Google]
908476[1].jpg
19 KB, 299x218
not sure if anyone on here is a fan, but I just caught some clips of these guys playing on television in the 80s and they blew me away

the intensity of the vocal performances plus the subtle and well-crafted instrumentals really impressed me

these guys have like a dozen albums, i'm wondering where i should start, didn't really like the Modern Dance because it was really punk-rock

here are the clips I saw by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogl6oPT_5bY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az5hpBtjEbo
>>
wtf all these shitpost threads are getting tons of replies
>ITT: we pretend to be retarded: Animal Collective is a great band!
>If you could get any album cover in a big 36"X36" print on your wall, what would you get?
>/mu/mories: Post links to your favorite thread ITT.
>Chart Thread
>ITT: homophobic musicians:
>fake album art thread

and i try and make a thread about an incredible and unappreciated band and no one posts in it

why the fuck is /mu/ so shitty, where's a place where people actually talk about music?
>>
>>63221357
I've only listened to. Modern Dance sadly.
>>
>>63221357
>>ITT: homophobic musicians:
kek thanks for the shoutout. to answer your question though, pere ubu have been talked about quite often on this board and genuine discussions about innovative bands usually don't expand upon regurgitated surface level observations so you shouldn't expect much. i usually sift through the written reviews on rateyourmusic.com for a particular album i grow fond of

>i'm wondering where I should start
dub housing is the best place to start, especially for someone who was a little turned off by modern dance (urge you to revisit when you become further acquainted with the band)

also this isnt off dub housing but it's my favorite pere ubu track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3kKHhG4m0
>>
Pennsylvania is my favorite Ubu album, it's fucking excellent. Listen to that one for sure. And modern dance and dub housing
>>
Modern Dance and Dub Housing are great records. Pere Ubu are very under appreciated on /mu/ but yet everybody and their brother posts a Television thread.
>>
>>63221582
that track is incredible, the use of the synthesizers are really something and its so nice to hear a rock band do something creative with form
>>
>>63221234
Give dub housing and Modern Dance a couple more tries, they both come off as really offputting at first, but once they grow on you you'll realize how catchy and well put together they are. The 2 after those are no good though, no matter how much I try New Picnic Time and the art of walking are yet to grow on me...
Also, here's another good youtube video of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYqvtHzr48
>>
>>63221234
They are very very subtle, to like a ridiculous degree
Actually a really really cool band, I've never super super gotten into them but I've listened to them a good bit and I like them a lot.
But check out their original 5 first albums, I haven't gotten past those yet but those are all pretty decent. My favorites are definitely The Modern Dance and Dub Housing and my third favorite is Song of the Bailing Man.
And don't forget to check out the David Thomas solo stuff from the 80s from when Pere Ubu was disbanded.

Fuck I really need to look into some of their post-reformation stuff.
They're a really interesting band.
Their facebook said that if David Thomas ever died that they would keep having interviews be done over email with answers provided from his past interviews and a new album (which would have already been recorded) would be released. They are a good bit pretentious but still fantastic music, completely unique. They have a sense of normalcy with an underlying insanity that comes out super strongly in some places/songs and very subtly in other places.
>>
>>63221823
they have more than 10 other albums that you could consider listening to

it really annoys me when people only listen to a band's most acclaimed albums and ignore everything else
>>
If you liked that first album, you should check out David Thomas' solo stuff. What Happened To Me is on Monster Walks the Winter Lake.

But yeah, it's hard to go wrong. I've listened to their first ten albums and haven't found a bad one, and they seemed to change style every album. I think The Modern Dance and Dub Housing are rightly regarded as the game changers. New Picnic Time is almost psychedelic new wave.
>>
>>63221823
night music was so fucking based
>>
>>63221823
this reminds me of Casey and his Brother so fucking much
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlNXtMUYCw
>>
File: 51Y703pnUPL.jpg (61 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51Y703pnUPL.jpg
61 KB, 500x500
I liked their Ubu Roi album they did a little while ago.
Most of their output from the 70s and 80s are really really good too. If you weren't too into Modern Dance and not into their punk-y stuff you might want to check out Cloudland first.
>>
>>63221850
they have a whole big manifesto thing on their website that's definently worth a read if you're interested in brilliant musicians talking about their band

http://www.ubuprojex.com/protocols.html
>>
>>63221582
holy fucking shit that's an amazing track
getting that live album now
I have no clue how multiple people can make this kind of music, it's so intentional but how is this something that multiple people can verbally be able to create, let alone organically?
>>
File: img_22221.jpg (708 KB, 1411x1431) Image search: [Google]
img_22221.jpg
708 KB, 1411x1431
>>63221944
>live album
it first appeared on their debut EP datapanik in year zero (came out before modern dance)

i havent listened to the live album that its featured on so i cant comment on it but a few of the tracks on this EP show up on the modern dance. shame 30 seconds wasnt one of them
>>
>>63221858
I got their CD box set with their first 4 albums and bonus material. I've listened to some of their poppy later stuff on youtube, but not enough to form opinions on their later body of work...I liked them more as a punk band, especially the noisier stuff. Which of their later albums should I check out though???
>>
Never listened to Pere Ubu before. What should be the first track I listen to, lads?
>>
>>63221923
Oh boy, that circa late 90s web design.
This is cute.
>>
>>63221997
I think it was their first single...it's crazy how great they were from the get go
>>
i thought pere ubu were blacks
>>
>>63222042
Tenament Years and Worlds in Collision are probably the best of the reformation era in my opinion but you might as well just check em all out
>>
>>63222053
30 seconds over tokyo
>>
>>63222053
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3n5D622aW4

Might as well jump right in
>>
>>63221234
Sorry. The Modern Dance is their best album.
>>
>>63222082
are you one of the plebs who thinks you can make the judgement without having heard a quarter of their records?
>>
>>63222116
he's just a scaruffi drone
>>
Essential fedora-core
>>
>>63222226
how do you figure?
>>
>>63221997
>>63222061
yeah I just realized it was from the first single
wow that is really early

I just downloaded this comp with all their early singles
>>
Seriously any Pere Ubu fans sleeping on Pennsylvania need to listen to it asap
>>
I want to listen to fucking "Existential Journey" again

IT'S HOME

BLEH PLBB

>glass breaks
>>
>>63222574
CHristgau gave it a bomb and no review :(
>>
>>63222653

He's a fucking idiot. It's one of their best records.
>>
>>63222053
modern dance (album)
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.