[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come 90% of all Bandcamp threads consist of ambient, noise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 1430349524975.jpg (51 KB, 692x577) Image search: [Google]
1430349524975.jpg
51 KB, 692x577
How come 90% of all Bandcamp threads consist of ambient, noise or drone?
>>
To hide the mediocrity.
>>
>>55646110
I guess I should have worded it as 'How come every Bandcamp thread consists of 90% ambient, noise or drone.
>>
Bah dum tss
>>
what about post-spoken word?

http://churros.bandcamp.com/
>>
it requires little talent/skill to make duh
>>
Easier to make.
>>
>>55646110
cuz that shit is easy to make
>>
it's easy to make tbh

most people don't want to put the effort into writing melodies or don't know enough about music to write anything truly interesting

not that ambient isn't interesting but there's already a ton of it and bandcampcore artists aren't doing anything new with it
>>
>>55646120
>>55646138
>>55646142
>>55646144
>>55646167

Oh god...
>>
>>55646110
you forgot "beats" or "chill"

To answer your question though, we live in a time where anybody can make music. As a result a greater proportion of music is not very good/memorable now than there has ever been before.
>>
>>55646129
There's a lot of it but not 90%
>>
>>55646144
>>55646142
>>55646138

yeah but it's hard to make good ambient/noise/drone

it's the difference between 101 hz and 102 hz
>>
>>55646178
I feel you bro
>>
>>55646183
Dude go look at the most recent BC thread. Obviously I didnt do the math but the amount of artists posting with ambient as a tag is at least 90%
>>
>>55646134
this isn't that bad.
>>
>>55646178
Just to clarify, I don't think it's easy to make GOOD ambient/drone etc.
>>
File: fucking mu.png (26 KB, 1310x224) Image search: [Google]
fucking mu.png
26 KB, 1310x224
>>55646110

It's easy to make
>>
>>55646193
This guys is right. It's easy to make ambient or drone, but it takes effort to make good ambient or drone. People are more interested in quantity than quality, and just bend over and shit out album after album of below mediocre - mediocre ambient
>>
>>55646110
because any fucking retard can make it. now to make it good, you have to know what you're doing. but the thing about that is that most people dont have a clue and you can trick them into believing any bullshit you want if you have the right attitude.
>>
>>55646217
And half of those people use the tag incorrectly
>>
File: i_hug_that_feel.png (100 KB, 600x553) Image search: [Google]
i_hug_that_feel.png
100 KB, 600x553
>>55646193
>>55646255
>>55646259
>>55646287
>>
>>55646110
Because they're easy to make and take very little creativity
>>
>>55646300
well i'll be fucked if anyone thinks im about to listen to it
>>
ITT: Ambient listeners/producers and people who will never understand.
>>
>>55646134
awful
>>
>>55646373
Then why do you feel the need to say to the world "I won't listen to these guys' music"
>>
the real question is "how come no one listens to each others shit on 90% of SC threads?"
>>
>>55646615
because people post mostly unfinished tracks, WIPs, or are just there to get a few follows

SC threads are cancerous
>>
>>55646615
because i'm done listening to mediocre drone. I listen to shit all the time but it's someone else's turn to wade through the ambient stuff.

>>55646423
i'm the guy you're replying to
>>
>>55646636
maybe true but ultimately no. the real reason is no one cares about other people's music, they jsut want to share their own. selling your own music to other musicians doesn't work though.
>>
>>55646671
well the question stands.

Do you propose we have Ambient/Drone/Noise BC threads separate from the rest?
>>
>>55646682
What should we do about it?

There are a count-on-one-hand number of artists I genuinely like to see in threads and hear from the BC threads, that I otherwise would never have found. I try to give feedback for stuff that interests me, but ignore the stuff I wouldn't like or wouldn't be able to judge.
>>
>>55646706
nah people should just put more effort into their music and stop fixating over output
>>
>>55647025
I'm not the one fixating on output. The people complaining about how they're tired of seeing X% ambient/drone/noise are the ones fixated on output.
>>
>>55646382
I'll never understand how to feels to be a talentless fl kid who fucks around with random noises
>>
>>55646180
and there was already enough of that as is. I don't mind the level of saturation though
>>
good ambient requires at least some fundamental understanding of music theory, a lot of experience with composition, and usually some good hardware
16 year olds who are somehow attracted to it just because anyone can stretch loops easily in DAWs are missing the point entirely
>>
>>55646110
I TORRENTED FL STUDIO LOLOLOL XD
>>
The vast majority of SC/Bandcamp artists on here kind of suck. Not everyone, I've even added stuff from here to my collection, and there are geniunely talented people. But most of it is just boring. Borecore ambient, with too much reverb/no development.
>>
I never go to these threads, what artists should I look at?
>>
Well /mu is a site visited by pseudo critics, wannabee intellectuals, weebs, and whiggers.

Coming from a pool of talentless hacks like that, I mean, whaddya spect?
>>
>>55647737
how do you say that, do you pronounce the H so its like H-wiggers?
>>
>>55647776
I mean supporters of Martin Van Buren
I'm a wannabee intellectual btw
>>
>>55647689
What'd you expect? Soundcloud threads are for that suburban teenage kid who pirated FL or Ableton, knows virtually no music theory and possesses no original or creative ideas, so they pull up a generic preset, hold a C chord for 5 minutes, then throw on a bunch of reverb and compression presets. Anyone with actual talent doesn't need to promote themselves through those channels.
>>
>>55646682
>no one cares about other people's music
i disagree, if someone actually took the time to finish something i'd be much more likely to give them a proper full listen or follow.

too many people post their shit before they can even mix half decently
>>
>>55646110
I don't consider noise or drone to be experimental in the slightest anymore because of bandcamp.

bandcamp threads: noise, drone

soundcloud: beats, edm
>>
>>55646178
oh god my ass. i'm a fan of all three but drone/noise is easy as fuck to make. it requires no knowledge whatsoever of music theory, and little knowledge about how to produce. the only reason why they hold any merit whatsoever is for the same reason why pollock's paintings hold merit. because of the shock of someone actually doing it. that's why the innovators in the genres are cool e.g. la monte young, and those japanoise boys. but every soundcloud artist who throws that shit together is nothing more than a cheap imitator who's trying to pass off their half-assed shit as something thats 2deep4u. i can't say the same for all ambient, but the majority of ambient sc artists are also shit
>>
>>55646110
Easy as shit to make, and doesn't really have to be any good as long as it's muh obskure genre XD
>>
>>55648455
I always find it interesting that some people latch on to experimental music or music that doesn't have conventional structure without realizing that the big names in most of those genres have extensive experience as actual musicians
>>
>>55648020
>Anyone with actual talent doesn't need to promote themselves through those channels.
Oh yeah? And how is a person with actual talent supposed to promote themselves?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.