[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's some more good music for pretending you have "high"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 13
What's some more good music for pretending you have "high" taste?
>>
Is this just a variation of the posercore meme? Pretty weak.
>>
>>
>>55640017
almost all those albums are actually good, some being superb.
>>
>maybe if i rename this meme i'll have better luck than last time

sage
>>
>>
>>55640034
It's a more accurate version of it, I suppose.
>>55640044
They also make up a person's very limited exposure to one or more genres.
>>
Fire Orchestra is so fucking bad

Non-american white people fail at fully grasping jazz.
>>
>>55640040
8/10
>>
Jesus, this "posercore" maymay is already more cancerous than all memes of the last few months combined. Please kill yourself.
>>
>>55640134
I see I offended a Faux Intellectual.
>>
they're all good albums. nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>55640169
There is a lot wrong with it when people like this claim they like Jazz or Classical music, or claim to be knowledgeable of it, when this consists of their taste.
>>
post good minimalism then mr. patrician
>>
>>55640134
agreed, completely pathetic
>>
>>55640185
That is good Minimalism, save the Richter and somewhat the Eastman.

The point is that people claim to listen to classical music, when those are the only albums they are exposed to.
>>
>>55640179
Do you have autism?
>>
File: 1390699777132.jpg (27 KB, 604x453) Image search: [Google]
1390699777132.jpg
27 KB, 604x453
>>55640179
Oh so this is a circlejerk where you get to show how "patrician" you are.

Fantastic, we really needed more aimless garbage on this board instead of music discussion.
>>
>>55640179
Who are you even referring to? Some stereotype you've conjured up in your own mind?

It's easy to accuse people who listen to certain music of being superficial, whereas you're being completely authentic with your listening habits of course.

Pointless bait.
>>
GUYS

there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these albums themselves.

HOWEVER

these particular albums are often used by people who wish to bolster their projected intelligence and those who would claim deep knowledge of something simply by nature of knowing these albums.

DO NOT get upset if you like these albums. stop being so sensitive guys. you alone are the reason things like this exist, because you are vocal about being offended.

calm down.
>>
>>55640281
This

What if people find the albums to be the best in their genre - which could be a genuine explanation for why they're talked about so much.

>>55640179
This is not justification
>>
>>55640373
I'm telling you that what you're describing doesn't exist and you've made this up in your head.

It seriously poses more questions about your own insecurities.
>>
""Jazz serves a cultural function in the music scene. It is a signifier for musical 'adulthood'. To embrace jazz is to don a kind of graduation cap, signifying a broadening of tastes outside 'mere' rock music. This ostentatious display of 'sophistication' is an insult, and I find the graduation cappers transparent and tedious. Certainly there must be interesting music one could call 'jazz'. There must be. I've never heard it."

-- Steve Albini on jazz

"Because it sucks and I'm tired of hearing about it. Believe me I've tried. I just hate the parts I hate about it more than I like the little things there are to like. The batting average is just so low I can't bear the dead time between highlights being filled with all that noodling. It's vain music."

-- Steve Albini on why he hates jazz
>>
>>55640060
>"They also make up a person's very limited exposure to one or more genres."
How, exactly? A normal person says "well, that's it, 10/10 A+ ***** best album ever i will stop listening to music now"?
I don't think so.
>>
>>55640373
>there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of these albums themselves.
should've stopped there
>>
>>55640373
Way to miss the point.

>some stereotype you've conjured up in your own mind

It's just an easy way for you to dismiss the opinions of people you perceive as "pretending."
>>
File: viper.jpg (109 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
viper.jpg
109 KB, 1440x1080
>>55640017
>>
File: WHOOP WHOOP.gif (82 KB, 801x801) Image search: [Google]
WHOOP WHOOP.gif
82 KB, 801x801
>>55640440
>giving a fuck what Albini thinks
>>
>>55640077
I thought they were pretty good. What was wrong with them?
>>
>>55640440
He really says nothing other than "its wank I don't like it"

I love his music and the work he's produced but he really can be an insufferable tool.
>>
>>55640373
>these particular albums are often used by people who wish to bolster their projected intelligence and those who would claim deep knowledge of something simply by nature of knowing these albums.

nope, people use pink floyd and black sabbath and the beatles albums...
>>
>>55640373
That can be said about literally any album
>>
File: mucore classical.jpg (488 KB, 1067x1600) Image search: [Google]
mucore classical.jpg
488 KB, 1067x1600
>>
>>55640586
there are different levels of these types. i've met plenty of people who put down my taste in jazz, claiming super knowledge on the subject and history, who did not know ornette coleman.
>>55640626
it could but it isn't.
>>
File: WHOOP WHOOP.gif (82 KB, 809x809) Image search: [Google]
WHOOP WHOOP.gif
82 KB, 809x809
Beefheart and Zappa.

WHOOP WHOOP!
>>
>>55640017

Why do you care so much about it. The only thing worse than being what you describe is you going on about how superior your taste is. You are the pseudo-intellectual here, stop shaming people.
>>
>>55640695
so in other words you're bitter about your own experiences so you've decided to inflict that upon others

you're a sad sad man
>>
>>55640793
>You are the pseudo-intellectual here
I am the intellectual actually.
>>
>>55640800
>so you've decided to inflict that upon others
where?
>>
File: ZQsQU.jpg (246 KB, 1575x1080) Image search: [Google]
ZQsQU.jpg
246 KB, 1575x1080
>>55640373
Dunno why other posters doth protest so much, the concept of using art to build an identity shouldn't be revelatory.

The coincidental albums chosen don't necessitate their lack of quality, but rather the opposite (in most cases) with how the layman gravitates toward them. The issues comes in those making value-claims without at least acknowledging the need of assessing where the work stands in a larger sociohistoric strata, for one, which is gained by digging into a genre beyond the surface level canon. Hence the issue at hand.

you guys are really sensitive over these threads
>>
>>55640848
>you guys are really sensitive over these threads
It's almost as if they apply under this definition and don't think they do.
>>
>>55640848

Well, people have to start somewhere and because these albums are propped up by so many people who do know about the genre they also become the easiest to find for entry level fans looking to expand their tastes. The pretense you carry yourself with is palpable
>>
>>55640848
You're still missing the point.

Singling out specific albums for this makes no sense because people listen to all kinds of music for image. Everything from the Beatles to Mozart to Faust to Albert Ayler.

You can easily dismiss anyone's opinion as "poser" or "pseud" or "hipster" but it's almost always uncalled for.
>>
The point we have against this. You're all still missing it.

We'll go through it step by step.

>Why might an album be regarded as entry level?

Most Accessible? Possibly, but a lot of the time it's because they are regarded as one of the best in the genre.

>Then if it is one of the best in the genre it may gain popularity, thus appealing to more people.

Leading to more people referencing and recommending the album, and it becomes one of the staples of the genre.

>So? People should just go out of their way to not talk about their favourite albums in that genre, and talk about less referenced albums that they don't like as much?

Well that's just pointless
>>
>>55641168
Wrong, it's that people have only listened to these albums and yet still claim to "love" Jazz or Classical.

By the way, those Classical releases aren't even close to the best, idiot.
>>
>>55641212
Do you have autism?
>>
>>55641212
Again, those people are a stereotype you've conjured up in your own mind.

Unless people actually come out and say "I'm a jazz aficionado and I only know Miles, Coltrane and Mingus", which basically never happens, it's pointless to accuse people of this shit.
>>
File: 150505_152233.png (214 KB, 599x720) Image search: [Google]
150505_152233.png
214 KB, 599x720
>>
>>55641212
Do you seriously not know what fucking retarded neo-/mu/ will do with this kind of shitty chart though? Huh?

They'll see these albums posted, and then a growing stigma against these perfectly fine fucking albums will grow, and they'll forever be stuck in pleb/memedom and our enjoyment of them will slowly deteriorate.

And for what?

Because we can't be bothered to identify when someone has shot taste in genre and tell them they do?
>>
>>55641261
>>55641267
Check out a 10/10 albums thread and see how often the OP albums are posted.
That's exclusively as status statement.
>>
>>55641297
ayy lmao
>>
>>55641297
OH NO I'M A FUCKIN ALIEN

i can't be trusted
ayy lmao
>>
>>55641316
>That's exclusively as a status statement
[citation needed]
>>
>>55640017
Great thread, OP. Really well done.
>>
>>55641343
>thread often led with popular music albums
>90% of people post popular music
>one fucking faggot posts Davis or Trane or Reich
Status.
>>
>>55641364
Or just their opinion.

>wow not hard to ignore at all
>>
>>55641316
That's what I'm saying. You're using this concept to dismiss anyone who enjoys these albums rather than because you know for a fact these albums are the only ones they listen to in their respective genres.

Of course they're going to be popular. They're entry level. That doesn't mean anyone who prefers and entry level album is "pretending"
>>
>>55641364
You still haven't proven that you have magic powers allow you to read people's minds as to know why they posted an album as their favorite
>>
>>55641411
*that allow
>>
>>55641355
>>55640017
Oh. I get it. It's bait. Never-mind!
>>
>>55641168
Except not gaining context on a work by tackling what paradigms it operates in can only give so limited an understanding of it. Art *can* be interpreted in a vacuum, but this should not be the only modality that it's understood in (if a person means to ever critically think about it) because it necessarily is a part of a larger conversation.

You're skipping the step in between being referenced a popular work and calling it your favorite in serious discussion regarding art music, which is thinking about why you like it beyond "feels".
>>
>>55640017
This thread is beyond terrible, at least people are calling you out on your shit.
>>
>>55641509
>at least people are calling you out on your shit.
Nah, they're butthurt because they fall under my definition.
>>
>>55641505
So you can't call them your favourite albums because they're entry level?

Even if you've gone through said paradigms?
>>
>>55641576
Nah, they're calling OP out on their shit. Besides, what's the value in defining something as almost meaningless a criticism (or maybe you prefer the term witticism) as pseudo-intellectual?
>>
>>55641576
>2015
>having definitions
>>
>>55641617
>Besides, what's the value in defining something as almost meaningless a criticism (or maybe you prefer the term witticism) as pseudo-intellectual?
So then a person can prompt posters of albums like Unjust Malaise "so what other classical music do you like?"
>>
>>55640017
To be honest Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, BSATSL, and Mingus Ah Um are GOAT. But I agree, they attract alot of pseudo intellectual scum.
>>
>>55641505
You're only assuming people haven't done that based solely on the fact that they enjoy popular albums.
>>
>>55641641
I've never heard the album to which you're referring. Somehow, I don't think it's relevant to what I said. I'm just saying, 'pseudo-intellectual' is a fucking stupid saying to throw around as though it's worth a damn.
>>
>>55641576
>they fall under my definition
fucking hell. how self-involved can you be?
>>
>>55641674
>I've never heard the album to which you're referring.
I guess you're new then.
>>
>>55641641
Beethoven and Mozart.

>TOON ENTRY LEVEL D:<
>>
>>55641641
get a friend
>>
>>55641694
Nah, been listening to music probably for as long as you've been alive. Have heard more music than most of you. Unlike most of you, I've never been one to make it a competition. Love when I'm forced to say shit like this though. By the way, I'll go and listen to it later. On your recommendation of course.
>>
>>55641586
No, I don't know where you're getting that from. That only means you're opinion would have the more bearing for it. Think about it in these reductive terms

>new to genre
>listens to popular work, likes it
>listens to less popular works and gain perspective
>is able to appreciate genre and popular work with newfound perspective and context

>>55641671
I'm not proclaiming everybody does that, I'm saying there are typified patterns that are followed and that certain albums coincidentally (or because of it) are gravitated towards because of their popularity, which are then used as social capital.
>>
>>55641759
>Nah, been listening to music probably for as long as you've been alive.
But new here.
>>
>>55641800
You're gay
>>
>>55641800
>new to genre
>listens to popular work, likes it
>listens to less popular works and gain perspective
>is able to appreciate genre and popular work with newfound perspective and context

then why is it Faux-Intellectual or poser to talk about these albums?
>>
>>55641819
Eh. Been here for three years or so. How about you?
>>
m8 look up posercore
its the latest dank meme genre
>>
>>55641759
>been listening to music probably for as long as you've been alive
>heard more music than most of you
>I've never been one to make it a competition
>Unlike most of you
>starts thread shitting on others tastes

you really are completely delusional aren't you?
>>
>>55641877
I don't know the intent of op but it's not an effin binary mate.

Posers talk about these albums.

It does not follow that these albums are (listened to exclusively by) posers.
>>
>>
>>55641961
THEN WHY ARE THEY POSERCORE

refer to >>55641297
>>
>>55641932
Um. I'm not OP. So. No. Figure that doesn't make me the delusional one. Makes you the mistaken one. But that's alright. I forgive you. Fucker.
>>
>>55640440
I thought Albini wasn't a fag
>>
>>55640662
Hey, someone who knows more about classical music than me, I've been listening to Arthur Rubinstein's performances of Chopin, am I listening to an inferior performance?
>>
>>55641800
So who are you to decide which posters prefer the albums because they enjoy them and which prefer them because they're pretending?
>>
>>55642074
Early or late recordings?
If you're listening to the RYM approved one (near top of charts) that's the inferior.
>>
File: seer-1347308159.jpg (242 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
seer-1347308159.jpg
242 KB, 800x800
>>
>>55642013
forgive me, Asshat. let me revise my previous statement.

>been listening to music probably for as long as you've been alive
>heard more music than most of you
>I've never been one to make it a competition
>Unlike most of you
>never been one to make it a competition

you really are completely delusional aren't you?
>>
Post-Punk
Experimental/Psychedelic Rock
Noise Rock
Progressive Rock
Krautrock
>>
>>55641986
because memetic culture, what do you want me to say?

There will be people who see through it and are willing to discuss this stuff in a more robust capacity regardless if it catches fire.

>>55642082
I wasn't under the impression I did anything but talk about underlying patterns characteristic of the phenomena of social identity.
>>
>>55642096
I guess late, I've been listening to Vol. 48, but I'm really floundering, I'm not used to listening to classical music so I don't really know where to start or got to. I just picked Arthur randomly, because I like Chopin.
>>
>tfw avant-teen
>tfw not mad at all because none of my favourites are in any chart
>>
>>55642143
Then will you please do me a favour, and ensure that when people are calling these albums pleb, or for posers, the person is actually a pleb or a poser, and not just talking about one of their favourite albums.
>>
STOP LIKING THINGS I DON'T
>>
>>55642133
No-one's posing when they say they like these genres - go back to your j-pop containment board
>>
>>55642144
You should listen to Beethoven's piano sonatas, they aren't a far cry from Chopin.
Check out Alfred Brendel, Emil Gilels, Wilhelm Kempff, or Backhaus' recordings.
>>
>>55642128
I'm usually not one to make it a dick measuring contest. I did on this occasion because I felt the need to. Sorry, m80. No delusion involved. Sometimes you just need to break out the old measuring stick and wrap a punk's knuckles with that shit. After measuring your dick right in front of their face, I mean.
>>
>>55642233
My digits are nice.
>>
>>55642257
my digits are nicer but it's all subjective
>>
>>55642271
Damn...
>>
>>55642206
They are the epitome of poser-core, nothing summarises the poser better than within these genres.
>>
>>55642232
Listening to Brendel's Piano Concerto no. 5, thanks anon! I'll try the sonatas later.
>>
>>55642177
that's a lot to expect under anonymity, part of the allure of this place is the chaos anyway; I couldn't be so emotionally invested here
>>
>>55642293
then why even have them?

Let's just forget them?

Forget all the great music they brought us, now they're for posers?
>>
>>55642326
Finally found out what you like then have we?

That solves this problem from now on.

brb, making a poser-core chart to spam using only those genres.
>>
>>55642321
True, I hope for a better /mu/ in the future which has jokes that are elaborate, and consist more of anons doing original and crazy things to humiliate themselves, instead of just memes.

I think you love /mu/ as I do. Peace.
>>
>>55642358
As a matter of fact I do like a few of those genres.

Doesn't make me a poser though?
>>
>>55642143
>I wasn't under the impression I did anything but...
The issue I have is that this concept is often used as a cheap way to dismiss the opinions of anyone who prefers entry level records for whatever reason.

It's nice that you say "well I'm not talking about those people", but how can you distinguish them from the superficial ones? What's the point? People listen to all kinds of music for image and unless you're a mind reader you can't really tell who. I'm sure there are plenty of people who listen to the fucking Beatles to seem cool or knowledgable.
>>
Reminder that op is dumb
>>
>>55642403
>missing the point
>>
>>55642419
I think you think the point is to dismiss genres on the grounds that you personally have conjured up the idea that these genres are supported mainly by posers.

An entire genre can't be made up of poser music.
>>
>>55642418
Who needed reminding?
>>
>>55642474
>3/4 OP image all one genre

okay m8
>>
Jesus, chill out Holden Caulfield.
>>
>>55642659
What?
>>
>>55640662
Damn, that chart is fancy.
>>
>>55642724
>An entire genre can't be made up of poser music.
>>3/4 OP image all one genre

So sub, subgenres of rock you like can't be posercore but 8 out of 12 albums all jazz, thats fine.

Idiot.
>>
>>55642789
I'll have you know I've been one of the anons who has been arguing against this whole posercore debacle in the first place

Jazz isn't posercore
>>
>yet another boring "authenticity" debate
yawn
>>
>>55642831
Good, this whole damn poser meme/buzzword bullshit is retarded.
>>
>>55640440
nice appeal to authority anon
>>
File: bach-deal-with-it.jpg (87 KB, 625x472) Image search: [Google]
bach-deal-with-it.jpg
87 KB, 625x472
>>55640440
"What the hell is jazz? Some niggers drumming on saucepans, destroying pianofortes and howling like dogs in heat?"
- Johan Sebastian Bach
>>
Can we not beat around the bush and just call posercore for what it is please?
>>
>>55643677
Dubs?
>>
>>55640134
it's called middlebrow art and it's been a phenomenon since at least the late 19th century
>>
>>55643885
>Middlebrow art consists of the albums I say it does
Oh please. Middlebrow is a meaningless pejorative used in order to vaguely call someone's authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself.

It serves no conversational function and imparts no information, save for indicating the opinions and preferences of the speaker.
>>
>>55644722
Dubs fucking confirm.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.