[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Essential/(Highly) Recommended IDM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: IDM.png (1 MB, 1149x1600) Image search: [Google]
IDM.png
1 MB, 1149x1600
So I've been looking for a good chart to listen to some IDM shit I've been missing, but I can't find anything that's nearly as comprehensive, as, say, the General /mu/core chart (https://goput.it/zix.jpg).

Now, that's understandable, since the general chart covers music in general, while an IDM chart covers a specific genre.

But then again, there ARE many albums that fit into the (somewhat loose) IDM mold. And I'm sure there are great artists out there that I'm completely sleeping on (World's End Girlfriend and Prefuse 73 are two artists I found out from you guys, and they're pretty damn good).

So, let's try to compile a more comprehensive (and up-to-date) chart of IDM records (or at least make a nice good list).

(IF you have a chart that's up-to-date with what we have now (as of May 2015, I mean), and has a fuckton of artists listed already, just post that and that'll be the end of that, though I doubt you have a list of 100+ albums of good IDM updated to the present, though if you do—please share!)
>>
Nominated
>>
>>55580234
Assume anything by, say, the people already on the "Essential 'IDM'" chart posted with the OP is already considered to be worth checking out.

We don't need people listing every Aphex Twin or Squarepusher release, since that's pretty much already a given by now. Sure, they might have some weak releases here and there (Shobaleader comes to mind), but on the whole, their careers speak for themselves.
Then again, Plaid and Clark ARE pretty underrated/not as famous considering their places in IDM/the Warp roster. But yeah, you get it. It's easy to state the obvious, but if we just recycle stuff that's also general /mu/core, like SAW 85-92, we won't really get anywhere.
>>
>>55580234
>>55580333
We should just make a best of warp records chart
>>
>>55580349
Well,…maybe. I could see a niche for that.

But IDM itself extends way further than just Warp, and even though there are many artists that just get lost in the Warp listing, I'm sure we could come up with stuff from other labels/artists.

I mean, we're including stuff like World's End Girlfriend - Hurtbreak Wonderland here (aren't we? Hurtbreak I've seen consistently rated/regarded highly here), and that's not something remotely close to Warp.
>>
>>55580417
True. Okay let's make an IDM one
>>
>>55580333
>Assume anything by, say, the people already on the "Essential 'IDM'" chart posted with the OP is already considered to be worth checking out.

Or should we not do that? I figured it would be helpful to cut to the chase and get to more obscure artists/releases, but maybe we should just start at the beginning? It's up to you guys.
>>
Am not seeing Vector Lovers on that chart
Am severely disappointed in /mu/

Also what do you gents use to discover new IDM albums and artists ever since trancecritic.com went down? I have yet to find a review site that isn't a paid off Tiesto shil
>>
>>55580519

I actually try to find thread about IDM artists, or MAYBE ask /mu/, but in a lot of cases, it's either hearing about them collaborate with others on Facebook, or checking the Beatport recommended list after I buy stuff there (yes, I actually use Beatport). Or I find record labels, like Warp, or Brainfeeder (not so much a Brainfeeder fan, actually), or Virgin Babylon Records (WEG's label), and I find stuff on there.

I think in a lot of cases, record labels are a good way to find stuff, since you kind of know what to expect. But yeah, it's a bit hard to say, isn't it?

(also sometime Fantano)
>>
>>55580469
We could divide it into sections. Start with the mid to late 80s ambient house and early acid stuff like the orb, saw 85-92, amber. Then have an early 90s section then late 90s to 2000s.

Or we could divide it by style

Idk
>>
>>55580567
>>55580570
Typically I just go to album leak sites and cross reference them with rateyourmusic
It's time-consuming, but works surprisingly well
>>
>>55580567
What happened to trancecritic, anyways? And doesn't the dude still keep a blog up or something? Maybe he can crowdfund the site back to life.
>>
>>55580594

Well, as much as style would be helpful, maybe we could divide it according to years, and then label the records according to the genres with some form of tagging (like how in the OP, certain genres are indicated by different colored borders).
>>
>>55580594
I would prefer by style
>>
>>55580668
Okay word, what's the first era?

Also any idm producers itt?
>>
>>55580668
>>55580694
Fug I vote year and then add the borders. That way we can have both
>>
File: 1428687559496.jpg (2 MB, 807x3018) Image search: [Google]
1428687559496.jpg
2 MB, 807x3018
>>55580715
I would rather have something like this and then put the year under the title
>>
>>55580668
>>55580715
>>55580775
Someone choose
>>
>>55580849
I choose we just make an entire site devoted to electronic music that isn't shit
>>
>>55580849

Separate by decades/years (whichever ends up being more helpful)

Borders according to (sub)genre.

So we can follow the progression of IDM as a whole along with how each subgenre changed over time, as opposed to just lumping everything regardless of years.

So like OP, but grouped according to years.
>>
>>55580932
That was a bit repetitive but you get what I mean.
>>
>>55580932
But won't that be extremely limited? If you try to micro-catagorize every IDM release you're going to miss out on a lot of stuff
>>
>>55580932
Okay cool where should we start? Which era?? 85-90???

>>55580700
My bandcamp: droo.bandcamp.com

Lemme know if you guys like it and I can send you a free cassette of the album
>>
>>55580974
It is a best of chart. We can have a big one too
>>
>>55580997
>best of

I can understand that for entry reasons, but we should still have either like you said an extended chart or have our cake and eat it with an entire /mu/ mini-blog.
The genre isn't exactly flourishing and needs all the exposure it can get.
>>
>>55581035
Make it as diverse as possible (trying to get the best quality possible).
>>
>>55581035
>>55580974
>micro-catagorize
Depends on how specific these subgenre categorizations are gonna be, I guess.

This would be a much newer example, but there are multiple categorizations under which you could, say, put Flying Lotus's Cosmogramma, or Hurtbreak Wonderland, under. The point would be more about whether we include those albums at all, rather than what subgenre we label them as.

Or, like in the OP, we could just make multicolored borders/markers for multiple genres.

And yeah, sure, let's make this a big fucking chart, 100+ records, at least. We might as well make that happen sometime.
>>
File: R-44709-1247420681.jpeg.jpg (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
R-44709-1247420681.jpeg.jpg
17 KB, 300x300
>>55580234
severely underrated
>>
>>55581107
>100+ records, at least
Or not, who gives a shit, really. Let's just try to do better than the 5x5 chart we already have.

>>55580983
>Okay cool where should we start? Which era?? 85-90???
Yeah, that sounds fine. We should just start from there.
>>
>>55580333
Clark turned into shitty lad-core anyway. Where's my crunchy mid-fi breaks, Clark?

CLARK!
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.