[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished listening to this and it dawned on me how most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: 150316-kendrick-lamar.png (597 KB, 820x546) Image search: [Google]
150316-kendrick-lamar.png
597 KB, 820x546
I just finished listening to this and it dawned on me how most of the music that's critically praised now a days are the type of music that is completely devoid of any unique characteristics. This album for example is what I'd imagine characters in Portlandia to think as "great". This piece of shit sounds like every other brooklynite praised lena dunham hipster SJW white guilt lauded crap thats so bland and uninteresting (both sonically and lyrically). Chance the Rapper and A$AP Rocky suffer from this too, literally 100% of what they do is just a replication of what preceded them.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that copying certain aspects of older music can allow for innovation (90's hip hop/Biggie is a good example) and catapult the genre into new places. But the artists I've mentioned do the exact opposite, they replicate with the intent to plagiarize as opposed to innovate.

I know that some people will respond with "le wrong generation" and "look harder bro xD" but the people who usually say that think Kanye's Yeezus is a good example of original music (while it is a good album, its nothing him and others haven't done before, and better).

Given the immense (and continuously accelerating) advancement of the genre since the late 80s, why haven't there been albums that do what Kool Keith did with his debut but on a whole other level? All we have are Death Grips and Drake, and while they're both great artists, nothing they've done is progressive.

I know it's impossible to rap music (from any year) that is 100% original so give me some modern day hip hop that is at the very least 70% original in terms of content. I really enjoy the work of Future and Young Thug but I can't help but think what makes them as "original" as people think are their concepts and aesthetics as opposed to the actual music. Lets have a long and healthy conversation that doesn't get sidetracked by unimportant aspects of this post (SJW, le wrong generation, nothing is truly original xD)
>>
>>55553323
did u just pull a anthony and say a bunch of big words that overall mean nothing
>>
File: 172589271562.jpg (32 KB, 280x307) Image search: [Google]
172589271562.jpg
32 KB, 280x307
>>55553323
>All we have are Death Grips and Drake, and while they're both great artists, nothing they've done is progressive.
>Drake
fuck! got me

gr8 b8
>>
>>55553323
>the people who usually say that think Kanye's Yeezus is a good example of original music (while it is a good album
>good album
thats when i knew this was a shitpost
>>
>>55553323
I agree with some of what you're saying, but I find irony in your lust for "progress" paired with your disdain for "SJWs."

>>55553352
Learn English, you goddamned dirty ape.
>>
>>55553323
>This piece of shit sounds like every other brooklynite praised lena dunham hipster SJW white guilt lauded crap thats so bland and uninteresting
>how many buzzwords can I fit into ONE sentence?
>>
>>55553408
Not every adjective that describes a demographic is a buzzword, friend.
>>
>>55553408
>brooklynite praised
>lena dunham
>hipster
>SJW
>white guilt
>not buzzwords
>>
>>55553459
meant for >>55553444
>>
>>55553459
>>55553483
Lena Dunham takes the string of descriptives out of meaninglessness.
Gives it form, so that we know -exactly- what kind of fucker he's talking about.
>>
you're pretty wrong generation my friend
>>
>>55553323
>racist detected
its 2015 anon, move on

also
>using SJW unironically
sign of a idiot with no merits in his argument
>>
>>55553323
>hipster SJW white guilt lauded crap
This is where I stopped
reading
>>
you forgot the word millenials in there op
>>
>>55553517
>>55553528
>>55553533
>>55553548
Proving OP right, with your painful show of intelligence.
>>
>>55553323
>This piece of shit sounds like every other brooklynite praised lena dunham hipster SJW white guilt lauded crap thats so bland and uninteresting (both sonically and lyrically).
Fuck off /pol/, learn to music.
>>
>>55553323
/v/ must be leaking
>>
>>55553574
You ain't gotta samefag to kick it, OP.
>>
>>55553385
It's true. Drake actually makes something different from the rest of the bunch.

He's certainly more unique than the likes of Pusha T, Big Sean, J. Cole, and others.

But in my opinion, the most original things going on in the genre right now are Chief Keef, Young Thug and Migos. Quavo even invented his own flow people started biting like mad, so everyone should give them credit for that.
>>
>>55553621
o i am laffin
>>
>>55553578
Yeah, learn to p4k, OP.
>>
>>55553528
Stupid butthurt nigger detected.

Go back to kanyetothe, chimp.
>>
>>55553574

i'm just giving him some advice, you gotta let it simmer
>>
>OP says he likes Drake, Young Thug and Future
>somehow he is a racist

?
>>
>>55553574
If you want "intelligent replies" maybe you shouldn't fill your OP with retarded buzzwords
>>
>>55553690
Anyone who criticizes p4k hyped rappers is racist.
>>
File: redvader.jpg (141 KB, 1200x1040) Image search: [Google]
redvader.jpg
141 KB, 1200x1040
Join The Empire

http://plagueon.com/
>>
>>55553323
this post shows that you've got limited knowledge of music and are probably too stubborn to accept another person's arguments anyway
you just want your point to be strengthened, but your point is wrong on several counts
>>
>>55553720

young thug got best new music
>>
>>55553748
And OP is racist for questioning the extent of their originality.
>>
>>55553323
>devoid of any unique characteristics
can you point me another mainstream rap artist who has had the balls to criticize his own race for being hypocritical in a year where they were all "kill whitey"?
>>
>>55553323
holy shit

i started reading this and was laughing at how retarded you were. but it just dawned on me how this is a copy pasta of MY original post about that shitty p4k flavor of the week album https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S54913586

idk whether to be embarrassed or flattered
>>
>>55553777

he said fuck all
>>
>>55553778
That's a pretty sweet musical innovation, I agree.
>>
>>55553323
I seriously agree.

Death Grips is taking hip hop in a new direction, I'd say they're pretty progressive.

Other than that, I'd say there's nothing new under the sun. The best you can hope for is to push a little bit farther into less explored territory, and to do something different form those before.

People will respond by citing BLACKIE, Dalek, and Techno Animals as examples that are supposed to refute our opinion but they are the kind of people who have a surface level understanding of what who DG are and what their content is about.
>>
>>55553810
>I hope you didn't come to /mu/ expecting this to be treated as anything other than a future copypasta.

damn...
>>
>>55553810
Could you use more buzzwords, you pathetic sack of shit who doesn't know what's he talking about?
>>
>>55553323
nice pasata faggot
>>
File: 1329446228392.jpg (50 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
1329446228392.jpg
50 KB, 750x563
>>
>>55553879
Is that album any good? The one in your pic. Gave it a once over and saw QOTSA and Tame Impala in there, figure it might be my cup of tea.
>>
I agree but if you disagree you're called racist, ignorant, etc. So many people who claim to be open minded will shit on you for following their beliefs or whatnot, even worse some take it to the extreme. They believe in the "you're with us or against us" thing to much
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.