[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ what is this post-rock thing all the kids are talking about?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1425264626048.jpg (58 KB, 468x423) Image search: [Google]
1425264626048.jpg
58 KB, 468x423
/mu/ what is this post-rock thing all the kids are talking about?

When I look up definitions and shit all it really says is "It's like rock, but it does different stuff that rock didn't do."

I thought that was prog? What gives here /mu/?
>>
People like to get autistic over their genres on this board, but it's all just punk, really.
Just more mature, I guess.
>>
>>55463856
Post-rock is like the opposite of punk though
>>
>>55463877
Oh, post-rock? It's just more orchestrated rock music. It's a dumb label.
>>
post-rock is a less pompous version of prog-rock that relies on feeling rather than wankery.
>>
rock tends to follow a circular progression that gets old fast, so most of the time they're pretty short in length or uses a ton of gimmicks to extend itself (drum solo, guitar solo,vocals by themselves,etc), so prog rock came out of this by figuring out how to make a song long while not feeling too repetitive or slow.

basically, it takes rock and tries to stretch it.
>>
>>55463922
nah. post rock is worse than prog in the same way that an awkward passive aggressive asshole is worse than a straight up asshole
>>
a notable '80s pop influence, in turn influenced by new wave and post punk created a landscape different than prog. Prog often made one song with parts of an album so it never really ends, where Post Rock tends to have an album of five or six 6-10 minute songs (or in case of GSY!BE five or six 20 minute songs) that can be taken as singles, but ultimately work best in the whole album format.
>>
>>55463908
That's third wave.
First wave was music that isn't rock made with rock instruments.
>>
This thread finally proves it. No one on /mu/ knows the what Prog and Post rock are.
>>
>>55463833
It's like... classical music... with rock instruments, I think.
You care more about the sound rather than the melody and such.
>>
>>55463833
Post-rock is rock but EXTREMELY EXXXAAAGGGERRRATTTEEEDDDDDDD

super drawn out sections, and much more atmospheric
>>
>>55463833
Post-rock is like classicuhl music but with rawk instrumentation
>>
>>55463963
good analogy
>>
>>55463833
Is that tooms from X-files?
>>
There's no way of knowing.
>>
>>55463922
I like to think of it more as prog rock without the songs
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.