[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ admits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 9
File: ec1.jpg (199 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ec1.jpg
199 KB, 500x500
Admit stuff that seems unacceptable on /mu/

>I haven't listened to ITAOTS
>I skimmed through Loveless and wasn't interested
>I think Fantano's a great, well-articulated reviewer, even when I disagree with him
>Flatlander is the most important member of Death Grips
>>
>>55428982
>>Flatlander is the most important member of Death Grips
Sort of. They wouldn't be nearly as good or really have as much of a varied appeal without Flatlander but without Zach Hill they wouldn't have as much credibility and without MC Ride they wouldn't sound or look anywhere near the same.
>>
>>55428982
I fucking despise Animal collective. Not like condescendingly either. I like all of /mu/core very much and am not really that picky or pretentious with my taste, but I cannot fucking stand Animal Collective and their fan base.
>>
BLUR GOAT
>>
>OP is a generic memerap pleb who can't into real music and listens to whatever Fantano tells him to listen to
Nothing to see here. Just your average neo-/mu/ thread.
>>
i only listen to memerap and i desperately want someone to save me from it.
>>
If this is neo /mu/ I am really upset time to leave this board forever
>>
>>55429111
Suicide is the only way out.
>>
>>55429129
its a downward spiral

got me suicidal

but too afraid to do it so these pills'll be the rifle.
>>
>>55429053
doesn't seem much like an unpopular opinion these days
>>
>>55428982
i think that arctic monkeys are decent.
>>
>>55429111
you need early nine inch nails
>>
I hate niggers and their meme music.
>>
>I've never listened to any mucore, which isnt asian
>I only listen to non english music
>>
>>55429053
what don't you like about their fan base?
>>
Why is Tyler such a disgusting sweaty nigger

Imagine his big smelly sweaty nigger dick
>>
>>55429244
That's fine if you aren't from a mainly English-speaking place or something.

Also do things like ITCOTCK and Piper at the Gates of Dawn count as /mu/core? Or no, because they have mainstream acceptance?
>>
>>55429278
Pretentious, defend everything the band does like they are divine. I have faked my way through conversations with Animal Collective fans as a joke, the key is to talk about literally anything besides the music.
>>
>>55429324
>Imagine his big smelly sweaty dick
ew. no
>>
I hate hip hop
>>
>>55429349
That doesn't really change things. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy had serious mainstream acceptance and it's been /mu/-core for some time now albeit it is fading a bit. ITCOTCK isn't discussed nearly at all but I'd be against removing it from the /mu/-"Cannon" mostly because I still think more people should hear it even after all this time.
>>
>>55429053
Agreed
>>
>>55429078
>OP is a generic memerap pleb who can't into real music and listens to whatever Fantano tells him to listen to

I do listen to some hip-hop, but honestly not that much. I don't know to what extent you consider "memerap", but I think you're misconstruing some things here.

>real music
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
>commence the "I'm more patrician than you" circlejerk
>>
>>55429278
you
>>
>>55429450
so is the "/mu/-canon" the same thing as "/mu/core"?

I know this might seem like a kind of tedious/useless question, but too bad, you're on /mu/.
>>
File: 1305419751543.png (23 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1305419751543.png
23 KB, 400x400
>>55429450
>ITCOTCK isn't discussed nearly at all
>>
>>55429032
I agree 100%
>>
>>55429453
I think I genuinely hate people saying "Agreed.", something about it just rubs me the wrong way. Not even trying to be a parody or anything, it just peeves me. It's like instead of saying "I Agree" as if it's superior to just saying "I Agree." I just have this image in my mind of everyone thinking they must sound in other people's heads like Picard from Star Trek when they say "Agreed" as if it has some commanding feeling above saying "I agree". Eugh.
>>
the band really just needs all three of them to function and sound as they do but still for actual importance i'd say

Zach Hill > MC Ride > Flatlander
>>
I see the merit and influence Can has and can respect that, but it just kind of seems like rock that had the life completely sucked out of it
>>
>>55429206
Hey... me too man
>>
>>55429497
ITCOTCK isn't an albumj you seem to see discussed much anymore out of the album cover being posted in discussions with an unrelated response or as a reaction.

>>55429494
Basically yeah. If you want I suppose you could consider /mu/ cannon as what's presently being popularly listened to and discussed and /mu/ core as the albums that have been discussed to the point that we consider them albums that deserve to be heard (This keeps Trout Mask Replica's scraggly hobo ass in it's pen), but it's easier to just say they mean the same thing.
>>
>>55429525
Agreed
>>
>>55429032
Completely agree
>>
Sufjan Stevens is a rebranded and little different owl city.

Aphex twin sounds weird. I wish it had lyrics.

Gorillaz is a great band. Blur is eh.

Cage the Elephant deserves more dicussion on here

Congradulations by MGMT is a 9/10
>>
>>55429652
Yah Cage the Elephant is great
>Aberdeen is there best song
>>
>>55429586
Agreed
>>
>>55429111
You bumpin' dat KOOL AD?
>>
I haven't listened to literally any /mu/-core at all and just explore my preferred genres and discuss them in their appropriate threads.
There are some pretty popular genres that I haven't ever even listened to once.
>>
>>55429365
The shitty ones. I can say that Animal Collective definitely have shitty albums. My favorite thing is when somebody talks about how they dislike CHz or DM (rightfully so) and people call them p4k drones.
>>
>>55429693
Disagreed.
>>
>>55429206
They're a good band, they've just gotten worse on each album.
>>
Yung Lean is great
>>
>>55429206
first album yes, all others no
>>
>>55429738
I enjoy both those albums and I can totally understand how someone wouldn't. I just really hate it when someone calls them shit without backing it up. Like honestly, if you don't like DM, maybe you should realize it isn't made for you and its more of an experiment than a cohesive album. CHz has some weird production going on, but still has solid song writing. I just think the backlash against AnCo after CHz had a lot to do with Pitchforks review and a lot people won't even give the album a chance because of that.
>>
>>55429652
Sufjan can actually write interesting songs though

Aphex Twin is great, some of his songs do have lyrics. You should listen to some more.

Gorillaz are great and Blur are eh. This is a common opinion on /mu/.

Cage the Elephant are ok, their latest is pretty good, I agree with you here.

and nah.
>>
>>55429847
Agreed.
>>
>been lurking /mu/ for months
>I downloaded Björk just an hour ago
>>
I don't consider music a big part of my life, I just come here for recommendations.
It really has expanded what I listen to a lot though.
>>
>>55429755
>>55429818
They were actually getting better with each album until suck it and see.
>>
>>55429652
++ for cage. i was just wondering the other day why you guys never talk about them.
>>
>>55429953
This. Really loved ITATOS and Loveless, and other mucore things that are easy to listen to, but I can't even begin to understand something like Swans or merzbow. I'm very unmusical and can't appreciate anything not poppy enough.
MPP is my favourite AC album.
>>
>>55429160
nice Danny Brown m8
>>
>>55429652
>Sufjan Stevens is a rebranded and little different owl city.
Never was interested in Sufjan until you said that. I might go check it out then.
>>
I only came to this board on a whim five months ago and now regularly come here and take part in discussion.
>tfw newfags will always be hated.
>>
>>55429652
>Aphex twin sounds weird. I wish it had lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqTKOq8DmWU
>>
>>55429824
See? This is a prime example actually.

The words "you should realize it isn't made for you" is the most pretentious, irrelevant reasoning to attack someone with when they say they don't like an album. Why does it really fucking bother you when someone doesn't like something they make? They didn't like it, big fucking deal. Doesn't intrude on your opinion of the album. Just leave it alone.
>>
File: 1415660834246.gif (2 MB, 388x218) Image search: [Google]
1415660834246.gif
2 MB, 388x218
>>55428982
>most of my favourite artists are well known
>most of my favourite albums are regarded as classics
>I can count on two hands how many albums released in 2014 I actually listened to start to finish
>I seriously have no idea how you guys have time to listen to as much music as you do
>I am friendly
>Appetite for Destruction is one of my favourite 80s albums
>I think The Wall is a masterpiece, like most music fans outside this board
>I think A Night at the Opera is a masterpiece
>>
>>55429652
>Aphex twin sounds weird
yep. I like that, though.
>I wish it had lyrics.
I honestly don't see how lyrics could fit half the time, unless it's like that Aegiopolis remix that Die Antwoord did (Ugly Boy, I think it's called).
What kind of lyrics would you want on an AFX song? Singing or rapping? What timbre/style/subject matter? I'm somewhat curious.
>>
>>55429768
IFL the first half of Unknown Death 2002
>>
File: 48d.png (27 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
48d.png
27 KB, 527x409
>>55429768
even in this thread—are you trolling?
>>
File: Bjack_The_FUck_up.jpg (50 KB, 398x603) Image search: [Google]
Bjack_The_FUck_up.jpg
50 KB, 398x603
>>55429951
Which album anon?
Dammit, my big reactions folder is on my other computer.
>>
>>55430116
its called being a pleb
>>
>you share a board with all these plebs
>>
>>55429875
>some of his songs do have lyrics
Which ones? I know there are ones where he samples some words ("What's with that big face?" etc.) but I can't think of a proper "lyrical" AFX song off the top of my head.
>>
>>55430116
yeah, what are you doing here?
>>
>>55430122
See >>55430085
These lyrics really fit the song
He has similar style on other songs as well, like To Cure A Weakling Child or Beetles
>>
>>55430174
I mean it is mostly just repeated phrases (come to daddy etc etc, the only really lyrical song I can think of is milkman and they're dumb af) and quite sparse in his discog. But the fact OP can't think of them makes it sound like he hasn't properly listened to enough Aphex.
>>
>>55430064
>Swans or merzbow
Swans is a LOT more accessible than Merzbow.
I like Swans but I can't get into Merzbow.

What about Death Grips? Despite being really abrasive, they make thinly-veiled pop songs most of the time (in terms of verse/chorus structures and stuff like that).
>>
>>55428982
>>55429032
>>55429528
Reminder that Andy Morin =/= Flatlander
It's also not MC Ride.
>>
>>55430112
>attack
It's more of a defense when someone else has attacked a band or album
>>
>>55430142
I am not. It is chill music. No thinking, just listening. It makes my body feel different
>>
>>55430255
To my ears, swans might as well be merzbow... I'll try them again though now you've said that. But I warn you, even GYBE is too up-pop for me. I really am a pleb when it comes to music.

I can do some DG. I like Ive Seen Footage and a lot of TMS. The other stuff I can't get into though.

Probably the least poppy album I still like is STGSTV
>>
>>55430112
>pretentious, irrelevant reasoning to attack someone
Are you implying that albums, like other commercial products/things people consume in society, don't have specific demographic(s) that they appeal to?

Like, if I played Taylor Swift to a 50-year old metalhead, and he says "it's terrible", wouldn't "you should realize it isn't made for you" be a good response?

Or, for example, I'm not into Merzbow, but other people seem to get it—isn't it correct to say that Merzbow's music isn't "made for me"?
>>
>>55430174
Milkman does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-knOGoRYhE0
>>
>>55430116
>I think A Night at the Opera is a masterpiece
I think so, too. People don't talk about Queen enough on this board.
>>
>>55430274
>Andy Morin =/= Flatlander
>not MC Ride

Wait, what? Explain?
>>
>>55430274
Wait, so what the hell's the difference? Fairly sure it's just his stage name, is Flatlander just Andy Morin with glasses or something who is who then?
>>
>>55430396
Flatlander and MC Ride are made up nicknames

Flatlander comes from it being the name of DG originally

MC Ride is actually only referred to as Ride, the MC was added on by fans

He's just circlejerking because he thinks he's special for knowing really basic shit about death grips
>>
>>55430322
That's all well and good, I'm not implying that. Im saying people who discredit someone for not liking an album by saying, "this wasnt meant for you" implies that it went over your head or something. Sometimes you might just not like it.
>>
>>55430429
source? I had no idea.
>>
>>55430396
>>55430418
http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/suspicious-minds-the-resolute-mission-of-death-grips

>Andy’s an audio engineer (He’s also not ‘AKA Flatlander’ - “it’s basically subtext for Death Grips, so when we use that name it’s an alias signature for something that we all made together,” says Hill. “I don’t think anyone else has really stated that yet.”)

Stefan also hasn't been referred to as "MC Ride". I've only found one instance where he was called Ride, and that's from an old 2011 interview.
>>
I'm deaf but I shitpost all the time
>>
>>55430498
:^)
>>
>>55430569
right back atcha ;)
>>
I've never listened to AnCo and I don't plan to because I don't care.

I think dadrock is great.

I enjoy some memerap. But not much.

Chance's Acid Rap was very meh.

Cherry Bomb a shit.
>>
>>55430116
That's because appetite for destruction is one of the best rock records ever. It's not supposed to be art Or innovative to be good. It's just they do simple rock really well. You can't tell me that Axl rose isn't an amazing singer, you can't tell me slash and izzy didn't have great chemistry, you can't tell me duff and Steven werent locked in ever second on that record. Appetite for destruction is what rock should be.
>>
Loveless sounds really boring to me but I enjoy most shoegaze. As a genre though it loses its appeal fast, I don't know why /my/ dickrides it so hard.
>>
>>55430767
>Appetite for destruction is what rock should be
I agree with you until that sentence.

*AFD is what HARD rock should be.

As a hard rock album it's pretty GOAT, not gonna lie. Better than the nu-metal influenced, mid-scooping shit that came out afterwards.
>>
>>55430811
>/my/
>>
>>55430813
Yeah sorry that's what I meant. But I can see why people don't think it's innovative and I agree it's not. But not a good record ? That's retarded to say that.
>>
ITAOTS is unironically my favourite album
>>
Psychocandy > Suicide > Yerself is Steam > Loveless
>>
Tswift is great
>>
>>55430877
Me too. I hate it because whenever I tell people I worry they know /mu/ and they'll think it's just me being a memer.
>>
>>55429053
>I cannot fucking stand Animal Collective and their fan base.

This is a popular sentiment on /mu/, though
>>
>>55430877
I have no favorite album.
>>55430958
I think that's fine, we have threads dedicated to that exact topic.
>>
Yeezus and MBDTF are fantastic, they're his two best albums.
>>
>>55430877
Honest to god, my first thoughts when first finishing In the Aeroplane Over the Sea was "This would be a very easy pick for someone to say this is the greatest album of all time."
>>
>>55431085
if you said 808s, THEN it would have been unacceptable.

Also what was with that meme, of 808s being the "heaviest album of all time", or something like that?
>>
>>55431085
I think yeezus is great. I think all of his older stuff is horrible. Especially MBDTF. I cant wait for All day album. This is not bait
>>
>>55430302
lol
>>
>>55431015
/tsg/ is a shadow of what it could be.
>>
bump for AnCo discussion
>>
>>55431732
I can't get into them.
>>
>>55431732
theyre bad because i dont like them
>>
>>55429652
Congratulations is a great album. Easily their best.
>>
>>55429652
this is the most underage board of all goddamn time
>>
>>55431876
I don't like them because they're bad
>>
>>55432054
I didn't say that alright faggot
>>
>>55431993
>implying you aren't one too
>>
>>55432081
he never said you did
>>
>>55431732
I don't like them at all but wish I did because most of the fans seem tight with each other.
>>
File: cal.jpg (7 KB, 258x257) Image search: [Google]
cal.jpg
7 KB, 258x257
i thought we liked fantango
>>
>>55432196
the haters are more vocal and /mu/tants are not one entity of thought
>>
>>55432111
like i said i never said i did
>>
>>55432196
Not after he killed Cal

#Justice4Cal
>>
File: cal in hell.png (124 KB, 224x323) Image search: [Google]
cal in hell.png
124 KB, 224x323
>>55432291

"tell them what happened, antney"
>>
>>55428982
Fantano should not be considered a serious reviewer because he has "joke reviews" and retarded skits.

A lot of Metal is good

Death Grips are terrible, none of their albums deserve anything above a 7.5 (Jenny Death was a 7.5 everything else is under)

MBV and GY!BE are both boring beyond belief.

Learning theory is essential to being a great musician.

Kanye is terrible.

TMR is fucking shit. One of the worst albums Ive ever heard and people trying to make something deep out of a crazy homeless man mumbling are idiots.

No member of Odd Future has talent except maybe Earl and Frank.

Classical and Jazz are the genres with the most talent.
>>
>>55432476
>Fantano should not be considered a serious reviewer because he has "joke reviews" and retarded skits.
Since P4k doesn't do that, should they be considered seriously?

Just because occasionally he cracks a joke here and there doesn't mean his points aren't concise or well articulated and thought out, which is what ultimately what reviewing comes down to.
>>
>>55432476
>GY!BE are both boring beyond belief
Whaaaat
Even Slow Riot? You must be kidding.

>>55432476
>No member of Odd Future has talent except maybe Earl and Frank.
Everyone thinks this
>>
File: shitopinion.jpg (101 KB, 584x649) Image search: [Google]
shitopinion.jpg
101 KB, 584x649
>>55432476
>A lot of Metal is good
>MBV and GY!BE are both boring beyond belief
>Kanye is terrible
>TMR is fucking shit
>Classical and Jazz are the genres with the most talent

Good luck passing 8th grade.
>>
>>55432582
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNS2lFLHedE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKmbySC3V6U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45xt7d6L538
This is not a legitimate review of an album. It his him eating food in front of a webcam or being autistic.

He should not be taken seriously. This is not professional. If you don't like an album, you give a concise and clear reason why you don't like it and give it a low score.
>>
>>55432476
Even if TMR is just a crazy homeless man mumbling, it is still very unique and that makes it worth listening to in it's own right imo. Also, Scaruffi says its good so fuck you
>>
File: 1381888739839.jpg (62 KB, 496x501) Image search: [Google]
1381888739839.jpg
62 KB, 496x501
>>55432476
>Classical and Jazz are the genres with the most talent
>>
>>55432838
If you enjoy it good for you but I don't like it.

>>55432866
>responding with a meme
>>
>>55432997
your opinions are a meme
>>
>>55432729
These are albums he would have shoved in YUNO Review anyway. He decided to have fun with them.

Even then, these "joke" reviews don't make his actual "serious" reviews less legitimate. If you want to criticize him, you'd have to do it by citing something he did as a serious review. You're basically just cherrypicking, here. He has a few joke reviews; that doesn't make his ACTUAL reviews in which he explains his points unprofessional.
>>
>>55428982
I refuse to listen to Ys after listening to 5 seconds of it
>>
>>55432997
being this edgy
>>
>>55433058
you don't seem to know what a meme is
>>
>>55433094
fuck off
>>
>>55433094
just because i don't actively browse KYM and listen to fedora-tier music doesn't mean i don't know what a meme is
>>
>>55431876
underrated post
>>
>>55428982
Kid A is the most overrated album I have ever listened to
>>
>>55433116
>your opinions are a meme

doesn't make sense as an insult, especially when you're responding to
>responding with a meme
so yeah. You either don't know what a meme is, or you're just pretending to be retarded. Take your pick.
>>
>>55433175
>>>/reddit/
why are you trying to defend you saying meme this much
>>
>>55433173
Really? I thought it was a fine pop album.
>>
>>55433246
I'm not defending anything, I'm just saying
>your opinions are a meme
is a nonsensical response.
>>
>>55433294
your opinions are a meme. take one look at any popular music video or ANYTHING made in the past year and you will see opinions exactly like yours, made by close-minded middle-schoolers.
>>
>>55433345
>exactly like yours

You're clearly talking to the wrong person, then, since you're responding to someone who hasn't stated an opinion.
>>
Talk Talk was Radiohead before Radiohead
>>
ive known about nmh long before i ever visited /mu/, and have wanted to like them for years now but i just cant have any feelings for itaots stronger than a mild appreciation

>>55429652
>Sufjan Stevens is a rebranded and little different owl city.
the first time i listened to sufjan i thought this too (within the first 30 seconds) and immediately lost interest because of it
odd that someone else thinks the same though, because i gave him another try last year and hes become one of my favourite artists; i cant hear the owl city thing at all any more and have no idea how i once did
>>
I think Fantano is a good reviewer.
I think deadmau5 is good
>>
>Never listened to Death Grips
>I love mc chris
>>
>>55433373
i thought you were the anon with the shit opinions.
Either way, >>55433175 doesn't even make sense, and you're trying to create an argument out of memes, which is laughable on its own.
>>
>>55429824
Danse is mediocre for the most part with some good tracks. Overall it's not very interesting though.

Centipede Hz I've made a billion posts on why it's bad because people refuse to see my point of view. But, it's a trainwreck. They tried to take the raw pop and rock sounds from Strawberry Jam and use Merriweather's polished sound on it. There is nothing new it does, and it is even worse than Strawberry Jam (which I already thought was pretty mediocre). I also kinda take back the NOTHING new, because while it sounds pretty similar to SJ. There's this weird reggae vibe they tried to push in a few tracks, which was horrible. The album is by far their least memorable release and it is a flat out mess at times. Rosie Oh! is the worst track I've heard Panda Bear on ever, Monkey Riches tries to go for this disjointed element that doesn't work (though the ending is kinda neat, but the payoff isn't enough for the god awful start), Father Time is flat out annoying and has the reggae style at its worst and there are so many forgettable tracks (some of the ones I just mentioned included).

The things that Centipede Hz does right, are Panda Bear's drumming is at its best on this album and there are a few tracks that are kinda interesting. Overall though, it's one of the worst follow ups to a crtically acclaimed release in existence. Which really they can't control that, so that doesn't make it worse.

The only tracks I liked personally on Centipede Hz were Moonjock, Today's Supernatural, Wide Eyed (I love Deakin's Voice), New Town Burnout and while over-rated, Amanita is decent. Besides that I either hated or thought the rest were extremely meh.
>>
>>55432729
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9464-shine-on/ Just saying, if Fantano can't be taken seriously, neither can Pitchfork. Which I'm fine with; fuck pitchfork.
>>
>>55433444
>I think deadmau5 is good
Nice trips

dubs confirm
>>
>>55434216
Unconfirmed because, clearly, deadmau5 is not good.
>>
>>55429160
lol
>>
>>55428982
>wasn't interested about Loveless or any Animal Collective album
>I unironically like Tyler, the Creator
>Fantano is a nice reviewer. Strong opinions n shit, but I disagree with him a lot of times
>Blur, and the rest of Damon Albarn works are good.
>>
>>55434255
>I unironically like Tyler, the Creator
What was your opinion on Cherry Bomb?
Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.