[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is incredible.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: The Epic.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
The Epic.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1200
This album is incredible.
>>
Best:
Miss Understanding
Worst:
The Rhythm Changes
Overrated:
The Message
Underrated:
Henrietta Our Hero

This hype train needs more fuel ugh jazz aoty
>>
>>55406378
how many jazz albums from this year have you heard
>>
>>55406404
5, but a) the year is young and b) there are many other genres to be listened to

I feel like it's the same person every time crying overrated for this album that has LESS THAN 20 rym ratings
>>
>>55405915
Oh perfect timing for some new memejazz.

I think everybody was starting to get bored with BBNG
>>
>>55406404
Not same anon but OP:
Chris Potter - Imaginary Cities is awesome
Vijay Iyer - Break Stuff
Chris Dave and the Drumhedz Mixtape
Troyka - ORNITHOPHOBIA
>>
>>55406619
>memejazz

how is that even fucking possible. hardly anyone on here listens to jazz. BBNG hasn't been posted on here in a long time, and is hardly ever posted in jazz specific threads.

this all is moot anyways since you don't listen to jazz.
>>
>>55406616
>5

lol
>>
>>55406684
>memejazz

You know, jazz for people who don't actually like jaz
>>
>>55406758
I agree with BBNG on that point but way disagree with OP.

Not every jazz album has to be free jazz or steve lehman. Mingus, Cannonball, Monk, Miles, etc. all did compositional jazz at some point.
>>
>>55406758
But The Epic IS straight ahead jazz, a good 50% of the album is full on modal
>>
File: ritter.gif (4 MB, 600x336) Image search: [Google]
ritter.gif
4 MB, 600x336
>>55406905
*psst* he hasn't actually listened to it yet.
>>
link?
>>
>>55407084
Archive
>>
>>55407084
On mobile but I'll post a mega in about 15 min
>>
>>55406996
This is just bad trolling. Have YOU heard the album? It does go into more easy listening territory on the standards, and definitely incorporates funk (re run home) and free-ish jazz (seven prayers), but a majority of it is str8 modal jazz or contemporary jazz (which is indebted to modal anyway)
>>
>>55407158
Yes I have which is why I was saying anyone who says it isn't 'jazz' enough hasn't taken the ~3 hours to actually listen to it. Probably heard the first track and moved on.
>>
>>55407219
Oh I'm sorry m8 I thought you were saying I hadn't. Fuck me sideways
>>
>>55407306
Nah just a friendly tip that memejazz anon was full of shit.
>>
>>55407084
https://mega.co.nz/#F!uJNhhDjI!2Q2mjO636pqNyri8M-sDpg
>>
>>55407373
suck my dick, jazz never will be a meme
>>
>>55407788
that was my entire point.
>>
>>55407703
hey man thx
>>
>>55407703
Thanks, anon!
>>
>>55407219
he didn't say it's not jazz. kind of blue is also jazz for people that don't like jazz. it's still total jazz, but memesters pretend to love it to fill out their musical palette. this new album is also memejazz along the same lines.
>>
Good album, one of my favorites of the year so far. Definitely not "memejazz"
>>
>>55408192
That doesn't speak to the quality of the music though. As long as I listen to it and respect the mature soloing and exciting arrangements (of which it has lots of both), rather than the aesthetic, I'm not doing anything wrong.

What's with our obsession with memes anyway? EVERY album on this board that has more than, say, 500 ratings on RYM is automatically a meme. Some music has to be more popular than other music...
>>
>>55409517
I really hate the obsession with memes. It just becomes popular to flood every discussion with some bullshit reason to discard an album without listening to it.

Even the humor is fucking annoying sometimes. I'm not defending Blur but holy shit it's impossible to have a discussion about them on /mu/ now, and I guarantee most of the people shitposting about it haven't even listened to The Magic Whip - on both sides.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.