[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you want out of a rhythm section/drums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
So, there's live drums, electronic/programmed drums, ambient music with no drums, syncopated rhythms, electronic drums played with a live drummer (a la Zach Hill in Death Grips), crazy rhythms, simple 4/4 dance rhythms, IDM/breakbeat freakouts, jazz drumming, improvisation, subby 808 drums, dry live drums, etc…

Lots of aspects in drums/rhythm/percussion sections. What do you want from the music you listen to/like the most? What's IMPORTANT to you when you listen to drums?

(Also let's not forget that drums aren't necessarily the only parts in a rhythm section, either.)

Kind of a /DG/ Drum General kind of deal, but mainly about what you want out of drums/good examples of drum or rhythm sections, etc.
>>
>2 drummers
>>
That they are expressive, tasteful, and well played.

This basically means that 90% of drums in music end up being very boring.
>>
>>55378083
Death Grips makes some cool music for sure but Zach Hill's drumming is really annoying. It's hardly technically proficient, instead relying on a blur of single-stroke rolls that so often fall off tempo that it moves past the point of "tastefully in and out of time, creating a nice pocket" to "uncomfortably missing the beat."

He's cute though.
>>
>>55378110
>expressive, tasteful, and well played.
elaborate? What do you mean by that, exactly?
>>
>>55378216

point out one instance where Zach "misses the beat"
>>
>>55378272
https://youtu.be/BinKCtUTWBA?t=118

That was easy. It actually happens twice right here.
>>
>>55378083
I always look for new and interesting beats.
technical skill is nice too, but not always necessary

I like stuff like this where the beat is not just the same as everything else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtoitUv1yMA
>>
Do you guys prefer live drums, even if there are electronic beats there already? (like some hip-hop stuff).

Also what do you think about breakbeats? Like the Amen Break and shit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ikhatPxNE

Billy Cobham on drums. Not sure the name of the bassist.

This is supreme stuff. The drummer goes on multi-bar fill benders and the bassist is keeping everything in time while playing an absurd line. It probably doesn't get any better.
>>
What do you drummers think of Shigeto? I don't play drums, so I think he's great, but what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DduNRXh3h3o
>>
>>55378306
I'm not a drummer, so it's hard to tell which part exactly you're talking about. Could you post the times in the video where the beat is off?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.