[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Christgau's 'best of the 2000s'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: Untitled.png (105 KB, 641x595) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
105 KB, 641x595
What do you think of Christgau's 'best of the 2000s' list?
>>
>>55375446
embarrasing
>>
amazing how he managed to type all that out while using both hands to jerk off black dicks
>>
>>55375446
Scauffi's is much better
>>
I loved
>"The Collge Dropout"

Am I supposed to take this shit seriously?
>>
>>55375474
o i am laffin
>>
>>55375446
trash
>>
>disagree with critic's subjective opinions
>"WOW SO TERRIBLE"

/mu/ is really full of children.
>>
>>55375488
where can i find scruffy's?
>>
File: vomit.png (34 KB, 210x210) Image search: [Google]
vomit.png
34 KB, 210x210
>>55375446
>the Moldy Peaches
>>
>>55375514
>disagree with statements made about someone's opinion
>"U"RE ALL CHILREN"

yikes /b/rother
>>
>>55375488
>>55375536
Scaruffi is garbage.

One retort I've heard against Scaruffi-haters is that people say "Scaruffi values innovation! He doesn't like anyone who is derivative!"

If that's so, then why does he have Elliott Carter's Symphony of Three Orchestras on his GOAT list? Accessible here under "Most significant works of music 1950-1990 ": http://www.scaruffi.com/jazz/best100.html

That work is derivative of Stockhausen's Gruppen, which already performed the same concept.

>Gruppen (German: Groups) for three orchestras (1955–57) is amongst the best-known compositions of German composer Karlheinz Stockhausen, and is Work Number 6 in the composer's catalog of works. Gruppen is "a landmark in 20th-century music . . . probably the first work of the post-war generation of composers in which technique and imagination combine on the highest level to produce an undisputable masterpiece" (Smalley 1967, 794).

Similarly, why is Shostakovich's 15th Symphony placed on the almighty altar of #1, when it is but a footnote in his Ouerve particularly compared to his 14th Symphony, which utilized radical instrumentation choices as well as causing massive protest over its stark portrayal of death?

>The absence from the symphony of redemption or transcendence drew protests not only in the Soviet Union but also in the West, where the work was considered both obsessive and limited spiritually. Shostakovich was determined to avoid false consolation. This intent was a prime stimulus in writing the work. Some have found that the work's embracing of human mortality has been expressed with tremendous clarity.[12] Others have found the work bleakly pessimistic and, especially in its opening De Profundis, virtually nihilistic. Regardless of opinion, the Fourteenth in performance is agreed to be a profound and powerful experience.[13]
>>
>>55375556
The point is that you think his opinion is garbage.
If you can't see the idiocy in that, wow.
>>
Christgau is honest, has a sense of humor and writes well. I don't always agree with him, of course, but the dude is a good critic -- far better than the likes of Scaruffi and Fantano.
>>
Please tell me this is b8.
>>
>>55375562
I agree with your opinion
>>
>>55375726
>progressive, metal, artsy fartsy rock are made by boring pretentious white dudes
>hip hop is really a cultural revolution, up to date with the struggles of modern society, danceable and funky
>has a sense of humor
You mean he tries to be witty when writing his shallow reviews, often throwing buzzwords instead of focusing on the music, right?

Also the overwhelming presence of hiphop garbage in his list shows his love for the BBC and the proto-SJW aspects of his taste.
>>
File: laughingwhores.jpg (11 KB, 238x212) Image search: [Google]
laughingwhores.jpg
11 KB, 238x212
>>55375446
>that top 5
is he more of a joke than scaruffi?
>>
>>55375856
>BBC and the proto-SJW
Those are some nice memes sir but could we get some arguments or maturity to go with them?
>>55375891
You can't evaluate critics based on whether or not you agree with them.
>>
>>55375975
lol
>>
>>55375446
There are plenty of albums from the same decade that I prefer to those thirty. But whatever. To each their own.
>>
>>55375902
No we can't, Christgau also has no maturity or respect for artistry, he rates albums based on how much he likes the style and the imagery of the band.

If anything tries getting more experimental he'll make a shitty joke and get on giving Nicki Minaj and Waka Flocka A-.
>>
>>55376047
This poster is mad because Christgau dissed his favorite metal album.
>>
>The Rough Guide to...
>Immediately confirmed for the lazy tokenism of a thoroughbred pleb
>>
>>55375856

>progressive, metal, artsy fartsy rock are made by boring pretentious white dudes

This is mostly true though. Regardless of SJW or whatever, Rap music has evolved enormously in the last 20 years and has a very broad palette of different subject matter, personalities, lyrics, prosody, instrumentation, etc.

While Rock and especially Metal literally stopped evolving around 1985. Although Metal had a last gasp in the 90s. But for the past 15 years it's all been drab as fuck. Same instruments, same lyrics, same vocals, same tempos, same aesthetics, same everything.

>learn modes
>learn arpeggios
>CRUNCH
>FUZZ
>TACKATACKATAKCA
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESATANGOREDEATHFUCKYOUMOM

I don't even like Rap. I don't even like Christgau. I think he's a flaming faggot whose reviews boil down to whether or not he likes it. But he's right on the money in regards to Rock and Rap.
>>
>>55375446
this can't be his list lol..
>>
>>55375446
Half washed-up old hacks and half radio rap. Brilliant.
>>
>>55375856
>>55376719
What this guy said.

No real, seminal Rock album has been released since arguably Daydream Nation, maybe Doolittle.

Everything else has been rehashing the past. Rock is dead in terms of innovation.
>>
File: 1428416632227.jpg (257 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1428416632227.jpg
257 KB, 1000x1000
>>55376169
>caring about what Christgau thinks
>>
>>55376169
Get out of here Christgau.
>>
He's right about Kala
>>
Yea MIA is good fun and all, wouldn't put it number 1 of the decade though. The rest is absolutely unacceptable
>>
>>55375446

yikes
>>
The carter 3 over Kid A. I don't think so bud.
>>
>>55377744

Kid A is SO BORING

the worst part is it pretends to be experimental when it's just pop music, which makes it unbearably pretentious

not that I like Lil Wayne, but I give him credit for not being boring at least, let alone pretending he's making a masterpiece
>>
>>55378234
Okay Kid
>>
>>55375562
>>55375726
^^Only good posts in the thread.
>>
>>55378309

ehhhh!

but seriously, Radiohead bring the same degree of experimentation to their music as David Bowie: precisely none - of their own at least

they just packaged other artists innovations into a pop amalgam they knew people would buy. but it's not dramatically different from any electro-based pop music, no matter what you heard from Pitchfork
>>
>D+
>>
it's shit
>>
>>55378566
Christgau doesn't like things which aren't true to their genres.
He thinks KC is a group trying to make Rock into more than, he personally believes, Rock is.

I'm not sure if Christgau thinks of Rock as an artform but he certainly doesn't like groups that take themselves too seriously.

But when you look at stuff like his Classical Reviews, you see much higher scores. Probably because he sees classical music as more legitimately artful.

These are his opinions.
>>
>>55376719
>Metal literally stopped evolving around 1985

Wow.

Tell me more about how black people gloating over a beat is a progressive cultural artform
>>
>>55378791
best post
>>
>>55378566

Thats pretty accurate.
>>
>>55378791
Metalhead detected.
>>
>>55378791
underaged b&
>>
>>55375562
when will you give up?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.