[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how come literally every "conscious rapper" i've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: tumblr_mxr43tNZ6N1t1ova9o5_400.jpg (26 KB, 400x342) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxr43tNZ6N1t1ova9o5_400.jpg
26 KB, 400x342
how come literally every "conscious rapper" i've ever heard of buys into 5% nation and/or NOI garbage? Doesn't being conscious mean being above narrow minded cult like thinking.

Ever since I've heard TPAB I can't take any of this shit seriously anymore. Most "black power" bullshit is just hypocrisy. When I listen to Public Enemy I realize that what they are advocating is not so much the liberation of black people from the prison industrial complex but the right not to be criticized. The main message is "yeah I am a homophobic, misogynist anti-semitic piece of shit but MYY PEOPLE BEING PERSECUTED G! ONLY GAWWWWDDD CAN JUDGE ME"

How come not a single of these fucks has said "No farrakhan, a UFO is not going to come down and kill all white people. No farrakhan white people were not created 5,000 years ago by a black scientist with two heads. No Farrakhan siding with Scientologists makes you a corrupt piece of shit, you don't represent my people." Instead they line up behind this wrinkled old tay zonday lookin motherfucker like he is their god. And we, the audience, are supposed to regard this hypocrisy as "knowledge" all because they use bigger words and wear misplaced african garb
>>
Because you're listening to late 80s/early 90s rap
>>
Because 'conscious rap' is hip-hop's equivalent to political punk
The lyrics are shit, but the delivery still has a chance to be good.
>>
Conscious rap as a term was actually pretty dumb, pretty much anything that wasn't gangsta rap was called conscious.
>>
>>55356895
Nope. Kanye West, Erykah Badu, and Jay Z all buy into this shit. They just keep it under wraps (literally in Erykahs case lol) because they want them precious white man buxx

Another thing. I think there would be a lot more honesty and clarity if the majority of hip hop fans were not white. Or maybe if these white fans would stop putting these daishiki wearing false prophets (the daishiki can be metaphorical) on a fucking pedestal. Hip Hop has become a modern American Nigger Zoo. These people listen to hip hop and pretend that it is something profound, while dismissing the astounding ignorance of rappers with "well, it's a black thing, I can never understand.", Thus it keeps hip hop in a constant state of reliving it's past, while cleaning up certain aspects of it for mass consumption. Kanye West is not a philosophical genius, neither is Kendrick (he is just more cool headed than the rest of his peers). The only reason hip hop is heralded as the "CNN of black America" is because for a while they dind't have anything else.

I mean, There's nothing wrong with being white and liking hip hop, but pretending that Jim Jones tier gooblygock is "knowledge" because it has a fat bassline under it is dishonest and stupid.
>>
>>55357061
Which is ironic because gangster rap deals with reality, albeit embellished with tall tales and egomania. "conscious rap" deals with the fantasy world of a man who offed Malcom X because he got caught porking 16 year old girls and meeting with the American nazi party (seriously look this shit up)
>>
>>55357091

The "conscious rappers" hate Kanye and maybe Jay-Z. They'll make reference to Farrakhan and his ideas but do you think they're really about that life, especially to the extent that rappers from the '80s and '90s were?
>>
kendricks is jehovas isnt he?
>>
>>55357194
No but they still love and respect this man and demand that no one criticize them for doing so.

This is the man that is called a "prophet" by pretty much all of hip hop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDqmSYSonYw
>>
what about "conscious" white rappers? like slug, eyedea, blah blah the rest of slug's label.

but yeah i agree it's played out.
>>
You know what's funny? People have been talking about the message of this album, about it being "big words" with "no meaning", yet not a single one of you dense fuckers has even been able to grasp what it's really about.

Kendrick is dealing with different forces of racism and is looking for a way to cope.

His mother straight up tells him to stop acting like a victim, it'll never get him anywhere. Kendrick is taking a hit at black people, maybe even more direct at black people in social media, constantly playing the victim card. He has actually been attacked by a few black celebrities, including Azelia Banks, for that.

He is also implying that, additionally to systematic, structural racism, there is another form of racism in America. He goes one step farther and holds up a mirror for his black people:

If you behave like a gangbanger, if you live like a thug, if you talk like a moron and generally behave ignorant, then you are perpetuating racial stereotypes. A lot of black people, famous black people that the youngsters look up to, act like that. He's adressing the faults of the black community.

There is an essay by Frantz Fanon titled Black Skin, White Masks. Not like anyone here would have read that, but if you had maybe you would understand where Kendrick is coming from.

There is a mental image that us whiteys have of 'the nigga from the projects' and instead of offering a counterimage, media, like BET for example, just fixate that image even more. Kendrick has gotten so much shit for saying exactly that, saying that black people are part of the reason why racism still exists today. It's a bold message, in the end this album is not about a religious epiphany or about a black uprising, it's about respecting each other and acting fucking sane. Those are even the last words, I have no idea how anyone could miss that, but I guess that's /mu/ for you.
>>
>>55357289
all white rappers are conscious :^)
>>
>>55357303
OP here. I agree. Kendrick has pointed out the hypocrisy in "black thought" and it's hard for me to see it in the same way again.
>>
>>55356834
Even most "smart" niggers are still dumb as shit. Those 5% black power type faggots entire ideology hinges on denying objective historical fact and blatantly making shit up. I guess the groids with a slight amount of self-awareness have to use it to cope with the abysmal history of their people.
>>
Typical reactive garbage, OP. If somebody mentions some author it doesn't mean they agree with him on everything you've read about that author on wikipedia.
>>
>>55357303
>Not like anyone here would have read that
its not exactly obscure bro
>>
>>55356834
because the only alternative is admitting that blacks are in general naturally inclined toward that more so than other races

it's always just whining about cops, taking cheap digs at AmeriKKKA, saying mean shit about whites, constantly in the songs. I ignore it but when it comes down to it it detracts from the music for me because it's stupid, and I refuse to overlook stupidity in my assessment of art

I dont know why its so hard for them and liberals in general to admit harsh shit, when white people pretty much admit that asians are smarter in general than they are without whining and getting PC aobut it. it's stupid as fuck or maybe it's just politics but whatever, fuck that. republicans take heat for being idiots about shit, liberals do not deserve to get away with shit either

obviously thats not to say that intelligence is the most important thing in the world, it isnt. just that the whiny hipster liberal stuff advocated by pretty much every band is pretty much just whiny bullshit and not an accurate assessment of political reality

they're musicians not politicians. that said a lot of the nature/nurture and sort of realistic looking at things can unfortunately result in lesser minds becoming assholes and taking shit way too far. which explains why leftists are such bible thumping cunts about it all.
>>
>>55357330
>white people talking about things they know nothing about
>>
>>55357417
>being a nigger
>>
>>55356834
the question I keep asking is this: who the fuck let the leftists out of their cage?

the only reason people have to hide from the truth, hide themselves from it, is because leftists throughout the ages have forced progress on everyone based on irrationality and feel-good falsehood bullshit. the truth isn't even harsh... it's only difficult to live with because of the bullshit changes that liberals have forced everyone to live under. if that hadn't happened, the truth would still be speakable and everything would be chill.

what results is a world that is fucked up for everyone, nobody is happy except perhaps for the dummies and people who thrive under babying and handicapping everyone who actually is capable of unique thoughts

someone really needs to put the leftists back in their cage so that people can be happy and normal again
>>
>>55357317
audibly laughed
>>
>>55357417
The white man has an essential, biological, and authentic tendency towards Truth. The fact that you're not able to understand this implies you're not purely white, if at all, or a woman, or a homosexual: in other words, a degenerate. /s
>>
>>55357277

Eh I just don't care. Jay-Z having a line referring to that silly shit about a scientist creating white people is one thing, the old guy whose songs were all about NoI shit and now spends his time attacking Kanye, Jay-Z, Kendrick, whoever for promoting a gay agenda and leading to the emasculation of black men is another.

I don't expect musicians to apologize for whatever crazy shit they might be into anyways, never stopped me from listening to Death in June or whatever.
>>
>>55357091
find me a kanye reference to either of those things
>>
/b/tier retardation itt

reported lel.
>>
>>55357659
>having a line
more then a line , try an entire song/songs and signing an artist that exclusively raps about it
>>
>>55357641
E P I C
P
I
C
>>
>>55357251
All you have to do is listen to the first track on gkmc..
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2kJ96jNY
>>
>>55357696
except not really
>>
File: yiff the jewels.png (756 KB, 610x542) Image search: [Google]
yiff the jewels.png
756 KB, 610x542
how come literally every "conscious rapper" i've ever heard is a sexual deviant?
>>
>>55357530
>the question I keep asking is this: who the fuck let the leftists out of their cage?
i know why you keep asking that question. it's because you can't explain how it is possible that the truth and rationality and strength didn't win the history when they should according to the truth itself. how come this degeneracy prevailed over the natural if the natural is supposed to be more natural than that degeneracy?
>>
>>55356834
it's honestly really disconnecting because some of my favorite artists are ignorant asshole and some of my favorite albums are outright racist garbage

DOOM is (or at least, used to be, no clue if he still is) involved in all that shit. Black Bastards is some of my favorite work from him but there's a ton of 5% shit in KMD.
>>
>>55357821

The natural doesn't exist, it's all simulacra
>>
>>55357696
>announcing reports
enjor ur ban dumbass
>>
>>55357839
but that's just cultural marxist propaganda :^)
>>
>>55357831
doom was into nuwaubian shit, even weirder than 5%
>>
>>55357289
imagine how awkward it must be to be like El-P or someone and working with these dudes who refer to you as a friend and whom you've known for years, and then they get in the booth and start spitting some racist nonsense and just casually go like "hey man how was that take" or w/e

Gangsta Gibbs is %5 as well
>>
>>55357906

El-P's hate flows outward so he probably wouldn't care
>>
>>55357906
>Gangsta Gibbs is %5 as well
[citation needed]
>>
>>55357878
explain?

KMD literally have a music video that's them trying to pick up girls while hawking NoI bullshit in NYC
>>
Here's the answer OP:

You have a warped view of what people actually believe. You have no experience being black so when you hear people complain about what happens to them and people who look like them you automatically assume they and their opinions are some caricature of a stereotype, rather than realizing individuals are fucking individuals and lots of people have lots of different ideas, opinions, experiences, and reasons for thinking how they do.

You, and every 4chan faggot who types out the n-word in post and then giggles to themselves about how cool it is to be anonymous on the internet, are stupid, uneducated, and have no desire to correct either of these things. You type shit for a reaction, you aren't interested in learning about what the world is really like, and you assume your personal experience speaks for every human being who ever lived.
>>
Reminder that El-P and Killer Mike aka Run The Jewels believe that jet fuel can't melt steel beams
>>
>>55358061
the op wasnt even that bad holy triggered
>>
>>55358091

Good.
>>
>>55356834
You wanna hear some conscious shit from real intelligent african americans? Listen to Gil Scott Heron.

"Never can the man make a working structure for Black Capitalism, always does the man read Mao or Fanon."
>>
>>55358091
who does believe that
>>
farrahkan on 9/11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXqTcw8Q4f0

pol would like him
>>
>>55358131
>>55358128
I suppose I should have phrased that as in "they believe in 9/11 conspiracy theories"
jet fuel can't melt steel beams but it can make it weak like a piece of butter would get soft but not turn into complete liquid, leading to collapse
>>
>all these rappers are 5%ers
are there any sources to this that don't just refer to their slang?
i mean, it makes sense to me that some rappers use certain phrases (e.g. "dropping science") simply because those phrases have become widespread within that subculture.
it also makes sense to me that some of these rappers also like some of the ideas that can be connected to 5% nation without actually identifying themselves as 5%ers or even knowing that those ideas are connected to 5% nation (just like confession is originally a Christian thing, but that doesn't mean talking about your past mistakes automatically makes you a Christian).
>>
>>55358292

People like to cite Wu-Tang but as far as I know, RZA was really the only one, everyone else did what you said, used phrases and references that spread.
>>
>>55358046
> Wasn't think 'bout religion when she told me the dick bomb
>But then she up and left me cause I practice Islam
>I guess Mom told her that the boy ain't right
>And she gon' pray to Jesus Christ to take me out of her life

given that he constantly talks about smoking and drinking and banging bitches and shit, it's p safe to assume it's NoI or 5% or whatever bastardized version of Islam
>>
File: paulwall.jpg (210 KB, 448x570) Image search: [Google]
paulwall.jpg
210 KB, 448x570
>>55357317
finally my message is understood
>>
File: jay-bey-five-percent.jpg (108 KB, 630x378) Image search: [Google]
jay-bey-five-percent.jpg
108 KB, 630x378
>>55358292
>>
>>55358382
interesting
>>
>>55358579
it's kinda depressing
>>
>>55358824
what the el p thing?
>>
>>55358357
>RZA is affiliated with the Nation of Gods and Earths and usually wears the NGE Universal Flag as a necklace. He is commonly seen and heard dealing with NGE culture (which include the Supreme Mathematics and the Supreme Alphabet). He also has taken on various aspects of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Islam, and Christianity as stated in his book The Wu-Tang Manual which he talks about thoroughly in The Tao of Wu in order to expand his spiritual growth. He has gone on to state that Qur'an, The Bible, and Lotus Sutra are three of his favorite books, stating that each of the three contain enlightenment.
Sounds pretty similar to those religious tourists seeking "personal growth" that you find on /lit/.

>>55358559
>Jay-Z wearing that necklace
Maybe kinda similar thing as above, but he clearly also has a /fa/ thing going on.

In any case, I wouldn't care too much about little shit like that. It would be relevant if it showed up in their lyrics and political opinions.
>>
>>55357664
Not the same guy but he's right as fuck

"Drug dealer buy Jordans, crackhead buy crack
And a white man get paid off of all of that"
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.