[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion on vaporwave?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: a0431781607_10.jpg (74 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
a0431781607_10.jpg
74 KB, 500x500
What's your opinion on vaporwave?
>>
Shit.
>>
File: 907875.jpg (52 KB, 533x480) Image search: [Google]
907875.jpg
52 KB, 533x480
>VICA VICA VICA music
>>
>>55311828
That's not vaporwave
>>
It was cool like 3 years ago.
>>
it's stupid
>>
i prefer vapourwave
>>
Is there a more shitty music "genre"?

It's literally slowed down music made by 16 year olds who get old anime images from tumblr.
>>
Honestly it was a really good concept, which in the right hands could have actually spawned some decent music and interesting ideas forward, and also some important discussions about how modern consumerism and technology affects our state of mind. Nostalgia of 90's consumerism and ergonomics is a really interesting subject and we'll likely go through the same thing with today's society in 20 years down the line or so.

Sadly it fell into the hands of anti-intellectuals who made it into a running joke and didn't have the foresight or technical ability to develop it and make anything interesting.

I still maintain art galleries missed a huge trick with this, and exhibitions based on modern nostalgia, the whole concept would have been perfect for modern artists who like this kind of thing, and would have given them a break from the drivel they usually produce.
>>
It's shit.
>>
Sounds cool, but is usually glorified chopped and screwed music or "Getting to know your PC!" -esque cheap beats. Lame, and detrimental to art. Relies on a lame retro-futuristic aesthetic that has been run into the ground, and requires little skill to make. It hides behind it's "irony" so when called out as shitty art by the consumer, it's just that we don't "get it" or it's not sincere so it doesn't matter. Irony in art can be good, but the genre (if you can even call it that) completely overdoes it.

fuck vaporwave.
>>
Were there memegenres after vaporwave?
>>
>Vaporwave is categorized under "internet memes" on wikipedia

Keko. Literally meme music.
>>
http://darksleep.bandcamp.com/album/electronic-life
this is how you do it
>>
>>55312062

shoegaze is the new meme genre
>>
guilty pleasure
>>
>>55311984
Dream Catalogue have been putting on vaporwave art exhibitions. They're doing one this weekend in Paris.
>>
>>55312062
memerap
oceangrunge
sportswave
>>
File: 1428856891795.png (782 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1428856891795.png
782 KB, 1000x1000
Post vaporwave
>>
honestly thinks its one of the most interesting genres currently running.
>>
I love the aesthetic, but you really only need like 5 or 6 albums and you've explored everything the genre has to offer.
>>
seriously the people still listening to vaporwave are new as fuck.
>>
>>55314562
>ever listening to vaporwave

stay memer
>>
>>55311828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EFwviQo0MA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hI0qMtdfng

I love vaporwave

Also pic related. Blockland can be vaporwave as fuck with it's low poly graphics and nostalgia value.
>>
Shit for the most part but when done right i believe it could potentially be the best genre. For everyone who says it's objectively shit i suggest you dig a little deeper.
>>
Pure aesthetic.
>>
>>55311828

the people getting butthurt n shit, dont really get vaporwave, I think vaporwave was never meant to be taken seriously, thats why there are so many shit vaporwave songs, that being said, there are some good tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz9T-ZR4ApE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYQrPsyu-1s
>>
vapor wave is bae
>>
>>55311900
This
>>
tumblr got its grubby hands on vaporwave and killed it like 3 years ago
>>
File: a3523847771_10.jpg (332 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
a3523847771_10.jpg
332 KB, 900x900
Is pic related vaporwave?

Because this shit is ballin.
>>
>>55315743
really there are only so many shitty vaporwave songs because everyone wanted to be mac plus

vaporwave split early on, eccojams was more sampled like mac plus, and farside virtual was more actual midi instrumentation.

mac plus came around and made the sound alot more accessible and from that everyone wanted to drop the next popular album and it just went downhill after that

though some people are still doing it right
>>
Best genre ever.
>>
Probably my favorite genre of electronic music. Spoiled by sperglords who decided that anything with an aesthetic they were too dumb to understand was a meme.
>>
>>55311915
slowed down relative to..?
>>
>>55318201
No it's not
>>
>>55318201
This yes, also check out anything on Keats Collective
>>
>>55312983
while i'm glad sportswave never took off, i'm glad for the few days folks tried it. wound up making some footwork/breakcore from spliced Toe songs instead.
>>
love the aesthethic, not the music
>>
File: 1424427587367.jpg (379 KB, 707x707) Image search: [Google]
1424427587367.jpg
379 KB, 707x707
>shitty thread about vaporwave
wow im so surprised!
>>
>>55311828
I like that album
>>
>>55311828
Fuck that album. Shit like this and Yung Bae are poison.
>>
>>55318754
the shitty nineties muzak that it quite literally is
>>
File: 1413377837233.jpg (600 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1413377837233.jpg
600 KB, 700x700
>>55318877
While I understand why it didn't become popular on the scale of vaporwave, it kinda breaks my heart that it didn't become a semi-obscure /mu/ thing that would be posted every know and again.
Sadly, it lasted ~2 exciting days.
>>
>>55311984
>Honestly it was a really good concept,
Heh, well memed my friend.
>>
>>55318201
absolutely not
>>
why is it so hard for people to hear the difference between vaporwave and future funk
>>
>>55318201
Yeah, don't listen to those people trying to label as "Future Funk" or other bullshit. The genre is small enough as is, no need to add more autistic stratification.
>>
it's not 2011 so it is utterly irrelevant

might as well talk about witch house or sea punk or crystal castles

shit is long gone. people taking vaporwave seriously now remind me of people taking "scene-core" seriously now, you know, with the poofy hair and stupid piercings and listening to terrible metalcore bands. look, there was a time and place for that, and it was myspace in 2005-2006. just like there was a time and place for vaporwave; tumblr in 2011 and early 2012. anywhere else and any time after these dates you're just embarrassing yourself.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.