[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well produced/mixed albums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6
File: daftpunk2.jpg (97 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
daftpunk2.jpg
97 KB, 1920x1080
Daft Punk's RAM is surprisingly well produced, especially for a pop record. Beats the production of Discovery out of the water, really (the actual quality of the composition and music is another matter entirely…)

But what other albums feature extremely good production? I've heard the first RATM album is "the" record audiophiles use for testing sound systems, and that Aphex Twin EP that came out a while ago (Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP) sounds pretty good, as well (though at times I really do think it could be better; is it just me or are the low-mids distorting a little sometimes?).
>>
File: ratm-ratm.jpg (184 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
ratm-ratm.jpg
184 KB, 700x700
>>
File: Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg (25 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
Swans_To_Be_Kind.jpg
25 KB, 658x658
not exactly surprising, they seemed to be striving for a clean dynamic mix since the reformation
>>
File: donald fagen the nightfly.jpg (496 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
donald fagen the nightfly.jpg
496 KB, 1024x1024
This is another famously well produced one
>>
Devin Townsend: The Thread
>>
File: steely-dan-aja-front.jpg (9 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
steely-dan-aja-front.jpg
9 KB, 400x400
>>55223901
This too for that matter

>>55223917
??
>>
>>55223416
what do you guys consider to make something "well produced?"

just curious

this RATM album is undoubtedly well produced

but listen to something like Oasis - Definitely Maybe and that production is just as good, actually better imo a different aesthetic

the equipment informs it a lot, no?

can you guys explain what you are listening for?

for the record I think RAM is tinny sounding and very digital the drums are terrrrrribly mixed. sounds like a poorly mixed studio drummer, the crashes are soulless, the snare is very badly EQed. thin.
>>
>>55223985
OK forgive me I just saw I have a 192 version which I somehow only just realized

the album is good though, its ok
>>
File: 042282430021[1].jpg (29 KB, 401x400) Image search: [Google]
042282430021[1].jpg
29 KB, 401x400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8pn9FQV1s
>>
>>55223362
Honestly I think Computer controlled acoustic instruments was just recorded with whatever Richard had lying around.
>>
>>55223947
Devin Townsend is a very dedicated producer and musician whose work that he considers "unfinished" or "crap" is actually better produced than most musicians' commerical works. I really can't do his efforts justice in trying to describe them—especially right now. Go listen to Ocean Machine: Biomech, City (under the "Strapping Young Lad" moniker), or Terria—but you could take (just about) anything that he has released as a good example; his work spans many genres.
Below is a bit of what he has done. Obligatory Youtube quality comment intensifies.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xnoXJy9mjmE

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mwUiAo54BVM
>>
>>55223985
RAM was recorded on entirely analog equipment to emulate the disco sound they were going for
>>
>>55224427
This, although there was still digital processing involved.
>>
>>55224398
>not posting synchestra
>not posting any DTP stuff
come on, those are his best production efforts. terria is his best album, but not necessarily for its impressive production.

>>55223947
this should explain everything you want to know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ws_h-xVI7U
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.