[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come the Beatles have/had the best melodies? that's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4
File: 1425835042208.jpg (338 KB, 900x1340) Image search: [Google]
1425835042208.jpg
338 KB, 900x1340
How come the Beatles have/had the best melodies? that's the most interesting thing about their music
How did they do it? did they talk about it?
>>
I prefer The Elvis meldoies
>>
I would give her a melodie if you know what I mean and by melodie I mean my dick
>>
it was the drugs that wrote the music, they were just empty vessels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_McKenna#.22Stoned_ape.22_theory_of_human_evolution
>>
The thing I notice about the Beatles' melodies is that they would flip it so it sounds like multiple keys/moods were being played. What I mean by this is, they would play a sequence of a chord or 2, then another 2 that still fit in the key but also made a key of their own. Check out I'm only sleeping. It does this. Two chords in e minor (e minor, a minor), then two chords in g major (g major, c major). In the short time g major and c major are played, John sings a major melody. So the song kind of meanders between major and minor. From what I recall, a lot of their songs do this kind of meandering, which covers a lot of bases from emotional and melodic perspective, while still keeping the song relatively simple.
>>
THE FACT THAT
>>
how about you shut up and post more sky
>>
>>55214427
Jesus, is anyone willing to talk about how FUCKING hot Sky looks in this pic..
>>
Fucking "Girl" and "Hello Goodbye"
>>
>>55214427
I've always preferred The Beach Boys' melodies.
>>
I would defile her in the ass
>>
>>55214531
But they didn't know music theory or writing music?
>>
if youa re a good songwriter, and you take drugs, you'll be even more inventive. idk, i think being high puts you more in tune with rhythm or something. maybe it takes your mind off the process a lil. i dont know. when im super high i can visualize rhythm easier, and i just get more ideas coming to my head, and i pay more attention to details like timbre
>>
>>55214427
>mfw I couldn't decide if this was the bitch from Twilight or the other bitch from The Pretty Reckless

Still confused....
>>
>>55214595
>>55214601
This is the music board. Perhaps you're looking for /s/?
>>
Discipline, perfectionism and the mutual collaboration between Mccartney and Lennon. Harrison learnt by imitation.
>>
>>55214668
it's Sky Ferreira you swine
>>
>>55214649
You don't have to know theory to do things like that in music. It's just intuition for some. Plus, as much as musicians like to let on that they "don't know theory", the Beatles knew what chords they were playing, and knew when they were sounding "happy" or "sad" (major/minor).

It wasn't like Lennon was sitting there like "Alright now I'm going to go play the perfect fifth of this chord..." Nah. He just played and wrote and it came out like that. I'm just showing you why what they did is so good/catchy, and I don't even know much about theory.
>>
>>55214531
this is really interesting, i'm going to try this out
>>
>>55214427
who is this and why is she felating that poor microphone
>>
>>55214488

you stoned ape shills need to fuck off
>>
>>55214791
As someone who has passed all college level theory courses with flying colors and then some jazz theory courses on top of that, this is true.

It's funny because I see a lot of theory discussion on here where people are using roman numerals, but once you get to theory IV they tell you that that's a completely arbitrary concept in modern music. And considering we're over 100 years past modern music at this point it makes the entire thing laughable. Even old jazz theory is funny.
>>
>>55214861

i doubt he had all the details correct, but i think terrence did have a point about the role of psychedelics in the past. at low levels, especially, they do provide lots of benefits
>>
Lennon vs McCartney?
As vocalists
>>
>>55215049
I dunno man, i have not really found more than 10 chords in all of the succesful songs of the last 50 years.
>>
>>55215580
McCartney has both better range and voice
>>
>>55215580
Lennon, way better lyrics and a rawer sound
>>
>>55216547
Then why did he die??
>>
>>55215580
macca, more versatile voice and better range
>>
>>55215580
paul is better. lennon is more expressive though.
>>
>>55214601
Her odd shape face is hidden from the sideways shot, so she looks much more hot
also her legs and skirt
>>
>>55214487
You'd have to do it in the rare hour a day window she's sober for it not to be raep
>>
>>55214427
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>55216571
He got shot by some faggot
>>
>Best melodies
>Wussy
pick both.

also, has anyone been able to download the Public Domain EP?
>>
File: skiley.png (363 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
skiley.png
363 KB, 612x612
>>55214830
>>55214601
>>55214668
Dude shes top tier. She literally hangs around with Miley Cyrus taking topless pictures and probably tribbing and shit
>>
i've noticed with my favorite beatles melodies it's not just note choice but timing choices that are just as important.

phrasing is key.
>>
File: ggnigga.png (172 KB, 500x352) Image search: [Google]
ggnigga.png
172 KB, 500x352
They had bad voice leading.
>>
Yes were better in that aspect.
>>
>>55217746
she's got drug problems and probably aids. not sure what waifu metric you're using but it's not a standard one.
>>
File: skyordy.jpg (128 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
skyordy.jpg
128 KB, 500x750
>>55218734
>she's got drug problems

HNNNNG

>tfw no junkie waifu that lays passed out in your bed all day
>>
>>55215580
lennon went places paul never went anywhere near going (Mother, Twist and Shout, Well, Well, Well)
>>
>>55217409
>The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

I don't think there's anywhere near the consensus among Jazz or Classical critics for the choices you ascribe as there is among pop music critics that the Beatles are the form's greatest band.

If you don't think the Beatles are the greatest or most significant or most influential, that's fine, but I would be interested to know what band you think is.
>>
>>55219255
>>55219255
being this new
>>
>>55219255
Not him, but "the greatest or most significant or most influential" artist would be Frank Zappa.
Also, from what I have seen, the consensus among Jazz critics is always on Mingus/Miles/Coltrane and Armstrong.
>>
>>55219255
kek
>>
>>55219344
Mingus isn't usually in their. That's more a side effect of being on /Mu/. Usually those three plus Ellington.
Great thing about scaruffi is that he doesn't mention Armstrong who is the most widely revered among the big jazz names. Both by jazz critics and otherwise. Scaruffi sees him as a footnote though and his page on Armstrong is just embarrassing for someone who claims to be as knowlegable as he does.
>>
>>55218594
That's why Billie Holiday is among the best. Phrasing
>>
>>55219344
>Not him, but "the greatest or most significant or most influential" artist would be Frank Zappa

Zappa is great, but I'm not sure what the argument for his significance or influence would be.
>>
>>55219457
His page on Armstrong is not as bad as people say it is, it's just that people take what he says way too literally.
Even then, compare him to any other music critic. He's the best one there is (from what I have seen so far).

>>55219549
I don't see the Beatles argument for saying that, but if you really want to know, Zappa was the first Experimental Rock artist. Thanks to him genres like Krautrock and Progressive Rock exist, was one of the first Jazz-Rock artists, and influenced a lot of psychedelic and experimental rock artists (including The Beatles).
>>
>>55215580
McCartney had better melodies. Lennon was a more interesting person generally.
>>
>>55214427
>>55217746
>tfw when you will never chill with Sky and smoke a blunt around a fire at night
>tfw she will never gently rest her head onto your shoulder and look up at you while your friends don't notice and keep drinking and chatting
>tfw you will never go back to your tent together and cuddle
>tfw when she will never wear her cutie black dress for you so you can easily get to her panties
>tfw Miley will never sneak into the tent to join you guys for a hushed, but heated threeway
>>
>>55219609
>I don't see the Beatles argument for saying that, but if you really want to know, Zappa was the first Experimental Rock artist. Thanks to him genres like Krautrock and Progressive Rock exist, was one of the first Jazz-Rock artists, and influenced a lot of psychedelic and experimental rock artists (including The Beatles).

The Beatles significance and influence is pretty secure, regardless, I think. I don't know if Zappa is the first experimental rock artist or if he's just the first one you know of, but I would grant that he is one of the first artists of the rock era to think of himself as a capital-C Composer.

I don't think the Beatles existed or created in a vacuum, but Zappa's influence on them is no more profound than a good number of other artists. It's not like they heard Freak Out and started doing novelty versions of Doo Wop songs.
>>
>>55214667
I feel you dude.
>>
>>55219770
however, they did cite Freak Out! as an inspiration for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. specifically, they said they wanted it to be their Freak Out!
>>
>>55219770
>The Beatles significance and influence is pretty secure, regardless, I think.
Same with Zappa.
Still, you can't use as an argument that something is "pretty secure".

>I don't know if Zappa is the first experimental rock artist or if he's just the first one you know of
He definitely was. The only band before him that was (only very slightly) experimental were The Monks, but they were far from being truly experimental.

>but I would grant that he is one of the first artists of the rock era to think of himself as a capital-C Composer.
What do you mean?

>I don't think the Beatles existed or created in a vacuum, but Zappa's influence on them is no more profound than a good number of other artists.
>According to David Fricke, the album was a major influence on The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.[31] Paul McCartney regarded Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as The Beatles' Freak Out![32] However, Zappa criticized the Beatles, as he felt they were "only in it for the money".[33]
It does seem that Zappa's influence on Sgt. Pepper was the biggest one.

>It's not like they heard Freak Out and started doing novelty versions of Doo Wop songs.
Freak Out is way more than just Doo Wop songs.
>>
>>55219814
>however, they did cite Freak Out! as an inspiration for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. specifically, they said they wanted it to be their Freak Out!

Well, Paul did, but it's difficult to discern exactly how that is made manifest in anything on the album, aside from the gatefold cover.
>>
>>55214667
different drugs do different things for different people. I feel like some of them put me outside of the box that's my usual perception. Alcohol lowers my inhibition and makes me feel more primal in a way, music sounds different and deeper. Weed makes me feel like i'm part of the music and moving with it. Mushrooms are like being tapped into your base instincts and unlocking the archives of your mind. LSD is like being tapped into the vibrating rhythm of the universe. It sounds like stupid hippie dippie bullshit until you try it.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.